You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Dark Thing, Wish I Knew What It Was

Real Ghost Stories

A Dark Thing, Wish I Knew What It Was

 

This is kind of old, but I've never come to a satisfactory conclusion on what it was, and I'd like some help in figuring it out and making sure it can never come back to me again.

I was fairly young, maybe eleven when it first came, and it terrified me. I had until then always slept easily, but insomnia laid its curse upon me at that time in my life, and it came with it. I would wake suddenly, shivering under my blankets no matter how warm the room was, and it would be there, looking down at me. It was always in the same corner of the room, no matter where I put the bed, and always somehow crouched up in the corner where the ceiling met the walls. It was a scrawny, long limbed thing, humanoid in shape, but with arms and legs far too thin that ended in long bony fingerlike appendages with clawed tips on both sets of limbs. It had no identifying changes in color, and a round, featureless head, but I could always feel it looking at me, however it did so.

My sleep got worse, but it didn't increase the frequency of my seeing it, maybe once a week or so. I wasn't fond of horror movies or books, nor did it come on specific nights that I might be able to say 'Man, I gotta lay off the tacos, they give me weird nightmares.' And I wasn't asleep, I know the difference in feeling between the 'almost awake but dreaming' state and the 'awake' state. Then I began to feel it stalking me in the daytime, somehow. It was never visible then, but I felt it whenever I went up or down the staircase to my room, causing me to rush in either direction to keep it away. It never came at night when someone was there with me for a sleepover, nor did it stalk me in the day if I had a friend over to go up the stairs with me. Most of my pets didn't react in the room, but they made no effort to go up to it either, and the pet fish I would occasionally have would go belly up relatively fast, and I didn't overfeed them or starve them, and kept their water nice and fresh.

The Thing, as I came to think of it, continued to come for about two years, sometimes with longer breaks in its appearances, until my Grandfather died when I was about thirteen. Six months after that, I woke to see The Thing cowering back in its corner as best it could, with a large, vaguely luminous figure holding a baseball shaped bat in its hands standing next to my bed. My Grandfather had been talented at baseball until he took shrapnel in the arm during WWII, and I remain convinced to this day that he put The Thing in its place about me. A week later, my Dad was bringing my brother home from school and looked up to see my Grandfather sitting on the porch, and my Mom, who believes more in things that are not of this particular plane then my Dad, went through the house with ceremonially blessed sage and a cleansing prayer, and after that The Thing did not show itself again.

As I've said, The Thing hasn't been back since then, but lately I feel nervous, and would like to know what it might have been and if there are ways to make sure its spindly form doesn't take up residence in my life once again, so any help would be great.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilymoncat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DonutIsBack (12 posts)
-2
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Looks like demon trying to invade your house
Dont waste time, cleanse your house as soon as possible
MaryRiddle (4 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-03)
Demon trying to invade your life. There's something important you are meant to do soon. You hvae an important role to play in someone's life or in many lives. My suggestion, depending on your religion, keep a Bible or something for protection from your religion. A similar thing happened to me once, and I too have insomnia, so it's probably that.:/
lilymoncat (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, things got hectic in my home life and are only now getting somewhat back on track. I think Rook was right, that it was a Goblin or something, and thankfully it hasn't come back. Maybe I was just worrying because my Dad had died earlier that year and that disturbed my sleep patterns for awhile.

And Darkmage55, thank you for the information, and I have had that often enough, but this was different. As I said, with I know the difference between 'awake' and 'almost awake but dreaming'. There's a slightly 'gelid' feeling to that state that was completely absent from these. If it wasn't a goblin, but a demon, it clearly was not a very strong one, and it has long since left me in peace.
Darkmage55 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
i would also agree that the thing you saw was most likely a demon. As scary as that sound, it seems to be the most likely based off your description. As for what some of the other posters said about shadow people I also believe that it could be that although your experiance is much diffrent than the ones I have. I know you said that you know the diffrence between being awake and asleep but there is a condition that can be brought on by lack of sleep called hypnagogia that puts you in a position between being awake and being asleep. While in this condition you can be completely aware of you and your enviroment around you while still being in a dream like state. While in this state you can see what has been called shadow people and the experience in diffrent from person to person, also it can bring on a sense of overwhelming dread and fear.
I am not trying to discredit you account and tell you you are wrong. I am simply trying to give you another option to what you saw and why.
ghostboi (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
first of all its good to know your grandfather was able to get rid of this thing and second this a demon I have in fact seen 3 times in my life it feeds off stress and it can be very dangerous
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
I really liked that your grandpa came and put the smack down. I agree with the others, your grandpa will be there to protect you. I'm glad to read a story about a shadow person that seemed to end well and come to some sort of resolution. Thanks for sharing!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
What a creepy critter! I think your gramps taught it a lesson for sure. If it ever gets cocky and starts showing itself to you again, just think about your grandpa and imagine him surrounding you in white light and protecting you. That thing won't stand a chance. You can always do the same sage cleansing your mom did again. I am guessing she also saw something, since she believed you enough to cleanse the house.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
As always great advice by rook I do hope you do this ritual and it eases any nerves you are beginning to get.

I think it was very sweet of your grand father to protect you in the after life from whatever it was, I hope the cleansing ritual given to you here helps you, please keep us posted
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
lilymoncat,

Welcome and well met. I have read your encounter multiple times now and my first impression stands...

Goblin...

Not sure why, but as I was reading your decription of it that was the impression I got...

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin (yes it's wikipedia, but it covers the basics...)

Http://www.helium.com/items/1927467-european-mythology-goblins (has a decent description as well)

Here is a Sheild/Cleansing technique I use that should help in this situation...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: