You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Last Goodbye And The Night Guest

Real Ghost Stories

The Last Goodbye And The Night Guest

 

The following experiences are mainly my mother's. The first experience took place in Missouri, where my mother lived at the time. She was pretty young, about ten years old, and her grandmother was in the hospital. Things weren't looking too good for her grandma, so her mother was in the hospital too despite the late hour.

My mom shared a room with her sister, and they were lying in their beds. The only other person in the house was their father. It was a two-story house, and their father was upstairs. My mom and her sister were abruptly awakened by the creaking of footsteps approaching the top of the staircase. Their room door was closed, so my mom loudly cried out, "Dad?"

No one answered, but the footsteps were getting extremely close.

My mom yelled, "Dad?" once more, but to no avail.

The sound of footsteps reached to the foot of their door, and then all was silent. My mom was sitting up in her bed at this point, facing their room door. Suddenly, the door swung open; but no one was there. Absolutely terrified, my mother and her sister watched in disbelief as the door closed by itself. My mom was hiding under her blanket as the footsteps descended the staircase and faded away.

Not a second later, the phone rang. Their dad answered the phone and told the girls that their mom just called to announce their grandma had passed away.

The next part of these events are further in the future and take place in Nevada. My childhood home was haunted, and my experiences there are already published. My parents have both experienced odd things at the same house.

My dad was watching TV one afternoon, and he saw something quite disturbing outside the window. On the patio, one of the chairs slid fluidly from one end to the other. It stayed upright the entire time and it slid consistantly until it reached the end of the patio. This happened in broad daylight and there was absolutely no wind outside.

My mom had a particular and ongoing experience at that house. It always happened when my dad was out of town or not in the room. I still remember how terrified she was the first time it happened to her and she told me about it. Some time during the night, my mom woke up out of the blue. Immediately, the bed sank in, exactly as if someone were sitting right next to her. Visually, no one was there. The overwhelming sensation of not being alone overcame her, and she was frozen in bed for what felt like an eternity. The human-like indentation went away, lifting the bed back to normal. The terrible feeling went away promptly after that.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened a number of times throughout the years. Although it isn't much easier to deal with for her, it has never worsened or done anything harmful. It just sits on my mom's bed for a short amount of time at night, then leaves.

About 6 months ago, my mom informed me that it happened again, but with a significant difference. She explained how the same events took place, only instead of the invisible presence, my grandma was right next to her. She looked at my mom and told her, "Rachel is going to be okay." Then, as usual, everything went back to normal.

My grandma passed away 11 years ago. She was an amazing woman and I still miss her every day. Thank you so much for reading.

Rachel

Other hauntings by PrettyInPain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PrettyInPain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
strawberry-wolf,

Sweetie, you're making me teary eyed. I am so sorry you lost your mother at a young age. I really can't imagine how hard that had to be. I used to cry just thinking about losing my mom when I was little. I know your mom is looking out for you. There is a very special bond between mothers and their children that lasts beyond this physical world. Thank you so much for your kind words, it means the world to me. Thank you for your advice about my grandma. I wrote her a letter a couple weeks ago when I really missed her and was sad. Writing the letter helped. Well I wish you the best today and every day. Blessings right back at you and your family.

❤ PiP
strawberry-wolf (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
i know how you feel I lost my mother when I was very young and I know that she is watching over me don't be afraid it is just your grandmother watching over you keeping you safe as she always had to your mom when she was alive. She maybe haven't met you at the time but she must be really fond of you as to watch over you and making sure you take the path that you won't regret. Maybe the chair thing was because she wanted to let you know that she is there so don't be afraid try talking to her/him, just try letting em know that you are aware of their presence and mean no harm I know she loves you and I know that you love her to so just try to let her know that you know she is there

Bless your family and your grandmother is always watching you I loved your story

Strawberry -wolf ❤
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
deejayy53,

You're so very kind, I appreciate your comment so much. It would be nice to think that my grandma caused the chair thing. Since it was directed at my dad, I don't know what to think about who or what caused it. He has lost a lot of loved ones. His dad passed when my dad was only 16, his mom passed when I was in 3rd grade, his cousin passed by suicide (I'm not sure when because it was a long time ago), and his sister passed recently (too recently for the chair movement to be her doing). He also lost some very dear friends in really awful ways (one to suicide and one to murder). I definitely think it could have been any of his friends or loved ones, and I hope it was. But I also know that a lot of people passed away very close to the house and that the previous owners were affiliated with the mob. So it could have been anyone, really. Thank you so much for reading my story. Have a blessed day.

PiP 😁
deejayy53 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
Sounds to me like its your grandma is with you guys protecting you. And maybe with the chair thing its probagbly just your grandma making her presents known in alittle bit of an playful way. I wouldn't be to too worried about this if its just your grandma 😁
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
Jav,

I did read both parts of your second story finally. I wanted to read them for a while and I honestly don't know why I haven't gotten around to it yet. I totally love your mom's nonchalance about "George," haha! And I now see what you mean by how the moving chair (or chairs and candles in your case) would feel better after knowing it wasn't done in a malevolent manner. Anyway, sorry it took me so long to read your story. 😢
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PIP,
Well don't go feeling bad about it, it's alright. I can't expect that you would anyway. So it's cool.
I wrote them a while back, most of the new people don't know about them anyway. So it's no big deal, I promise you.

Jav 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Jav,

I didn't read your other two yet, I'm sorry for asking about what you already wrote about 😢 I even thought I should have checked before asking but wasn't sure if it was part of the ones you were going to publish in the future.

PiP
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PIP,
Sorry, I thought you had read my other stories, it's all in there, I just realized you had only read the one about my sister. Never mind.

Jav
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Oh my gosh, you guys are all so wonderful. I am so glad I found a place to share these experiences and read others' experiences as well.

Zzsgranny-
I know, I was just outside and the shade is even intolerable! Bah, I suppose I have an excuse for being so pale. Even the "winters" here are like a hot version of spring, lol! We definitely aren't as haunted as some parts of the US, but I have certainly enjoyed the stories about your mischevious ghosties. 😊 I have a book that claims the Luxor is haunted in the rooms, but I stayed their for my 21st birthday and I did not have anything odd occur.

Taz-
Thank you so much for your kind words. I agree that it was their grandmother checking on the girls. The timing was just spot on. It is truly nice to know our loved ones visit us when they can. I believe it happens more often than people might think. And as for the chair thing, my dad sure didn't like it. I could tell it didn't sit well with him. It means a lot to me that you liked my story. Thank you for reading it.


Jav-
I forgot to write back earlier about the chair. I'm sorry that happened to you! Was this an ongoing occurance? And geez, Reno HAS changed! I bet it was a big adjustment for you to get used to the Arizona heat, eh? Thank goodness for those beautiful desert sunsets, otherwise I'm not sure why all three of us put up with this heat! Haha 😉
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
[at] granny wow 118 and only just post menapausal?
You have had a good life to make it to 118 lmao
Sorry but when I first read the comment that's what ran through my mind, but you know me I can be strange/stupid/taken in/fooled/ (delete where wrong) sometimes and I thought that was funny!

I need coffee quick 😆
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PIP and granny,
Yeah, you guys have it bad today!
You're right pip, the weather in Reno is heavenly, and whenever we visit there we always feel like idiots for moving. Until we start driving around that is! What used to be 4 lane streets are now 8 lanes and all the hillsides are covered with new housing. It's enough to send us running back home every time!

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PIP: 118 today, I'm gonn'a die, I tell ya! 😆...This really isn't the place for post-menopausal women 😆
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
prettinpain how sweet is this, thank you for sharing.

It is always nice to know that loved ones do come back to visit when they can, and I do think it was the grandmother checking on the girls one last time.

Personaly I think the chair thing would freek anyone out.

Wonderful story
Carl
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PIP: Wow, so cool!...I feel that experiences involving our loved ones are the best!...

I'm going to sound like Jave's echo 😆, but where in Nevada are you from?...I live in Las Vegas, and there really isn't a whole lotta haunting going on here... Not like some other places in the US... Most hauntings here are in private residences...

Thank you for posting, and looking forward to more...
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Jav,

Thank you so very much for reading my story and the very nice comment. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but my grandma was a sensitive. I know what you mean about it sounding like SP, but I am glad my grandma appeared the last time. It really makes me feel good.

I'm from Vegas, baybay. I haven't been to Reno in years, so I was unaware of the growth there. I always saw it as a mini-mini-Vegas. I sure did like the weather in Reno in comparison to this massive, dry, hell pit!


PiP
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PrettyInPain,
Aaw! I like that. At first I was getting the feeling that maybe it could be SP, but I'm so glad it was your Grandma.
Now the deal with the chair? Been there kiddo. And it always spooks you when something like that happens. But knowing it isn't malevolent is what changed things for me. Once that sinks in, and you realize it's not there to harm or frighten anyone, makes it so much easier to live with.
Where in Nevada are you from? I used to live in the Reno/Sparks area. We still go up to visit the in laws there too. Man! That whole place has exploded in population!

Jav ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: