You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Shadowy Black Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Shadowy Black Dog

 

I happened to speak to a friend today and for some reason we came to the topic of spooky stories from our life. It happened quite a long time ago and I haven't remembered it for a while, not that I had completely forgotten, it's just one of these experiences that get locked up in the depths of your mind.

There are actually 3 distinctive accounts when I saw a ghostly dog.

The first one was in primary school in the hotel of a school trip. It was in the afternoon (2-3pm) and we were just returning from a walk in the city. We took the elevator so on walking towards our rooms we passed by the stairs (pretty sure they were on our right.) When I looked in their direction I saw the shape of a huge black dog going up, disappearing just around the corner. I thought it was a guest's dog and since it seemed pretty odd, we were in a hotel after all, I told my friend and both of us dashed upstairs to see whether there really was a dog.

I don't know whether she saw it or not, but we went 3 floors up and reached the top and still we saw nothing. (The top was like a ceiling, dark and had no hotel rooms or guest.) The next day, at noon again I went back there, this time alone and I swear I saw the shape of the dog running down the hall. I got pretty scared and ran downstairs. I went to my teacher and told her about it but of course she didn't believe me. I told a few classmates later on and we went looking for it again saw nothing but still ran down the stairs screaming because somebody decided it would be fun to yell out and run away (kids' stuff). Of course because of that little story I was forced to write a 100 times "I will not scare my classmates" and "I will not talk about imaginary things" or something like that. I was pretty sure I really saw something though, still later on dismissed it as a play of light and shadows.

However, a few years later I had an even more realistic experience. Until today I'm not really certain whether I really saw something or I was in a weird state of falling asleep. Even though sleeping seems unlikely to me since I was watching TV, and I have never in my life, fallen asleep in front of the TV.

It was the afternoon around 4 or 5 pm and it had already begun to get dark since it was the late autumn. I was lying on my dad's bed watching a program I used to watch every afternoon (it was around 30 minutes long.) The intro had just ended when I heard something like a growl coming from the direction towards which my head was pointing. The door of the room was there. Naturally I thought it was the fridge since it was just a few steps down the hall and used to let out a loud growling sound when kicking on. Still it sounded somehow different so I slightly looked up catching the shadow of a big dog just in front of the fridge. Instantly my eyes darted forward and remained locked on the ceiling (I was laying on my back.) The sounds of the TV remained in the background almost unnoticeable and all my senses fixed on the growl. I heard it once more and then everything went grave silent apart from the vague sound of light steps. I had frozen in my spot, unable to move and even my heart had slowed its beating. I thought I could almost hear the breath of what looked like a huge black dog made of barely transparent shadows. (It was still pretty bright so it couldn't have been a trick of darkness and the window was pointing eastwards so it wasn't a trick of light either.)

It seemed like time had slowed or even stopped together with my thought. I kept watching it from the corner of my eye as it slowly moved and stopped for a moment looking towards that window towards which my feet were pointing. Next thing I know it twisted it neck, and looking at me, jumped onto the bed. I could barely feel any weight when its paws stopped at my chest but I could feel a heavy presence. I stared in its eyes which I can't really tell the colour. They weren't red or orange as it is said in most legends, maybe a pale yellow or just gray I don't remember. The whole thing was a blob of dark matter and not at all that transparent as in the previous account I mentioned. It seemed almost flesh and blood, but it tended to shimmer and become slightly transparent from time to time.

It growled quietly once more and twisting its neck turned and leaped, disappearing through the window. (The window was closed at the time too.) I remained frozen for a while and I don't really know how much time had passed in total but by the time I became aware of the TV again, the show I was watching had long finished some other thing was running.

Like I said I don't really know whether it was some sort of sleep state or reality or imagination or whatever but one thing I know for sure, despite me being foolishly fearless about pretty much everything (I mean I laugh in face of danger and tell scary stories as a pass time since I remember myself.) just remembering this story makes me freeze in my spot and fear my own shadow. I swear I can even hear the growl behind me again if I keep thinking about it (I know that is a trick of my freaked out mind but it's still quite spooky). Even the chime bell I have on my balcony is freaking me out, that's how scared this makes me.

That was not the last account I saw it though. A few years later, the late afternoon of the spring or late winter, I was walking down the stairs of my building and in the very bottom saw the very vague, very transparent shape of a dog, I think it seemed kind of different but I can't really say since it was too vague. I stared at it for a second and I think it twisted its head to stare back at me but right away I ran up the stairs. I kept seeing a shadow of a dog or hearing barking and growling despite none of the neighbours having a dog, but I think that was more due to my new fear.

I don't remember when I stopped seeing or hearing it, I think it was after I subconsciously blocked it since I got scared out of my mind every time I had to go home when it was getting dark. And ever since we moved from that place I think I haven't seen or heard anything of the sort.

Also when I was little I used to see quite a lot ghostly things, but I think it was due to my overactive imagination. Still the dog thing was way too real and I didn't see it just once. So yeah I don't really know what to make of my "visions" whether to count them as having a grain of truth or simply imagination. I'm not superstitious at all just to say, but I do believe there is something supernatural around in some places.

And I was just curious to know if someone knew more on the topic or had similar experiences (Or knew more on the symbolism of a black dog, other than "the devil" or "death" I mean. I'm pretty alive still and thank God I don't have any tragic deaths around me.) I also considered it being my granpa's old dog which was killed when I was 7, but it was not that huge and was white with light brown spots and long fur. The one I saw looked more like a huge Doberman with a wolf head and short fur.

I don't really know why I am so scared remembering either, I have no logical reason; it's just something I can't control. God it sounds like a really stupid story now that I read it. I apologise for my messy writing too, it's kind of hard to order my thoughts, I haven't really shared it with anybody either after the teacher scolded me and my friend mocked me. Anyways, thank you for reading, I really appreciate it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Therissa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vinportobg (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
The dog is a menevolent spirit I've seen it and yes it happens around 4-5 in the afternoon. The sense that everything goes quiet around you is not sleep its an altered state of mind that you are forced into to. Usually its so purpose is to scare but if the person gets used to it and in time everyone does, it steps up the terror! Devils and demons can't harrass more then its humanly possible to withstand, a Divine law of God it said to be. People are hunted not places so even if you leave it will fallow get a priest. The black dog demon's favorite sin which draws it back is masterbation! That's what I read don't ask why 😆
Therissa (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
I guess it might have been something like that. It wasn't exactly dark when I saw it though; it was just the time before the sun set.

However, back then, I did have to walk down a pretty unlit path almost every evening when going home. I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary on the way though, and I took that path for almost 5 years.
suneyedgirl (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
I agree with Tygerwolfe. The second I read the title, I thought of Black Shuck. Typically, Black Shuck is seen at night and follows women to safely deliver them to their destination, but is also frequently seen as a guardian. Maybe he was unsure of you and scared?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Therissa - I'm going to go off on a different line of thought here and I could be completely wrong, so I'll apologize ahead of time if I am, okay? I've "seen" a wolf several times and each time he was growling. I believe he is one of my spirit guides.

Maybe this dog of yours is a protector or spirit guide. I realize it seems scary each time you saw him and believe me, when the wolf growled, it kind of freaked me out too LOL.

Have you talked to a medium? If not, that's what I'd suggest. Find one who is reputable. Word of mouth is a good source.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
There is a spooky legend in Connecticut that no one lives to prove if the legend is true or not. The legend goes something like this. "If a man shall meet the Black Dog once, it shall be for joy; and if twice, it shall be for sorrow; and the third time, he shall die." As you can tell, it would be hard for anyone to prove this legend as the person in question would no longer be alive to tell the story.

Http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/myths36.html
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Therissa,
I have spent the last couple of hours surfing the net and what I can tell you is the Black Shuck is mainly focused in the British Isles. Mostly known as legend and folklore and has either red glowing eyes or one red eye. They have also been reported to have green eyes. They are a portent of doom in those parts.
The most information I found about black dogs is quite sad, I'm sorry to say. There's even a thing called 'Black Dog Syndrome'. This all has to do with the fact that black dogs are the last to be adopted and the first to be euthanized at animal shelters. This includes black cats. It has been a source of frustration for shelter workers for years.
I'm sorry I couldn't bring you any positive news as it pertains to your experiences. The only other option I would even consider is that perhaps he is your spirit guide.

Jav
Therissa (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
It happened in Kazanlak (hi) and I'm still not fully sure I didn't just imagine/dream it. I mean I'm not sensitive or anything, not at all actually.
Dakka (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
Really interesting story. I just wanted to know where (in which town) did this happen? I'm asking out of pure curiosity, since I'm also from Bulgaria. ^^ Privet ot Stz. ^^
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
This sounds like it could be a Black Shuck - just an otherworldly dog that patrols areas where bad things have happened or are about to happen. As for why it would approach you like that, I'm not sure. Perhaps you're sensitive and it noticed that you could see it when you shouldn't have been able to, and when it got up there with you, it was just checking you out.
zapamay (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-27)
That's really weird and creepy, maybe the dog wanted something from you? Or maybe he just didn't want you in his house? But in the hotel I presume maybe there were rooms up there and he got killed or died up there or near the building. I've never had an experience like this, I have seen a cat, and that was creepy. Excellent post! 😊 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: