You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Clean Clothes Dumped On The Floor

Real Ghost Stories

Clean Clothes Dumped On The Floor

 

I am 28 years old and have been interested in the paranormal since an early age. I have always had vivid dreams and many time experienced dejavu from experiences I know I have dreamt of in the past.

This particular story has happened to me over the past seven or eight months. My boyfriend lives in a brownstone duplex in northeast NJ. The Brownstone is at least 80 years old but likely older. It is in a historic neighborhood called Paulus Hook, which is known for one of many battles that George Washington led.

So a few months back, he would leave me in bed while he left early in the morning, around 3:30/4 am to catch a flight for work. There have been two occasions where he left and I would fall back asleep and half an hour or so later be woken up to noises that sounded like foot steps up the stairs and the door opening. I would wake up and call out if he had forgotten something. Both times of course no one was there. One of those times I was actually woken up to what felt like a weight shift in the bed like someone sat down on the opposite side of it.

This all leads to what happened last week and over the weekend. I never really mentioned to my boyfriend about the strange occurrences I had since they could have been dreams / nightmares. Last week we went to bed as usual, and at the same time. The next morning I had gotten up to use the restroom and noticed that the clean clothes that were folded by the corner a day earlier, stacked on a chair and placed in a laundry basket on a chair were dumped on the floor. It was odd because the basket holding folded socks was not turned over nor was the chair disturbed in any way.

An hour later when my boyfriend woke up I asked if he had gotten out of bed looking for something the night before. He said no. I sat up in bed and said well how did the clothes get on the floor. I asked about sleep walking etc trying to exhaust any possibility of human action. My boyfriend is a joker so I grilled him if he was playing a joke. There was no reason for him to play this type of joke and he wouldn't throw his own clean clothes on the floor. If he had he probably would have toppled over the chair for effect.

So that was last week Wednesday / Thursday. This Sunday I was at his place alone watching TV. His living hasloghts on a dimmer and I know for a fact I had them completely shut off. I had woken from a nap around 4:30pm and was awake watching TV for a good 15-20 minutes all of a sudden the lights went from off to the lowest setting on. Its on a dimmer switch that has that "hump" effect when you shut it off so you know its off. I had actually watched the lights go on.

Clean Clothes Dumped On The Floor 1
Clean Clothes Dumped On The Floor 2
Clean Clothes Dumped On The Floor 3
 

This is my first time posting on a web site with my story. Please let me know if you think it may be paranormal or something explainable from logical reasoning. I have photos of the clothes on the floor that were taken as found in the morning. Many thanks in advance.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sanjdee3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
have to agree with the other comments it looks like a spirit that is looking for some attention.
Yes it has dumped the clothes on the floor but looking at the pictures 2 things stand out~
1 neatly dumped not just thrown
2 almost as if it has been sorted into piles tops next to chair, pants,trousers, bottoms (whatever you call them lol) by the fire place and socks in a pile by the table.
Yes it must have been annoying but it seams like it did not want to annoy you too much.
Try talking to it you might get some interesting results but make some rules too don't want it getting out of hand.
I hope you keep this up to date if any thing else happens
Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Sanjdee3, I agree with stephyw2001. Her experiment is something that someone had suggested to me at one time. I was having a lot of activity in my old apartment and was told to leave something out for the spirit. The spirit was thought to be a young girl, so I used to leave a couple of stuffed animals out for her in the room where most of the activity occurred. It did end up working for me, so maybe you could give it a try. Thanks, and keep us posted. 😊
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
[at] Javelina: The dimmer switches in my house are just a single piece that you slide up and down to determine the level of light, and, when you turn it completely off, it runs over a "hump" and makes a click. I'm thinking that, from the author's description, they have the same type of dimmer as me instead of what you suggested... I can't imagine a dog turning a knob... But if all the dog had to do was hop up and bump the switch upwards a bit with his nose, it would be quite possible.

[at] Sanjdee3: Had you not said that you watched the light turn on, I would have suggested that the slight increase in light you noticed was just the illusion caused by your eyes adjusting to the darkness. The antics with the laundry is also mysterious, albeit annoying. You really do have some interesting activity going on at your home, and if you learn more about the entity you share your house with, I hope you post it.

--Mountaineer
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Would you be willing to do an experiment? Some asian countries have the belief that you should leave an offering of food or clothes for passed on people to appease them. Maybe, there is a ghost indeed who wants some kind of clothes? Perhaps leave out an outfit addressed to "the spirit in my house" and see what happens? I'm not sure what I expect to happen by doing this, but it would be interesting to try! 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
sanjdee3,
I'm guessing a trickster type spirit also. Those clothes weren't just tossed, they were messed up too.
I would actually even think it was a dog spirit were it not for the light turning on also. Unless, of course, the dog knew how to turn on the dimmer switch. Now, considering a dimmer only needs to be pressed on to turn it on, how high on the wall does the control knob for the light sit?

Jav
Indigo (263 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Looking at the photos, I'm getting the impression of a medium to large sized dog! A large, hairy, lighter colored dog! I'm curious that if you put a pillow on the floor by the fireplace or just under the window, if your laundry troubles would disappear? Might be worth a try?
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Sanjdee3 ~ I agree with Aprilsnanny35 the clothes don't look just toppled as such (and by the way how much laundry do you do in a week jeez! 😆) But this does sound like a case of a playful/friendly spirit wanting some acknowledgement, the video and evp idea sounds excellent to me, and maybe try saying hello every now and then when you feel/sense or hear something next time?
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Sanjdee3: It doesn't look as though those clothes have just toppled off the chair and with the footsteps and lights dimming you may well have some activity going on there. May I suggest setting up a video camera or an evp session to find out what you are dealing with? It doesn't sound like a nasty spirit so try to stay calm. Let us know how you go!
Wishing you well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: