You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Poltergeist? I'm Not Sure

Real Ghost Stories

Poltergeist? I'm Not Sure

 

The first things started when my boyfriend and I went on holiday to Turkey a few months ago (my boyfriend's dad owns the apartment, we had the only key and there are no cleaners). To stop the mosquitoes from getting in the rooms, we were closing the doors behind us every time and we were also turning all the lights off to save electricity. Anyway, we came home one night to find the door to the single bedroom and the adjoining en-suite wide open, with all the lights on. This we could not understand, but we didn't give it too much thought and went to sleep in the master bedroom.

Another night we went to put the air con on (which had worked on previous occasions) to find that it would not work. My boyfriend went to check the batteries and found the batteries had gone! We bought new batteries but still the thing wouldn't work.

Also another night I was showering and my boyfriend used the shower straight after me however the shower gel (which I had used minutes earlier) had vanished! We looked all around the apartment thinking something is definately playing tricks on us, to finally find it shoved down the back of the shower between the wall and the glass.

We are now back home (South Yorkshire, UK), but weird stuff is still happening. The other day I'd just got to my boyfriend's house and noticed that I had lost a bracelet (I always wear this bracelet). Anyway I was upset that I'd lost it and went upstairs to put my bags in my boyfriend's room to find my bracelet at the top of the stairs! This is impossible as I hadn't even been up there yet.

Another time I went to turn the light to the third floor landing on and it came on by itself. Another time I was in the house by myself and kept hearing the doors slamming. (They are really heavy fire doors so wouldn't open by a draft etc.) I went to have a look but everything was silent.

Things have happened to other people as well. One of our friends was sat on the sofa and the TV came on by itself and wouldn't turn off.

There is definatley a weird feeling of being watched. Like the other day I was washing up and kept looking behind me because it felt like someone was watching me. It is scary and I would appreciate some feedback.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VictoriaEmily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Naru_117 (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
Ok. Normally I wouldn't say anything but poltergiests and trickster spirits are not the same... And wikipedia is not a reliable source as anyone can change things on the pages or even make up pages with what they think should be correct even if its not. 😐
Roberta (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-27)
poltregeist's are created by whom ever is expirencing these things 😐 😐
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Hi again Darkness/Dan and thank you for your thoughts 😉 Was not meaning to be Miss Mary Contrary but I had to throw that out there because I knew you would turn it over in your head. I like the idea that parapsychologists offer about the poltergeist phenomena being "humans haunting ourselves". It really makes you wonder about the possibility of all spirits... Maybe these "trickster" spirits and poltergeists are the same things: entities that survive off of the energy that humans accumulate throughout their residency someplace? I cannot say whether or not poltergeists are intelligent but they usually seem to be, because they typically respond to knocking, tapping and commands to turn lights on and off. So I would assume so. If that is true, then perhaps we are quite literally creating our own hauntings with our excess energy? I can imagine that these tricksters might be comprised of a bit more positive, playful energy, and they annoy us a little but for the most part do not do much harm.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Hey Devious, yep I can see where you are coming from its definitely something to consider, both of them being the same. Poltergeists normally only hang around the subject for a specific amount of time normally 3 to 6 months but in some cases up to a year. I wonder if a trickster would be the same?

Although there is a theory believed that a Poltergeist is not a spirit at all just the condensed, repressed energy coming out in the form of psycokinesis from the person. IE: they are the main cause of the things happening within the home, you would usually find that once the person is removed from the environment the activities cease to continue. Good thoughts Devious, cheers! 😁

Dan
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
It is very possible that you have a poltergeist. However you shouldn't worry to much as usually they tend to disappear after a period of time. Remain on your guard though, if things get worse you should do a cleansing on the house.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
have to agree with darkness on this one.
Does not sound like a poltergeist at all but something looking for attention.
Imagin a young child that decides its funny to run off with something of yours so you will chase them around the house, that's what it sounds like to me. A spirit that is playing with you and your boyfriend for your attention. (im not saying it is a child spirit though)

Talking to it should help, let it know you feel it watching you, or when it moves some thing laugh and ask it to put it back, it should work.
I have know this to work anyway.
All the best
Carl
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Darkness,

I believe they are one and the same entity. Poltergeists are usually responsible for turning lights on and off, giving people feelings of discomfort and moving objects. Tricksters are responsible for thievery and well...tricks, and though they can be annoying, they usually return the items that they take. I think they are they same thing.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poltergeist
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
I'm jumping on the DARKNESS bandwagon here, I'd say it's not a poltergeist as such and more like a playful spirit as hasbeen suggested in previous posts here, I hope to hear more about this if it is possible?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Sorry but I disagree this does not sound like a poltergeist to me. I think your dealing with more of a trickster typre spirit or something that is hiding and moving things to get you to notice it.

A poltergeist means a noisy ghost, and the things experienced with poltergeists are quite differant as to what you are experiencing. They tend to be quite abrupt with there actions the moving of things in plain sight objects thrown and rappings etc, a theory also mentions that this activity is brought on by teenagers mainly females but also males who are going through puberty and are experiencing high emotions and hormone levels. This can cause a lot ef excess energy and it comes out in a form known as psycokinesis. Can I ask how old you are? The age on your story mentions teenager if this is the case I can almost guarantee that the experiences will stop within a year!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Yeah, it could be a poltergeist. That's what the symptoms sound like. They also sound like a small case of absent-mindedness. But I'll take your word for it that you have odd feelings and some things aren't where they should have been.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
This is truly bizarre, but a poltergeist doesn't sound so far fetched. I agree with the other posters that you might have 'picked up' a spirit in Turkey. However, it doesn't seem to be malevolent or have you had anything harmful happen to you? The situations here seem to be more on the playful side and mischievous. But do take care if things start to get out of hand. I'm not an expert, so if things start to happen and you're in need of getting rid of the entity, don't hesitate to ask for help!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
A poltergeist sounds logical as they like to move things around to cause havoc and disruption of routine. Have other members of your family or your boy friends family been experincing any strange occurances?

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
I think you nailed it. It sounds like a poltergeist to me. Whereas I would suggest that most of these events are explainable, all of them happening around the same time is just too much of a coincidence. You can try having the place cleansed, just ask it to stop/go away, or take the advice of other posters here who can tell you how to cleanse your home.
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Hi there.
I think you may have "picked" up a ghost on your way down to turkey.
You had no other experiense befor that trip right?.

I am a firm beliver that ghosts are all around us and some of them feed on emotions or "vibes". Whatever the name for it is they like it.
I would try to go find a medium to teach you how to "shut" down so that they no longer gain acces to your "vibes".
I hope it will help.
God bless You
Herohead
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
VictoriaEmily,

Thanks for sharing your story. There certainly are spirits that like to make material items disappear/reappear. What you have gone through certainly sounds scary, and I'm sorry for that. One theory about this kind of experience is that someone going through post-traumatic-stress-disorder or that has a lot of pent-up emotions is able to unknowingly, unintentionally move stuff with their mind. I don't think this is the case in your experience, it's just a theory.

Warmest Wishes,
PiP
InnerMomentas (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Hey Emily! You had mentioned that your boyfriend's dad owned the apartment. Maybe your boyfriend's dad is telling you that you have the only set of keys so that you are more careful not to lose them.

Have you misplaced things in the past? Locked yourself out of the house before? I know I have before. Heck I'm always afraid I'll lose the comapany keys to a facility that I've been assigned too work at. At one facility, I was told that I had the only set of keys to certain departments, but I was told by fellow another officer that there was a spare set.

It's possible that corrossion may have ruined the contacts or possibly something else on the Air con unit. I'm not really sure how a battery powered air con unit works. Most use the outside power source.

Someone might be playing tricks on ya. This might be an ongoing joke. I wouldn't role it out. Is there more than one light switch to the third floor landing. I know in my house there is more than one switch to turn off a light.

How much time elapsed between these events? If I experienced all that I would be looking around abit too for a hidden pair of eyes. Keep investigating and thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your post. 😊
JayAreGee (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
We've also experienced the feeling of someone watching us in our home. My wife is a constant victim to things vanishing and then reappearing again in the strangest places. Tell me, are you guys having any nightmares? Or are you all suffering from any strange migraines or headaches?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: