You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: A Dead Man Or The Old Hag

Real Ghost Stories

A Dead Man Or The Old Hag

 

After living with family for years, I finaly had a place of my own. I thought about researching the history of my new apartment before moving in but I was too excited and thought "If you don't belive, it can't happen".

Since I moved in I could hear noises coming from the apartment below, knowing that apartment has been empty for more than the two months (I have been there), I always gave myself a reason for the strange noises.

Sunday 7/21/11 I was lying in the couch with my legs on my brothers lap (who was visiting) I fell asleep watching a movie. I knew I was just resting because I could hear my little sister playing in the room with my son, and the noise from the Tv kept me only half asleep. I then felt the hands of a man on my face, one on each cheek. Then the figure of the man leaned down to my face to give me a kiss on the lips. No Dream could ever feel so real! I Yelled to my son and siblings, "WHO KISSED ME?!" The words came out but I could not open my eyes. I could hear my brother saying, "NO ONE!" but I drifted back to sleep. I felt as if something or someone was holding me down. I couldn't open my eyes I couldn't move. Something was wrong. I could hear my brother asking me, "Are you ok? Are you ok?", but I couldn't talk. I couldn't breath or move.

My brother then told me he was worried because while I was sleeping he could see my face red as fire, he told me I was making squikie noises but thought I might just be having a bad dream.

What could this have been?

I talked to a spiritual woman in my local radio who told me it was a dark entity, or that my apartment could be located on top of a cementery. Whatever this was "The Old Hag" or an entity, how could I know for sure? I have never experienced something of this kind.

How do I prevent it from happening to me again?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pickle-D, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
I would rule out old hag syndrome, I don't think one of those things would give you a kiss... It is possible that from this transitional state of mind you were in during semi consciousness, a ghost took an opurtunity to steal a kiss... And I do suspect based on your own intuition and sub conscious perception of what was going on around you at the time it soon developed into a state of sleep paralysis, which for about 99 percent of the time is caused from sub conscious fears and anxiety's I think it would be best to put it down to your imagination the mind is a very powerful devise for experiences like your one.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
The feeling of being watched could be high EMF caused by bad wiring. You could either have an electrician come out and check your wiring or buy an EMF meter or both. If the electrician eliminates bad wiring and you still detect high EMF in certain areas, there could be a spirit in your home.

That said, I do agree with some of the others with regard to sleep paralysis as far as what happened in your story.
Pickle-D (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Correction**** Sunday August 21! Big keybord Ooops!
I have been trying to tell myself that this was all just a huge nightmare, eventough I sleep with my table lamp on since then! Now so far I hav not seen anything out of the ordinary but my apt sometimes smells like cigar... My windows and vents all closed ofcourse. I tell myself its coming from the opening in my airconditioner, but there's no one outside smoking. I say it might be the nighbors but I don't have any, I'm alone in the second floor of the building. I don't take any medications so I know I'm not hallucinating. But you know that feeling where you feel like someone is watching you? I feel it at all times of the day while I'm alone. Its crazy to say I was in love with acarry movies, Now I can't even watch the prevews, I think I might be over reacting! I try to find an answer for everything! But the FEELING IS THERE!
ghostboi (22 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
carry around a holy cross that keeps evil spirits at bay 😁 it will I guarantee it
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
The 7 and the 8 are right next to each other on the keyboard. It could have been a simple typo. I agree that this might have been a realistic dream. Things can feel very real sometimes and not be actually happening. I have had a lot of experience with bad dreams and hypnogogic hallucinations.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
miracles has a point.
Sunday the 21st would have been August. Considering the date at the top of the page was Aug 23rd, I also find it a bit odd... Only because when something extraordinary occurs in ones life... One never forgets the date. Not saying I believe this to be a made up story, just that it was some type of sleep paralysis... Or other common sleep phenomena.
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
I've heard that biting your tongue will help wake you from your sleep paralysis. I personally haven't dealt with sleep paralysis before, but thought this was a great advice and wanted to share. Hope this helps!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Moongrim: what about warts, hives, and annoying relatives? Does it work for colds, coughs, the flu, and the in-laws, too? 😉
jin000 (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
😐I wonder if ghost like this I am better of with you guys, typing all day long telling our experiences
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
If such keeps happening, then it may not be a dream. Never underestimate the power of cold iron.
In modern usage the term has been most associated with folkloric beliefs that iron could ward off ghosts, fairies, witches, and/or other malevolent supernatural creatures.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
I agree that it could be just sleep paralysis. But making out with a ghost? Rowr! Everyone else has really good points. I just had to add something about locking lips with a spirit. Though that probably didn't really happen.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Pickle-D - I didn't bother reading the rest of your story after the date Sunday 7/21/11 because that's not correct. You see, that's my birthday. And my birthday wasn't on a Sunday this year. And yeah, I'm nitpicking because that's one big "oops."
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
This incident sounds exactly like sleep paralysis. The feeling you experienced of being kissed sounds a lot like the sensation you would get when your skin flushes. Which would also explain why you were so red. The blood rushed to your face and made it feel like someone was going to kiss you, and that startled you awake, which caused an episode of sleep paralysis. It may sound like a stretch, but not as much as you would think... And I hope you will answer the question about whether or not you were taking any medications, because that can also cause the symptoms you experienced.
Indigo (263 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
So far, I'm in agreement with the sleep paralysis theory, but I'd also ask if you've been on any medications recently? Chantix, for one is extremely well known for causing these episodes, especially with the kiss and terror (it's happened to several people I know) that is incredibly overwhelming.
The sounds could be emanating from anywhere. Sound travels through ductwork, etc, making it seem to be coming from places that it isn't.
The radio spiritual personality...sweetie, these people get PAID to find Demond and dark entities. Face it, the more they come up with and "cure", the more their popularity grows, the more money they make. Please don't take stock in someone like that.

Instead, do a little research on OBE's and lucid dreams. I'm guessing with the paralysis it was an unnerving lucid dream, as in an obe, most people don't seem to have the paralysis. Research for a day or so then will you post an update?
JarMan (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Don't buy into the hype of local radio spiritualist. Over half of the time, these people can't be trusted further then they can spit.

There's plenty of things that could have been happening in your apartment complex. Just because the apartment is vacant doesn't mean there weren't PEOPLE in the apartment.

Your landlord could have been showing the apartment to possible tenants, they could have been cleaning or renovating the apartment downstairs, the list goes on and on.

Not being able to move is a clear case of sleep paralysis, more importantly it actually goes by other names such as "old hag syndrome". Look it up.

I chalk the entire experience of being kissed and everything to nothing more then a bad dream, night terror, sleep paralysis, whatever.

Good luck and stop putting faith into people you can't really trust, like radio jockies.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
The thing about the paranormal is that there is a lot out there and we are always learning. It really could have been anything. I have had something kind of like that happen to me before, and I know for a fact it wasn't a dream. I believe you.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
Kind of scary! However, I have had many dreams such as this... Where people are touching me, poking me in the back, tickling me, holding me down, etc. It is all part of sleep paralysis or when our mind is asleep enough but we are somewhat conscience. I think if you researched this, it would ease your mind. My husband has heard me moaning and literally trying to scream to wake myself up. I am a bit curious as to why you wanted to research your apartment before you moved in and then stating..."If you don't believe, it can't happen". Have you had previous experiences that would lead you to believe this or think this way? Thanks.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-29)
I believe these events to be disturbingly realistic dreams. In my experience, there is something about being half awake but stuck in a REM cycle that makes dreams exceptionally vivid. And fighting the natural paralysis state is hard on our bodies. However, I certainly don't discount the other theories on the phenomena. I know of two theories. The first that it is an entity of some kind either causing it in purpose to try us - again there is more than one line of thinking on why they do it, either because they are evil or because they are simply trying to get our attention - or doing it not as an attack on us but because they need our energy to interact on this plane of existence. The other theory that I am familiar with is that it is an attack from a living person traveling on the "astral" or mental rather than physical plane. Again it might be done on purpose or accidentally by someone desperate for energy. From what I have heard & read the usual defense is building mental blocks through concentration / meditation. Whatever the cause I know it is frightening & I hope that it is something you find help with if it continues to happen.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: