You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirits Among Us

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits Among Us

 

The one room cabin was built in the mid-1960s on land located on an island in the Pacific Northwest that has been in the family since 1948. The building was intended to be the garage, however after the fireplace was installed, the owners decided to do some remodeling, build on an addition and park the vehicles under the trees.

It's not a large house, but cozy and comfortable it is. Plenty of room for the elderly married couple and the family pet named Katie.

In the early to mid 1990's, their daughter started noticing some odd things going on at the house when she would visit them on the weekends. Being the night owl that she was, she was always the last person to wake up the next morning. Her parents were kind and knew that she enjoyed her dream time, so they would go sit outside, weed in the garden or nap quietly in their recliners.

On more than one occasion, the daughter felt a presence... She couldn't see anything but it was like there was something following her around. And, it was usually after she woke up when she headed down the hallway to take a shower. She would turn around and nothing would be there but was aware of the hairs on the back of her neck standing straight up.

Being the intelligent soul she was, she immediately thought "We have ghosts." Of course, she didn't want to say anything for fear of sounding a bit loony and she figured no one would believe her, anyway.

Shortly thereafter, the Mom (out of the blue) said to her, "Your father thinks I'm nuts, but I swear we have ghosts."

The daughter replied, "Well, Mom... Now that you mention it, I've noticed a few things, too!"

The Dad, however just shook his head as he wasn't a believer.

Over the next few months, things started to disappear, including books and photos. Decorative plates would fall off the wall and break, strange noises were heard and the house always felt cold. Even a Corelle dinner plate that was on the kitchen counter ended up breaking into a million pieces when it fell on the floor. (By the way, no family member was in the kitchen at the time and the plate was not anywhere close to the edge of the counter.)

During the times that the spirits were present, Katie would crawl in a lap and snuggle, like she couldn't be close enough to her protector. This, by the way was very odd behavior for her as she preferred to chase after a tennis ball during all her waking hours.

All the while, the Dad didn't notice anything. When the Mom and daughter tried to bring his attention to what was going on, he just shook his head.

That all changed one afternoon. He was having his daily nap in his favorite recliner and he woke up and said to his wife, "There is something sitting in my lap. I feel something sitting in my lap."

Of course, his wife couldn't see anything, all the while looking at him with an "I told you so, grin."

On one occasion, the parents had business to tend to in Olympia early one Friday morning so changed places with their daughter. They came to Seattle on a Thursday evening and the daughter went to stay at their house with Katie. They timed it perfectly so the daughter caught the same ferry that her parents came across on.

The daughter and Katie had an interesting night. Before going to bed, Katie decided to have a snack and she took a bite of food and went into the living room to eat it. She dropped the mouthful of crunchies and before she could eat them, she growled and snapped at whatever was there that was trying to take her food. The daughter couldn't see anything but figured something was amiss since Katie had never exhibited this behavior before and the daughter had felt something tap her on the head earlier that night.

The daughter and Katie then went to bed - the daughter sleeping on the hide-a-bed in the living room. The daughter read for awhile before turning out the light and as she was reading, she heard a faint snoring sound. Usually, Katie would sleep with her but Katie was not next to her in the bed. She called out Katie's name and Katie wasn't there. The daughter then wondered if she herself was making the snoring sound so she held her breath. The snoring sound continued.

Needing to investigate further, she went looking for Katie. Katie was sound asleep at the other end of the house and wasn't making a sound.

The daughter went back to bed, said goodnight to the 'snorer' and went to sleep. By the way, the snoring sound was coming from the same place where Katie had snapped and growled earlier.

On occasion, the son would spend the night with his parents. He would sleep in the 2nd hide-a-bed in the living room. On several nights, he was awakened to music playing. The spirits would have either turned on the radio or wound up the bird music box that sat high on the shelf. He was not amused.

The most memorable weekend was Thanksgiving of 1998. The daughter arrived early Thanksgiving morning and it was just her Dad and Katie there as the Mom was in a nursing home. The Dad had gotten the turkey in the oven, however needed help replacing the overhead light in the kitchen. As he wasn't as tall as he used to be, he figured his very tall daughter could help when she arrived. It was basically a 2 person job, anyway as the lights were the long florescent kind with the wobbly oversized cover that had to fit in just so.

The light got changed, the cover was replaced and Thanksgiving went off without a hitch.

That following Saturday night, the Dad went to bed early as he wanted to get up and go to church the next morning. The daughter stayed up late and watched TV in the living room with Katie. Although the Dad was rather hard of hearing, she kept the TV on low volume so as to not disturb him.

It became more and more difficult to hear the TV as there was a lot of unearthly noise coming from the kitchen.

Finally, the daughter went to bed. She was no longer sleeping on the hide-a-bed in the living room as she found a more peaceful and soothing room to sleep in... The laundry room!

Sometime during night, Katie joined her, which was out of the norm as Katie didn't like sleeping on the aero bed. But, for some reason, she joined her that night.

The next day, the dad went to church and the daughter slept in. When it was time for her to get up, she was awakened by a cold wet nose and some very slobbery kisses from Katie.

After letting Katie outside, the daughter noticed the cover from the kitchen light was lying on the counter. She immediately thought the light she and her Dad had replaced three days before was bad and he removed the cover before going to church.

When he arrived home, she asked him, "What's wrong with the light? I see the cover is on the counter."

He responded, "I thought you took it down."

She shook her head no and they both looked at each other and immediately knew what had happened during night. The spirits were back, they had probably witnessed the changing of the light bulb and thought it would be fun to take off the cover. (By the way, had the cover fallen off, it would have landed on the floor and broke. There was no way it could have ended up on the counter without help.)

The Dad and daughter probably guessed that Katie got tired of listening to the noise going on in the kitchen during night, thus her crawling into bed with the daughter.

The daughter left for home that night even though she insisted on helping with the dinner dishes before leaving. The Dad told her he would do them. After she had left, the Dad thought the daughter had left the sliding glass door open as it was so incredibly cold in the house. He went to go investigate and the door had been shut but the house was still so incredibly cold, even with a hot fire burning in the woodstove. He returned to the kitchen and the dish towels that were hanging on the oven door were moving, as if they were flapping in the wind. No windows were open.

The spirits aren't there all the time, but when they are, they make themselves known. They tend to be mischievous... The family just wishes they would return all the things they have taken over the years.

In case you're wondering, the house is located on Whidbey Island and the daughter referenced in the story is me.

Do you believe in ghosts? You now know that I do since I have witnessed them first hand.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WIslandGal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WIslandGal (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
Thanks, radish54. I don't really know how many spirits are there, but based on my experiences and that of my parents, I would guess at least two "people" in addition to an animal - possibly a dog.
My dad did witness a male figure in the hallway, which appeared for about five seconds and then disappeared. (This happened quite some time after he became a believer.) That was the only 'real' sighting. (To be honest, I'm glad he saw it and not me! As much as I find the whole thing interesting, it does give me the willies when I'm alone, especially at night!)
I did question my dad about the sighting as to what the male figure looked like, what it was wearing, etc., but my dad was too shocked to take notice.
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-10)
Loved your story, WIG. I have a question regarding the nature of the haunting. Did it seem to you to that there was more than one entity involved? It seems like at least one entity might have been an animal, perhaps a pet, whereas several episodes seemed likely to be the work of a former person.
Thank you for a well-told tale.
WIslandGal (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
I appreciate everyone's comments - thanks for reading my true story. Being a creative writer, I chose to write it in the third person.

As for some history about the property, it was purchased by my paternal grandfather in 1948. Before he passed away, he gifted it over to his three sons as he wanted it to stay in the family name. (He also had two daughters and they were given money in lieu of land at the time of his passing.)

The youngest of the three sons chose the part of the land that had the original buildings on it, which consisted of a 'cook shack' (where all the cooking was done on a wood stove,) a couple of bunk houses (where we all slept), a storage building, an outhouse and the well where we dropped the bucket to get water.

A few years before my grandpa passed away, he purchased a trailer and then came running water, indoor plumbing and electricity! (No more having to use the outhouse - yippee!) My grandpa was Finnish, so a sauna was built (Finns love to 'go sauna') and a cement block smokehouse was also built to smoke the fish that was caught in the local lake and sound.

After my grandpa passed away, the transformation of the property started... The three sons each 'claimed' their portion of the property and made it their own. Two cabins were built - one on each side of the original settlement. The brothers remained very close throughout their lives and helped each other in whatever projects that needed completing.

My Uncle (the youngest of the five children) is the last remaining brother... (My dad and other Uncle have passed away.) He is retired and lives full time in the original trailer that my grandpa purchased.

Several years before my parents health started to decline and in keeping with tradition, they gifted their land to me and my brother. My brother and mom have also passed on, so the land is now mine. I cherish the memories, the history and even the spirits that visit on occasion.

If you'd like to contact me directly, please feel free to do so at lakehill2202 [at] aol.com

Thank you.

😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Rook, I think he is saying the islands were creepy, and thus a good spot to start filming the movie... I did not read anything else into it personally, but I guess that is up to Moongrim to explain...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
DA,

I know...that's what bothers me... I can't think of another 'Ring' that has to do with this place... I asked for clarification cause I truly hope Moongrim was not making reference to the Movie.
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
It was written in third person, a bit annoying, yes, does it matter? No, it doesn't. So why is this the main focus of the story in these comments?
Anyways, how would feeling a chill on your neck immediatly make you think that you had spirits in your house? I don't understand how as it can be easily explainable. Everything else does point to possible activity though.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
I really do not mind the third person narrative, but I will admit that the author does sound a bit pompous, since she compliments herself.

"Being the intelligent soul she was..."

Not relevant to the story, IMO, just looked like a reason for her to boast about her intelligence. Other than that, sounds like some interesting spiritual stuff went on around there. It does not sound threatening or anything, just unusual. Thanks for sharing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
stephyw2001 - didn't think you were being stupid at all. The only stupid people, again in my opinion πŸ˜‰, are those people who think they know everything and don't give anyone else the chance to give their point of view or express their opinion. Those people, yeah. Stupid πŸ˜†

And I, too, have given ghosts a lot of thought. Too much sometimes LOL. Mind boggling, isn't it? Like right now, mine are quiet. Really quiet. Makes me wonder if they're on vacation πŸ˜†
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
ok I got a few feelings when reading this.
1st~ intrested, started well and got my attention from the start
2nd~ slight annoyance, why is the dog the only one named? Is it a fake story? Will the bs blanky need throwing?
3rd~ surprise, it was the daughter writing the story all along!
And going back, re~reading and loving it had to tell "the daughter" fantastic story and a great way of telling it too.
The 3rd party idea was great even though I was thinking it was a bs blanky speical (and was I ever wrong!) I still had to finish the post just to see how it ended.
Faved and enjoyed
Carl 😁
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Miracles51031,

Thanks for answering my question. The first half of my comment was sarcasm but the snoring part was an honest question. I like your opinion on the matter. Thanks again
😁
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
WIslandgal, I enjoyed your story very much, thank you for sharing it with us. I pretty much have the same thoughts as granny about your family's land and would love to know the history behind it. I also believe that the spirits are not there to cause harm. It seems that they just pop in every now and then for a visit and like to leave a calling card so you know it was them.
I couldn't help but think of the expression "You wouldn't know it if it fell right in your lap" When you told us how your Dad came to be a believer. Well I guess it did fall, or in his case sit right in his lap. LOL! πŸ˜†
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
whoooa, Miracles, that just made me think way deeper than I should. (Regarding a ghost taking a cat nap). What would a ghost dream about? Being alive again? Could they also astral travel to a different plane, then wake to find themselves still stuck on a lower plane, and be like "shucks!" That would be so confusing.

I guess I never really thought about ghosts sleeping ever, but you're right, I suppose they could take cat naps too. Why not? It must get boring being stuck wherever they are.

(By the way, as you mentioned it is hard to tell if people are serious online. I am not being sarcastic. Please forgive me if I sound stupid.) 😳
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
MissyM - I'm not sure if your question about snoring was serious or not because sometimes it's so hard to tell over the internet but I'm going to give my opinion as if you were serious.

In my opinion, and it's just that... My opinion, not based on fact or anything else, I don't believe ghosts have the need to sleep since they have no body that would make that a necessity. But I do think they still have the ability to imitate sounds such as laughter, coughing, sneezing, etc. So why not snoring?

I also don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility to consider a ghost taking a "cat nap" every now and then πŸ˜‰
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Oh man... Lol I hope Samara Morgan (little girl in the movie The Ring) isn't the ghost in your Dad's house. That would be really BAD... Lol πŸ˜†

Do ghosts sleep? I found it funny that the entity was snoring at night.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Rook,

The American rendition of Ringu, aka "The Ring" was partially filmed around that island because the creepy atmosphere fit with the story.

Http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/TheRing/
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
(I so shouldn't ask this of this individual because of the History between us, but I have to...)

Moongrim,

The Ring? Could you please add some details as to this reference? I'm curious as to which 'Ring' you are referring to that got it's start in those islands. Thanks in advance...

Respectfully,

Rook
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Mountaineer: The "hit and run" stories are really frustrating... But I think we should give this poster a little while... Maybe she hasn't checked her e-mail lately? πŸ˜†...Patience, Grasshopper... ❀ 😊
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
I certainly would like to hear some feedback from the author... Hopefully this isn't one of those "submit the story and run" scenarios.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
This story was a little confusing for me being written the way it was. I like to read true stories as they are retold in the first person as they are recollecting what happened. In this way, it makes it seem as if I am reading a fictional ghost story. Never-the-less, there is something going on here. The last sentence, "Do you believe in ghosts" was reminiscent of a ghost story being told out by a campfire or at a slumber party.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Whidbey Island? I'm not surprised. That island has always given me the heeby-jeebies. There is a good reason why The Ring, started in those islands.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
[at] zzsgranny: I read books all the time. Reading is one of my favorite things to do. I still think that this is a good story, and I am not saying I am condemning it as fiction. I was just making a valid point that writing the account in third person then at the end adding in a line that says "oh yeah and the main character was me" leaves a lot of room for the more skeptical members on this site to bash this. I agree that the creative twist was nice, though it did confuzzle me a little at the end.

[at] Nysa: go to your profile page, look at the top near your name where it says karma, and click on the word. It takes you to a page explaining what it is.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
The story was fine. I want to add my two cents in because, well, I'm nosy, I suppose. And I like reading words that I type, I guess. Anyway, I think the poster shouldn't be put down for showing a little creativity. It's better than reading the same thing everytime I click on a link to a story. "I lived here. I saw this. I was scared. What do I do?" Over and over again. Not that it was completely effective, I admit, I too was a bit confused. But dang! People putting forth an effort to change things up a bit, should at least receive a few kind words. It isn't arrogant. It's unique. It's only arrogant and pompous if you think you're royalty or something and you refer to yourself in the thrid person that way. Otherwise, it's a nice escape from the repetitive formula that we've all grown accustomed to. But don't get me wrong. I like most of the stories on here. They all don't have to be the same, however.
deejayy53 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
I like the way you wrote this story! It made it even more interesting then it origionally is! Its a good thing that they're not hurting you guy, they just seem to be just fooling around. Like I said I really like this story, you put it in an awsome way! 😁
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
I was a little thrown when a Katie showed up, thank goodness you said she chases tennis balls all day or I would have been the dunce asking why someone woke you by licking your face. I don't think that people thrown by the 3rd person narrative are unread, talking about yourself in the 3rd person sounds strange and even arrogant to most of us. It is used in books and movies to portray someone as pompous. Perhaps that is a little off topic, but per the submission guidelines it is a legitimate critique.

To go even further off topic, someone mentioned karma points, how does that work? I assume it is something to do with the little arrows? My apologies but if there is a page explaining that stuff I have not been able to find it yet.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
WIslandGal,
I also enjoyed your account of these experiences. It makes no difference that it was written in the third person, it was a good telling of what occurred, and that's what matters. I liked the snoring, that always gets me, because it's just not something you'd expect from the ghosties...naptime.

Jav 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
WIslandGal - I also enjoyed your story. I honestly don't care if you wrote in the first person or the 3rd, as long as it's believable. And I believed your story so much I added it to my favorites.

It's funny the way our ghosts sometimes do things to get our attention, isn't it? By the way, I love it that it took a ghost sitting in your dad's lap to make him a believer πŸ˜†

And yes, I believe in ghosts too πŸ˜‰
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
OK, I'm going to be a contrary voice here (to the majjority of the posters) but I really liked the 3rd person viewpoint. Granted, it's not the way one is "s'posed" to do it, but it provided a creative edge and a suprise at the end (I was figuring through the telling that the author knew the family.)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
WIslandGal: Thank you for submitting these experiences... Since the land has been in your family for such a long period, do you know any of the history?...I find it interesting that a home was built nearly 20 years after the land was aquired... Is there a reason no one else in the family chose to build there, or was it purchased as an investment?...There's quite a lot going on, and I have to think that the spirits were there well before your family πŸ˜†

I like the way you chose to present your experiences in the third person...Sometimes, people who are unaccustomed to reading real literature have a hard time understanding an author's writing style... Not saying that the previous posters are illiterate, but they should pick up a real book once in a while πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Ok herohead, I feel like a butthead for saying anything.: (

And I get what you said, and it was funny, trust me. Well you do just fine with your English. So don't worry.
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
you didnt, I'm just having a laugh πŸ˜† I'm not english and find it hard to write, so some of my comments doesn't tranlate as well I would like them to.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: