You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts On The Farm

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts On The Farm

 

I am fourteen and live on a large farm, about one thousand acres, in Tidewater Virginia. The main house on the property was built in the late 1700s and was added on to numerous times and is now 12, 000 square feet in size.  This house is now abandoned, and has been for the last decade, since my grandfather's death.  There are many other buildings on the property, including my house, which was once the chauffeur's residence, and two still visible foundations of small brick houses.  One of these is obviously much older than the main residence, the bricks being of irregular shape and made of local clay.  With the brief history of the property written, it is time to move on to the ghosts.

The Gray Man

The Gray Man is a passive spirit.  I first heard about him through my father, who encountered him one night while plowing a field.  While rounding a clump of trees curiously located in the middle of the field, which we call "The Slave's Graveyard," his headlights swept across the field and for a moment, the figure of a man wearing a waistcoat, wide brim hat, and trousers, all in gray, was briefly illuminated.  My father sacrificed his remaining work time trying to find an explanation for his sighting.  He backed up and looked, but the figure was gone.  He completely went backwards and rounded the graveyard in the same way again, but he didn't see the figure.  He has not seen The Gray Man since.

My mother also saw The Gray Man, this time in the daylight.  She saw him out of the corner of her eye, standing by the old barn near my house.  She looked back, but he was gone.

We like to think that The Gray Man is a former owner of the property who likes to check in on us to make sure we are treating his land well.  He has never attempted to contact anyone in the family, and has never been any trouble.  We respect his boundaries, and he respects ours.

My Friend

When I was little, ages 2-4, I had a friend that I would always play with.  This friend could only be seen by me, and only I could talk to him.  I was an only child at the time, so you may dismiss this as me having an imaginary friend.  However, my parents once asked me for more information on the boy.  I promptly told them his name (which they have forgotten), and that he had lived by water but was killed in a fire that destroyed his house.  My parents were stunned, as I was only two at the time and probably didn't even understand the very words I was saying.  I continued to interact with my friend until I turned four, at which point I apparently lost interest in him.

When I was eight, I woke up in the middle of the night, and, bemused, I looked around my room wondering what had woken me up.  When my eyes fell on my T-Rex toy, one of my favorites, its head turned to look back at me.  I didn't allow the thing back in my room for months, and when I finally brought it back in I stowed it safely in a drawer.  I now think that this was merely my old friend trying to get my attention.   I have not had any contact with him since.  

Both me and my parents view the little boy I made friends with as a nice little fellow who died a tragic death.  He was always friendly, sometimes mischievous, and I would like to have another interaction with him so I can learn more about his life.

Possibly Another Ghost

Recently I was out in the woods hunting for old bottles, which had become my favorite pastime, and stopped to examine a small item more closely.  While I was bent over, I thought I heard the laughter of a child.  I'm not sure of the gender but I think it was a girl.  I tried to speak to the ghost, but, after not getting any audible responses (I need to get an EVP recorder), I gave up and continued my hunt for bottles.  

In Conclusion

In conclusion, the ghosts we share this land with all seem to be gentle, friendly ones who have no interest in harming us.  They have become as much a normal part of life as the old pines and birches that frame our farm.

Other hauntings by Mountaineer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mountaineer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
I went back and read this to get background on your other Gray Man story. I like your style, Mountaineer. You don't exaggerate or dramatize. Nice. I get the feeling your parents are thoughtful people too. Thanks for sharing.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
[at] DARKNESS: when I get the time I'm going to look into the county records and see if I can find anything about a fire on the property. There is a small graveyard on the farm, but there are no young boys buried there, the only child is a two month old girl. He might be buried elsewhere though. Thanks for reading!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Mountaineer: Sorry am a bit late to the party regarding your experiences but I enjoyed reading about them. It is good to know that you get along with the spirits that also inhabit the land and area on which you live. Have you looked more into the details of your friend who passed away at all?

Thank you for sharing your story.

Dan
camswidow (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
i would so live there, it would be awesome, I know it has no relation to the story but still just saying.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
[at] TruthInDarkness: no offense to you of course but I just don't feel comfortable doing that... Trust me I am flattered that you liked my story and would like to learn more about my town, but my parents have raised me to be wary of the Internet. Thanks for reading!

--Mountaineer
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Mountaineer - This is a cool story. As you might have noticed, I also live in VA. I'm interested in learning more about the town in which you live. Please e-mail me. My contact info is in my profile.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
mountaineer interesting experiences and through the family too so no one can say that its not happening.

I wish you all the sucsess with your evp work and I hope you add it on here if you get anything, and good luck with the lottery tickets to 😆
Carl
Ambo (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I really enjoyed reading that! Thanks for sharing. And I like how I didn't end up reading a novel, you just got to the facts. Haha!
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
cosmogal926- Thank you so much, that is very kind of you to say. 😁 ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Mountaineer, I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. The house, and land sound really peaceful and beautiful. I am glad that you and your family are comfortable with the ghosts who share the land with you.

I agree with Pretty In Pain, this was a very well written account. Thanks for sharing it with us. 😊
metalmomma3 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I really loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing your experiences. What luck to have crossed paths with a number of spirits:-)
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I agree with Nysa! Oh well - if you venture in, I'd bet you could get some interesting photos of the spiderwebs that have to be there by now, the dust... That's got to be a gorgeous area. Thank you for sharing:)
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I really liked reading this! Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Thanks everyone for the comments, I love the place I live as well. I've lived here my whole life and there is still places I haven't been. We actually had a person come and tell us how much it would cost to repair the house... He came up with a little over a million bucks. Time to start buying lottery tickets!
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Great story! Your home and it's occupants, both living or otherwise seem to be very nice! I do hope you found some bottles!
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
P.S. Your description of your whereabouts makes me so jealous. I would kill to live somewhere like that with so much land. 😭
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Mountaineer,

I liked your story a lot. You are incredibly well-spoken for your age and also mature. It's nice to have someone like you on YGS. 😊

I am so glad that none of your or your parents' experiences have been negative. It's nice to read a positive experience. Thank you for sharing. 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Mountaineer,
Thank you for the breath of fresh air this set of experiences brought to the fore. I am sad about your childhood playmate though, and do hope you will be able to make that reconnection.
Here's hoping you have good luck with capturing some good EVPs. And if you do, remember to share them here, we live for that!

Jav 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Ahh I am cringing thinking of that 300 year old house being abandoned for a decade! That is a very interesting piece of land you've got yourself there. Nice to have all positive experiences.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Well this is refreshing- a set of stories that get to the point, without a whole passeload of unnecessary detail. You give us- Just the Facts.
Yours story/stories are a good set.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: