You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Things In My House

Real Ghost Stories

Things In My House

 

So where do I start? Well, I guess I can start with my age. I am an 18 year old girl from Ontario, I have been reading on here for a LONG time, but this is the first time I wrote anything. I am not the best writer, so I apologize if things get confusing.

I moved to Sudbury recently, we used to live on a farm about 40 minutes away, but that's not important. Where we live now is the problem. The house is about 100 years old, and I can feel something in it. Not bad, but not good. I guess I'm not really in tune with ghosts but I still get the vibes from it. I have tried searching the history of my house, but to no avail. We live near a funeral home, and think that some of the activity may be coming from there. (insight please?). Now, on to the events!

Before we moved, about a week or two before, I had a nightmare, that changed into reality. I don't know what I dreamt about, but when I awoke, I felt as if I was constricted by something, I knew it was not human, but as soon as I started muttering words from the bible, it left.

Since we first moved here in November 2010, a lot has taken place. A few weeks after we moved in, I was sleeping in bed with my boyfriend, and a glass fell from my night table. It didn't just fall though, the cup was smashed. It had also been there for a few days, so it couldn't have just, you know, fallen suddenly? No one moved it, and it frightened me very much. We both just awoke to the sound of smashing glass. Then I had a re-accruing event of before we moved, again not being able to move, and again, it stopped when the name of Jesus left my lips.

After that, things got worse. I had always dabbled into the world of Ouija, so we decided to use it one night (Me and my boyfriend, Matt) and we kept getting gibberish from one ghost, it couldn't spell, only say yes or no. Every time we would try the Ouija board, we got the same, confusing results. Until one time, we spoke to one who claimed to be a demon, that belonged to me? He said he wished to hurt me, but he could not, as I owned him. I thought it was cool and funny, but brushed it off.

I had a friend over, as my boyfriend was away and I have grown afraid of sleeping alone. My friend would no longer stay over, as he (Yes, HE) kept hearing breathing sounds in his ear and always felt threatened in my house. (Maybe jealous incubus? More insight please! Haha). Back to the events.

Not long afterwords, I was sitting in the living room with my mom and step dad. We saw a bright blue flash and a loud POP coming from the entrance way, everyone looked around, and my step dad checked all the electrical and came up empty. Again, everyone just brushed it off.

Everything after that was quiet... For a while. We had just came back from a former friends house, where we played the Ouija board. I woke up in the night just to see a short, stocky looking thing wearing a robe and holding, I think it was a scythe? I was so terrified I began to cry, and couldn't get back to sleep. The big events have calmed down a bit, but now everything is just constant.

I walk into the house, and hear someone doing dishes in the kitchen (i.e, plates hitting each other) and I found no one there. My boyfriend was sleeping after work one evening, and no one else was home. I was on the lower floor, and heard what sounded like someone coming out of my parents room, walking to the bathroom and going back. I went upstairs and asked Matt, whom had been sleeping the whole time, but also heard it. I was awake one night, also alone, and heard someone moving boxes around in the basement, I know I wasn't hearing things because my dogs and cat looked towards the basement door as well.

My step dad has claimed seeing a black man sitting in the living room, and my boyfriend has seen reflections of a girl that looks like me. The only one who isn't seeing all this is my mother and my brother. There was also one time I must mention, with my cat. I found this weird because well, he sat perfectly in the middle of the doorway from the living from to the hall, and he just... Stared, like he was looking at someone, I know animals are much more sensitive to spirits then people. I should also mention when my boyfriend leaves my room at night, my dog will jump on my bed and immediately start crying, and looking out to the hallway, and back at me and more crying.

Sorry it's so long. But every day now it's doors moving open and shut, footsteps, the usual creepy stuff. Is it a possible poltergeist? I have been going through depression. I read they like going after troubled teen girls. It doesn't get too bothersome, but it's bad when I'm home alone. Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance everyone!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FillyBaby, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Indigo,

I just wanted to say I LOVE YOU! In a non creepy sort of way, of course. I don't think I have ever disagreed with you in any of your posts. I find you to be helpful, knowledgeable and incredibly insightful. I look forward to reading more from you.

Also, on behalf of Nysa, I would like to apologize to you, as she doesn't appear to realize that she was being rude and attacking you.

Nysa, you are free to disagree with the opinions of others, but there is absolutely no reason to be nasty, and before you argue with me, yes, you were.

Now after all of that I can't remember what this story was about. How about that! 😠

Best,
Fanny ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
You make an excellent point about erring on the side of caution. If historical or anecdotal evidence suggests that saying a certain prayer, casting a protective circle, burning a certain herb, etc. Has worked for people, and you agree with the philosophy behind the action it would be foolish not to give yourself a layer of possible protection. I would still find telling others that they WILL be unsafe if they don't do it, especially without making it clear that it is just one of many theories, "iffy."

I did not mean to suggest that old methods are useless or outdated. I study history and mythology partly because I believe we have let too much ancient knowledge fall by the wayside. But I have come across many who insist on "protective" measures for many esoteric practices without knowing what the protections were designed to keep you safe from. In many cases the dangers are things the practitioners don't even believe in. Some have never even considered whether they believe there is anything they need protected from. Incidentally, I was talking about some of the practices of so called "new-agers" when I mentioned 18th century ceremonial magicians. I am curious about the more ancient practices you mention, but I completely understand if you don't share them with strangers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
Nysa: I have to respectfully disagree on the points that a lot of folks use modes of protection that are outdated...Many, I'd venture to say most, who are seasoned at using these tools never do so without some form of protection rite, or prayer... And yes, I guess you could argue that prayer is an ancient form of protection; the methods of so called "New Agers" are a lot older, and go back way beyond the 18th century...

I work in a grocery store, in the service deli/bakery...Been working with meat slicers for 20 years...But, I always use the proper forms of protection (safety gloves, shields), and ultimate caution when operating and cleaning the slicer, because all I have to do is get careless one time, and I'll lose a finger or more than one (once bitten, twice shy! Almost lost the tip of my thumb)...I have nothing but respect for the equipment... I would NEVER allow another person to operate that piece of equipment without properly training them in all aspects of safety first...

There are ways to protect yourself and others when doing any kind of communicating with the other side... Why not err on the side of caution? 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
I like your analogy Rook. I think you missed a possibility though. It is entirely possible that the person has surprising success with the saw, either because they spent a lot of time reasoning out on their own the nature of the wood and the saw and the what could happen when the two are put together, or because of an apparently intuitive understanding of woodworking.

But the biggest flaw I see in the analogy is that both saws and wood come from the physical world we inhabit. The ouija board is a physical object made to work with a non-physical "something" that is not of our world. There can't really be a manual, or proper safety equipment, because nobody really knows what force this tool is dealing with. Mediums, Spiritualists, theologians, religious leaders, paranormal investigators and people who are just really interested in spirit contact or the possibilities of the non-physical world sometimes claim to know, without a doubt, what those forces are. But these claims are undermined by the fact that the different groups have contradictory accounts and by the fact that they cannot be demonstrated in a way that meets a reasonable standard of proof. So any manuals that could be studied are going to be based one person or group's theory. Many of the safety precautions prescribed for the use of these tools come from 18th century ceremonial magic, despite the fact that few people find the majority of the practices and theories of those magicians credible today. Or they come from theological theories based on even older theories that, again, many people find flawed in many other ways.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
Nysa,

You ask an very interesting question here...

"Would you theorize that those who use the tools improperly without something negative coming into their lives just got lucky or maybe had stronger wills or even protection they were not aware of?"

I'll answer it by continuing my 'Tool' comparison. For this purpose Ouija Board = Table Saw...

The operator (s) have no instructions/directions for proper use. They have been told how the saw works but have never seen one being use. They do not know what safety equipment to use ect... They approach the equipment and begin to use it... From here many things can happen...1) Nothing... No one 'turned on the equipment'. 2) The operators figure out how to turn it on and are able to cut wood, but it's uneven or not measured correctly (something 'happens' but no one is sure what). 3) Everything works fine... The person (people) gain confidence and then on that 10th time the saw strikes a knot in the wood, it jumps and a persons hand goes into the saw blade... (The people contact a 'nice' spirit a few times, then something 'else' something 'not so nice... Or worse)

This may seem over simplified but in my Opinion it is a fairly accurate description of what can happen.

On the other hand an individual (s) who take the time to learn how to use the equipment, gather the safety materials and use it and carefully 'measure and plan' their project end up with consistent and reliable results with no injuries or surprises.

Again all Ideas and Opinions are my own and in no way represent the Views of the Management.

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
First I'd like to apologize to FillyBaby for hi-jacking your page. Seriously.
Well, I was going to stay away from this, but...
I think we're scaring away more people that needed help by jumping on every Ouija Board experience like that person just crapped on Grandmas sofa.
I think they get the hint after two or three comments. But when it turns into a giant game of Dog Pile, like they always seem to, then it's just overkill. People talking just to see their own words on the page.
It's become a competitive sport around here to see whose got the best reasons for not dabbling.
The best reason I can see is to keep from having to get a lecture, even if it means you fore-go the help you so desperately need.
Just don't pile it so high anymore. Know when enough is enough.
Don't become your parents in the lecture department!

I'm done. 😐
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Alrighty then... I feel that discussions are a way to learn, teach and grow... Discussion is never frowned upon by the site owner, Martin, except when it becomes so heated that the discussors begin to get rude and nasty...

As long as the subject is on topic (in this case Ouija boards), open discussion (including asking questions to someone other than the O/P) is completely acceptable and in most cases encouraged... After all, we're all here to learn, and what better way than to discuss our opinions in a forum such as this... 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
DeviousAngel makes a great metaphor if it is in fact the spirits of the deceased communicating through these tools, it is likely they are as varied and potentially dangerous as the living.

Indigo I am sorry if you are disappointed that I am not playing by the rules as you understood them. The guidelines do clearly state that the story belongs to the poster, meaning we cannot pass it off as our own elsewhere. There is no expectation that the poster owns the comments. I am trying to stay on topic here and will repeat that it is my belief that discussing the different theories on the possible explanations and advice is relevant to the original poster. That
Exploring relevant issues in depth can help a poster figure out her/his situation & that this is an appropriate place to discuss these things for general understanding as well. I did not "pirate" this thread, I haven't interfered with anyone elses ability to post. And furthermore, you responded directly to me first so how is that appropriate but my response to your post inappropriate? If you don't wish to elaborate on your posted opinions that is up to you. My asking questions is no good reason to be rude. So I will continue to post responses I deem appropriate.
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Nysa, I'm sorry if you took my post to be rude, and it was, but here is why:

I'm new here, but understood these threads to be sole property of the person asking the question and posting the stories themselves, and not to be used as a 'general debate' chat board, and certainly not a forum to 'interview' the people posting their suggestions to the o/p.
In being 'interviewed' by you, I was, and still am, highly offended that you even considered yourself to have that 'right' first to ask me for ANYTHING, and secondly, to do so on another persons thread. Trust me, I've been 'interviewed' by enough 'scientists', 'doctors' etc to instantly recognize when someone is asking questions for good or not.
Like I've said before, I'm new here, but I know that just because I'm answering someone elses questions doesn't give you the right to attempt to 'pirate a thread' for the purpose of 'discussion' on your part, and make that posters thread all about what YOU want to know. Take your study elsewhere or start a thread just for your own learning experience. I could care less either way, as long as you never address me with questions set in a scientific 'discussion' bs again.
JarMan (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I wouldn't really think activity from a funeral home would leak over into your home. Besides, funeral homes get a pretty bad rap.

As for waking up feeling constricted, that might be sleep paralysis. It's when your mind is disconnected by your body and you wake up before it has time to re-connect. Trying to mutter prayers could have helped speed up re-connection and allowed you to move again.

A glass falling off a table isn't that big of a deal. How close to the bed was the table, did you perhaps knock it off on accident when you were sleeping? Unless the table was across the room, don't rule that out, it's quite possible.

The biggest problem with the Ouija Board is that, for all intents and purposes, it really is nothing more then a board with a glass eye. The "trick" behind the Ouija Board is that in a group setting, people can manipulate the board without really knowing who is doing it. It ends up becoming a "it wasn't me!" situation.

Can Ouija Boards contact spirits? I like to believe so, but I also believe they are tools and when they aren't used properly, they are about as dangerous as a stack of printer paper. They have this whole negative stereotype behind them and that causes people to have expectations on it.

In this case, I think you guys just scared yourself. If you didn't move planchette then your boyfriend did, even if he says he didn't.

I know this is a real long shot, but it's the best I could do to explain the light, it may have possibly been saint elmo's fire? A weather event that involves a burst of plasma. Contrary to popular belief, it can happen almost anywhere, although I am not sure the likely hood of it happening in a house is.

I can't say what is happening in your house, but I feel like you are causing some of the problems yourself, you are scaring yourself and you need to take a step back, take a deep breath and take a rational look at everything.

I hope for the best, good luck.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Great point, PiP... Human spirits I would imagine would also be prone to human faults, fears, insecurities and mood swings, just as they were when they were living. Heck, we can't control the living, what makes us think we can control the dead? And that does not even begin to touch the topic of non-human spirits that may come through...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as well. ❤
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I think some good points have been made in this discussion. I never commented on the subject of the ouija board, but I do want to say that DeviousAngel has made an excellent metaphor about human strangers/spirit strangers. One thing I want to add to that is this:

Even if the entity one contacts through the ouija board is good-natured or intends well does not mean it can't get mad or a little out of control. If you've ever had one of those selfish friends that only ask you about yourself to talk about themselves, you might be able to see why a spirit that is contacted incorrectly/selfishly could get mad. Abusing any form of communication is bound to have consequences.

Best wishes,
PiP
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
That's a lot of info Rook but I don't think it counts as a rant. Would you theorize that those who use the tools improperly without something negative coming into their lives just got lucky or maybe had stronger wills or even protection they were not aware of? That's a serious question, I really do find the discussion to be helpful and interesting.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I think the point being made here is that the ouija board is not necessarily evil or bad in and of itself, but improperly used it can cause a lot more harm than good. To use a practical example, someone finds themself standing in the middle of a crowded public place. They walk up to a random person and say "hey! You! I want to ask you some questions about yourself, so why don't you come over to my house and visit with me for a while?" You do not know anything about that person and they are a stranger. Say the stranger goes, "okay, sure! I'll come over." You have a 50/50 chance of that person having good or ill intentions in accepting your request. So they come over, get comfortable in your house, and relax with you and your friends. You start asking them questions and they get comfortable. Now they do not want to leave, but you and your friends get bored with them and want them to go. Now how do you get rid of them without pissing them off? After all, you invited them in. You can just tell them to go away, but you made them travel all the way to your house to answer questions and now they are staying at their leisure. Sure, you can tell them to leave, and if they do not, you can call the cops--but you know what the cops are going to say? Well if you did not want him/her here, why did you invite them!?

Same general concept... Only the difference is that spirits can be invisible, and they can be far more effective at harassing you than a living, breathing person that you can physically throw out of the house if it came to it. They can attach themselves to you or one of your loved ones on a near indefinite basis if they want to, and can follow them to THEIR homes. Now you have created a big problem that you do not know how to deal with, so now it is time to call in the cavalry...

So you can call the police or in this case, a professional ghost hunting team or a priest, and they might be able to take steps to get rid of it... But it can take days, weeks, months, even YEARS to completely chase off a spirit. Spirits are capricious and vary in degrees of strength and determination. Sometimes a simple "piss off!" might make them go away, but other times it takes countless time, money and energy spent to get rid of them... And sometimes they go away only to come back later.

So the bottom line is, unless you are prepared to deal with the potential consequences of inviting strangers into your home, keep your doors locked. You never know who--or WHAT--you may be inviting into your home.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I am not arguing for arguments sake, as I clearly said I believe it helps this poster and all reading it to discuss the varying opinions. If you don't care to continue the discussion that is your prerogative. It is fine for me to "chose you" to respond to just as is was fine for you to chose to respond to my opinions. I clearly explained why I used the word bias & it was in no way an insult. You chose not to address any of the challenges I put to your theory, again your prerogative. I was not directing my original opposing opinion towards you and as I stated, only tried to further the discussion because I felt it would help the original poster of this story and because this is an appropriate forum for discussing beliefs about elements of the stories. There is nothing obtuse about asking for clarification or questioning the reasoning behind theories, it is how people discuss opposing opinions. I hope we, along with the theory Rook posted as part of the discussion, have given the poster of this story and others who are interested in the subject some things to consider to help them come to their own conclusions on these issues.
red00292000 (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
sorry for posting my question here...but...
Rook: about cleansing and shielding a. Were you able to try it? B. Did it work? C. Are there any particular condition that these two only works... Or it covers everything... (please try to understand my sentences I'm not good at english)
Coz' I need to do something in my house... D. Should I do it alone... Or I can have companion...I'm afraid something bad will happen while doing the process so I need someone to be with me... My house doesn't have windows...it's being closed for a year now... (nailed) should I have it opened... Actually my house doesn't have proper ventilation... Even when the door is opened it's still dark... Light won't go inside... Please help me...
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Nysa---you are arguing merely for the sake of argument. That is fine that you have decided to argue in an obtuse manner, but not fine that you chose me to do it with. I'm not going to sit here and explain myself over and over and explain a "no bias on my part continually" on someone elses thread, Ok? I highly recommend that you find someone else to argue the matter with.
Dislike my opinion, fine. Give bad karma, ok too. Keep arguing a point more likely to be found in an online chat room. This discussion was about the o/p. NOT your opinion about what I PERSONALLY believe or have seen or dealt with.
I gave the op my opinion, I answered your initial questions. I don't feel the need to continue this discussion with you further, as A: you aren't the o/p and B: I'm sure that no matter what I say, you will pick another point to test and twist and turn I to a moot discussion.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Ok I did not say anything about bashing. I said what I saw was a bias because you said you start with asking about someone in the house using a ouija board or witchcraft. That indicates to me you have a bias, a preconceived idea that one of those things, or illness, is likely to have been a factor. Again, I am not entirely sure what you mean by "Satanism or witchcraft in the old school sense." Things like flying, signing the devil's book, turning the neighbor's milk sour, forecasting the deaths of others, which are the kinds of things people were accused of when witchcraft was illegal? I also don't quite understand what you mean by using these tools irresponsibly. When seeing something as unusual as seeing the planchette move apparently through supernatural means it is going to seem "cool" and it has the ability to make middle-aged people giggle uncontrollably. How is that less than serious attitude going to effect what comes into your life, or for that matter make it more likely that something would come into your life? I don't see how telling this poster to stop being a frivolous teen & get rid of the ouija board helps her.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Ouija Boards... What a topic...

It had it's commercial debut as a TOY on July 1, 1890.

In 1901 William Fuld took over production of the 'Ouija Board'. Mr. Fuld passed away in 1927 and in 1966 Parker Brothers bought the Rights to the 'Game' from his Estate and to this day they hold all the trademarks and patents.

Enough background... The Problem is that these 'games' are being mass produced and offer few 'instructions', if any, on how to use them... And include no 'protective' or 'containment' instructions/advice what so ever. EXAMPLE:

From the Museum of Talking Boards Site...

Mr. Fuld's boards had this printed on the back of them...

"Place the board upon the knees of two persons, lady and gentleman preferred, with the small table upon the board. Place the fingers lightly but firmly, without pressure, upon the table so as to allow it to move easily and freely. In from one to five minutes the tablet will commence to move, at first slowly, then faster, and will be then able to talk or answer questions, which it will do rapidly by touching the printed words or the letters necessary to form words and sentences with the foreleg or pointer.

2nd - Care should be taken that one person only should ask questions at a time, so as to avoid confusion, and the questions should be put plainly and accurately.

3rd - To obtain the best results it is important that the persons present should concentrate their minds upon the matter in question and avoid other topics. Have no one at the table who will not sit seriously and respectfully. If you use it in a frivolous spirit, asking ridiculous questions, laughing over it, you naturally get undeveloped influences around you.

4th - The Ouija is a great mystery, and we do not claim to give exact directions for its management, neither do we claim that at all times and under all circumstances it will work equally well. But we do claim and guarantee that with reasonable patience and judgment it will more than satisfy your greatest expectation."

5th - In putting the table together wet the tops of the legs, and drive them firmly into the table. Care should be taken that they are firm and tight. 6th - The board should be kept smooth and free from dust and moisture, as all depends upon the ease with which the feet of the table can glide over the surface of the board. Rubbing with a dry silk handkerchief just before use is advised."

If memory serves me right I do not believe the Parker Brothers 'Board' even has that many Directions/Instructions included with it.

Now add to the equation teenagers/young adults that feel 'indestructible' and just want to see the board 'work'.

The Spirit world responds... Sometimes with very 'bad results'. People say...'why is this happening?' Uh...Duh...

You have (In My Opinion) 3 'Levels' in the Spirit World...

Celestial- Highest level... Angels and Demons reside here.

Telestial- 'In the Middle'... Human Spirits awaiting the 'Resurrection' so that Judgment may be passed and their 'Fate' is decided. The place where 'reincarnation' can happen from. Some 'Ghost's come from this 'Level'.

Terrestrial- 'Earthbound' Human Spirits. Those that died suddenly and don't know they are dead... Those that feel they have unfinished business...ect...

The 'Board' allows contact with any of these 'Levels' and with 'No Rules' the people 'Playing' have no way to choose which 'Level' is contacted.

Why is this bad...

Malicious Spirits and Worse will take advantage of the Contact being made and use it to establish a hold (a stronger hold in the case of Earthbound Spirits) here in the Physical Realm... Malicious Spirits will do this in order to cause Fear, Pain, Depression... Anything that helps create a Negative Atmosphere which they seem to thrive in. Should an actual 'Demon' be contacted it will use the Connection to establish a foothold in the Physical World because it has been denied that by it's 'choices' that made it a 'Demon' on the Celestial 'Level'. (That gets way, way into a Religious Discussion... Not for here.)

My Problem with this... The Ouija Board has come to be regarded as a 'GAME' and it's not. It's a TOOL used for Communication with Spirit's. Every Tool has 'Rules/Instructions' that must be followed so that it is used Properly and Safely.

Sorry, I seem to have gone on a RANT... Didn't mean to... Hope that my thoughts on this matter are helpful in some way.

Respectfully,

Rook
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Its pretty simple I agree whole heartedly with Devious on this one. There may have been something residing within the home, but your continued use of trying to summon and speak to spirits via Ouija Board is the reason why you are experiencing these events. There is a possibility it may be poltergeist related, the age and circumstances do match up. Stop using the Ouija Board!

Dan
Indigo (263 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
No, I'm in no way bashing. Not at all, even though it may sound like it. It's normal and fine to be curious.

What I AM saying, is this:
When you use a tool, no matter what that tool is, use it RESPONSIBLY. If that tool is witchcraft, a oujia, tarot, pendulums, dousing rods, anything at all... Use it, but learn to use it properly first.
If you're buying your kid a toy, think responsibly. Teach them to use it correctly before letting them go it alone. You wouldn't buy a child a table saw or a gun or a car and expect them to know how to use it safely on their own... So why something that they can operate paranormally without giving them a good lesson in the how's and why's first? It's completely irresponsible on OUR parts, as adults.
I have no bias with the communication. None at all. I DO have a bias against irresponsibility.
As far as the people being contacted without having initiated anything, yes. It happens. It happens a lot. So do car accidents. Giving the keys to your sports car to a teen whos only experience in driving is a video game is probably not the best idea.
When you buy a child a dirt bike and you expect a few scrapes and bruises it ok. Right? Until they have a bad accident, and then it's not so much alright. Buy a kid a ouija saying "here honey, you go talk to some ghosts"...what do you expect?

Most of my personal experiences with getting rid of unwanted things are caused because "it was funny and cool" quoting the o/p. Some of the homes I've dealt with have teens that were dabbling in the occult as well. I'm not talking the 'new age Wiccan groups' and before you start on that again no, I have no bias there, either. I'm talking straight up satanism or witchcraft in the old school
Sense of the word. Again. No bias.

Another point that I'm trying to get across is: don't go chasing cows then cry about it when you catch a bull.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Thank you for sharing your opinions. I hope you will contine to discuss this, I think it is extremely helpful as well as enlightening to have the differing opinions discussed in the context of these stories. I do have some questions and comments.
Can you back your arguments up with scientific data or a chain of logical reasoning? What I see in your example is that you have a bias against such forms of contact so you base your assumptions off of that bias. Many people claim to have similar ghostly encounters without ever having initiated contact with anything, how might they have been chosen? You say that these entities feed off of their energy but humans put off excess energy in millions of situations & by that argument all large gatherings would create a hazard. I don't fully understand what you mean when you say communicating is not the problem but not knowing when to quit is. Are you suggesting there is a threshold at which it becomes unsafe? I am also very curious about you asking in your scenario if anyone is practicing witchcraft. Can you elaborate on that? Lastly you say kids are going to go straight to demons, in virtually every account I have ever read or been told about those using the ouija, as well as other forms of communication, specifically had in mind speaking with the deceased. Are you saying they are attempting to speak exclusively with malevolent entities or fallen angels, however you define demons?
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
May I say a few things here?

First of all a ouija board in and of itself isn't the problem. The fact that people use them to communicate with entities from the other side IS the problem. Especially when in your early teens to twenties, when your hormones and everything else cause more spiritual energy and power... Usually attracts negative energy, no matter how positive a person you may think you are. The monopoly board comparison is both good and bad, in the sense that nobody uses a monopoly board to connect with the other side, but if they were to start, I'm sure people would be calling up bad energy with them. I'm sure you could use anything to call anything towards you: magic 8 balls, monopoly (which IMHO would take FORever lol) or any other board game or toy. The ouija is primarily used, though, because it allows these things to communicate with us. I'm sure the letter refrigerator magnets would get much of the same effect.
The PROBLEM is NOT in communicating with spirits. The problem is, that normally teens play with this (I should know, I've gotten rid of TONS of these things) 'game' and, no offense to the teens on here, but most people in this age group don't use or don't have the adult sense to know when to quit. They get a reaction and it's "COOL" They keep doing more and more to attract the thing. Their personal energies are strong, but compound that times the number of people broadcasting energy and you have a VERY fertile feeding ground. These feeding grounds aren't commonly used by the "good" (and I use that term loosely, mind you) spirits of say, family, friends... The cute Casper fantasy type spirits. Once the feeding starts, these things gain more power. They don't like it when they stop getting their energy 'feed' and much like a human drug addict, they go off in a huge way when they can't have what they want or need and will do anything to get it.

Here's a common scenario in my life, for example:
Phone rings about 5pm. I answer, it's someone that wants help with crazy weird crap going on in their homes. I ask if there are teens living there already KNOWING that there are. I have them describe their situation and ask if anyone is ill, on medications, practicing witchcraft, playing with a ouija, etc. The concerned parent is normally excitedly hushed voiced and embarassed when they admit "oh, OUIJA, ummmm yeah, see... Sarah and Bobby wanted one for Christmas... I just COULDN'T say no"
That's when I go through the lecture of "Sarah and Bobby are 13 and 15... Did you supervise the game?" "wellllll...no, they had several friends over and have been playing in groups for over a year now and the activity is getting worse, I just don't understand it!"
Well, honestly, your kids don't try talking to grandma, or Casper the friendly ghost, they go directly to demons. Period. The board is their prop. It gives them and their little buddies confidence. They call thinking it's funny and cool, then when the chit hits the fan, it ain't cool or fun anymore. Then they go running to mom and dad. Mom and dad call a priest... Priest laughs. No ma'am, I'm not coming to bless your house. "oh Sarah called forth a demon on ouija...no. Nope. Sorry.". Then they call witches or ghost hunters or folks like me. I've seen it over and over and over.

It's not that the ouija board itself is BAD...it's the INTENT of the people (untrained KIDS that the parent just couldn't say NO to) that are using them.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Sorry, I had a poor choice of vocabulary. I should have written:
"I would never SAY that someone's experience isn't real..." 😳
stephyw2001 (guest)
+6
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I tend to agree with you Nysa. I don't doubt that people have had experiences with a Ouiji board, in fact I'm sure some have! However, I think that the "power" of a Ouiji board is the fear that the player has given him/herself.

I will never deny that someone's experience isn't real, because I wasn't there and that would be wrong of me. However, I think many parts of this story can be explained by mischeivous pets and paranoia.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I disagree with the opinions that your use of the ouija board caused these events. It is illogical to believe that it would be dangerous while the monopoly board manufactured beside it is safe. Further, the argument that you are drawing attention to yourself is just as nonsensical. If there are entities out there that wish you harm they aren't going to wait for you to talk to them to hurt you. It is like walking down the street, you are in no more danger of being attacked by a mentally disturbed individual because you say hello to everyone you pass. They might attack you because you glanced at them, because you were wearing green, or because you happened to be there when their headache started. That does not mean you should fear walking down the street or should stop greeting the people you pass. It means you should be aware of your surroundings. If spirits and other things can communicate with us you should be aware that there is the possibility some would like to harm you. Besides the rather uncredible threat made towards you I don't see attempts at harm. And there is the distinct possibility that messages on the ouija come through movement our unconscious mind creates, often, I suspect out of a desire to encounter the unknown and be scared. The misconception that the board itself is dangerous is one purposely perpetuated by those who believe that such communication is unnatural and by those who have been told to fear it and believe the cautionary tales, sometimes to the extent that they unconsciously create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Most of your frightening experiences could have been nightmares and the others might have logical explanations, some of which have been suggested. And all of them could be a result of your depression, which I don't believe will be helped by blaming yourself.
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Many things paranormal come to people who "bring it to themselves" so to speak... Just as the other posters have mentioned about ouija boards. Although many believe it to be the board itself, it can also be the strict attention given to it that could attract them...
Besides all of that I doubt the funeral home has anything to do with it. I'm no expert, but if I died and became a ghost, a funeral home is the last place I'd go 😜
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
I know other people have been saying this, but I'll reiterate because I didn't know about it until someone told me... Ouija boards are bad news. I'm told that they are portals for spirits to come through. I know it's hard to think about that in something that's mass-produced and made of cardboard or plastic, but I think the thing that matters is if you put your faith into getting a response from something like that, it will come. And it will usually be bad. As far as not being able to move after waking up, this could possibly just be a case of sleep-paralysis. While you sleep, your brain paralyzes your body so you don't act out your dreams. Sometimes, it takes a while to wear off if you're awoken suddenly. It's quite possible that your house is haunted, but it sounds mostly benign. Besides the sightings and footsteps, there doesn't appear to be any malevolent behavior, but then, if anything does happen, do follow the cleansing advice given to you on this board. Sorry this is so lengthy, but I hope it helps. And don't worry about your cat. Mine stares at the ceiling and walls all the time.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
So let me get this straight. You go and play with a ouija board and summon spirits, and you think it is funny and cool that a spirit claiming to be a demon says it belongs to you, but when you start experiencing symptoms of a haunting you cry out for Jesus to help you? That is a huge red flag for me. That is like intentionally setting the house on fire and then panicking and calling the fire department to come rescue you. After that point I did not even bother to read the rest of this. You know why this is happening.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Hi Filly. I have to ask, because the minute you said a glass fell and shattered I thought "you must have a cat". Then I read further, and sure enough you do.

Are you sure your cat was locked away that night?
I am a huge cat person, and I know the mischeif that those cute little devils cause. Mine knock stuff over constantly, either to amuse themselves, or to wake me up. They can run away very quickly when busted too. So when you woke up and didn't see it, it may have already ran for it.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: