You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Something Strange About the Rental House

Real Ghost Stories

Something Strange About the Rental House

 

Back in Feb 2003 my house burned down. I was a 7th grader. We were living in a rental house (which was newly built, we were the first people to stay there) while our house was being rebuilt. One night over the summer, I was up late reading. I went to bed at 11, and had trouble sleeping, feeling a bit afraid in the dark. At 1 am, I turned the hall light on and kept my door fully open. 5 minutes later, I heard the screen door downstairs open. I sat there listening, very afraid. I heard footsteps walk through the living room and kitchen, through the hall and stop at the stairs. A moment later they began to ascend. I waited, my heart pounding and my palms sweaty. I stared out my doorway, I had a view of the stairs through my door, but where my bed was I could only see about a 3rd of the staircase. A sliver of black came into view and then moved. I hid under my covers. The footsteps stopped at my door. Suddenly I heard a noise a few feet from my bed, that sounded like a pile of laundry being dropped. Then I felt as if someone was standing near my bed. I held my breath but thought I heared breathing above me. I felt a light pressure on my bed near my leg. I got up some courage, took a breath, and flung my covers off, ready to scream. No one was there. I looked around my whole room, behind my bed, under, in my closet (though I knew no one would be there) and couldn't find anyone.

I ran out of my room to my parents room down the hall, not looking around me, only focusing on their door. I went in and told them what happened. They told me if I was scared, to go sleep in my sisters' room. Shocked they wouldn't get up to check for an intruder, I left to sleep with my 2 sisters. While I was in there, I could hear noises in the hall. I wasn't sure if my parents had gotten up, or if it was something else. The next morning, my mom asked what happened. I explained, and she told me the sliding door had been wide open when she came down that morning.

I had always thought it was a person sneaking into our house. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I never thought it was anything else until awhile later when we weren't in the house anymore. My parents and siblings have told me their own stories.

Apparently one day, my younger brother was home alone when he heard noises in our parents room, like someone going through drawers and pulling things out. He went to check, and saw no one. Everything was as it should be. He called my mom crying, telling her what had happened.

My sisters say one day in their room, they were laughing at a small stuffed lion sitting on their globe lamp. They were making fun of it, when suddenly it went flying off.

My step dad has said he was in his room alone, and he heard a noise like a finger nail tapping on the window. There was no way anyone could have been up there. He also heard loud moaning in the bathroom once (makes sense, right? Haha).

Even my mom, who, while she believes in ghosts, is not one to get worked up over anything, believes something was strange about the rental house. She has said that there were many times she thought Frank, my step dad, had been coming home, but when she checked, there was no one.

I still remember a similar thing happened to my brother and I when we were alone. We thought someone was coming in, but when we checked, no one was there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, serenity14, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

GhostTracker (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
Someone must of died there. If you hear laundry dropping, It must be a family member picking out clothes.
Sparkie (6 stories) (30 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
You might want to do some research on that area because it sounds like before that house was built, another one might have been there and something happened there. It sounds peaceful and nosey though. I wouldn't worry to much but keep a watchful eye.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
I would think that this was an intelligent haunting going on in this rental home. I do not think anyone was ever in danger as it sounds as if there was a family just going about doing family things, the laundry, going through their bureaus, checking on their children.
Thank you.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
sounds like it could be a resident haunting (a psychic imprint) Except for the lion incident. Hope your family is doing better.
ducky493 (11 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-28)
i would usul tell my pernts but in your case its differnt I would do some reaserch about the rental house and see who last lived there. Happy wishes to your faimly ducky 😊 😉
Savannah (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-23)
To me it doesn't sound like a spirit of a person that once lived their. Maybe its a spirit of a intruder that was killed in that house. I think this because, why would a ghost want to go through someones things? I have a strange mind anyways.
Shadows (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-21)
It's probably the ghost of a family that used to live there. You say you heard laundry dropping? It may just be this ghost family living as though they never died, and going about their daily business. Try not to interfere if you aren't sure if they're spirits that mean no harm.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-21)
Dear Stephanie,

Since your story conveys that all your family members, including yourself had unusual experiences in the rental house, it was as you suspect most likely a haunted house. If these things only happened to all of you at that house, it is also most likely that the ghost was confined to that house or area.

Sorry to hear your house burned down, and hope your family recovered and have rebuilt and are now living in a new home making more happy memories.

Home Sweet Home, only invited guests allowed, Blessings, --Abby

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: