You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Since I Was Young

Real Ghost Stories

Since I Was Young

 

I have greatly admired and enjoyed this site as it brings people with similar experiences together and helps people feel like they are NOT alone and NOT crazy. I just want to give kudos out there to everybody who has been brave enough to post a story, and here I go posting my own:

I was born to parents with firm belief that ghosts did NOT exist (which I would later learn they forced themselves to believe because they were scared of what had happened to them... But that's for later) and, as a result, were not too convinced when my sister or I came to them and told them about such experiences we had that we felt abnormal or, most times, paranormal. I can absolutely see where my parents were coming from when they looked at us in disbelief; having two little girls with a flair for the dramatic with nightmares is not that uncommon and some of it can definitely be argued to be imaginative. It wasn't until I got older, and when I continued having experiences, that I re-thought my childhood encounters and took a keen interest in the paranormal and all things ghostly.

During school (K-12) I had a very tough time. I was the easiest to pick on (probably did that to myself) and I have selective memory from my childhood, though some memories filter through (as they always do). Some (not all, of course) of the memories I have are of night terrors, experiences, whatever you want to call them, that I have reflected on and decided that they might be worth taking a second look at.

ANYWAYS, when I was six, I had what I called a "special place" in our backyard. It was right underneath where my mom had hung chimes and there was a landscaping rock there as well that was interesting. I would spend hours standing out there, looking up at the chimes, skipping around in a circle singing and sitting there staring at the rock. My mom told me later that she thought something was wrong with me, but when I came in I was perfectly "normal". She asked me what I had been doing, and I told her that I was "talking to the spirits in my special place". She was pretty taken aback, but I think she just attributed it to my imagination and was glad I was getting some fresh air.

That Christmas, my little sister and I decided to go all out and had tiny little Christmas lights strung across our rooms. We turned them off every night as my parents came to tuck us in, and when we forgot, my mom usually got up in the middle of the night to turn them off.

One night, she woke up to the Christmas lights in my room shining reeeeally brightly, so she lugged herself out of bed to come in and turn them off, as she assumed that I had just left them on or turned them on again after she had tucked us in. (My parents bedroom was across the tiny hall from mine). When she got into my room, she found me awake, wide-eyed and crying, sitting upright in my bed. She went into "soothing mom mode" and asked me why I was crying. I said that I turned the Christmas lights on because I was scared, but when I did, I could feel the presence of my Auntie Arlene, who had died four years before when I was only 2 years old. It was around this time that I also started talking about the "vampire kids" under my bed that were my friends. Weird, right?

I started getting horrid night terrors when I was about seven, stuff so convaluted that my elementary school brain couldn't wrap around it, so I would ask my parents and sometimes they would just stare at me without saying anything. I began to become terrified of the vampire kids and my "special place". I started avoiding the backyard (and consequently gained weight because I wasn't as active; this is when the bullying at school started). Maybe I was so stressed out from the bullying, I started to make things up to be "friends" with me? Who knows.

Throughout junior high, things started to get a bit better; I was better at defending myself and threw myself into my schoolwork. I also moved to the downstairs bedroom as I was a teenager, and we ALL know teenagers need some space! It was comfortable to me, but it took me awhile to get used to. Even as a teen, I had a feeling that those "vampire kids" followed me down there and were underneath my bed just waiting for me. Not a big deal, though, so I settled in to my new space nicely. I lived in the downstairs basement in solitude until I was about fifteen and my little sister moved into the former office across from my bedroom. It was after then that we both experienced some activity.

Now, my sister was known to sleep walk and talk. She gave herself a black eye when she was about ten from sleep walking! Anyway, I was up late one night finishing my homework when I heard my sister babbling away in her sleep. I had gone in to check on her like I always did to turn her over because she usually snored after she talked and it kept me up all night.

I was in the hallway, my back turned to my doorway and just about to enter hers when the toilet in the bathroom immediately to the right flushed. At first I thought it may have been her, but I was staring at her babble and toss in her bed! So I called out to my parents, hoping one of them had heard her as well and had checked on her, using the toilet on their way back upstairs. No answer and the light wasn't on, so I flipped it on and checked it out.

I know toilet's sometimes flush by themselves and I was tired, so I brushed it off as my imagination, but the random flushings happened all the time after that, so much so that my father got the plumbing checked out. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, but every time it happened, I still blamed faulty plumbing. No big deal there.

It was about a year after our "rogue toilet" flushed randomly every week that I saw the little boy. I had had a dream about him the night before I saw him, so I figured that it was just a recurring nightmare, and it may have been, but I figured it might be worth mentioning.

He was a tiny little thing with hair sticking straight up, solemn look on his little white face and creepy red eyes. The kind of eyes that you see in horror movies. In the dream I had, he had been murdered by his father in their hot tub and buried in the flower garden. It's strange: I remember the dream so vividly but only because this flower garden was immaculately beautiful, but I hardly remember dreaming about a poor little boy being murdered by his father. As I say that, I get almost a guilty feeling.

Anyway, this little boy appeared in my doorway, peeking around it. It startled me so much that I screamed loudly! However, of course, after that he disappeared and I was totally fine. I heard my mother race downstairs, but by the time she got to me, I had settled right down and was drinking a glass of water peacefully.

I just noticed how long this is getting. I think I'll end that there and post more recent happenings in a different thread so that it doesn't become too long.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kathwitt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
Wow, I am sorry I missed out on this story and glad I had the chance to read it now. It sounds like you have been sensitive to spirits since you were very young. I, too am wondering about the vampire children. It could be that it was an imaginary friend thing, and that it started to get creepy once you were seeing spirits, but I wonder if you could relay a description of them? The little boy is certainly of some interest, and perhaps he looked angry and red-eyed to you because he was so sad and upset about what his father did to him. Thank you for sharing your experiences!
kathwitt (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
wow...
You.guys.are.fabulous!
I'm so glad I posted this story here, I never would have considered the theories and ideas that you guys put forth

Zzsgranny: thank you! Snake-arm thingys sound creepy!

Indigo: I read the wikipedia page on that; very interesting! I did find a few things familiar, especially the line about parents and peers thinking of an indigo child as "strange". The empathy is big as well. Thank you for that, it piqued my interest for sure!

Nighthingale23: haha thanks! I couldn't think of any other way to describe it... It was like it had a mind of its own! The boy was very scary... I can still remember what he looks like. The house wasn't that old that I know of, probably 30 years old. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the land, or was just a night terror. Thank you for your ideas!

Bacchaegrl: good question! They always would pop up at the end of my bed like a jack in the box kind of thing. They were black shadows, and I was always afraid they would suck the blood of off my feet, so maybe that's why I named them vampire kids... The little boy wasn't a black shadow like they were, and he came a little bit later, but that's definitely a point to ponder. They may have hung out under my bed because I was afraid of it under there, feeding on the fear of that? From a skeptical view, I have thought that maybe they were a figment of my imagination and were my "friends" as a coping mechanism to my being so afraid of under my bed.

Taz890: thank you! I never thought about asking my mother or my uncle or other people who knew my aunt about that... I will have to do that! Great idea!

Nysa: I still have night terrors (and I'm in my 20's!) I definitely still do the same thing, rationalizing things away. That's why I am grateful for this site, people with different ideas offering up explanations, theories, ideas. It is so helpful!
I no longer live there: (my parents' house), and have had a few experiences since getting married and living in two houses on my own, I will definitely post that in another story!

CandyPrincess12: thank you so much! Its nice to have people to relate to:) "rogue toilets" are the worst!

Curiosity-1: the vampire kids were a bit different, but I agree with you, it could have been my mind's gears going around like that. I hadn't considered that possibility.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Curiosity-1 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
Just curious, but did the little boy ever come off as one of the "vampire kids"?
Because of the description of him, pale skin, red eyes, its a typical chiche description of a vampire.
So maybe that's where he came from all of a sudden?
And maybe that's why they were called the "vampire kids" because of what they looked like and it reminded you of vampires.
😊
CandyPrincess12 (3 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
Wow. I Love this story so much. ❤ I can relate to a lot of these things that you've said in this. I've had my toliet do the same... And before I moved to my new house... I as well lived in the basement and I had a horrible time with nightmares and my own terrifing encounters. Thank you so much for posting this dear. 😁 God Bless. 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
My little sister had night terrors, it was terrifying to just see happening to someone else. I wonder if you called them vampire kids because they were pale and creepy looking? I can relate to rationalizing away strange events, that was my preferred coping mechanism. It sounds like you no longer live there did the experiences stop when you left the house?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
great story thanks for adding 😊
Would like to hear more about these vampire kids!
Have to ask do you know how your aunt felt about christmas, was she like over the top every thing got decorated, huge tree and lights everywhere?
I just get the feeling she wanted to be with family again for christmas.
The spirits in the garden has to be my fav part of this, so sweet 😁
Looking forward to your next post
Carl
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
What exactly is a "vampire kid"? Were they in any way similar to the little boy you saw? I only ask this because it seems that you were aware of them when you were a bit older. What were they like? Why do you think they hung out under your bed?
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I'm still laughing at the "rougue toilet" haha. But thank you for sharing this with us, as you know children are more open to the spirit world so I don't doubt you might have spoken or interacted with a couple in the backyard. Though the dream and the apparition of the little boy is a little weird, I'm sure the flower bed mus be beautiful but have you ever thout of maybe... Doing... A little digging? How old was that house?. Maybe the poor boys soul is trapped there if his body still remains there. Anyways I look forward to more of your stories!.

God bless. ❤
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Kathwitt, you may want to google indigo children. You might find many things familiar.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
kathwitt: Great account! 😊...I can relate to the stuff under your bed, except mine were snake-arm-thingies 😆...And the Christmas lights?...Yep, been there; done that LOL!...Thanks for posting... I enjoyed reading this, and I'm looking forward to more! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: