You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Black Butterfly

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Butterfly

 

Let me start off by saying that I did not feel threatened by the "butterfly" that I saw, and am posting this story because I wish to see if anyone has any ideas on what it could of been and if it was a spirit, why it would take said shape.

About a month ago, I was just finishing up my nightly Scripture reading and saying my prayers when I began to get the feeling that something was in the room with me. I thought I was just allowing my imagination to run wild, so I simply said a quick blessing for my room and house and brushed off the experience. About five minutes later I turned off my light and climbed into bed.

I again felt that something was in the room with me, and I quickly glanced around. (By this time my eyes had become adjusted to the dark and I was able to make out my room quite clearly.) What I saw suprised me.

Seeming to float in front of my (shut) closet and above my headboard, which had been placed about two feet from my bed with the intention of disposing of it the next day, was a black butterfly that seemed to be made of solid shadow, if such a thing were possible. The butterfly was about a foot across and about the same lengh wise.

As is probably obvious, I was quite startled by the vision and blinked a few times rapidly in the attempt to clear my vision of the thing that I was sure I was imagining. It was still there. It then began to ascend to the ceiling and float across it until it was approximately above my feet. I was beginning to feel a bit wierded out by the butterfly and said a blessing to be rid of it.

A very odd thing happened next, the butterfly dissappeared when I was looking at it but when I looked away and then looked back it appeared that someone had erased it, for there was black shadow smudges in the area where the butterfly had been floating. I then proceeded to turn on the light and there was not anything there.

Does anybody know what in the world this could be? I have talked to my family members that reguarly see this type of thing (spirits, not butterflies) and they said that it went away so don't worry about it, but I can't help wondering.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Taylor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jdawg (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-23)
I've seen something very similar but it flew in my window and fluttered in front of me then up to ceiling and it had a red pulsing lights coming from it. It was about the same size as you described and when I turned the light on it disappeared.
OceanTame (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-17)
Actually, it was not a fake post. I just somehow keep changing my name.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Anyone else think it's a bit odd that the author has not posted a comment, but another poster posted a comment taking the part of the author? And isn't Taylor the name of that gremlin who posts all the fake stories on here? Just seems a little fishy to me.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Let's forget about symbolism for a moment. There is such a thing as black butterflies. I've seen them. Could it not have been a real butterfly? Also, if she was staring at it, perhaps the "shadow smudges" were just a "halo" effect.

I have to be truthful. I'm not convinced that this was a paranormal experience.
oceansea (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
Hey everybody,
Thank you for your posts! They have been helpful and interesting!
Nobody has died in at least a year and a half, and I had not seen that person for many years... So that idea is out the window, but it was a great explanation!
A Fae could be interesting and would make a bit of sense, I suppose. I always used to build faerie houses when I was young, perhaps I made a friend. 😉
Blue Turtle, it was sticking to the wall.
It was the shape of a butterfly that a child would draw, I could not see a body or anything of that sort.
Thanks agian everybody!
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
mythman,
brilliant, another mystery solved.
You have such a way with words, I can only imagine how popular you are in the real world.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Of course, all things being equal, and not to sensationalize, maybe the butterfly is just a butterfly.

Jav 😊
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
In native American symbology, the butterfly is a symbol of the afterlife and drastic change, beauty, happiness and joy. Butterflies represent human souls and carry your dreams and wishes to spirit.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
I 'googled' black butterfly spirit symbolism and here are 2 sites I would reccommend you having a look at:
Http://www.ravenmedium.com/TotemAnimals.htm (you will have to scroll down until you reach Butterfly); and, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_symbolic_meaning_of_a_butterfly ("First of all the butterfly symbolizes new life from and old one. Seeing that the color black is a strong yet subtle color, the black butterfly symbolizes the new strong but subtle life after a period of transformation.
In some cultures the butterfly is also considered to bring luck").
Hope this helps 😁.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I like the fairy idea. I know some cultures believes spirits can return to Earth as butterflies. I believe that the mass migration of butterflies from Mexico north is considered by some to be the departing of the souls of all those who died that year for the afterlife. My grandmother believed that my father came to her as a butterfly shortly after he died to let her know he was ok. I think it is a lovely thought.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
That seems pretty deep, to have an experience like that. I like D/A's opinion that it might be a fairy. It could also be something that chose to show itself as a symbol rather than it's actual self. Do you have any dead relatives? I've heard of spirits taking the form of butterflies before, but never anything as big as what you saw. Um... Interdimensional being? I'm trying to convince myself that these beings are possibilities. Maybe in your case, a creature like this was actually from another dimension. Perhaps that is why it looked shadowy and maybe that would explain why it looked so odd when it vanished. I really have no idea what you saw. But it must have been a rather spiritual and enlightening experience. At least, I would take it that way.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I found this...

Http://www.psychicguild.com/articles_view.php?id=418

This article may be a possible explanation of the butterfly as a spirit guide. The fact that you saw it as a shadow entity may also represent something you are uncertain of, or else have not been made aware of yet. I could be wrong, but it seems the most plausible. Usually if I meditate in front of fire with my eyes closed, I 'see' (within my mind's eye) butterflies made of fire. I interpret these as elemental spirits or fae, not so much as literal butterflies. Perhaps that may be true for your case as well?
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Was this butterfly 3D or was it sticking to the wall and the ceiling like a proper shadow? It sounds like it was a peaceful apparition that just wanted to be acknowledged. Did you have anyone in your family who had passed away that might have had an afinity for butterflies? I tried looking up any meaning to butterfly shadows or spirits and all I got was an urban dictionary description of a double punch to the arm. No matter what this was, and despite the fact that it scared you (it would have scared me too), it seemed harmless in nature and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: