You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Homey Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

Homey Spirits

 

My story is from a few years ago when I lived in my old home.

I'd never experienced anything even slightly paranormal before so I was a little unnerved when strange things started to happen.

The house was only 3 years old and we were renting it. So as far as I know nothing traumatic had ever happened there. It was a huge modern house and didn't have a backyard but instead a balcony that faced a cliff that dropped into bushland. It was an amazing view and is basically what won us over when we first saw the house.

I'm not sure when exactly things started to get strange but I'll recount it in order of what I remember.

My dog Shadow is a poodle who is generally happy and friendly in nature and always wants to play, however soon after we moved in she started to get quiet and reserved. She would sit and stare for minutes at a time at a blank wall or closed door and no matter how many times you called her she wouldn't move. It was kind of like she was in a trance even if you touched her she wouldn't move. I used to sit and watch her when she got like that to see what happened, I'd call to her and she'd just sit there. After maybe 5 minutes or so she'd just get up, walk off and be completely normal.

The house was on top of a hill and so was always in the direct line of sun during the day time but no matter what part of the house you were in or how hot it was the house was always freezing.

So my room was at the front of the house directly next to the front door and across from our computer room. Futher along the hall was my brothers room and across the hall my parents room. Next to my brothers room was a flight of stairs that led down into our games room, laundry and garage. The end of the hall upstairs ended in out dining room attached to the kitchen and lounge room.

What I remember is late at night I'd hear footsteps walking up and down the hall. I'd lay in bed for maybe 3-4 minutes listening to them walk up and down like marching. Thinking it was one of my parents I got up and went to look but there was never anyone there. This would happen most nights although sometimes I didn't wake up during the night so it could have always been happening.

I asked my brother & parents but they never heard it.

I would also hear the computer keys typing in the middle of the night, go to check and there'd be no one there. As soon as I'd get back into bed it would start up again just like the walking in the hall.

Sometimes when walking past the stairs I'd hear whispers. My mum also said she'd heard whispers but could never make out what was being said or how old the person sounded.

My mum also claimed that whilst downstairs doing the washing she'd hear people walking around upstairs and moving chairs but she'd be the only one home. She'd go upstairs to look around and then hear the balls on the pool table down stairs being rolled around. The tv and radio would also also turn on randomly throughout the day.

We never felt threatened by whatever was in the house but obviously it was a little scary.

I'd appreciate any ideas of what it could have been and why it was there seeing as it was a new house and nothing had ever happened there before.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rjay99, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
I find the title of this story humorous. Be careful though. Some people could take it the wrong way.

This sounds like "normal" spirit activity to me. I don't think there was an evil presence there. Thanks for sharing.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
rjay99,

Thanks for the reply! 😁 I am glad I found it too! I can't wait to hear your mum's experiences. By the way, I had a turtle too; but he was a desert tortise and lived in our backyard. I swear, it's like we're long lost twins! LOL 😆 ❤
rjay99 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Thanks everyone for commenting! I really appreciate it!

Stephy - Your story was cute! Haha I don't have a hampster but it would explain alot! I did have turtles that lived in abig tank in the hall way but they hardly ever made noise and when they did it sounded nothing like what I was hearing.

Miracles - I never at all felt threatened like it wanted to hurt me or was watching me, it sounded like it just had fun playing around with our furniture. I was scared with the footsteps at night but only because I had no idea what it was!

Pretty - I'm glad you found it! Yes knowing mum had heard it too made it easier! At least then I knew I wasn't crazy! I'd love to read more of your stories too! I'm going to submit some of my mums when I get the chance!

Candy - I didn't mind our ghost (if that's what it was) after a while either. It just seemed it be part of the place and played around a little. It was kind of funny having friends stay over and at night hearing foot steps in the hall.

Otteer- I never thought of doing that at all! It would of been a great idea to see if it caught anything on tape! I've moved houses since then so its a bit late to try but if I experience anything again I'll give it a try!

Lilady - It does! Haha I think it just liked to have fun and play with our minds haha!

❤ ❤ ❤
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
What a very interesting story here, rjay99. That stuff would've freaked me out as well 😨. I've had similar activity, a Spirit actually took a juice jug lid off heaps of times! It sounds like these Spirits/Spirit was just cheeky and wanting attention.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
lol, have enjoyed the story and all the comments! It does sound like you have someone, something, trying to get your attention. The fact your dog isn't freaking is reassuring, whatever is there isn't threatening to him. Sounds like your home is a prime candidate for multiple video setups... Have you thought of doing this?

Thanks for sharing everyone!
CandyPrincess12 (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
I've also heard footsteps in my new house that I just moved in about a week ago. One night, Well... Last night to be right... I was layin' in my bed... All the lights were off in the house and everyone was sleeping... But not me. LOL. Anyway, When I was watchin' Slipknot play live, (It was on TV so I watched it because I love Slipknot ❤) Anyway, I saw a light come on in the living room. I thought it might have been my grandmother (Who now lives with us). Then after about 4 or 5 minutes the light turns back off. So, I think my grandma just wanted to get her housecoat that she left in there. Then about 10 minutes later the light cuts back on again. I go check to see who/what it is. No one is there. So, I left the light on and went walkin' down the hall again... And as I was half way down the hall... It cuts off. O.o It was creepy, But I love my ghost in this house... They don't bother me. (: So, I think this is a really long comment... Sorry!:P Thank you for sharing. God Bless babes. ❤
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
rjay99,

Yay! I am so happy you submitted your experiences. That is so scary about the footsteps. And then the computer typing- that's crazy how similar our experiences were! Isn't it frustrating to get up once you hear the noise and nothing/no one is ever there? At least your mum had all that stuff happen to her, so she could understand what you were going through!

I am glad that nothing felt bad about the events you experienced. I think Miracles is right about the ghosties just wanting you to know that they existed.

I really enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing!

❤ The other Rachel 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
rjay99 - houses don't necessarily have to have something traumatic happen to have ghostly activity. Sometimes ghosts, for whatever reason (and there are many different reasons as you can read on this site) ghosts linger. Also, the land itself can be the reason for the activity. So the fact that the house was only 3 years old may have nothing at all to do with the activity in your home.

Now 😆, my personal perspective on things LOL. Sometimes I swear our ghosts just like to get out attention and they'll do whatever it takes to get it. And once they get it, they will continue to keep it until you put a stop to it (if you choose to).

From what you've told us in your story, there was nothing harmful, just "hey, I'm here. Hellooooo!" which can be scary when you're caught off guard or you hear them in the middle of the night 😆. I keep nightlights in every room of my house for this very reason. I like my ghosts, actually miss them when they're quiet. But I don't want to be surprised one night in the dark 😉
stephyw2001 (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I left my boyfriend on his own for 1 night (in the past 2 years we've been together, this was the only night he slept with out me). He told me he heard someone typing on the computer (as you mentioned). He went out to check the computer, no one there. He went back to bed. Typing started again. He got freaked out (my boyfriend, the brave protector) and got all fetal position in bed (from what he told me).

Next night, we're lying in bed. We hear keyboard typing. He says "thats it! Do you hear it?" I get up and look around. Our 2 cats were with us in our room as usual, no one was at the computer. I check each room and all was silent until I head back into our room. That's when I heard it again and solved this mystery!

It was our hamster. He dragged food into his wheel which was plastic, and as he turned on the wheel the food got flung around like Bingo balls. It sounded just like a keyboard typing. When got up to look around, the poor neglected little guy got all excited to see people, and ran to the side of his cage to see us. Only when we went back to bed did he start running in the wheel again.

Sooooo... Do you have a hamster? 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: