You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Living With The Afterlife

Real Ghost Stories

Living With The Afterlife

 

I am about to share my life experiences of growing up in a haunted house. I am currently 38 years old, so my memories of some of these stories is hazy but I'll do my best.

My first encounter was when I was 3 or 4 years old. I was in my bed and where my bed was situated I could see all the way down the hallway. I remember looking down the hall and seeing a women in white floating up near the ceiling. All I could see of her was her stomach area to the top of her head. She was dressed in a wedding dress. My Mum said she didn't believe me at first, but I kept telling her about it so she figured I must be telling the truth. As it turns out I identified the entity in a family photo album. It was my maternal Grandfather's mother.

My next sighting was when I was 11 years old. I was in bed (my bed being in a different place in my room now) and I felt a tapping sensation on my foot. I looked to the end of my bed and I could faintly see an outline of a person; no features, just an out line. I crawled to the end of my bed because I thought I was seeing things, then I realised what it was I freaked out and got under the covers rolled up in a ball trying to fit myself under my pillow and blankets.

It took 2 weeks before I could sleep by myself in that room. And after that I couldn't sleep unless I had a thick doona or blanket doubled up over my feet.

In between these sightings, I would hear footsteps go up and down the hallway. At the time I thought it was my parents, until I'd go and check and discovered them asleep in bed.

There was my Mum, Dad, my younger sister and myself living at that house and only my Mum and I experienced anything until my late teen years. When I was Twelve I had another sighting. I was buttering some toast in the kitchen and from the kitchen door you could see down the hallway to my bedroom. I looked up and saw a woman in a blue dress walk down the hallway full view not see through. I thought it was my mum at first, until I realised she was still in bed. Again I froze in terror; still can't remember running from the kitchen to my mums room. That was my last sighting until my late teens.

On the weekend, I'd often wake up to the sounds of what I thought was my dad cooking breakfast as he did every Sunday. I would hear the cupboards opening and closing the sound of saucepans being used, only to go wandering down there to discover nobody in the kitchen and the blind still pulled down. I'd go and watch tv after a while Dad would get up and cook breakfast.

You would also hear the wind chimes in the dining room chime with all windows shut and the airconditioner off. That's about as much as I can tell you for now. I'll save more for another time, as the activity in the house gets worse in my late teens.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by 87calais

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 87calais, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
87calais, thank you for your reply to my question. I can now understand why you reacted the way you did!
87calais (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
Hi Miracles51031, your theory isn't crackpot. I didn't put this in the story because I forgot about it. When I was 14 my cousin died and for a while after you would sometimes smell brut33 aftershave in our house. Neither me or my Dad wore Brut33.I'll submit part 2 of this story soon. Unfortunately it gets darker.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
87calais - I am so glad to read this comment, "I think she showed herself in that wedding dress so I would recognise her in the photo my mum has." I recently said something similar. It was a "crackpot theory" I had that sometimes ghosts choose to appear in clothing so we would be able to recognize them in pictures.

A lot of times we see family members or friends that have passed before we were born and pictures are the only way we have of identifying them.

Looking forward to reading more of your stories.
87calais (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
To bacchaegrl, I think she showed herself in that wedding dress so I would recognise her in the photo my mum has. She was wearing it in the photograph. As for the other apparition in the blue dress I believe it to be the same person as my grandfather saw her at his house as well and identified her as his mum.
To luvparanormal, when I was about 6 inches away from it I realised it was a ghost. Mum and Dad built the house in the 1960's and sold it in 2002. Thankyou both for your comments.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Thanks for sharing your story. It certainly can be scary when it comes to the unknown. I have a question: when you wrote "then I realised what it was I freaked out" what did you realize it was? You did not say. Also is the house still owned by your family?
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Why do you think your great grandmother was in a wedding dress? Is there some significance of that dress in relation to her death? Why do you think she was up near the ceiling? Seems like women like to roam around your house. Do you have any idea who the woman in blue might be? Thanks for sharing your encounters.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: