You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Ashes

Real Ghost Stories

Ashes

 

Before we moved into my house about a year ago, we came one night to put something in the house, and this was before we had carpets and it was wood floors. Well my sister and I went to look in the hallway to see our mothers room, and we looked on the ground and saw about four wet feet print in the dust. Now keep in mind, it wasn't raining, and we had locked all the doors. My sister and I freaked out and told my mom, and she said it might have been one of our neighbors thinking no one owned the house. But my sister and I checked the house, and no one was there, we kept it to ourselves.

Then when we were cleaning the rooms, we found the ashes of the last residents deceased grandmother. My mother didn't want to put her in the trash, so when we were renovating my sister's room, they had to build a wall around the old fireplace opening, and she put the grandmothers ashes in there.

About a month ago, my sister was at my cousin's house, my brother was in his room next to me, and my mother was in my sister's room (because of the air conditioner) and I was in my room. Well around one o'clock in the morning, I woke up because my door creaked open, because I broke the hinges, and I fell asleep thinking it was my mom coming to check on me like she usually does.

Well about 30 minutes later I woke up because someone was sitting on my bed. I looked and saw my sister. Forgetting she was at my cousin's house, I said her name several times, and she never responded, then she went and crawled off my bed onto my floor to lay on the bed I had there for my friends. Then I went back to sleep.

The next morning, my sister wasn't there. I decided to go downstairs, my mom was up, and I sat on the bar stools and she asked me if I came into her room last night. I said no, and asked her about it. She said around midnight she woke up and felt someone come into the room, and watch her sleep. Then I asked her where my sister was, she told me she was still at our cousin's house...

I am now scared to sleep in my room by myself because of what happened. There has been more then just that that has happened in my house, and its followed my siblings and I around to other places. We are not sure what it is, or who, and its harmless, but scary.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FallingInLove19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FallingInLove19 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
OH! And there was many of the film containers in the house. Forgot to mention that in my previous comment. The last owners have not contacted us to get any of their things. My mom wanted to keep the ashes in the house because this is where the lady was born and raised, and died in the house. Also my house was locked with new locks when my sister and I saw the feetprints.
To DeviousAngel- We told her about the footprints at first, but when we didn't find anyone in the house, we decided against telling her because she would make fun of us.
To JarMan-My door happens to be broken, and is HARD to open. Also, its not just my imediate family that has been creeped out, and not known about the things we've seen.
To PiP- Yes, my sister was glowing, I found it very odd.
FallingInLove19 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Alright, I'm sorry I forgot to mention, they moved out without taking any of their stuff, they were hoarders, and they had told my mother about the ashes, and that they didn't know where they were, and what it was in. Which wasn't an urn, but film containers.
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
[at] PIP I saw that too! It was disgusting to say the least. I wonder if that borders on cannibalism?!?

[at] FallInLove, you say well too much and I found your story diffucult to read.

Regardless, I'm with most other people here. How did you know it was someone's grandmother? Where did you get that information from? Has anything else happened since? Has your sister experienced this type of thing too? How did she sleep that night?

Best,
Fanny ❤
louisem3471 (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-03)
fallinginlove,im with devious on this one... How could you possibly know its the ashes of the owners grandmother? That makes no sense unless it was written on the urn! Which is unlikely because you would remember something like that, and you didn't mention it so I'm guessing no! I'm sorry to sound cruel hun, but there's just to many holes in this story...sorry...
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
MM- Ahhhhh I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it! Ugh that was so nasty. She said it tasted like rotten eggs! I'm with zzsgranny- I would eat cigarette ashes over human ashes any day! 😨

Sorry for spammin', too.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Have you considered the theory of astral travel to explain seeing your sister? Maybe she came home while she was sleeping & her astral body was what you saw and your mother heard. Personally I am on the fence on the subject of astral travel but I find the many accounts of this phenomenon interesting & lean towards accepting it as a real possibility. It would not, of course, explain the footprints. I have no suggestions on that one. As for the cremains, I would not assume they are connected to any unexplained events until something directly points to them. Grandma may be happy with her remains where they are or she may have moved on and not even have ever been aware they were left.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Missy: I'd take cigarette ashes over cremains any day! LOL... 😆
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
OH MY GOD PIP I SAW THAT EPISODE OF MY STRANGE ADDICTIONS! IT WAS HORRID! Lol Sorry for the spam but I just had to say it... 😆
I'm not sure what one was worst the lady eating her husbands remains or the woman who ate cigarette ashes... 😜
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
FallingInLove - I forgot something. Private owner's typically wouldn't leave someone's ashes behind either. Just wanted to cover that base too. So, unless whoever it was that left those wet footprints behind, brought the ashes in and left them...well. I guess there's always that theory.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
FallinginLove - I'm with Devious on this one. How do you know the ashes belonged to the former resident's grandmother? So, unless you knew the former residents, how would you know whose ashes they were?

If your mom rented the home, the landlord would have noticed the ashes. If she bought the home, the real estate agent would have seen them. I'm sorry. I'm having a very hard time believing someone moved out, taking everything they owned with the exception of an urn/vase full of grandma's ashes. And neither a landlord nor a real estate agent are going to leave someone's ashes in a home they are trying to rent or sell to someone else. Bad for business.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I must admit that it's kind of strange that the old owners could forget something so important. If you knew the ashes were their grandmother's, does that mean the owners were contacted about the abandoned remains? And if so, why would they not come back to claim them?

I will never look at ashes the same way again after seeing that lady eating her dead husband's ashes on My Strange Addiction. 😐

That's weird about seeing your sister or what seems to be an entity posing as such. Doppelganger-like spirits really intrigue me. It is such a grey area as to what they are. I will never forget what it feels like to see what tried to look like my mom. Ugh. I'm sure it was dark at the time, but did you notice anything about the thing posing as your sister that stood out? Like did anything seem a little off to you?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

PiP
JarMan (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
A door opening on it's own isn't that amazing to be honest. It can happen on it's own, either due to door damage, the house being uneven or several other explanations. I have a door that opens all the time, it's old and has a bad latch on it.

As for waking up and seeing someone, it could have been a dream. Sometimes they are hard to separate. You need to take that into consideration.

As for the ashes, do you know for sure it's actually ashes and that it's actually human remains? Some people actually cremate pets and stuff. Even if it is human remains, that doesn't mean it's THAT person haunting a house. Remains don't always mean spiritual activity. If that was the case, there'd be a lot more sightings at cemeteries.

Why would your Mother choose to keep a stranger's remains in her house? I would have either have attempted to contact the last owners, or given them to a local cemetery. Worst case scenario, I would have buried them at some cross roads outside of town.

I think a lot of the haunting here is just imagination. You've moved into a new house, maybe with someone's remains and it's going to creep you out.

I'm not saying your house might not be haunted, I am saying, try to stay skeptical and don't jump to any conclusions. That's the worst thing you can do, it'll just make living there harder for you.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I have a couple of questions...

For one, if you told your mother about the foot prints, how did you keep it to yourself, too?

Secondly, how did you know that the urn you found contained the ashes of the previous residents' grandmother? It could have been anyone's ashes. Where did you find that out from?
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Sadly missy, ashes being thrown away is actually common. In many cases, the urn is kept in the family for generations, until someone comes across it who either doesn't know its an urn, or doesn't remember who's ashes it was! This is why I want to be scattered 😜
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Okay... Wait... Someone actually thought about throwing some poor old ladies ashes in the garbage...!?! OMG! But instead you built the ashes into the fireplace wall!?! Why!?! Why wouldn't you try to contact the family that previously lived there and tell them they forgot poor ol' grandma!?! Or maybe your mother did that and couldn't get in touch with them so then you could have buried her somewhere respectful and proper or contacted the city so that they could have the ashes buried... I don't know I'm just saying... Lol 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: