You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Tall Dark Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

Tall Dark Shadow

 

I was on vacation wit my family for my cousins sweet 15. One night there was a thunder and lighting storm and in the tropics lighting is very bright and can be seen every direction. So this one night I was getting ready to go to bed. I said good night to my sister and headed to the room. Once I got to the room, it seemed darker then usual because by that time my eyes would get used to the darkness. I started getting this uneasy feeling. My mothers bed was next to the two tall windows.

So I had this sudden urge to look around the room and when I finally did I saw the tall dark black shadow. It was about 7 to 8 feet tall. All I could make out of it was the shoulders, and head it looked like it was wearing a long black jacket. I knew I saw it because the lighting shined through one window and not the one that it was standing in front of. I didn't know what this meant but I was so scared that I made my mom hold my hand all night and didn't want to stay there any longer.

For the remainder of the time, I stayed at my aunt's house. I couldn't wait to leave. I just really want to know what this means. This wasn't the first time I had experienced something at my grandmother's house. I have experienced so much more but this was the first time I actually saw something so scary.

The next day I told my grandmother what had happened the night before and she had no explanation and neither did my mother. They both said that I shouldn't be scared and I had nothing to be afraid of because they where going to be there for me. Please help.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kathy1432, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Szaffi (37 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Is hard to decide. As Miracle said, it could be that your mind has plaid with you, or the curtains/the items you had in the room plaid around with you even with a streetlamp shining into your room or just being in complete dark. But when having a thunderstorm, the shadows your items/furniture in the room have, can be even trickier. I'm not saying that it was not a shadow person, but telling you only, that it could have been just the lightning playing with you and the thunderstorm making it even spookier. Can't be sure of which one it was.
maz1029 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
I'm not so sure things like that are safe because my son got touched by something like that. It left a burn mark and the next day you ciould see a bruise. That s not the first encounters we have had around our place. Soon I will start to post some short stories. We have caught things on digital cameras and just this past weekend we used a camcorder with tape recorder but still searching to see if we found anything. We also used a tool to measure changes in tempertures. We have been dealing with things for two years and trying to get answers. Our landlord will only say he ll tell us when we move and he will not go past a certain part of his property after dark.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
kathy1432 - sometimes our minds can play tricks on us and being in a different place doesn't help. Thunder and lightning might have produced shadows from outside, say a building or a tree, that made it appear as if there was someone standing inside your room. I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm just offering you another alternative.

My little boy was scared one night because he was seeing something in his bedroom. I went and laid down with him and helped him identify everything in his room and how it was creating shadows. It's amazing how a curtain can create a different shadow at night or a book. Even a chair with a coat rack directly above it creates one scary shadow person, until you realize that is what is making the shadows.

Like I said, this may not be what happened to you, just another option. If it was a shadow person, most of the time they're harmless. At least the ones my kids and I've encountered.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
kathy1432,
I agree with Indigo here. Also Kathy, sightings of these shadow people are some of the most common on record it seems. At least as far as the description you gave goes. We have had a few reported as short, a couple as short and fat, but most have reported them as very tall, many times wearing the long jacket, and many times wearing a wide brimmed hat.
There are lots of theories about them, but mostly they leave people alone and are gone quickly once noticed.

Jav
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Kathy,

Indigo is spot on. I don't think there is a definitive answer for anything paranormal, but I agree that you shouldn't be too worried. I know it's easier said than done, especially if this was your first experience; but I have seen a shadow figure and it was not a negative feeling. Indigo is right that a lot of people see shadow people.

Take care and I wish you all the very best!

❤ Pretty
Indigo (263 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Kathy, we'd all like to know what things like this "mean" when they happen to us. Unfortunately, though, we never have a solid answer. Your experience with the shadow person is a very common occurrence, and usually only "means" that you could see it. As there are, or were, more than one teenager in the home, the shadow person was probably just 'plugging in' and using your energies to recharge itself. They seem to enjoy sucking energy or what I call 'feeding'. They usually never interact (rarely touching etc) so I personally don't feel that it meant you any harm. Since you saw the one, have you had any other experiences? If you have, you may wish to focus on honing your skills in this area.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: