You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Scent Of A... Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Scent Of A... Ghost?

 

I don't know when I actually started smelling ghosts. I do remember, when I was a kid, I would smell all kinds of things that no one else did. Onions cooking, flowers in the dead of winter, unfamiliar perfumes (my mother never used perfume, allergy), and sometimes I'd wake in the middle of the night smelling apple pie! All these scents, and others, my young mind passed off as imagination, since I was told that's what was happening.

As I grew older, my interest in the paranormal grew, also. I discovered that I wasn't alone in smelling these "phantom" scents. The term for this type of mediumship is Clairalience. I would like to recount some of my most recent experiences with this gift.

While living in the house where my Christmas ghosties story began, I would often get a whiff of an open fire; that earthy, campfire sort of scent. Even in the summer, when here in the Mojave you'd be insane to even light your phony gas fireplace, and open burning is prohibited due the drought. When we moved to the house where the Christmas ghost story continues, on several occasions, I smelled the scent of what I can only describe as burnt roses, like a rose candle that had been snuffed.

This year, on my Dad's birthday, Father's Day, and the anniversary of his passing, I got the very distinct smell of Old Spice, his choice of aftershave. My husband doesn't use Old Spice, and we didn't have any visitors on those occasions.

In February or March (I know Miracles! I can see your finger wagging LOL) I began to be awakened by the scent of what I thought was cherry blossoms. This continued for a couple of weeks. It was plenty of time for me to check out the neighborhood to see if I could discover the source, but it was too early in the year for blossoms or flowers of any sort to be blooming. I would wake to the scent and start sniffing everything: my husband, my pajamas, the sheets and blankets, the dog, myself (including my arm pits haha) . Then I'd get up and start my nightly trek around the house; sometimes on my hands and knees, sniffing the carpet!

Then one night I'd stayed up fairly late because I was off the next day. Here's a copy of a post in a discussion group on facebook the next morning: "So I stayed up last night WAAAAYYY beyond my normal bed time... I was lying on my stomach, right hand tucked under me, left arm above my head, facing left... As I dosed off the clock read 2:07 am... We live in a gated community of old people, so we had some of the windows open... A few minutes later, I heard a couple of men outside laughing and talking, and what sounded to me like a very small dog barking... So I got up to investigate... My Chihuahua got up with me, and as I watched him, trying not to stumble over him, I noticed a bunch of little black blobs about the same size as him, running and playing with him... I was still hearing the men outside, and was feeling very groggy, stumbling and avoiding the blobs (thinking to myself 'wow, shadow puppies' LOL) and my dog frolicking around my feet and down the hall... I made my way to the living room where there were all kinds of little blobs jumping all over the furniture and running around and generally wreaking havoc, so I yelled, "How the hell many of you are there?"...And suddenly, out of nowhere I felt a bang against my stomach, like a small child slamming into me and wrapping their arms around my waist... I looked down to see the top of a child's head, their face buried in the pit of my left elbow as I hugged, and stroked the their hair with my right hand..."who are you? Who ARE you?"...A muffled name like "roshan"..."Roxanne?" I asked... As the name left my lips, I opened my eyes, and I was in bed, in the same position as I described above... I looked at the clock: 2:16..." One detail that I'd thought was insignificant at the time was that as I entered the living room, to my left was a large bush that I batted away, before I yelled at the puppies.

The thing about this experience is, I felt the impact, felt her hair, her breath on my arm, her arms squeezing me, etc. The next day, I did some research on a name I associated with "Roxanne". I don't want to go into detail, as I feel I shouldn't reveal the exact name out of respect to the child and her family. Suffice it to say, that this child had been abducted, raped and murdered by a "friend" of her family's; lured away from the comfort of her bed with the promise that she could play with his puppy, which she adored, as her father was passed out drunk on the couch, and her mother was out at the movies for the evening. Her body was found in a scrubby area, beneath a blackberry bush, covered with dead blackberry brambles. I feel was smelling blackberry blossoms.

The most recent event happened about two weeks ago. I was in my bathroom cutting my hair. I started smelling a foul odor, so I turned the exhaust fan on. It didn't help, and the odor continued to worsen, to the point where I was gagging, and lasted for at least two to three hours. Now, understand that bad smells don't bother me. I'm married with children, after all!

My son and daughter came over, and we went to the store. After we got home, I went back into the bathroom to color my hair (the smell had disappeared by this time). My husband and son went somewhere, and he then took my son home.

When he returned, he discovered the door to the hot water heater wide open (it has a slide bar lock) and the pilot light was out. We live in a manufactured home, similar to a mobile home, so the hot water and heat pump have their own 'closets' on the outside of the home.

There was no one working on the gas lines, no one had 'used' the other bathroom, trash had been picked up earlier in the morning, no drain cleaner had been used in the drains; and there wasn't any wind to speak of that day that was strong enough to open the locked door and blow out the pilot. My dogs slept soundly through it all, so if a person had done it, they would have alerted.

If this was, as many would believe, an evil entity or demon, I think they didn't stick around because I was more curious than scared. In fact, I had no sense of fear, whatsoever. I found it very odd, and interesting. LOL!

Other hauntings by zzsgranny

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zzsgranny, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-10)
Got your comment I thought it was related it said attack while asleep so I was just putting what I experienced last night or early morning I think it was a dream but not sure I can't submit it because its less than 1500 characters I want to know if I am crazy or not that's why I put it down.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Thank you Miracles, I agree, but sometimes it is difficult to determine, which is which. I have noticed that a lot more things happen when Shenay is around. That may be, because she is a child... Or more specifically... Because she is Angel's child? 😕
Anyway, keeping a journal helps to keep track of dates etc. As points of reference. Shadows, touches and smells have a knack of being forgotten, if not recorded.

Thank you Miracles, for always harping on keeping a journal... I am your disciple! 😉
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Speaking of journals. Fergie! Welcome to the club! So glad you made it 😉

Seriously, though, I'm glad you are keeping a journal, especially now. You may find it a place of solace, as well as helping to determine what may be signs from Angel and what might just be other "non-Angel" things. ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
granny - I'm sitting here wondering why monkeylemur's father would choose such an "ugh" smell for you to remember him by and can't help but 😆. Guaranteed to get your attention though, huh? Did you by any chance call him a sh*t when he was living 😉

Oh yeah, did you copy/paste this in your journal? LMAO!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
Thank you granny, for the up-date; was that a warning of sorts, or just a mischievous "Hello, I'm back"?

On Saturday, 15th September, just as I got into bed, (yes, I keep a journal now, lol) I got a pungent whiff of burning hair. The smell only lasted a few seconds... Thank goodness. I had some very morbid thoughts after that, though! 😕
I have been getting a lot of interesting smells and scents lately!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-09-25)
I've been meaning to add this update for a while, so here it is 😆...

The really nasty smell came back, on September 7th... That day is significant to me, because it is the official date of death of my daughter's father... 30 years ago... But anyway, I said to whoever was causing it, "Now really! We just put in a new thermocouple, so what is it now?" 😆...

Well, the next morning as I took the dog out to pee, I heard water running as I opened the door... Sounded like it was raining, but it wasn't...It was my water heater! LOL... We have a brand spankin' new one now, so I'm curious if my "water heater ghostie" will ever come back! 😊
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Granny: I also remember telling you that I would check out this story. I read this story before, I guess my memory works when it wants to. I understand where your coming from a lot better when it comes to the scents of spirits. I enjoyed the story like I did the last time. Your closing statement was funny, your almost as looney as I am 😆.

Thank you for sharing 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
Virtualboy: You're welcome!...One thing you want to do when you smell stuff is try to find the source... If there isn't one, try to describe the scent as best you can, then document it in a journal...It's something I should be doing, so I won't get on your case if you don't 😆, but it is a great idea...
virtualboy (1 stories) (18 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
I've always smelled things others didn't. I never thought anything of it until now, just figured my nose was weird. Thank you for writing this, I'll pay more attention now.:)
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
I can definitely identify with some of the scents.

And I'd like to add my thanks, too!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Jave and aya: Wow, I'm truely touched ❤...Thank you for that, nice to know that some appreciate what I attempt to do here...I'm kind'a choked up and don't know what to say LOL...

Happy New Year to you both, and I hope we're all here this time next year... 😊 ❤
aya22 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
I don't think anyone can say it better than Javelina just did! But I will try to add in my two cents as well. Granny, thanks for putting up with all of us crazies (yes, including me). You always find a way to put things into perspective and keep things lighthearted when the comments start a-flyin. You've given me a lot to think about. Enjoy your New Year's! 😁

From what I can see, you've earned it! ❤

New Year's resolutions, anybody?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
zzgranny,
Since this year is ending I want to take this opportunity to say a personal "Thank You" to you for all you do here. My hats off to you lady! You stepped up when you were asked, have never complained (no matter how bad I got), and you have always been fair and consistent. With all that you do, and I'm sure there has to be some crazy juggling act involved when the crap hits the fan around here, you still manage to make us laugh, smile, and mostly just calm down.

So today I lift my glass and drink a toast to you zzgranny! 😁

Thank you lady, I mean it.

Jav 😊 ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
TID: I really believe that's exactly what it was, coupled with a visit from Roxanne...
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
The "puppies' incident sounds like it could have been an OOBE.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
InnerMomentas: Yeah, it wasn't too bad... Since it is outside and it's still fairly warm here, the water was tepid... But I think I may have set a new world's record for showering 😆 😆
InnerMomentas (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
I kind of wondered if it was the thermocouple. The dream must have been a warning then. You have a strong testimony.

I know what you mean about cold showers. But it can't be that bad. I read a while back that a lot of air bases during WW2 did not have indoor facilities. I can't imagine taking a shower in cold weather. I think I'd rather stink up the barracks lol. And many of them did just that. Interesting things history has to tell.

Thanks for the update!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
InnerMomentas: Just to update: Guess what took a crap?...The thermocouple on the hot water heater LOL 😆...Shouldn't be laughing because now I have to take a cold shower in the morning 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
InnerMomentas: No worries 😊, I'm happy to see the interest in this post...I'm in the process of trying to figure a few things out with another poster; if we can come to a semi-crackpot theory, I'll be sure to post any update...

I'm pretty sure the three are connected somehow, but you know, I don't want to be one of those people who grab the first possibility and cling to it...

I certainly hope her visit wasn't a warning, and if it was, that it was to tell me to get a new hot water heater LOL 😆...
InnerMomentas (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
I know this is like my fourth post on here and I don't mean to come across as a know it all. I just want someone to share my thoughts with. It's hard to keep all that I do to myself all the time. An imaginary friend can only go so far.

Anyways, I thought about something the other day that I can't keep to myself. Do you think the child in your dream was trying to warn you of an approaching disaster. Some Ghosts from what I've heard will come back to protect the living so that they don't experience what they did. That kind of goes against my current line of reasoning but I'd sure like to know if the dream, water heater, and the smells are connected. That would be very significant to me if they were.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
InnerMomentas: Thank you for doing all the research... I will definately have the thermocouple checked out to be on the safe side...However, this smell was much worse than the smell they add to natural gas...I'm one of those people who like the smell of natural gas and gasoline LOL... Sick I know 😆...

I see from your profile that you're from Ohio, and in your mid-thirties...I don't know if you're old enough to remember how nasty a coke plant smells, the steel mills may have closed or switched over before your memory of them... But I know the "egg water" you're refering to, as my Grandma had that crap in her house...Honestly, the whole house smelled of rotten eggs when you ran water or flushed the toilet... It is a by-product of so many years of pollution from a nearby coke plant... We don't have well water, we get it from the Southern Nevada Water District... Lake Mead...Still, I don't drink from the spigot 😆

Also, I remember when I lived in Ashtabula, in the summer, if there hadn't been enough rain, the algae would accumulate in Lake Erie, and cause the water to taste and smell yucky...

But, all of these odors I would easily recognise, having lived with them for so many years...Now, we do live in a park for retired folks... I don't think anyone's going to mess with anyone elses property, but you never know... I have been paying close attention when my hubby leaves, we only have the one vehicle so people may think that no one's home...

Again, thank you for all your hard work...Oh, and I read your story, but it seems you've managed to find the answers without me 😆...I'll be sure to comment soon though...
InnerMomentas (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Hello it's Momentas again. A day off finally... Hopefully. I never know what my darn schedules going to be like. I guess that's the downside to being a rover.

Anyways I goggled some stuff out on hot water tanks. There are a couple things that might explain what you experienced. My first guess is that maybe you had a worn out thermocouple and gas was released into your home. Natural gas has no odor, but propane on the other hand smells pretty much like you described. However a worn out thermocouple is unlikely because the smell would have become worse rather than dissipating as it did. The odor would have covered your entire home, and your husband would most likely have noticed the bad thermocouple. You may however want to have the thermocouple looked at. Do you live in a neighborhood setting? Could someone have unknowingly tampered with the thermocouple? I mean it's outside.

A more likely possibility is that you have hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) is in your water. It usually smells like rotten eggs. (Hs2) can come from a number of sources including the hot water tank. The warm environment in the water heater can promote it to grow. Or chemical reactions between the sulfate in your water and the water heater anode. The water heater anode reduces corrosion the water heater tank. The process by which it does this can convert sulfide hydrogen gas. It could also be caused by pollution.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to flush the water heater out with a chlorine bleach solution or increase the temperature of the water heater to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Hope this helps 😊 I'd have that thermocouple checked though.

Did you ever remember hearing anything about the history of the house before you had the dream? It's interesting that you knew the name of a child that had been killed there. That child is absolutely in the presence of angels right now. I definitely would not rule out that you had a paranormal experience there because lucid dreams are one of God's way of communicating to us. I don't know if I'd be correct to call it a paranormal experience though. I should rather call it a divine gift as you have said. I am a bit leery of psychics and or mediums, but I'm not entirely closed off to it either. I'm more concerned about how it is used. The motives behind it.
InnerMomentas (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Hey Granny. It's been a busy work week. Been hard to find the time to respond to everything. I justed posted an experience of mine that I call 'Hospital Ghosts' and that about all I have had time to respond too. I'd love to hear your comments regarding my experience.

I'm not really sure I agree that it takes from an hour to an hour 1/2 for one to fall into a dream state. When someone else is driving, the motion of the car and the hot sun beating down on me can put me out into a dream almost immediately. And these are short trips. About 1/2 hr. Long if that. However, depending on how one enters the various stages of REM sleep, it could take longer for one to enter the dream state.

The water heater though. That's a mystery. Still trying bat around on that one lol. 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
ahhh granny about time (ok I'm a few days behind)
A wonderful post again from you thanks for sharing 😊

Glad to hear the sick f is on death row, no one should be able get away with hurting a child.
I like the bit where you said the room was full of shadow puppies just before getting the hug, would like to think they were there for the little girl.
And have to agree could have been obe like you say no way enough time to be dreaming.

Old spice! Now that does bring back memories of years long past, as a kid everyone wore old spice (well a lot of guys anyway) I'm glad your dad is still popping by on speical occasions

As for the fowl smell your description was enough to make anyone gag lol sorry you had to smell someting so nasty!
Loved the whole thing, faving it
Carl ❤
P.s personaly I don't "fart" have been accused of "tooting" and it being like a rotting cabbage~might add that story to the new group though 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Granny, actually I am glad you did email me... I was going to email you about something too, a little journal entry of mine that I found from a few months back. Possible coincidence!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Aussie: My husband blames his smells on whoever is closest LOL, but he's never blamed it on the ghosties 😆...Yeah, I'm leaning toward an OBE, simply because I wasn't deep enough into sleep to be dreaming...

Cosmo: I don't know how you missed it!...But if I recall, you may have been on vacation?...Anyway, now you know!...Thanks for the fave ❤...We'll talk more later...

D/A: I had never met this child and she wasn't even from this area... That is one of the things that puzzle me so much... I think you're right about Violet visiting to say hello, how sweet!...By the way, I shot you an e-mail, hope you don't mind...

Missy: LMAO!...Giggles are great!

Geetha: Imagine being stuck in an elevator with my hubby and two sons!...Talk about yuck!...

I just did another google search, and found a few things I'd missed 😲...I was wrong when I stated that the killer was on death row; his sentence was overturned pending another sentancing trial because "County prosecutors shouldn't have divulged details of one of [his] past offenses during his sentencing hearing."...While he was awaiting his new sentencing trial, he confessed to the crime to avoid the death penalty...

She was found about a week after her abduction on 3/31/1995...

Thanks to all for reading and commenting!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Yeah! Another Granny story!
The story about the little girl broke my heart. I don't know if I suppose to or can say this but people like those who hurt the girl will pay in hell... Sorry got a little emotional...

About the thread going about the farting smell and dogs /cats...imagine getting stuck in an elevator when a pit bull farts... Lord only knows what the owner was feeding it...ewwwww!

Granny, this is going in my favourites... You put out another concept in this paranormal world to think about.

Just a question for you about the little girl incident... You might have answered it so I apologize if you did... When you experienced this event... Did the police find the body of the girl and/or was it an ongoing investigation?
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
On occasion I distinctly smell the scent of a arsehole... But then I turn around and it's always my husband being a dink... (joke) 😆 guess I don't have the gift of clairalience but I think I definitely have the giggles this afternoon.

Very good story 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Thank you granny for sharing this one. I especially liked your description of how you were looking around for the scent like a bloodhound lol. I think that would have been a funny sight and I probably would have been doing the same thing. I can only remember once or twice that I smelled something out of place and could not find a reasonable explanation for it. Once, I was at home and I smelled rose perfume. I and no one else at my house wears rose perfume and we do not have any rose bushes in the area. When I smelled it, I remembered that when I was little my grandma used to take care of a sick elderly woman named Violet, and I would go over with her and help out where I could. Before she passed away, as her way of saying thank you she gave me a little glass bottle of her rose perfume. I have had it stored away for years and have not used it, so I think that was her way of saying hello. I had checked the bottle just to be sure and the cap was screwed on tight.

My favorite description in this experience was the very real way that you described Roxanne coming to you. Now this name, was it something that you had heard before which made you look it up? Was it someone that lived on the property where you live now, or just in the area?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Aussie and Cosmo: Unfortunately I have to go win some bread, but I'll be back to address your comments later ❤ ❤

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: