You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Unexplainable Ability

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplainable Ability

 

Is it possible that some people have an influence on their environment? Although most of my brushes with the paranormal made me assume that it was a separate entity that was haunting me, I've recently reconsidered this.

To elaborate, one major event completely flipped my perception. One night, my boyfriend and I weren't getting along. I was even considering breaking it off with him because he was being really insensitive. I wanted him to understand me and to be able to know what I was thinking. I then went off to the bathroom to wash my face and just cool off. I lay down on the twin bed on the other side of the room since I didn't want to sleep by him. My brain was on overdrive from the stress and I was imagining countless scenarios and conversations. I began hearing him mutter "shut up, shut up" so I began getting confused but I ignored it. He then started saying it louder and louder. I was beginning to worry so I got up and asked him why he was saying that but he seemed not to hear me. I turned on the light and saw him curled up in the corner, hands over his ears. I walked over and sat right next to him asking what was wrong when he started yelling and begging for "it to stop." I started to panic. I pried his hands off his ears and wished and prayed that whatever was hurting him would stop. He then started to calm down. After a while of having his head in my lap, he had completely calmed down so I asked him what happened.

He asked me why I wouldn't stop talking earlier. I was utterly confused. All I could say was, "what?" He then proceeded to tell me that when I left for the bathroom, I was muttering something and the rest of the time when I was in the room, I wouldn't stop talking. He told me that he wanted to pull his ears off because it got so loud.

This was when it dawned on me that before I left for the bathroom, I expressly wished for him to know what I was thinking. At first, I rejected the idea that I was responsible because it seemed ridiculous. After a while of thinking about it more, it started to make sense. My boyfriend had said I was "muttering" when I was in the bathroom and "talking" when I was in the room and "unbearably loud" when I was right above him. I then started to think about my past experiences. I used to hear footsteps around my bed at night when I was younger so I thought these experiences can't be my fault but then I remembered being afraid of the dark since my mother would make me watch countless scary movies with her and how when I was extremely frightened, I wanted my parents to walk into the room to check on me. After that, I remember how I sort of wanted things to keep on happening because nobody believed me and I didn't want to believe that I was crazy and how when these things happened, it was during times when I was extremely paranoid. I began to rethink everything that happened to me from the time the light in the bathroom turned off on me when I saw a spider from the time that I was taking a shower and needed conditioner when the conditioner fell onto the shower floor behind me.

As I thought about it more and more, I began connecting events to what I was thinking/feeling/needing at the time. For example: when the light turned off on me, I remember thinking that I didn't want to see this spider (I have arachnophobia). I've tried to do things "on purpose" but I never can. Is it even possible for someone to have this ability? It fascinates me but terrifies me at the same time. I'm even considering asking a professional for answers but I'm kind of worried that I'll end up as a sort of "science experiment."

Other hauntings by curious123

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curious123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-07-06)
My guess is she meant "know what I mean" when she said "know what I'm thinking." She isn't expecting telepathy but understanding when she speaks or acts. When folks have been around one another for some time, there is a certain expectation of understanding that passes between them as so much exposure to one another ought to have given them insight into where that person is "coming from"; ie some of what informs their perspective. In it's simplest form consider when you see a certain look on a friend's face -the look you know they make when they are worried or get a big idea etc- you "know what they are thinking" because you know them well but it isn't telepathy it's awareness, empathy, familiarity etc... All reasonable expectations in a healthy relationship.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
4 years ago (2020-07-06)
FART-EXTERMINATOR, that is what you got out of her submission? Did you read the entire account or did you just stop at that point? I can empathize with curious123; however, I agree with LeaLeigh. As a woman there is no way I would want a man to know what I'm thinking. I don't think anyone would want someone to know what they are thinking all the time.

Since this story is almost 10 years old, you may not get a response to your comment so I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe curious didn't mean it literally. Maybe she meant she feels like boyfriend doesn't listen to her, especially if she has to tell him something more than once. It could have been a figurative wish rather than literally meaning she wanted him to know what she is thinking 24/7.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-07-05)
Hello FART-EXTERMINATOR,

I usually enjoy reading most of your comments on this site; but, alas, I have found an exception with your last one:

"this is a highly irrational expectation all women have of men."

I do not ever expect anyone to know what I'm thinking, whatever their gender or age. In fact, I would like to think that no one knows what I'm thinking without the benefit of asking me. Woman, though I am, I am great at communication with clear vernacular. I really would hate being around someone who could actually read my mind.

I agree with you: if anyone expects telepathy from another person, they are being unreasonable.

- Maria
FART-EXTERMINATOR (24 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-07-05)
In your account of your 'unusual experiences' you stated that you wanted your boyfriend to know what you were thinking?; this is a highly irrational expectation all women have of men, therefore the problem lies with you not your boyfriend; your expectation of wanting him to know what you're thinking is also CHILDISH.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Curious, I'm not a mod so I can't say for sure. But I think you should definitely try to post the story there! Its the link at the top that says "psychics & mediums". Granted, lately its been kind of a drag there. That's why I'm spending more time on this site. But there are people that are on that site (or both sites) that can help.
Telepathy is when you can "read minds" or "send/receive messages" within your head to/from other's heads.
Telekinesis is when you move stuff with your mind.
curious123 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Logan: No idea what it is either. Telepathy? Telekinesis? I don't know because it always manifests in different ways so I'm confused as well. Also, I feel like a total freak because I might have like a melting pot of abilities that I have no control over.

DeviousAngel: I was already halfway out of the bathroom when the lights turned off. Besides, it's not like I can control my subconscious nor think rationally when I'm terrified? It could be just a series of coincidences but I seriously don't believe that many coincidences could occur and only when I'm emotionally unstable or stressed out.

Stephy, Ngute, and Javelina: Thanks guys, I've never even heard of this site before. Are they connected to this site and if so, do you think they'd care if I just copied and pasted this stuff and submit it to the psychic site instead?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
curious123,
I have to agree with stephyw2001. This account of what you've experienced will be much better served on the Psychic Exp. Site. You will be around those accustomed to dealing with this type of phenomenon.
The link is at the top of this page where it reads "Psychics & Mediums". At least check the place out.

Jav 😊
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
I think it is totally possible that you influenced these things. Like I have said before, there is no definite answer when dealing with the paranormal. We always have to keep an open mind and be willing to learn. I would just go with my gut on this one if I were you. Thank you for sharing.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Curious123, haven't I seen you on the psychic-experience page? This seems like a story that would be more suited for that site, I'm sure more people could help you there. 😊 Telepathy is the closest ability I can think of to what you're describing.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
I was recently watching a show on TV about kids with paranormal abilities. One teenager had empathatic abilities, meaning he could sense what others were feeling, including spirits. Now, shows like this always intrigue both my interest and skepticism. But I was thinking, if it's possible for someone to feel and be influenced by what others are feeling (he could feel pain brought on by his mother's multiple sclerosis) then maybe, just maybe, it's possible for someone to feel and influence others around them.
Certain abilities may flare up with emotions and may not be easily controlled, which is why you can't just 'turn it on'. Seeking professional help may not be such a bad thing, although I share your concern with being 'put to the test', so to speak. Do a little research, see if there is any mention of abilities like this. What you would want to do first, I'm sure, is find out if this sort of thing can be controlled.
I wish you luck and please give us follow-up on how you're doing.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
The experiences which you described that took place prior to the one with your boyfriend, those could all have very well been coincidental. For one thing, I would not be very happy about the light shutting off while I was in the room with a spider. Whether or not I wanted to see it, it would still be there and it would have better chances of getting to me before I could get to it while I cannot see. Stuff falls in the shower all the time because things develop a wet film from the water and soap. It would be the same as a cup randomly sliding across a flat surface. The condensation creates a buffer between the object and the surface.

Now the thing with your boyfriend, was he asleep or on the verge of sleeping? Because his hearing you muttering over and over may have been an aural hallucination brought on by fatigue or being disturbed by environmental noise during the transitionary period between awake and asleep.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

However,I am a bit confused... You will have to excuse me if I ask you to explain what ability is it that you think you possess? I read your story... And I re read it again for about three times but could not figure out.

It might just be me... But I would like to know what ability you think you have?

Regards,
Logan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: