You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Minor But Unexplained Occurrences

Real Ghost Stories

Minor But Unexplained Occurrences

 

Since the 'hauntings' that my family and I have experienced over the years are minor in nature, I've decided to compile just a few to avoid multiple, very short stories.

First, I want to share what my mother described to me while she was living in the family home in northern New Jersey. She was alone at the time except for a few of the family cats wandering around the house. My Nana, her mother, kept a small bronze dinner bell that she would often ring so that the kids knew dinner was ready. The bell was kept on a shelf in the kitchen and my mother was in her bedroom down the hall. I asked her if what happened next could have been a result of one of the cats jumping onto the counter, but my mother said this wasn't the case. The bell rang and, according to her, not the kind of ring it might make if it was knocked over. It was as if someone had picked it up and rang it. My mother jumped up and shut her bedroom door and didn't open it until my Nana got home. She also told me that, at one point, an old wooden clock that her father hung in the basement stopped working one day and, a while later suddenly began working again. It was an old clockwork piece, not the kind that you could replace with a battery, so I don't know if that mystery simply lay in the mechanics.

Fast forward years into the future at my parent's current house where I grew up. I'd often see peripheral shadows in the hallways under dim lighting, but always attributed that to eye tricks. While reading in bed one night, using a crane-neck lamp above my headboard, my shell lamp sitting on the night stand at the end of my bed turned on by itself. There was no timer attached to it, but I thought nothing of it and turned it off again. On a different night I was in bed trying to sleep and had one of my legs pressed against the wall from under the sheets. Something stirred that woke me up and I lay there, waiting to see if it would happen again. It felt like something was running across the top of my leg; a sensation similar to that of someone taking their fingers and twiddling them rapidly against your skin. I jumped out of bed and turned on the light. My first impression was that it was a mouse, but I found no markings, no droppings, and was puzzled as to how a mouse could turn up in my bedroom on the second floor. Unless it squeezed under my door.

One night, my sister explained to me that as she was sitting on the couch in the family room the wooden blinds on the window directly opposite from her were brushed forward suddenly, as if someone had put their hand behind it and pushed.

She and I became immediately interested in the possibility that our house could be haunted after that and we took out (I know it's bad now) an Ouija board. The two of us used it and asked basic questions, during the middle of the day. We got yes and no answers and, from what I remember, it was a woman who 'spoke' to us. When we asked her to spell her name, the influence seemed to wear off and we were left with an immovable marker. I'm still sceptical to this day about the answers we got, but perhaps the spirit didn't feel like talking any more. Nothing, I might add, bad or paranormal happened after our Ouija board session.

Other hauntings by BlueTurtle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BlueTurtle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

michaelsaladfingers (34 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
ive similar expierences, like thouija, the lamp, but not the bed thing. That is very strange. I haven't heard of one doing that. Maybe its a male, or was trying to play with you.
mojacko15 (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
man...don't mean to "disrespect" anyone, just trying to figureout or help... But what iv'e said, spirits have thier own special way on communicatig with us,"scents,sounds,voices,dreams and a lot more... On my accounts, quija is not the way, it attracks spirits, so if you have couple on your house don't bring more...lol...peace everyone... ❤
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
I don't know why mojacko15 got such negative responses in the first place, but they certainly weren't from me. I agree that their statements were well rounded and honest.
At Darkness - I'm not really sure what, if anything, significant happened around that time, but I could ask her. It would be interesting to see if someone in the family had passed around that time. Her grandmother was still alive, and her grandfather passed away before she was even born, so unless it was an aunt or uncle that had recently passed, I can't say for sure.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
[at] Mountaineer,
I've just put him in the plus category. And I also agree with you. As DARKNESS said "Well done". And thanks for bringing to our attention. I really don't care for that kind of treatment. It's mean spirited and not conducive to a helpful atmosphere.

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Well mojacko15 is back on level playing field now Mountaineer, well done I agree with you. 😊

BlueTurtle: There is a possibility it is paranormal related the clock thing I wouldn't look to much into though. The bell ringing is intriguing as mojacko15 mentioned this could have signified something in particular, would your mum have any idea if anything occured around that time? Anniversary,death, birthday etc?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Hahaha Mountaineer for your age you're not only well spoken, but hilarious! You'll go far in life! Keep it up! 😆
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
I don't think that mojacko15 deserved all that negative karma. I can only lift that karma by one point myself, so I can't do much about it. However I would like to point out that he made a valid point, asked valid questions, and was not disrespectful in any way. Thus, I don't think he has met any of the criteria for being bad-karma-worthy. I come from a superstitious southern community where things like ouija boards and seances are taboo, so I can relate to his comment about there being negative energy associated with a ouija board. In my opinion, using a ouija board and then asking for help with violent results is similar to inviting a crowd of ex-cons over for a party and being shocked when they rob you.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
To mojacko15 - I don't remember the exact date that the incident with the bell happened. My mother was a teenager and I only heard about it when she told me sometime in my youth.
As far as the Ouija board goes... We simply happened to have one in the house and my sister and I were curious to use it. Like I said... I don't know if it was really a spirit or if it was our excitement that moved the piece. And nothing ever happened after that. The board was probably so old it lost its touch.
mojacko15 (19 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Ouija board brings lot of negative energy that attracks negative spirits, or spirits only... (lol) I've heared lot of stories that after the quija incedent, the happenings become worst, (not to scare you more) but why the quija? Whre not even sure if that's the actual ghost who answered your quetion... But do you still remember the exact date when the bell rung? Because sometimes are love ones who have passed, reminds us some missed occasions... Thast why they give sometimes some eerie but effective way to remind us.lol...it happened to my friend also somehow, he smelled a perfume of his father... But he's dad haven't passed, but the perfume is way too classic to be worn by our classmate (happened in our class room) but it last only for a minute and it's gone... When he ask his father that same day... He finds out it was his grand fathers wedding aniversary, and he's father loves that perfume because of his late father...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: