You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Frightening Shadow Man At My Bed

Real Ghost Stories

Frightening Shadow Man At My Bed

 

One night, a few weeks ago, I got up in the middle of the night (around 3 AM) to use the bathroom. Then I came back into my bedroom and shut the door (I usually keep the door open when I go to bed because I always get an eerie feeling in there at night, like I'm not alone). Since I was going to be getting up in a few hours, I figured I would be fine.

So I got back into my bed and lay down (I was lying near the edge of my bed, and was facing the bedroom, not the wall)... And probably about 45 seconds after I closed my eyes, all of a sudden I got that hair-standing-on-end feeling like there was a presence in the room. As SOON as I acknowledged that feeling, this IMMEDIATELY happened:

I started to hear this humming sound. Not an electrical hum. I heard a man humming-- not humming like a song or anything like that-- but just a very deep, low, kind of throaty, constant, steady tone. "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..." like that. Now, my bed is pretty low to the ground, and I saw, in the darkness of the room, the silhouette of a man either bent over or kneeling next to me by the bed. Not only was the humming sound coming from him, but I felt like I was sort of magnetized to him-- I couldn't move away. I wasn't completely "paralyzed" like in my other story, but in order to move a limb even a centimetre, I had to use ALL my strength possible just too barely budge. It was like I was stuck in extremely slow motion.

It felt like he was kissing my face, next to my mouth, almost at my chin. It almost felt like suction. It was a constant pressure on that spot on my face, never letting go, and I could not move my head. I tried to squirm away, but couldn't.

Finally, I was able to let out a dragged out "Stop!" And then I could move, and it immediately disappeared and was gone, just like that. I waited a few moments, then got up and ran to my bedroom door. Needless to say, I kept it open the rest of the night.

Paranormal sort of things have been happening more frequently to me this year than ever before. When I'm alone at night I have a hard time falling asleep because of it. What could it be and is there a way to make it go away... Whatever "it" is?

Other hauntings by elise24

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elise24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

darkfantum (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
i think it could be drawing enrgy of you to materialize

Darkfantum
Greaves098 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
Try to keep calm and have a positive moral going to bed as it gives you a better feeling about yourself! Try thinking of tommorow morning, what are you going to do? Should I call a friend over? Questions like that will help you! Open the door and leave your bedroom light on. If there is anyone else in your house ask them to stay in your room the night with you or try swapping rooms for a week to see if this shadow continues is mean ways!

I know and old way to get rid of ghosts in houses that has never failed to work.

Get a candle and light it, it doesn't matter about size or shape also get a small bell that you can hold, if you donthave one, try borrowing or buying one there only about
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Mountaineer, the latter two examples I gave are actually after Irving, though not by that long, and I do think he was the one who fleshed out the witching hour idea to very creepy effect, whereas others merely mention it, so I don't think you're wrong on that account. Just providing some more examples of its use. It is a fiction, and by the light of day I scoff, but on those rare occasions when I coincidentally wake up at 3 a.m., you won't catch me getting out of bed for a glass of water. I cower under my pillows like a little baby.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
[at] Isandhu: Well it would appear that I have been out-nerded! I bow to you sir. However, the main point of my post remains true, and you have added to that. The witching hour is fiction, no matter who created it.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
The OED cites examples of, "witching time" (Shakespeare's 'Hamlet,' 1604 and R. Blair's 'Grave,' 1743); "witching hour" (E. Bulwer-Lytton's 'Rienzi,' 1835); and "witching night" E. Bulwer-Lytton's 'King Authur, 1849); so, I don't think Washington Irving invented the idea, although he certainly used it to excellent effect. Makes no difference if it's midnight, 3 a.m. Or somewhere in between, night is scary (not least because it's dark and lonely), and in my experience, even regular old workaday problems seem worse when you're worrying about them at night than they do in the light of day, so a noise or a movement out of the corner of your eye that might not even register during the day is likely to seem ominous at night.

As for your experiences, Elise24, you probably won't like to hear this, but the first order of business would be to rule out an organic cause. Talk to your doctor and consider the possibility that you have a sleep disorder.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
[at] MSL: The witching hour is fiction. It was created by Washington Irving in his short story THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW. Everyone is probably getting tired of me blowing that horn, so I'll move one. For your comment about there being so many shadow people experiences in America: it's not just shadow person experiences. It's all paranormal stuff. America is a place where countless cultures all live side by side, exchanging beliefs and traditions. Thus, Americans have inherited superstitions and paranormal beliefs from just about every corner of the world and molded them to fit with their own personal beliefs. So there are a lot more stories of paranormal experiences from the states than anywhere else (to my knowledge anyway).

[at] elise24: Intriguing story. I'd be a bit wigged out myself if something appeared beside my bed, hummed in monotone, then started sucking on my face. "I'd like to keep my brains thanks!". Lol but seriously, you should get your house cleansed if this thing comes back.
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Hi Elise,

Thanks for sharing your story. I can imagine how scary this encounter must have been! As you may be aware by other stories on here, 3am is seen as the 'witching hour' and is a time when all demonic activities are at its zenith. Now, wether the Shadow man is a demon or not is hard for me to say. There have been suggestions that it could be sort of a paranormal police, i.e watchmen of the the spirit world, hence its very inquisitive nature. Its hard to tell what its intentions are. When you talked about your encounter, and how it was close to your face - automatically I had a vision of one of those pesky Dementor's from Harry Potter LOL!

I've noticed how majority of these Shadow Men experiences happen in the States, there must be something in the soil, or the air in America which make tales of these Shadow men so prevalent? I've yet to hear of any Shadow Men encounteres from Britain, where I'm from. Sorry - I'm trying to understand just WHAT this being is and what it wants?

I get a feeling that you might benifit from having your home/room cleansed if feelings of unease persist. Personally, I hope you never see Ol' shadow socks again!

Anyway, try and see what others have to say on here.

Thanks for sharing.

MSL

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: