You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My First Encounter With A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My First Encounter With A Ghost

 

I would like to talk about my first encounter with a ghost, I was 17 years old, and it was 1998.

I was in my laundry room washing cloths when I heard a noise coming from the room next to me; it was a banging sound like someone was beating on something. So I opened the door and all I saw was the glass gun cabinet moving like someone was punching it. It scared me and I thought I was going crazy. I pulled the door shut and went back to washing my clothes.

The noise eventually stopped, but when it did I looked up and saw a black shadow shaped like a man with no feet, just floating beside me. It went into the room where I was hearing the noise; I ran out of the house and told my next door neighbor what had happened. But everyone said I just wanted attention. I had no idea what was happening to me, as the years went by I kept seeing this figure, along with others.

I would love to understand why this happens or get a better understanding of all of it. Are there other people that have seen the same thing as me?

I have also been in a room where everything in the room started shaking and things were falling, it felt like someone was sitting next to me, this time I was on the phone and had a witness, but my friends and family still didn't believe me. I didn't see a ghost that time, but there was no other explanation for what happened in that room that night. Everything in the room was being moved and thrown around. There was nothing else moved in the entire house.

Through out my life I have had many other experiences. I would like to talk to someone that has been through this as well; maybe I will understand it more. If anyone reads this and can help me please email me, or if you have had something similar happen, I would like to know I'm not the only one that this happens to.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherrysmith1981, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sherrysmith1981 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
I want to thank everyone for all the feedback I have recieved. For years I have thought I was crazy. Now I see that I'm not the only one. I would like to share more stories. I'm glad I have found people who actually believe me. Again thankyou for your opinons on what has happened to me, it has helped me understand it in another way. And to know I'm not the only one, makes me fell much better. Thankyou everyone. I have more stories and I will be submitting them soon.
ghostgirl999 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-11)
ur not crazy I see them too! Mine have never stopped! 😁 it started when I was nine years old!
zapamay (3 stories) (40 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
I agree with Jav, it could be a poltergeist, but poltergeists tend to only show a hand or foot, or any other body part. I'm not sure what it could be, but whatever it is I think it wants attention. Best of luck! 😁 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
[at] Rook,
OK, back to the laboratory then. Taking the scissors with me.
Dang! I thought I might have had something that time.
Hhmmm...

Jav 😕
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Jav,

Your theory's may not be 'on the mark' all the time, but they do make one think.

Hummmm... Poltergeist activity 'I FEEL' falls into two categories...

1) An actual spirit that has been attracted by the 'increase' in an individuals energy 'output' during Puberty.

2) Psychokinetic 'outbursts' from the individual going through Puberty.

So your 'theory' may apply to the 1st one... Something along the lines of...'It used some energy to make the noises from the room next to the Laundry Room then tried to 'manifest' but lacked the energy to do so fully.'

I hope that helps and I really hope it makes some kind of sense...

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
[at] Rook,
I've got one of my running with scissors theories again and I need your input, if you have the time.
I'm thinking it may be the case of an entity that hasn't got the wherewithal to fully manifest. That being said, if this is poltergeist activity then that may be the reason it can't. What would it manifest into? Without ever being a human, it has no past life to reference, therefore it can only pretend to be an actual spirit. Which leaves us with... Shadow dude.
I'm not suggesting this is the case for all shadow men type entities, but what if it does in the case of a possible poltergeist?
What about it? Do you think it has legs?

Jav
IrishGuy (30 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
I agree with rookdygin, I think this might have more to do with poltergist entities than shadow people. Javalina said shadow people are not known to hang out with other entities but sherrysmith 1981 said the shadow man went into the room where she heard the unexplained noise originating from and in another event she told of everything being moved and trown around.I'm just wondering if the shadow entity is in some way joined to that room. Maybe something negative happened in that room or the land its built on but it does seem to be more than just the usual shadow man story. Anyway thanks for shareing!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
[at] Indigo,
I was hoping to get others to add to the list, and I certainly am pleased with the participation so far.
Personally, I find this phenomenon fascinating. It amazes me that no one can really get a handle on them. Of course that can be said of all things paranormal.

Jav 😉
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
sherrysmith,

I have a question to ask, please do not take it the wrong way but other than the 'shadow man' the other things you describe sound like possible Poltergeist activity and that's what leads me to ask this...

Were you a 'late bloomer'? Puberty starts at different times for everybody and sense Poltergeist Activity seems to be closely associated with that stage of an individuals development I wonder if perhaps you were going through some 'changes' when these events occurred.

That is one possibility, another is psychokinesis. Moving things with ones mind. The 'shaking and rattling' of things may have come from you... An outward manifestation of emotions from you causing things the shake. Just an Idea or two.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Jav...they also tend to bring various scents with them, both good and bad, not always, but pretty common.
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Hi SherrySmith1981! If you look over the many stories in this site you will know you are not the only one to have such an experience and as Jav mentioned there are various forms that can be taken on. You have come to the right site and will get lots of feedback on any stories you publish and questions you have.
Wishing you well.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
I would like to add to Javelina's great discripton of the shadow person. They can move really, really fast!

You are a sensitive and are basically a conduit to spirits. They are attracted to your energy, kind of like a beacon. They are expressing themselves in a manner only they can understand, in hopes that they will a) make you see they are there b) try and tell you something c) do it just because and my favorite and the rarest, d) mess with your mind.
Keep reading stories here and you will learn you are not alone in having the ability to attract. There are ways you can shield yourself and your home, I just posted Rooks cleansing ritual to my sister who is a sensitive and just got a bed from a friend who neglected to tell her that her uncle died on it. Not a good thing for a sensitive to have in her home lol!
Welcome to the group and, you can tell us anything and we won't laugh, but try and help. People who are not sensitive just don't want to understand what scares them.
❤ ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
sherrysmith1981,
First I'd like to welcome you to YGS (Your ghost stories) and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Second, it's obvious that you are somewhat new to the paranormal lingo so I'll try and help you out here. What you saw is commonly known as a 'shadow person, for obvious reasons of course. And what we know just highlights what we don't know about these entities. They mostly just observe us. They aren't really known to make contact or interfere with our daily lives. I don't think they are evil or even malevolent. There is a theory that perhaps they are spirits/ghosts that don't have whatever it takes to fully manifest themselves.
And yet another theory that they may be some sort of spirit-like police. Keeping things in order on the ethereal plane.
Some personal observations that I have noticed from reading the plethora of experiences that have been submitted to this site are:
~They are not known to hang out with other entities (that I have noticed).
~Once they realize they have been spotted by us they will Fade away/disappear.
~They have been described in several different ways...
~~~~Very tall, slender, oftentimes wearing a long jacket.
~~~~Sometimes wearing a wide brimmed hat
~~~~A couple of reports of seeing it as shorter and over weight (very rarely)
~~~~Most often reported to be found in the darkest corner of a room or closet.
~~~~Not known to be aggressive. Just watchful.

Do you have something you would like to ask?

Jav 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: