You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Is Something There?

Real Ghost Stories

Is Something There?

 

My wife and I moved into our first purchased home about two and a half years ago. To be honest I was never really impressed with the home, but she loved it and the area is nice. So we decided to purchase it and move in. Since then it feels like home now, but there are some strange things that have happened over the period of time that we have lived there.

The first incident probably happened about six months or so after we moved in. We had just finished dinner and I was lying on the sofa watching some television. My wife was tidying up a bit and getting ready to do dishes in our large kitchen/living room area. The areas are in the same spacious room, just to give some visual. She was getting ready to start washing dishes when the sink turned on full blast right in front of her. She was probably a good five steps from the sink.

She screamed and ran over to where I was lying down. When I asked her what was wrong (even though I already knew) she said, "The sink just turned on by itself!" I walked over and shut it off and got the strangest tingling sensation all over my body. I passed off the sensation as my body's reaction to a weird thing that just happened. When I did some brief research on the tap system we have, I concluded that it is impossible for the faucet to turn on by itself, even if there is great pressure in the pipes (it's the kind that you have to lift the handle to turn on). I'm still not certain that this is "impossible" but it is the first time I have ever seen it happen in my 32 years.

Some other things that have happened include our electronic picture frame being mysteriously turned on and happily flipping through our picture slideshow. This has happened a dozen of times or so, and my wife has since unplugged it. We have never witnessed it turn on, but we will come into the same living room area and see that it is indeed on.

Just recently, on my day off, my wife came home from work. She asked why our garage door was open. I explained to her that I hadn't been in the garage at all that day, and we don't even park in there. It is used mainly for storage and random electronics projects that I attempt. I closed the door and set the lock on it so it can't be opened by remote. I haven't heard of garage doors just magically opening on their own, and I was home all day and didn't even hear it open.

I remember when we moved in there was one room in our house that had very bad carpet stains and some strange odors. We assumed it was a messy child's room, but it also kind of wreaked "junkie". Then, when we were painting our house shortly after moving in, I discovered a syringe on top of our cabinets with a needle and all. I thought that it was strange for it to be up there, but it seems like the kind of place that an addict might hide something they didn't want to be easily found.

The location of that bedroom with the bad carpet seems to be the center of some of the disturbances we have encountered.

One night, and this is the most significant occurrence in my mind, I was sitting at the kitchen table, facing towards that bedroom. My wife was out with some friends and I had the house lit up with television, lights, and our laptop computer, just soaking up technology. I even remember feeling a little bit guilty about being so engaged in so many escapist activities at once, but it didn't stop me from my indulgence.

Then, the most unexplainable thing yet happened to me. I "felt" a presence come from that end of the house and circle around me slowly as I sat at the table. I saw nothing, but oh boy could I feel it. It was almost like static electricity moving around me, and pulsating on the side where the entity stopped in front of me. I was almost frozen at the table when I said, "Okay, I acknowledge your presence, so now what?" It stayed for another minute or so, and right when I felt it start to dissipate, I heard a loud banging on the window right behind me! I jumped up and quickly opened the blinds to peek out. Of course nothing was there.

Now I know what you're thinking, it is possible that someone banged on the window, or a tree branch blew into the window. That is not as easily possible as you might think. For one thing, that window is in our back yard and it is encircled with a brick wall. It is kind of in a nook behind the storage shed out behind our house. It is kind of hard to picture and describe, but just know that it is not accessible to anyone unless they jumped over the brick wall, banged on the window several times, then jumped back over in about 2 seconds time. Not very likely at least. And there are no trees or anything that could have bumped into the window in a repeatedly banging fashion. Couple that with the sensation I felt moments before, and I'm calling it paranormal!

We had a blessing ceremony when we moved in and we regarded it with the highest respect that anyone would. We haven't had anything "scary" happen per say, but the window incident kind of scared me a little. I thought, "This thing is toying with me!" That probably disturbed me more than some of the other incidents I have experienced. It was almost like it was picking on me that night! Oh by the way that window is located just next to the kitchen sink that turned on.

I have done some research on our house, and I can't find anything unusual that happened. In fact, the house was only about 3 years old when we bought it. One family, or maybe just a married couple, lived there for about a year before we moved in, and I think it sat vacant for maybe a year and a half between the occupancies. I'm not certain that any tenant died there, but I also wondered if some poor guy was ducking in their when it was vacant and had an overdose or something? I really don't know, but I haven't come up with any evidence of that yet.

Oh I almost forgot this! The storage shed that is out next to that window is in a very odd place. It is up against the brick wall, and has to stoop down and walk against the house to get to the little "nook" where I heard that knocking. It isn't very tall and I can see the roof slightly (it's a flat roof). I noticed some white areas on the shingles, but just thought it was water staining or something. Well I finally got up on a chair to get a better look just recently, and there is white spray paint that says Luis in cursive writing with a heart for the dot on the "i". I don't get that at all. I didn't find any record of a Luis living at our residence. Maybe it was an offspring of the owners or who in the world knows!

I'm puzzled but I'm curious. I'm not afraid of my home; there are just some random isolated events that happen. They seem to be spread out well enough to, so there isn't a whole lot of activity. And I'm almost positive that it's peaceful if there is anything there.

We just got a small breed dog and he will bark randomly sometimes, mostly through the arcadia door at night, and he won't enter some areas of the house very willingly.

That's all I can think of for right now, and it feels good to write it down at least. I feel that I've documented it now! Please feel free to comment, I'd love to hear what you all have to say about this! And let me know if there are any questions you have as well, it may jog my memory or allow me to put more detail somewhere that needs it!

Thanks all!

Other hauntings by Wardo

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wardo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Wardo,

It seems to be comfortable with knocks... That may be a good place to start. Aussie has a good point... The knocks need to be enough you can rule out other causes.

Another thing you may want to try, that won't invite increased activity is EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon. Get a digital, or even an older style, recorder and the next time it seems to be 'active' start recording and ask questions...

What is your name? Why are you here? Do you have a message for someone? Are examples of what you may ask. Pause between each question, as if someone is really answering, before asking the next question. Once your done asking questions play back the recording and see if any voices can be heard that you didn't hear when you asked the questions.

You may just 'capture' some answers. Please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
In my opinion Wardo this visitor initiated contact with you first by knocking which would suggest to me they know there way around your house and are quite happy to talk to you, I'm getting the impression your comfortable with them being there and perhaps that's the reason they have moved objects and made themselves known to you in the first place... After all they are just like you and me... If I were a spirit hanging around my joint and people moved in who were opened to my interactions and existence than I too would knock rattle and roll the joint down to let them know I'm there... You could try a seance or a Ouija board but I think you know the risk associated with that... I would ask them to knock again when you feel they are around you, perhaps ask them to knock three times it seems to be the easiest way to validate there presence... I think 1 knock could be a fluke two knocks could be coincidental... Three knocks will secure a curious mind, good luck with it mate and let us know how you go.

Daz
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
[at] AussieDaz - I'm very intrigued to communicate with the knocker myself, but I'm unsure of what to do... I know! I'll get a Ouija board out tonight and light candles and have a seance! Okay, before you all jump me, I'm joking. All kidding aside, anyone got any good ideas how I can communicate safely? I'm all ears...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
G'day Wardo how you going buddy it's been a long time between drinks and it's good to see you back here at YGS... Mate I'm pretty sure your account is paranormal and interestingly when you acknowledged this ghostly visitor with words they gave you a couple of knocks on the window in dialogue with you no doubt... Very very common form of communication mate I'm well and truly pass putting it down to expanding rafters or sudden gushes of wind... Although you may feel they are picking on you, I beg the differ... It sounds to me like someone is trying to communicate with you and yes that can be a little unnerving at times even though your not frighten in knowing that the house may be haunted and I kind of hate saying that word haunted cause 90 percent of the time spirits are just trying to converse for one reason or another...

Cheers mate thanks for sharing a well written account.

Daz
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
[at] DeviousAngel - Thanks for commenting! I forgot one sort of eerie detail about the storage shed. It doesn't have a traditional door knob, it has a bolt lock on it. Only the keyed end is inside the storage unit. I remember being creeped out at first by this, as though someone was locked inside the room at some point. So in other words, you turn the lock on the outside to gain entrance. I'm thinking that might have been the only means to closing the door, and maybe they didn't have the key to the lock anymore or something. Anyway, just filling in that missing detail.

[at] Javelina - That is quite profound that I am part of the reason for your joining the site! I got a tingling sensation when I read that, and I am glad that you were able to find help in the community here. I have actually read this website for years before I ever posted anything. When I finally decided to post some of my stories, it was just out of the blue. Thanks for telling me that, and it's good to be back!

Thanks everyone for such support and understanding. As I said, I would like to know if something happened in my house, but it isn't really pressing. I am just curious, and again I am not afraid of my home or what may be there...yet! And hopefully it stays that way!

Someone asked if I was religious, and yes I am Catholic as well.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-11)
hi there wardo just read through the comments and everything I was thinking is there so won't do the parrot thing (have done enough of that before) just wanted to say interesting post and I hope you keep it up to date and that it stays "calm"
All the best
Carl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
[at] Wardo,
First of all I want to thank you for returning to YGS after so long. You and Danny Bruise are the reason I joined this site. I was researching for another story and stumbled upon YGS in the process. So naturally I went to the Arizona experiences first, and your accounts drew me in.
I can't add much to what others have already suggested as I do agree with a lot of it.
However, I did do a little checking to see if there were some way to cross reference deaths by addresses. I was hoping to be able to contribute something positive here.
What I found instead was that Arizona is a "closed record" state. That means that vital records are not public record. Arizona law restricts the public access to vital records to protect the confidentiality rights of it's citizens. You would have to be a relative or an attorney of a relative to gain access. Not a positive outcome, sorry.
However, from what you've laid out above and throughout the comment section, it does seem as if your experiencing an intelligent haunting. From the way you felt it circle you as you sat at the table, to the banging on the window after you had acknowledged it's presence, and the incident with the kitchen faucet, it seems like the logical conclusion to me.
The only other way I can think of finding out if a death did occur there is to search the obituary and death section of the newspaper, going back to when the home first became vacant. Of course it would be nice if the newspaper actually had a way to cross reference by address, but I haven't checked it myself.
Again, thanks for coming back. And thank you for sharing,

Jav
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
I agree with several of the other posters. Can you discover how long the house was vacant?
Perhaps someone came in, tagged the roof, used some drugs, and maybe they died.

I want to address the small dog barking. We have a little dog too. They have really great hearing, better than ours. They can hear another dog barking further away than we can, or footsteps of a neighbor walking down the street (maybe even walking another dog!). Unless there is something extremely unusual about the barking, I wouldn't be concerned about that at all.
mark (8 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
As Moongrim said, you can look into court records, police reports, etc. Its hard to dig up stuff in these because of all the red tape you have to go through. I agree with checking with neighbors. Don't go up to them and ask, hey, have you heard of any thing weird happening in my house?

For instance, you can look at my stories, but I talked to some of the older neighbors across the street from me. (that's another key, no offense to the older population, but they always know what's going on in the neighborhood). They told me that a kid drowned in my back yard. I tried to dig this up in police reports, coroner reports, and got no where. Lots of red tape and chasing my tail in a circle.

Maybe the syringes are from an insulin diabetic?

I think you're doing a good job of trying to find rational reasons for these events you are experiencing.

I'm not sure if you're religous, it sounds like it if you had your house blessed. I'm Catholic, and put Crucifixes all over my house, and prayed alot. Seriously, my faith got me through some rough times in my house. I'm not fearful of the noises and occasional shadow I see.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Yeah, the garage door opening is weird and though the possible explanation is there, sometimes the situation simply is not rationally explainable. If your gut tells you that a drug addict was crashing there, it is very possible that that was the case considering the house sat empty for a while. I know kids used to use our house to smoke, grafitti and shoot pellet guns at the windows while no one lived there. I do like the explanation about the shed being used as a little "rendez-vous" spot. Or perhaps the shed was not really built there but brought over from somewhere else?
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
[at] DeviousAngel - You are right about electronics behaving strangely. As I mentioned briefly in my story, I'm somewhat of a techy/electronics nut. I have many components in the house that hold charges, changes currents, etc. It is even possible that one of these could have caused the door to malfunction, but it is highly unlikely that that is the cause. Maybe the energy that they hold is attractive to spirits too, who knows? I actually found the syringe in the kitchen, not in the bedroom. I just made that connection in my own mind. As you said with the power of intuition, something sang in my mind that it was a druggies needle. Then again, it could have been nothing more than an insulin needle. I wasn't about to hang on to it to find out, though. I know that heroin addicts are probably not among those addicts who are OCD about their areas, and that drug is usually administered through a needle.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
I was thinking along the same lines as Miracles... Without figuring out exactly what was in the syringe, it could have been anything. It could have been insulin, epinephrine, etc. A messy and stained room is more a sign of a sloppy person than a drug addict. Depending on the drug--ecstasy or meth for example, drug addicts tend to get OCD about their surrundings. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but I would not necessarily assume that finding a syringe in a messy room instantly means a drug addict lived there.

As for the garage door thing, that is rather weird. Moongrim's explanation seems fairly plausible. That very thing has actually happened to me with a car alarm. I walked out into a huge parking lot and hit the panic button on my alarm remote to find my car and a car's alarm went off. I walked up, got in, shut the door and put on my seatbelt before realizing something was off. It was not my car. I got out, pushed the button again and the alarm re-armed. My car was parked several rows away from the one that initially went off.

The event which really would have freaked me out was the faucet. I know that you looked into that so I have no doubt that something weird caused the faucet to turn on. I also believe strongly in the power of intuition, so I think you were in very close proximity to a spirit when it knocked on the window and startled you.

So far, the good news is that it does not seem hostile... As long as it stays that way, everything should be fine.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
[at] Nysa - Those are all great points Nysa! I'm pretty sure it isn't a poltergeist because it seems to have intelligence sometimes, and I can feel an entity's presence at those moments. I guess I don't know too much about poltergeists except that they are pretty active and noisy, and usually don't even involve the presence of an entity. Am I right on this? I like your ideas about where it may have come from, and I have considered that it is attached to the land. I hadn't considered an object, though. My house is on the edge of the Indian Reservation, so it is possible that something took place there or it could have been a crude graveyard even, I don't know. I would like to find out if there is anything else on record though, and I will let you all know what I find out! Thanks again all!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
[at] Moongrim - I have looked into some of the records that I found on Arizona's county recorder and treasurer website. Our state is fortunate to have a vast amount of information available online. I was able to find the names of the previous tenants, but I didn't find any information about deaths there. I will look into the other outlets you mentioned and keep you all up to date!

[at] Miracles51031 - I found it strange because of the location of the syringe, and that it was only one of them. If I had found a supply in a conspicuous location, I may have assumed insulin shots or something legal at least. Still, those are possible explanations, thanks.

[at] zzsgranny - The funny thing about our neighborhood is that it is fairly new and people seem to move around a lot. The only neighbor that has been there longer than me is right next door to me, but they haven't been there more than a month longer than I have. I would still love to talk to some neighbors, but finding one that knew anything about the house may be difficult given the situation.

[at] DARKNESS - I hadn't thought of the energy of such an activity attracting something there. That is a good point, but what type of spirit would be attracted to negative energy? Probably the kind that I don't want in my house! Anyway, that is something worth considering.

[at] greetha50 - No my wife has not experienced anything unusual by herself that I can think of right off the top of my head. We will tease one another and say, Oh the ghost did that, but she really isn't comfortable with the thought of a ghost in our home. I'm not the least bit afraid of my house, even when something weird happens. I find it fascinating. If you read some of my other stories, I have been in situations where ghosts were scarier than hell! I'm happy to not be in that environment and to know the difference or have something to relate it to at least. I will have to ask my wife anyway, although she probably would have called me immediately to tell me!

Thank you so much everyone! I love this site and it's good to be back! I'll stay in touch...
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Most of those events are explainable, the garage door most easily, the feeling of being circled less easily. If there is something there it seems pretty benign, though I know that doesn't necessarily make it less unnerving. Perhaps when it frightened you by banging the window it was just saying "I acknowledge you too." Until you recounted that I was thinking that if there was something there it sounded more like a poltergeist, which has been theorized to be anything from a ghost to uncontrolled psychic energy. But the circling you part sounds a bit out of step with that idea.

As for why it is there, it never hurts to dig deeper if you are really curious, but sometimes there is not a neat explanation. Something might have happened before the house was built, even before records of any kind were kept for the area. What happened might not have been a death either. With the house sitting empty for a while who knows what went on there that could have led the spirit of someone who died later somewhere else to be positively or negatively attached to the home. Also, some people believe entities can be attached to objects, so maybe it could be something in your home, it wouldn't have to be something very old.

One last thought, about your spray paint. You make the shed area sound sort of secluded, while the home was empty maybe the roof of the shed became a rendezvous for a young couple.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-09)
Many of the posters have mentioned good points here. Just out of curiosity, did you wife experience anything when you are not around?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Wardo very informative mate and good work looking into the homes history. It does seem that there is a presence within your home, and I think you may be on the money with it having something to do with the previous occupants chice of lifestyle. Either someone did pass within the home or because of the use this a very negative environment maybe something was attracted to the home for that reason. Keep us posted and all the best.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Wardo: Geez, do I know about the garage door!...My ghosties liked playing with ours... All I have now is a car port, so I don't know if that particular one followed us or not 😆...I think Moongrim's idea about checking with the neighbors is a good place to start...

Interesting events, hope you can find out more... Please keep us updated, and thank you for posting ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
Wardo - it appears that there are many things going on in your home and I'm sure there will be many people on this site that are going to talk to you about them. I just want to talk about the syringes you found.

I had the same situation. I bought a used mobile home and as I was cleaning my master bathroom, I found syringes, a couple brand new, one used, on top of the cabinet. I automatically assumed "drug addict" and was very shocked because the man I bought the trailer from was a firefighter. I found out from some friends who know him that he uses steroids. Maybe this could be an explanation for what you found.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
There are any number of other records to check into, your county court house has access to records as: Police, Coroner Reports, Vandalism. And not to mention the Full Disclosure Laws. A more laborious route would involve checking old newspapers/microfiche. Or checking with some of the next door neighbors...

As to the garage door- electronic garage door openers have a narrow band of frequencies that they operate in, and the coding for a door- repeats more often than not.

I'd not be surprised if you took your garage door opener and walked around the neighborhood clicking it, you'd find someone else's garage door opening/closing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: