You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Brighter Than Light And Darker Than Black

Real Ghost Stories

Brighter Than Light And Darker Than Black

 

I'm a very new member of this site, and I'd like to say that I'm very grateful for the kindness and empathy from the members of this community.

I am a 22 year old male from northern Iowa. I was born in Minnesota, went to college in Florida and currently live in New York City, but all of my experiences with the paranormal happened while I lived in Iowa from about age 6 to 18. I will continue to post them.

The specific experiences that I will outline in this story weighed on me quite a bit; and it's been very difficult for me to talk about. So here we go:

I worked at a movie theatre for all four years during high school as a projectionist. I also cleaned every Sunday morning. My most harrowing experiences happened on consecutive Sundays while I was cleaning the theatre alone. There were three showing theatres at our small venue in rural Iowa.

Like any normal Sunday, I had cleaned the lobby, bathrooms and concession stand and had moved on to the theatres. I turned the service lights on in theatre one and began cleaning. Listening to music on my iPod when I happened to look up. What I saw is very difficult to describe.

I looked up towards the top left of the movie screen and saw what I would call a human-like figure floating in mid-air. I didn't see it for long- it sort of flashed in my peripheral vision. But after it happened, I could see it very clearly when I closed my eyes, like seeing a camera flash after a photo. I might have spent more than a half hour in the theatre collecting my thoughts afterward- in a complete state of shock. To the best of my ability, I would describe it as a very tall and lanky figure of bright white light. It had no eyes, no face, no fingers or toes. Just an incredibly bright white 'person.' I would estimate it being at least ten feet tall with limbs about 6-8 feet in length. I can still "see" it very clearly when I think about the experience. Also, I had an overwhelming feeling that the figure was male, even though it had no features.

For some reason, even though it was just a moment, I felt that this particular being was angry with me, or had ill intent. I couldn't continue my job and left the theatre immediately.

I didn't tell anyone about this, and resumed my job; projecting on Tuesday night, and showing up to clean on Sunday again.

This time I was wary of entering the theatre. I started with the manager's office to try and get my mind straight. I unravelled the cord on the vacuum behind the door and cracked open the door to the lobby. As I did this, I saw the same figure walk right by the doorway. I was looking down at the floor, and so I only saw what I would call the legs. It walked by very quickly.

As this was the second week in a row that I had experienced this thing, I was obviously disturbed. Not usually one to tell people, I actually called my mother to come and help me finish the job. She did, and nothing else happened for the duration.

For some days, I thought I might be crazy. I even thought my mom might think I was a little weird. But I knew what I saw, and I saw it on multiple occasions. Each time I felt extreme chills down my whole body and felt an indescribable sense of dread. I didn't like it.

After the experience with the doorway, I never saw this entity at the theatre again. But I was still very scared of cleaning the theatre; which I actually continued to do for another year before college. But I firmly believe I saw the same thing at my house some time later.

It was late one night and I was alone watching television. All the lights in the house were off besides the TV, so it was very dark. Pitch black, even. Again, I happened to look away- this time at the hallway leading to my bedroom. As I watched, I saw a very tall figure walk past the doorway. My doorway is eight feet tall, and I only saw up to its shoulders. But even though I was looking at complete darkness, it seemed to be even darker than pitch black. It actually stood out as being darker than complete darkness. It walked by very quickly, and I'm happy to say that this was the last time I saw this apparition.

To this day, I'm not really sure what I saw. And I've never heard a story quite like it. But I'm so thankful I've not seen it since. It appeared both as an incredibly bright light and also as blacker than pitch black. Obviously, it's very tough to describe, but it was very unsettling to see something so out of proportion and with no human features; no face, no eyes, no nothing. I think the most unsettling part was the length of the limbs (especially the arms- which seemed to be longer than I am tall) and its overall height.

I believe I experienced some sort of demon, or malevolent entity. I can still feel the negative thoughts from the initial sighting, and I have tears in my eyes reliving the experience. I haven't told anyone besides my parents and a VERY close friend or two, but I would love to hear what this wonderful community thinks.

Thank you for your patience with this long story. I so look forward to your comments.

Other hauntings by Medial

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Medial, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

87calais (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Hi Medial, I think it could be an alien entity you saw or a shape shifter. As for the dark and light that could indicate that it is at different levels of strength. I don't know much about demons. I have read that it's extremely uncommon to deal with one. Any entity can give off negative feelings if there angry about something. Thanks for your story I enjoyed it.
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
I wholeheartedly agree DragonStorm. I feel very privileged to be privy to these things, even if they can be disturbing at times.

I always welcome this into my life, and I'm glad that so many members of this community feel the same way!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Medial ~ I know that feeling well! I would say the fact you are a sensitive to the other side, having a hard time and going through adolescence may have really juiced up your magnetism to spirits, it's good to know you have hung onto that sensitivity though and have kept it as a part of your life, I know a lot of people who experience these things and clearly have gifts that "grow out of it" or just don't pursue them, which I do feel is a shame 😊
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
I think you've got something there. I've definitely experienced things at a higher rate when I was going through something difficult. It also seemed to kind of happen in spurts. When this theatre activity was going on, I was more sensitive and "in tune" than I've ever felt in my life. It was a really wild time, I tell you that!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Medial ~ I know it is said more commonly for females, that during their teens and other stressful times in their lives that paranormal activity can increase, perhaps because you are sensitive and were at this stage of your life you just attracted everything that was near to you?

Just a brief theory 😊
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
That could very well be possible DragonStorm. I guess I'll never really know, but the thing that really puzzles me is the fact that I saw something similar and had the same feeling at my own house.

I really think whatever it was - whether it be apparition or manifestation of emotion - had more to do with me than the theatre.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
It sounds like you really did experience something very unique while you were working there, the history sounds intriguing, do you think maybe the "thing" you saw could have been a residual spirit of anguished emotions left from the fire so to speak?

Like a manifestation of the pain and suffering that was experienced during that time in the lands existence?
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
I actually did some extensive research on the area, and learned that an old lumber bill actually burned down at the same location in the 1930's. It also used to be a Red Owl grocery store. Nobody died in the fire, but a man died of a heart attack once in the Red Owl. But I had an overwhelming feeling that whatever I experienced was not human, let alone a normal old man.

I've had a bunch of things happen since then! I'm very sensitive to things of this nature, so it just kind of naturally happens to me. I've experienced other things at the theatre, like a disembodied head at the end of a hallway, as well as a very long arm reaching up into the movie screen. I believe these were all kind of in the same category. That theatre just seemed to drain my energy, as it were. I never felt comfortable there, especially if I was alone.

If you'd like to know of my other experiences, feel free to shoot me an email if you have some specific questions. 😊
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
[at] Medial ~ WOW! I'd really like to hear more about that! Is there any way you could look up the history of the theatre and see if you could identify exactly what was happening back then?

Have you had anything else happen to you at all since then? 😊
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Twila, I love your comment. Very intriguing thought process on this.

Rookdygin: I got the same feeling from both entities, whether or not they were the same. The emotions I felt were very strong, but I know that the bulk of what I was feeling was actually coming from this thing. It was very unnerving. I felt like it wanted me out immediately.

DragonStorm80, there were multiple others who experienced things at this theatre. I'll outline them in a story soon since there's lots! But the most interesting was that a good friend and coworker of mine actually swore to have talked to me in person for about a half hour. I wasn't even in town that day. His name is Kyle- he doesn't believe in anything paranormal. But he swears to this day that I was there talking to him.

So not only did this thing not like me, it could apparently BECOME me. I was incredibly startled by this, and actually thought he was trying to play a trick on me for quite a while.

Thanks all, awesome discussion here!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
This story certainly is unique! I am also wondering if you did indeed see two separate beings of a similar level of manifestation as other have mentioned here.

Did you hear of any other employees having any experiences of their own at all while you were working there?

Oh and Ipods were around that long ago? How time and technology does fly! 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
Medial,

Did you get the same feeling from the 'dark' figure you saw that night at your home that you did from the 'white' figure you saw at the theater?

I ask because there is a chance that you saw two different 'spirits/entities'.

You describe the 'emotions' you felt... With great detail... Were they your own or are you certain they were emitted by the spirit in the theater?

Thank you for sharing, and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Respectfully,

Rook
Twila (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
How odd - to me, it seems as whatever this entity was, it had followed you home. But as to why it changed from bright white to darker than black, I have no clue. White is normally associated with purity, and black tends to be associated with something negative... Why a single spirit would hold both of these properties is a mystery indeed. It could be a possibility that it was just a jumbled manifestation of various emotions (as Nysa had mentioned), and an incomplete one at that, lacking certain features. This is probably a little out there, but maybe one of the reasons it didn't have a face was because it truly is a manifestation of random peoples' emotions, and because its origin is so diverse, it could not have a face of a singular person? Just a thought.
stephyw2001 (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
I'm not sure if it would be a demon if its bright and light. That doesn't seem to be demon-normal. How strange though, it was only white at the theatre? Black at your house? It does seem odd that it would change from light to dark like that. Maybe they're twins! One is the good twin, and one is the bad twin. 😜
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
I found the photos of the "slender man," and that doesn't exactly check out. For one, that thing had a black suit. I saw no clothes on an impossibly lanky and skinny person. The faceless man doesn't seem to check out either.

Thanks folks. I'd love to keep hearing your theories on this one.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
A very unusual story. The entity is striking, both in it's extreme height & the fact that it appeared bright white in one location & dark in another. With the accompanying feeling of anger I wonder if it was a physical manifestation of negative thoughts and feelings, which would make sense in a public place like a theater, though I am at a loss to say why you would see it in your home.

MissyM it is sad that some people get their jollys by messing with people's beliefs, as if showing that something can be faked means that it is impossible.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
This sounds like The Faceless Man, The Operator, DerRitter. The slender man Internet folklore. Slender Man is a mythical creature often depicted as being tall and thin, and having a blank face.

On June 8th 2009, a "'paranormal pictures" photoshop contest was launched on the Something Awful forums.[1] The idea was to create creepy images and use them to trick people on paranormal forums into thinking they were authentic. Users started editing images by adding fake ghosts and other strange figures, usually accompanied by a fake story to make it seem more realistic.
On June 10th, user Victor Surge posted in a thread containing the first known mention of the Slender Man as a creature who stalked children.[2] Two photos of the creature were posted to the thread as well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: