You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Kumonthong

Real Ghost Stories

Kumonthong

 

I am a farang. A white boy. My skin is so white, it blinds people when I take my shirt off. I came to Bangkok to train in Muay Thai. Let's just say it didn't work out so well. While shopping, I found an amulet that I thought looked "cool". It was about 3 inches tall, and appeared to be the image of a baby. I didn't speak Thai at the time, so I couldn't understand what the seller was trying to tell me. If I could have understood him, then I would never have taken the amulet home.

My girlfriend Nok is from Issan. Her skin is as dark as mine is white. She was horrified when she saw what I purchased from the market. She explained to me that the amulet I bought was a KumonThong. It is the spirit of a dead baby that has been transferred to the amulet. It requires great care and attention as would a normal living child. She told me I would have to feed it several times a day, and buy toys for it. Food and toys for an amulet? To make her happy, I did it for a few days. She berated me the whole time for taking on such a responsibility.

Nok left a few days later to visit her mom and instructed me to care for the amulet while she was gone. Unfortunately I didn't follow her instructions and I went out drinking with friends for a few days on an island and left the KumonThong amulet at home. If I had more room to write this story, I could fully describe the horrors that happened to me. Accidents, dog bites, and I nearly drowned while swimming. I went home and took the amulet back to the seller and told him I couldn't care for it anymore. Another farang was there and I told him what happened. His eyes lit up and he seemed excited to own something that was haunted. I saw him pay for it and walk away. Then I turned to the seller and saw the amulet still lying on the table. I asked where the other farang was, and that he forgot his amulet. The seller asked me to describe him, and when I did, all of the people near let out a gasp. They said I described the amulets previous owner. The man who fell out of his high rise balcony to his death. The man's girlfriend had returned the KumonThong back to the seller, where it sat... Waiting for me to buy it. Now it sits again. Waiting for another to give it a home.

When I went back to my country I looked up the story of the man who I saw. He did in fact die from a mysterious fall. The police never solved the crime, but I suspect what caused it was the ghost of a dead baby--trapped in an amulet... Waiting for another fool to come along.

Other hauntings by ChangYai

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ChangYai, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
I'm still wondering what the skin color had to do with all this.
bangkokbaby (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-17)
It's not only amulets that have spirits inside. It is possible to buy a statue, Ganesh or Papicanet as Thais call him, that has a Tep (angel) inside and you must take care of the tep in the same way by making offerings of food and incense etc.
I believe tep are invited into the statues. You can buy them easily at places like the Papicanet shrine in Huay Kwang market. I have one... We don't sleep too well since we got it...
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
ChangYai: I'm sorry if I have multiple comments... I just want to add this:

I did some research about KumonThong, and I found out that some of them truly believes in its Supernatural Powers. Some of them are said to bring Good Luck and Wealth, and in some cases, they also guard your home while you are away, that is if taken care of properly. Collectors are willing to spent thousands of money just to own one. Which, I find bizaare... Why not let the poor child's soul to rest instead of making it do your bidding?

And that cartoon left me speechless for words to describe how I felt while watching it... I never finished watching it.

Thank You, again. 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
That is creepy... The fact that you have to care for something in which you do not have the slightest idea what would happen if you chose to neglect it... Well, we do now.

And Thank You for sharing this... Me and my cousins will be on a trip to Bangkok next month... At least I know which objects I have to stay away from, seeing as I love buying things from abroad as souvenirs.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
What strange beliefs some cultures nurture I must say, That cartoon was sad, but tell me something not EVERY amulet would actually be "haunted" right because that e-bay page has prices ranging from 99cents to $360, I am assuming the more expensive ones have something attached to them, I'm not sure it would be a baby's soul but maybe even a strong protection spell?

This is an interesting yet disturbing insight into the Thai culture.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
ChangYai- Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it! 😊
ChangYai (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
[at] moongrim...kumonthongs are not unique to Thailand. There are variations in Malaysia, cambodia, laos, philippines, etc.

If you think that's strange. Look up Boonpaeng Heep Lek. He was a Thai serial killer who chopped up women and is now revered as a local folk saint. There are shrines to him in Bangkok. Thailand is a strange place indeed, but I love it.
ChangYai (2 stories) (8 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
[at] PIP...the dance you are talking about is called the Wai Kru. Wai means respect or dance, and kru is teacher. Each gym in Thailand has a unique wai kru. Experts can tell which gym a fighter or Nok Muay is from by his wai kru. It also pays respect to the spirits of the ring. It is unrelated to amulets however.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
quixoticqt- I felt the same way about Europe after watching Hostel, haha! I don't blame you. 😜
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
ChangYai-

Thanks for sharing your story with us! I absolutely LOVE Muay Thai. I used to have a personal trainer every week at a kickboxing gym, and he was a fighter that specialized in Muay Thai. It miss training! 😢 The reason I brought this up is because when I attended my trainer's fight, they did some sort of ritual in the ring by bowing to each corner of the ring. I asked him about it, but he pretty much avoided the topic. I thought that was kind of strange, and it made me think of the amulet you purchased. I doubt the two things are related, but maybe Thailand has some creepy secrets! That's rather eerie!

Best Wishes,
PiP
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Well no wonder there has been such a scam concerning amulets in Thailand. P.T. Barnum was all wet. O.K. Even if it were possible to 'transfer' the soul of a dead baby into an amulet, this is necromancy at best. Why not destroy the amulet to let the soul of the baby free?
The U.S. Is not a pillar by comparison, but Kumonthongs and the Child Sex Trade of Thailand, doesn't paint a very good portrayl of Siam.
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Okey, there was this one time when I wanted to go visit Thailand. Now that your tellin me all these stories I'm not so sure now. Your doing a fantastic job of stayin there for me and writting it down. 😊
A couple years back I visited Canada and there was some moments where I wished I wasn't camping there... I think I'll have to do a story on it now. Thanks for reminding me.

Qt
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Wow! Thanks for adding to the story! I can't believe that cartoon! That's so upsetting! 😢 What a weird concept.
Genesii (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
I have heard of stories like this. I'm sure everyone remembers "The Monkey's Paw"? Creeparola! My uncle lives in Thailand and he has told me stories of some of the strange rituals and beliefs that the Thai people have... I'll have to remind myself not to buy any jewelry when I go to visit him...
ChangYai (2 stories) (8 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Thank you for reading. I wasn't sure if anyone would read this. I also had a limited time to write my story. Many more things happened during this event and after. I will try to answer some of the questions.

Has anything happened since you gave the amulet back?

Yes. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong (losing money, constant accidents, choking on food, being attacked by random animals, etc.) When my girlfreind came back from Sisaket, she took me to a monk for a blessing and to make merit. It seems to have worked a little.

Can you even give something like that back, or would that offend the baby spirit even more?

Yes you can. Many of the KumonThong amulets are very old and change hands many times. The more "haunted" one of them is, the more desirable it is to the buyer. I think I made it's value go up even more when I told them my story.

Entombed souls of babies? They sell that in an open market place? And pray tell, what else have they got to offer? Can you get separate body parts too? And where do they get these things? Who makes them?

They are made my Arjan, or monks. They offer many amulets for personal power. It is a very common practice in Thailand. They are made from the soil of seven graveyards (a similar practice in Paolo Mayombe), and the aborted, or still born fetuses in Thailand.

I may add: Abortion is ILLEGAL in Thailand. They have the 2nd highest teen pregnancy rate in the world. There are scandals about temples that are found with thousands of fetuses in them. Abortions continue, and disposal of the bodies is a crime. It seems that the practice of making them into "Ghost slaves" is an extension of that.

Exactly who makes up the market for such a thing?! Other than people like you who don't understand what they are getting, who buys them?

Well, I was ignorant at the time. Here is a creepy cartoon for kids that you can sing along with that explains the KumonThong:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9rE8r13nU

Many successful business people in Thailand have DOZENS of KumonThong and "Lok Grok" which is similar to a KumonThong. They have a full time staff who's job is to care for the amulets.

FYI. THEY EVEN SELL THEM ON EBAY!

Http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kuman+thong+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=kumonthong&_rdc=1

Interesting, to say the least. How many people were present when you returned the ammulate?...you used the term "all" of the people nearby... Were they all people who worked at the shop?

There was the seller, and about five of his friends talking to him behind the counter. There was also the neighboring food vendors (this was a busy market). I gather that they talked and know the story.

I now wear a Kuhn Paen amulet. Kuhn Paen was a Thai folk hereo, and created the first KumonThong from the fetus of his own son. I was told to wear the amulet as protection because they all revere him as the original "Master".

I will try to answer any other questions you may have. I wasn't expecting anyone to even read this.

I do write a blog about my misadventures in Thailand. Stop by if you get a chance. There are a few on there in this same genre.

Http://www.myweirdthailand.blogspot.com/
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Wow, what a fascinating item. I had never heard of such a thing. Has anything happened since you gave the amulet back? Can you even give something like that back, or would that offend the baby spirit even more? What a creepy experience all around! 😲
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
From the research I did online, it seems like the belief is that the spirits of these deceased babies/children are wandering around. People make these amulets and invite them to inhabit them. Then the people that have the amulets have to take care of these spirits as if they were real babies/children. In return, the spirits will help those taking care of them.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
What the... Entombed souls of babies? They sell that in an open market place? And pray tell, what else have they got to offer? Can you get separate body parts too? And where do they get these things? Who makes them? Just imagine the karma that person has to deal with at the end of this lifetime. And what punishment will that person receive in the afterlife for trapping babies souls into hard metal amulets for fun and profit?
Sounds like someone needs a new career counselor.
Just sayin'.

Jav
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Exactly who makes up the market for such a thing?! Other than people like you who don't understand what they are getting, who buys them? And who entombs the soul of an infant in an amulet? That is evil. Not to mention the vendor letting you buy it when you clearly did not understand, highly questionable morally speaking.

That said, I think it is most likely that such things bring bad luck because we believe, even subconsciously, they will. Though I certainly am not one to discount any folklore, I really hope they aren't really trapped souls.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Interesting, to say the least. How many people were present when you returned the ammulate?...you used the term "all" of the people nearby... Were they all people who worked at the shop?...otherwise, why would everyone know who the former ammulate owner was?

Kumonthong...sounds like an affliction you can get from cooking Indian food in your skivvies!

Lou
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Wow what a story! I always enjoy learning about other cultures and such. I'm just going to throw this out there, maybe it was all coincidence. Who knows.
sylunedarkchylde (6 stories) (26 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Whoa. That was really scary. I remember seeing that kind of amulet when I went there (in Thailand), but I never really knew what it was. Now I know I should steer clear from it! 😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: