You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Heavenly Scent

Real Ghost Stories

Heavenly Scent

 

It was September 2009 when the wife of the eldest brother of my father died of cancer. When she was still alive, she was known in their place because of her hospitality and kindness. She was also the closest to my mother among my mother's "aberat" (aberat is a term here in the Philippines used to call the wife or husband of your brother or sister-in-law, but some culture use this term differently) not only because their husbands are brothers but also they are a distant relatives. She was also known to be the kindest among the siblings in their family. Whenever we come in their house to visit, she would always hug me and whenever their visitors leaves, she always accompany them to their way going to the jeepney stop. Believe it or not, she died smiling and it made us believe that she's at peace.

One day during her wake, it was early morning and one by one, visitors are coming. The only ones who we're in the living room (where the coffin was placed) was me, my mother and my aunt's daughter. Suddenly we smelled a very beautiful indescribable scent of a certain flower. We all felt a very light feeling. My mother is kind of expert in flowers saying that the one we smelled was not coming from the flowers that were given and from the garden. My mother said that the scent is very rare. We don't know where it's coming from so my cousin was looking where the scent was coming from.

She opened a scented isopropyl alcohol and said that it's not from the alcohol. While I tried to smell if the flowers that were given from the relatives (even though my mother told me that it's not from the flowers around us) is the source of the scent just to confirm it was not from the flowers.

My mother also asked my cousin if somebody used any perfume or cologne inside the house but we never found any cologne or perfume. The scent lasted for 4-5 minutes. We all look at each other saying it might be a sign that her spirit was there that time.

Other hauntings by Akatsuki07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Akatsuki07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-26)
I also have the same experience. I submitted it but hasn't been approved for posting yet. A scent that is relaxing.
kristina_marquez (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-07)
Hi Akatsuki07,

The rare scent may have been coming from your aunt. Aside from apparitions, this is usually how dead people make the bereaved relatives show that they are present. Just like my grandafather, I forgot that it was his death anniversary that day when I came home from work. He made me aware of his presence through the scent of his perfume (the one he uses after taking bath). I know that it was him because my father doesn't use this perfume. Then I remembered that it was his death anniversary so I offered prayers for him. I thanked him though for not making any appearance. I think he knows that I'll get scared if he does. Hehe

Thanks much,

Kristina =)
duwag (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
talking about smell, so my uncle (my dad's sister's husband) died and in Philippines, we celebrate 40 days after burial with prayers and gathering. So it was my uncle's 40th day and my dad wanted to go to Batangas (that's where they are from) but my mom refused thinking its too much traffic. They argued, I remember because my dad really wanted to go. Finally, my dad left the house to pick up my other sister from work. Suddenly, there's this smell of candle! Our apartment was small, so you can tell that it came from living room, going to kitchen and my mom started looking for candles, asking to bring her all the matches, the candles, checked the stove and when none of those were lit, she started talking to the wind "ok ok pupunta na kme sorry na" then the candle smell was gone!
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
It's always been interesting to me how important the sense of smell is in our memory. And I think the "average" person doesn't normally associate that particular sense with paranormal activity as much as sight and hearing.

Thanks for the story. I can't say I've had an experience like it!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
This a simple yet great story of your uncles wife coming back to visit you once more. You should feel very blessed to have witnessed it. I myself experience the smell of my Grandmothers perfume a few times every year, it is a wonderful feeling.😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
"wife of the eldest brother of my father" Why didn't you just write Uncles Wife? Lol

The above really wasn't a question. Sorry, I just found it a funny how long you made the word Aunt.
Its been a long day at work and I think I maybe over tired cause I'm finding funny things (that are prob only funny to sleepy me) left and right which is a sure sign of needing some R&R.

CHEERS!

MM
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
I think this is a lovely story and very sweet of her to let you all know she loves you and to let you know she is watching over you all, thank you for sharing such a lovely story 😊
Akatsuki07 (5 stories) (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
[at] sylunedarkchylde, I'm from the northern part of Luzon, and I'm half Ilokano and Cordilleran. I always hear this terms from my parents, aunts and uncles. I think the term "aberat" originated from Ilokanos.
[at] zeta: thanks:)
[at] stephyw2001: when we smelled the scent, I was like a dog sniffing around looking for something hehe!
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Scents are notorious for being attached to spirits, even newly deceased ones. One of my uncles... Many many years ago passed away. He was a smoker and always lit his cigarettes with matches from a matchbox. He was the only one who smoked in the house. After he passed, for many years... Every once in awhile there would come the smell of a newly lit match. We felt as if it were his way of saying "i'm still around." Your story is amazing because this seemingly beautiful spirited woman let you know immediately that she was still with you. What a blessing! Zeta.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
I smell phantom smells too. And I do the same thing you did, open every bottle, sniff around the house like a bloodhound. Sometimes I have no clue where certain smells come from! I'm just happy for you that it was a really nice flower scent! How terrible it would have been if it were something funky 😢.

PS Akatsuki... I like Naruto too. 😳
sylunedarkchylde (6 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
The same happened when one of my cousins died. He had a cologne that he always wore, that we would instantly know he was in the house because of the smell of his cologne.

On the first five anniversaries of his death, my aunt always told us stories that they would smell his cologne for a few minutes. Like geetha said, maybe my cousin also would like them to know that he was there, and not to feel sad about his passing through the scent of his cologne.:)

Btw, I'm from the Philippines too, but this is the first time I heard of the term "aberat". Which part of the Phils are you from? 😁
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
It must be nice to get acknowledgement from a loved one after they passed. I think she must have liked all three of you to let her presences known though smell.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: