You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Barking Dog, Siren And A Plea For Help

Real Ghost Stories

Barking Dog, Siren And A Plea For Help

 

So, I have been reading a lot on this site but have never submitted my own story and why I believe paranormal things can be real. This might be long but I want to get it all out now.

My first experience happened about 13 years ago. I was 11ish at the time. I used to live in Southern California and we didn't have AC and it was summer. It was so hot that at night I would leave my window open to get some cool air. Let me try to explain where my room was located, it is difficult for me because I would rather draw a picture... This is sort of important to the story. The window to my room was blocked off by a wall that cut off the front yard and the neighbour's yard. So it was kind of enclosed in its own little area. There were always lots of leaves and tall grass by my window because it was just its own little area that no one cared to clean up or mow.

One night I woke up because I heard a siren in the distance. I didn't think much of this and started to fall asleep again, but then I heard a dog barking off in the distance too. It is very hard for me to sleep if I hear a lot of noise so this woke me up completely. This was going on for about 30 seconds more and then I heard something as if it was walking down the little path to my window. I could hear the leaves swishing around (not crunching under footsteps or anything) and the tall grass blowing as if it was windy. I started to get this strange feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. I REALLY remember that feeling, it was an awful feeling. A moment later I heard this voice. I am not sure if it was a man or a woman's voice, maybe even a child? It was right outside of my window. It said "Hello? Is anybody there? Can you help me?" It kept repeating stuff like that for about 15 seconds. The voice sounded strange and like it had an echo of a sort or something. I didn't say anything; I was way too scared only being 11 at the time and all. Eventually, it sounded like that voice faded UP into the sky, not like it walked away... But UP. I don't know if you understand what I mean, but I sure do because I remember like it was yesterday. I know I wasn't dreaming because I stayed awake with my blanket over my head for the rest of the night.

After that night, I slept with my window closed for about 2 years. I didn't care how hot I was. One day I thought to myself that I am just so silly and that nothing is going to happen again. So that night I opened my window and went to sleep. Sure enough... I woke up and heard the siren in the distance. Then the dog... Then the sound of the leaves and grass swishing around. I heard the voice again. It said something different this time, but kind of the same thing. "Can you help me? Please, help me! I need help!" Again, I was way too scared to say anything. It faded up into the night again and this time I bolted from my room and slept on the couch in my parents' room. Well my window stayed shut for the next few years until I moved into my brother's room when he left to the military. I never had a problem in that room and I slept with the window open all of the time. The thing is, anyone could walk up to the window in my brother's room and try to scare me because it faced the front yard but nothing ever happened. The window in my old room was blocked off. Weird.

One other experience that I will share kind of scared me also. I was just sleeping with my blanket over my head. My parents were doing something to my room (the same room where I heard the voice) so my bed was in the middle of it. Now, the house is sort of old so when you walk on the floor it moans and groans if it is fresh in the morning and no one has walked on it all day. So there I was, just trying to sleep but I felt a little uneasy about something. Then I heard as if someone was walking slowly around my bed, and I got that same feeling of fear and dread... I didn't look and I waited hours until my dad came to check on me in the afternoon because I was too scared to get up. I KNOW something had to be there. It was really creepy.

One thing you all should know is that an old man had died in my room previously. I don't know if that means anything, since the voice I heard didn't exactly sound like an old man... I don't even know what it sounded like... Human but...what?

Anyway, those are my experiences in that house, I have other experiences but I have written a lot already and I don't want to keep going. If anyone has any suggestions as to what this may have been feel free to tell me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anbre, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Anbre,
First I want to give you my warmest regards and say that I'm so sorry you lost your father. And at such a young age too. 😢
Second, living in Southern California and no AC? Oh honey I know just how you feel! I was born and raised there, but my family moved up to Big Bear when I was about 10 years old, so I didn't suffer quite as long as you had. And then to sleep with your head under the covers too? You are much tougher than I would have been, I can promise you that.
Now,about your experiences. I'm of the same mind as taz about the voice outside your window. Especially when you add the siren and barking dog. Plus you heard it a second time. It seems residual to me. And the footsteps could have been the result of the work being done on your room at the time. That seems to bring folks back to see what you are doing to their old place. And with time and patience they eventually (hopefully) fade away to wherever they were before they were awakened.
The vortex your brother saw is also fascinating.
Thank you so much for sharing, this was a nice change, and a good read. I hope you will bring us more of the same in the future. 😊

Jav ❤
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
Thanks for the reply Anbre. So many times people submit stories and then never go back to them... To update or answer questions, etc.

I know that dogs can sense a lot of paranormal before humans can. Sorry about your dad... I just lost mine not too long ago but I am a lot older than you were at 16. I do believe that your father was looking out for you. I think that there was definitely something going on in the house, more than a residual haunting.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
Oh I totally agree with Taz that the siren, dog and voice would be a residual haunting like it was in a loop from a moment in time.

And that the old man was having a peek at the work being done in his room.

This house sounds like it gave your family some interesting times I look forward to hearing more 😊
Anbre (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
Hi guys!

Thanks for reading my entry. I've always wondered what this was for many years. I've told my mom about it and she just thinks I'm "crazy" and that "it didn't happen". She wasn't there, she doesn't know. I am very reluctant to tell people about all that stuff because of how my mom reacted when I told her years ago.

[at] Taz - I never thought of it like that. If I had maybe I would not have been scared for so many years! That's a very interesting take on the situation and I thank you for your idea of what it maybe was.

[at] Zeta - No, I do not live in that house anymore. I live in Canada now, far away from that house. I must say, I am glad I don't live there anymore. Whenever I was in the back of the house where my former room was I ALWAYS felt uneasy. As for other encounters of weird happenings... About a year after I heard the voice the first time we got a dog. I would bring him to my room sometimes, he never liked being in there really. I stopped letting him in my room after he would start growling and barking at the corner of my room all of the time. It scared me. I spent as little time as humanly possible in there after my dog started doing that.

I talked to my oldest brother about the house because I was talking to my mom (years later) about that voice I heard again and she said that my brother thought the house was haunted. So I asked him what his experiences were. He used to live in my room when he was 8 or 9 (I wasn't born yet) with one of my other brothers. They had bunk beds. He said one night that he woke up because he felt strange and he looked over the side of the bed and saw a small vortex like portal. He said he watched it for a minute and then it slowly vanished. He also said once he was home alone and the blinds in the living room all started to move and wave as if the wind was blowing through the windows (we kept the windows closed during the day because we had no AC remember? To keep the cool air of the evening in as long as possible). After my parents built on to the house he moved into the old master bedroom and he said he would often see a figure of a person standing in the hallway by the door to my room. He always had to have his door shut at night because of this (it scared him). I haven't talked to my two other brothers and if they had any experiences.

As for the plea... It sounded rather calm. Kind of like it just wanted a response. It wasn't urgent. I haven't ever done any research but I'm going to tomorrow night when I have time. All I know for sure is that a man had died in my room.

Also, my dad died when I was 16 and for the last year that I lived in that house I felt safer, as if my dad was looking out for me and my family. I don't know, that could have just been me having wishful thinking since I missed him a lot.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Hi Anbre:

Intriguing story. I am not sure what to make of it. Do you still live in the house? Has anyone else in the house heard or felt any paranormal? Was the plea for help a "desperate" plea or a sort of "mellow" plea. It seems to me that there could have been an accident or something around that property. Was there any crime committed in the area? Have you done any research? I know these are a lot of questions but for some reason, this story "haunts" me, no pun intended.

Update if you can, thanks...zeta.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
hi there anbre this is a very interesting story and has really got me thinking.
Firstly thanks for posting it.
Now I want to say it could be residual like a tiny loop in time replaying it's self when the conditions are right. Even though you say the voice said 2 different things it did start exactly the same way and ended the same way too, so it is possible that you just heard the next thing the person said the second time round. A bit like puting a cd on pause then playing it hours later from the begining but skipping a few seconds (hope that makes sense)

Now as for the footsteps in the room that could have been the old man popping back to see what the changes your parents were doing to "his" room.
It does happen, people pop back to check up on things from time to time usually when they were very attached to something or somewhere like a home.

I hope you post more I enjoyed this one a lot will be adding to my favs
All the best
Carl

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: