You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Spooky Compliment

Real Ghost Stories

Spooky Compliment

 

Back in '78, my friend Dave was living with his future wife on Washington Avenue, in Lorain; it was an upstairs apartment, part of a divided house.

We were somewhat used to strange things happening, as we all were interested in the occult to varying degrees. So, when things started happening around their small apartment, they were taken in stride.

The entranceway to the living room seemed to be a focus for activity- there was a constant cold spot there, regardless of ambient temperature, and the scent of an old-fashioned perfume (which Stephanie never wore) could often be smelled in that spot. Also, their cats seemed to be drawn to it, often walking around it in a circle, as if waiting to be petted or picked up.

Objects would vanish from their usual places, only to turn up in plain sight somewhere else. Dave and I, coming up the back stairs one night, saw a translucent cat standing on the porch looking down at us... It ran to the railing, and vanished.

The strangest thing that happened to me was this...

It was a Friday night, and I was going to crash on their couch, as Dave and I had some stuff to do the next morning. The couch had one end up against the living room wall, so that if you entered the room, you walked parallel to the back of the couch, to about the center of the room. When I lay down, my head was at the end by the wall, and I could hear Dave and Stephanie in their room, talking. The streetlamp outside the window gave a dim glow to the room.

I became aware of a presence in the entrance... I could see nothing, but I could plainly feel it. Whatever it was moved along the back of the couch, around the end, and up the front until it was right near my head. I wasn't frightened, perhaps a bit unsettled.

Then, it spoke, in a whispery, feminine voice,

"He looks so nice laying there".

The presence faded, leaving me with a question...

WHO was it talking to?

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aya22 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
What an interesting experience! Perhaps it spoke to you because it knew you were fully aware of it, as an affirmation of its presence. Who really knows? But definitely a spooky experience nonetheless. An eerie reminder that you weren't alone.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-11)
You said, "I don't believe that the dead return, but that such manifeststions are demonic; this was not my view at the time."

Why do you believe that (I assume all) "manifestations" are demonic? I guess I have to also ask why you initially did not have that view as well. What made your views change? I've read most of your stories and you rarely, if ever, mentioned anything as being demonic.
BeautifullyScarred (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
I agree with everyone else who commented... She was probably either talking to herself about you or if the ghost cat was hers then maybe she was talking to her cat... Either way she seemed to be kind of sweet... And I agree that the cats wouldn't have responded in such a possitive way to the entryway if the spirit was negative. Awesome story:)
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
You have a nice way of telling your stories. I like this one and I'm quite certain that this spirit was talking about you but the bigger question is, as you state, who was it talking to. Well, my guess is there was another spirit or the cat was with the first spirit. I don't know about other people, but I talk to my dog all the time. 😁 zeta
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
stephyw2001: I don't believe that the dead return, but that such manifeststions are demonic; this was not my view at the time.

I will never forget the look of the cat on the porch-like milk glass come to life.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
To answer some of your questions...
This took place over thirty years ago; the house is still there-go to Google Maps, and type in "17th Street and Washington Avenue, Lorain, Ohio", and the house is near the northwest corner of the intersection.

Dave and Stephanie parted company years ago, one year to the day after they moved in together, six months to the day after they wed. (Ah, the 70's...)

The voice was definitely not Stephanie (or Dave, FTM). If you've ever heard a ghost speak, you'll note that the voice sounds not-quite-right; I can't really explain.

FANNY- Hope you managed to catch up on your sleep, hopefully without kicking your boyfriend silly.

As I mentioned, we tended to take such things in stride, provided they weren't too scary. Yes, I was able to get to sleep that night.

Basically, as strange as some of these experiences were, we all tended to accept them as real, even though we might not have an explanation for them.

FTR, the "Dave" mentioned in this story is the same guy as in the others. We've known each other for almost forty years now, and we've had a number of strange occurrences in our time together.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
What interests me about this story is the cats. They seemed to notice that "spot". There was also the translucent cat that vanished.

I think that we always tend to think of us first when there is a sign of a ghost around. But what about the cats? What if the cats were the ones haunted?

Try this scenario: A ghost cat was interested in Dave and Steph's living cats, so came to check them out. The dead owner of the dead cat came to retreive her cat, and noticed you sleeping. Thought you looked peaceful and made her comment.

I often wonder what happens to the pets that are left alone in a "haunted" house when the humans leave.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
It must have been really freaky hear something like that. If I were in your shoes, I probably would have told your friend that you would have met in the morning and left or if that wasn't possible I would have slept in his room. Now for some questions:

(1) You said that Dave and Stephanie were in their room talking. Could there have been the slightest change that Stephanie might have said that in a conversation with Dave? I'm not saying what you felt was real but could someone else said that at the time you felt the presence?

(2) Did you ever tell Dave or Stephanie of what you experienced? If so, what was their reaction and what did they say?

(3) With the writing of the story, I get the feeling that what was in your friend's home was not violent or scary. But I was just wondering if you or your friends ever do a blessing or cleansing of the house?

(4) Finally, how did you feel? Were you able to go back to sleep after that?
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Ok, I read this story yesterday and thought it was creepy but I didn't write a comment because I didn't have anything else to say.

Last night I had to sleep on the couch because my boyfriend was snoring like a jet engine and keeping me awake. All I could think about was this story, which made for very little sleep. Eventually I gave up and and tried my luck in bed again. I wouldn't be surprised of he woke up with a bunch of bruises from me kicking him!

Anyway thanks for scaring the crap out of me!

Best,
Fanny ❤
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
I would guess she was talking to herself (about you) unless you have perceived more than one spirit in the house. She sounds friendly - I don't think the cats would hang around in that entranceway as if they were waiting to be petted unless the spirit was OK.
Delsol (2 stories) (13 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Boogie! Perhaps she was talking to herself or her ghost cat.:-). At least she said 'nice' and not 'appetizing'!
louisem3471 (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
i have to say that's a nice story, until I read the end. Thats quite creepy, and I don't scare easily. I wonder though, have your friends felt or seen or heard anything since?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: