You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Shadow Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Dog

 

This happened in the beginning of September. It was really hot in the house and since the sun had set it was cooler outside. When I walked out my cat started meowing and purring, asking me to pick her up. I picked her up and continued into the yard following the little stone trail that I have in the back. At the end of my yard is a alley and a church. The alley is lit by a light and the church is an almost white green color and there is nothing between my yard and the church alley, its flat, so I can see everything clearly.

I walked out to the last stone that was part of the trail so that I could look up at the sky and enjoy the air. I stood on the last stone and pet my cat enjoying the cool air when suddenly my cat stopped purring and turned to look at the alley. Her ears twitched and she looked around as if she was seeing something. Confused I looked up and saw a shadow low to the ground in front of the church, (I could see the shadow against the church). At first I thought it was me so I waved my arm but my shadow was completely separate from it.

After I moved the shadow seemed to stand up on its hind legs and then I could see an outline of a dog head. It looked at me and then I was suddenly terrified. My cat suddenly started to shake and hide her head in my arm. I backed up really slowly, and went back inside of the house.

I haven't seen it since, but I also haven't been looking for it. I have been hoping it was just passing by since I didn't see it in my house just out in the backyard.

Other hauntings by Krit

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Krit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
Krit: It's cool!...I blame lysdexia for all of my mis-spellings and speakings too!... 😉 ❤
Krit (3 stories) (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
oops yeah sorry my bad it was SUPPOSED to be etcetera.
(I will now blame dyslexia for all my problems:)
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
Lol, thanks nysa! I was totally boggled! I kept reading and reading trying to figure out where the excretions came from, lol...now, I am NOT an expert on poo... But poo only comes in a finite number of forms, hahahaha I figured if she had poo, shed know what it was! Omg I need sleep, lol
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
I assumed it was a typo and it was supposed to be etcetera. At first I did wonder who suggested it was poo.
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
excrete? Can you please explain the use of the word excrete? There was no mention in your story about excretions of any type?
Krit (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
For those that wonder about the raccoon/mouse/possum excrete
That is actually what I thought it was at first but as I said the area is flat in front and there was nothing between me and the shadow.
As for it looking at me - if you watch the shadow of a dog when it turns its head towards you you can see both ears perked (that is what it looked like when it "looked" at me) only there wasn't anything there.
I don't know if my fear was my own or just form my cat because I was still trying to figure out what I was seeing until my cat started to freak out.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
oooh I like this story. I've had one of these creatures outside my house once. I felt him though I didn't see him. My theory of these beings is the were-wolf. From what I've been studying and talking to other people it is more feasible to think of a were-wolf as an energetic being. Not something that can turn from being a human into a dog. That is not possible. But being energetic makes sense. And being in Oregon would make sense too. I've heard these creatures don't like the heat. I don't know exactly how they feed from people's energy. They are very ellusive and they are not very nice. It is very good that you just backed away and went inside. The only other were-wolf I've considered would be the beast of bray road but that is a physical creature.

There is a lot out there we don't know about. The only thing I know for sure is that this was a dangerous experience and you were lucky to get away without much happening to you.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Krit,
Help me through my confusion... A shadow is a two-dimensional shape. Unless the "dog" had its head down facing the ground, how did you know when "it looked at you"?

Lou
darkfantum (44 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
black dogs are common all over the world and animels are sensative to paranormal activity
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
What I find interesting is your sudden fear. It sounds like you weren't afraid at first, just curious about what was casting the shadow. Do you feel you became afraid because you realized you were seeing a shadow that you couldn't find a source for, thus suggesting to you that it had a supernatural source? Or did you feel that when it noticed you it sent out a "back away from me" vibe, as animals sometimes do when they feel threatened (I am assuming a non-physical dog could do the same)? Also how do you feel about living stray dogs?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
krit - just a thought here, but is it possible that a mouse (I know you believe this to be a dog, sorry) or something other creature was standing in front of the church and casting the shadow? The closer to the church, the bigger the shadow would appear. You may not have been able to see the rodent or animal if it was small enough is the point I'm getting at. The farther away you are, the smaller a shadow is.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I have to side with Javelina on this one. Could there have been another source or light that could have made a shadow of a racoon or something show up on the side of the church like that?

Peace
JustCurious
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you sure this was not the shadow of a raccoon? Are there no other sources of light in the area that could have caused a shadow?

Jav

This comment from ghostlovers369 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

lynrinth (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Well, aside from the experience, I love how you love your cat. It's nice to read even alittle something like that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: