You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Facless Man And The Pendulum

Real Ghost Stories

The Facless Man And The Pendulum

 

Growing up, the paranormal was part of normal life for me. My mother and her mother and her grandmother and back, and back, have always been incredibly in-tuned with the spiritual realm through dreams, through tarot cards, and just in everyday life. Luckily enough for me - scaredy cat that I am - this trait skipped me and my younger sister, Nikole, inherited it. Therefore I have many stories to tell on this forum, but maybe only one or two will have happened directly to me.

This first story involves my Nikole. Always she has been sympathetic to the spirit realm but as she's gotten older she's learned how to hone it and use it more acutely. She is currently seventeen and she got her first crystal pendulum and what is essentially a giant, fancy stone Ouija board when she was about thirteen or fourteen. The pendulum is a stone or crystal that hangs at the end of a small chain and acts as the indicator for the board by swinging around and pointing to letters and 'yes' or 'no', it just has a stronger pull to spirits and Nikole finds it safer to use than a store-bought board.

Moving on, she received her first pendulum from my mother in a little black velvet, draw-string bag. It was a long, triangular and perfectly clear crystal. With it she and my cousins and both my friends and hers would sit in our mostly unfinished basement, burn the correct candles and converse with spirits. Mostly these sessions are harmless, the most eventful thing that happens is that sometimes the cupboards in the kitchen two stories above will open and shut and the dishes will vibrate. However, one time only Nikole and the most believing cousin we have, Carly, sat in the basement with Nikole's first crystal pendulum trying to see if they could pick anything up on a boring night in the summer a few years ago.

That night there happened to be a spirit near them who revealed himself to my sister as a faceless man. Not headless, just with a blackened face. They did not get to ask him much because shortly after he appeared the crystal swung out, the chain went taunt and stayed that way directly parallel to the floor. It was being pulled out straight with so much force that the crystal broke off the chain and flew across the room. The candles went out and Nikole and Carly ran from the basement more afraid than I can ever remember them being.

In the morning they went back to the basement to clean up from their session and to find the crystal and chain (which my sister had thrown in her state of panic and flight). Our basement is also storage for everything we don't use on a daily basis and is very messy with shoes and old toys and everything else you can imagine just lying around. Nikole and Carly first went down and put the candles and board away in the drawer of an old dresser my sister kept them in, and then started to search for the crystal and chain. They tore the place apart! Checked in every corner and under everything but could find neither chain nor crystal. They gave up and both objects remained lost for a long time.

A year and a bit went by and Nikole received two other pendulums and essentially forgot about her first one.

Last year around November my mom came home from work in the middle of the school day and found a little draw-string bag sitting in our front hallway. She picked it up and put it on the kitchen table and when Nikole came home she told her not to leave her pendulums lying around like that because someone could step on them and hurt themselves or break it or the dog might get a hold of it. Nikole was confused so my mom pointed to the bag on the kitchen table. This only made her more confused because her other pendulums are kept in a blue and a red bag, but this bag was black. Curious, she opened it and pulled out the very first pendulum she'd owned that had been broken and lost, except it was in perfect condition aside from a crack in the crystal that in purely internal and cannot be felt from the outside. We still have no idea who or what put it in the hallway.

Nikole refused to use it again and put it away in her room. I've moved out for university, so when my sister told me the story I thought it was the perfect subject for the tattoo that I wanted to get for her. I didn't have the money to get the tattoo at the time so it stayed stored in her room.

This summer I'd saved enough for the tattoo so I asked Nikole to get it out so I could bring it to the artist I wanted to do my tattoo so he'd have something tangible to reference. First she looked in all the obvious places she would have put it in her room, and when it wasn't there she searched every other drawer, box, bag and pocket in her room. Then she checked her drawer in the basement and finally we got my mom to search her room. It was nowhere in the house. The search started at the beginning of August and it's still continuing whenever I'm there. Since then Nikole has even rearranged and done a huge clean of her room. We cannot find it.

What I'm wondering is, what is so special about this particular pendulum that it keeps going missing. Or do you think maybe its disappearances are link to this faceless man. And I guess that opens a whole new avenue of questions about the faceless man himself. I'll check in with my sister to see if she's seen him since then and ask her about what she feels around him. I'm really open to any ideas you might have.

Other hauntings by JaymeAnne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JaymeAnne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tempe_Toxic (10 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-16)
I can't wait to read more of your things, if only my sister would open up and tell stories that have happened to her growing up with me as a sister. Also has your sister considered making an account as well? Also I love your writing style, it reminds me of something. I adore:)
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-23)
I think that interacting with any sentient being is akin to playing Russian roulette. Any person we come across could harm us. However, almost none of us avoid all contact with people as a result. Many people believe they have ways of protecting themselves so that an unpleasant or unnerving experience does not end life as they know it. I personally question many of those rituals of protection, but provided a person understands the origin of the ritual they use and agree with the philosophy behind it, I don't fault them for using it. In fact I applaud their common sense. When dealing with others it would be foolish to assume all are benevolent, but fortunately most interactions are not life- threatening or life-altering. This appears to be true whether speaking of the living or not. I believe that many, past and present, try to scare people away from seeking knowledge. Some because they believe they are protecting people, others because they want to preserve the status quo. I believe each person should weigh the risks and decide whether the knowledge they seek is worth the degree of risk they perceive.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
JaymeAnne,
I myself would not get a depiction of a crystal permanently affixed to my person, especially if it represents something that can initiate activity that obviously cannot be controlled. Also, I've got enough permanent scars without creating new ones.

Personally, I think that calling spirits intentionally in any form is spiritual Russian roulette; it is just a matter of time before you land on that full chamber and life as you once knew it, is over.

The faceless man is hiding the crystal for the same reason he tried to destroy it when he was summoned. Just like it was used to allow him through, he perceives it as the means to send him back.

And editors... What part of the human anatomy is the "fac"?

Lou
JaymeAnne (4 stories) (14 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
dustyisdead: Hi! I'm a total scaredy-cat, but the one time I sat in the seance circle in the basement it was actually a really good time. Not scary at all! If you know anyone who owns a pendulum try it with them before you get one yourself, maybe? And also, it was only my sister who saw him. He was behind my cousin. I'm not sure my cousin could have seen him had he been in her view. Plus, my sister has been seeing ghosts since before she knew what they were, so she wasn't all that scared.

Javeline: Thank you for that advice! I'll tell her to try that. There are a lot of old battery operated toys down there, but most of them are on their last leg, and the batteries have been pirated out of the rest of them for TV converters and the like. 😜
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
I've considered using pendulums in the past. I don't know if this story should encourage me or the opposite, lol.
When you say "he revealed himself" to them, I can't believe that didn't scare them enough to run, instead they made it all the way until the pendulum broke and the candles went out. An apparition revealing itself to me would definitely scare me more than the candles.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
JaymeAnne,
Welcome to YGS and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I agree with zzgranny that it may not have been the one for her, and the pendulum not "choosing" her makes sense to me.
I also like Nysa's idea about the faceless man taking it when he leaves.
I do have an idea why he may be faceless the times he has been seen. There is a theory, widely accepted, that for an entity to fully manifest it needs an energy source to sort of help it along. And the times he has appeared, I'm assuming, were in the basement with the lights out and the only source of light were the candles. Which brings me to think he had no real power source to draw the energy needed to fully manifest. The drawback being his faceless appearance. That in turn could be one of the causes of his frustration and him giving off the feeling of being angry.
It is just a theory, however, it has me wondering if there isn't a way to help him out some. Perhaps something he might draw energy from? Something with rechargeable batteries that can easily be charged after the session? A laptop? Cordless phones? Cordless electric drill? Anything that, once it's over, can be recharged.
Just a thought.

Jav 😉
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
It would be great if you updated us with any further details / insight she gives you.
JaymeAnne (4 stories) (14 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Nysa: Thank you 😊, but I haven't gotten the tattoo unfortunately. I kind of wanted that specific pendulum to go off. I could have found a picture of something similar, but in the end I decided I'd wait a bit to see if it turns up, and if it doesn't I'm going to use one of her other pendulums.
And maybe you're right about the faceless man taking it when he leaves. I see my sister this Friday so I'm going to talk to her about all the great suggestions I've gotten from the fantastic people on this site! ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Since she stopped seeing him it doesn't seem like the new disappearance is linked to the faceless man, but maybe he takes it when he goes away? It seems like it would not have come back to her if it just was not meant for her.

Just out of curiosity, did you get the tattoo based on a description, or are you waiting to see if it comes back? It sounds like a really awesome tattoo.
JaymeAnne (4 stories) (14 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Hello!

I am definitely going to learn more about him. I'm not sure how much my sister knows, but I know she's seen him a few times since, so maybe she has been able to gather a little bit more about him.

😊
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
JaymeAnne- I am more curious about the faceless man and him being angry, I wonder if he is faceless because he has forgotten what he looks like or who he is like amnesia? I would like to know more about him if you could ask your sister for more detailed info. Good story!

Champion
cheskatheproudpinay (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
hey, who knows, maybe the faceless man left the pendulum.:)
JaymeAnne (4 stories) (14 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
luckkyme: Thanks for your ideas! I'm not sure if she wants to be in contact with him, but I'll definitely suggest it to her.

Scorp2011: The reason I thought this particular pendulum would be good for my tattoo for my sister is that firstly, this was her very first pendulum, secondly, because that wasn't the only experience she'd ever had with it, thirdly, because it has a good story behind it and lastly, because when I asked my sister if she thought it was a good idea she said it was. It wasn't a scarring experience by any means, certainly much scarier things have happened to my sister. Not only that but being scared is one of my sisters favourite things.
Also, she can't keep it because we can't find it.

Zzsgranny: Wow! I'd never heard that before! That makes a lot of sense. I'm glad you told me that. The two others she has work much better for her and she likes a lot better, so this could very well be a huge factor in what happened and how it's gone missing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
JaymeAnne: I know a few people who use pendulums regularly, and from what I gather, the pendulum chooses you...It's possible that her first one, having been given as a gift, just wasn't the right one for her... Make sense?...Unless, of course, she was with your Mother at the time of purchase and that's the one that called to her?...

Thank you for posting, I love my pendulum! 😊
Scorp2011 (18 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
It seems odd you would want to give "as a gift" a permanent reminder of a scary incident and faceless man. Maybe it's just me, but I would not keep that pendulum at all.
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Hmmm angry and lost? I was going to suggest maybe he was just playing a game with her by hiding it but now I'm not sure, hah. He doesn't seem to be malevolent or trying to hurt her so maybe she could try talking to him and asking why he is angry or why he keeps hiding her pendulum? Hah, I wish I could be of more help, if I think of anything else I'll let you know. 😊
JaymeAnne (4 stories) (14 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Hello!
I spoke with my sister this morning and she told me that close after that particular seance she saw the faceless man twice more, but not since then. She also told me that he gave off feelings of being angry and lost. I hope this gives a little more insight. 😊
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Hmm interesting, I honestly don't know much about pendulums. I know you can use them to communicate with spirits but I haven't read as much about them as I have ouija boards. I would assume that it dissapearing would have something to do with the faceless man, that seems like it would make sense. Has she seen the faceless man since? Hmm... Its a very interesting story, I'd be interested to hear if anything else happens. Good luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: