You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Hunt At The Thackray Museum

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Hunt At The Thackray Museum

 

The Simply Ghost Nights team were very honored to be invited by the management of the Thackray Medical Museum to hold a ghost hunting event at this esteemed location, and for this kind offer we must thank the whole Thackray Medical staff for all their assistance in making the event run so well. And we hope to continue this friendship for many years to come.

This exclusive event certainly did not fail to live up to expectations regarding spirit the activity we may encounter, in the initial walk round the museum with our valiant ghost hunters the energies of everyone were certainly positive, this is something that the Simply Ghost Nights team have noticed the more positive energy and receptive to open up to their surroundings generally the more spirit activity our brave ghost hunters may witness or sense. With a packed house and the anticipation rising it was time to split up into smaller groups and go in search of ghostly communication at The Thackray Medical Museum.

In one vigil a group were listening and watching intently for tapping and to there amazement tapping started to proceed on request on the table, every time they tapped on the table the tapping would be copied by the unseen hands of a spectral resident of the museum. Terry witnessed the movement of dark shadows towards the far end of the room, and a significant amount of white light movement in the same area. The group watched in earnest as the light seemingly danced and grew in front of their eyes literally only meters from their faces, suddenly Clair then Emma very quickly screamed in terror to the shock of James and Matt and the rest of the group, both Clair and Emma nervously confessed that they had witnessed unknown to Stuart and in Clair's very own words 'a ball of light over Stu's head and then it disappeared into Stu's shoulder!'

This incident totally freaked Emma out so much so that she had to comforted by the helpful Mark; one of Simply Ghost Nights most experienced paranormal investigators. This episode of light phenomena was only the tip of the iceberg in our brave ghost hunter's endeavor for phantom activity.

In the large television room another group witnessed strange unaccountable light phenomena repeatedly moving in the room, and again there was not any reasonable answer as from where these mysterious lights were originated from. In this area most of the groups experienced some excellent table work, such as Ouija board and table tipping.

In the eerie replica street from Victorian times a group were again conducting a vigil when Clair screeched in terror as she claimed that a ghostly hand had stroked her back, with no one near her Clair found this totally bizarre and frightening. In the same area extremely loud bangs were heard on request again this amazed the whole group who listened intently for any spirit contact.

Jo and Steve were gob smacked to have picked up in one of their vigils the discarnate voice of a gentleman spirit on Jo's electronic voice recorder, as hardened ghost hunters and paranormal investigators this had them both delighted to have picked up a fantastic gem of hard evidence, of a possible ghostly voice from the beyond the grave of a supernatural resident of the museum.

Mel and Simon both mentioned that when whistling and asking the ghostly occupants to copy the whistle, the spirits duly obliged and a whistling noise was heard to be mimicked to the group, although the whistle was almost identical except for a lower timbre than the one Mel had done. It seems that whistling was just not confined to one vigil or group, Rosey also mentioned in the replica street that the whole group listened in awe as they too heard whistling being repeated back to them from a section of the area where nobody stood.

In some of the vigils K2 spikes were also prevalent when called out for on request, and also Karen, Tracey, and Julie considered the sight of a table tipping for the first time absolutely amazing and something they will not forget in a hurry they said.

In another vigil a group of ghost hunters experienced some fantastic Ouija board results to the fascination of Phil, Andy and Sarah, however this was not the only vigil to experience results with Ouija Mel and Simon described in a vigil how a group of ghost hunters had made contact with a spectral being at the museum. Lean, Sam and Jan all stated that the night had been a real eye opener with regards to paranormal activity that they had been privy to at this most haunted of locations.

On the whole it was a definitely a really active night for all concerned and as our brave ghost hunters made their way home, we all felt that the night was abound with so much activity that we could not possibly have anticipated so much and also as frequently. Although the majority of the activity is logged it has been really difficult to give justice to so much information we gathered, a case in point is the volume of whistling that was heard repeated back from the spirits of Thackray museum, the ghost hunters who felt the ghostly unseen hands touch them. Every team leader mentioned fantastic examples of glass divination on the Ouija board and table tipping. The amount of light phenomena recorded too by each group was also staggering, it was just one of those nights that we will talk about for years to come and we cannot wait for Thackray Medical Museum Part Two.

As Mark said at the end of the night it was as though the ghostly residents had been bottled up for decades and were released from their catacomb and were only too glad to communicate and participate in spirit contact as much as they could.

Other hauntings by Simplyghostnights

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Simplyghostnights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-26)
By the way, I didn't read the rules until you posted no Ouiji boards earlier in this post. Man, they do have a lot of rules don't they? I wonder why they are no tolerance to Ouiji boards or seances? Hmmmmm.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-26)
Heck Yeah Granny! 😊 I'm glad to hear you're all aboard! I can't wait until I can get my ticket. As soon as they post the availability in October, I'll get a hold of you and we'll plan our date to go.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
Oh I see, I am not surprised they are booked up. Thanks for the info 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
Nysa, it isn't any paranormal investigating group, I guess I should have clarified that...It's one of the Reformitory's ways to raise funds for upkeep... You can book private hunts, which is the plan 😆...They are booked for the rest of the year, and won't be taking any more reservations until October, for next year...Here's their website:

Http://mrps.org/pages/private-ghost-hunts
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
May I ask what group that is? I know of one investigative group in ohio which seems on the up & up, but I assume there are more.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
I'm planning on being part of the group that visits the Mansfield Reformitory with stephyw2001... It will be a group of hopefully at least 15 people...

The difference between SNG and the hunt we'll be attending is: their rules state "no seances", "no Ouija boards", etc... There will be no one guiding us around, telling us where the activity is, no table tipping, no one providing fodder for a paranormal experience...

Who knows, we may not experience anything... But I'd much rather do it that way than to be told some bullsh! T from some theatrical group...
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
I saw who wrote this story and just skipped it. I did not read it and I wont. What a waste of good story space.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Indigo;),
I'm glad we agree they are phonies and I can agree on the "why look a gift horse in the mouth" position... The reason I would not partake though, is that this is what these jokers do as a profession, at least part time.

You took your boss up on free tickets to an activity that had nothing to do with your work... Because after what your bosses put you through, any added benefit was worth taking. But the SGN cretins are giving guided tours in something they claim to be experts in. It would be like your bosses giving your kids free welding school training when they likely knew less about welding, than the welders you worked with.

For someone who has never had a paranormal experience, going to a "haunted house" to experience spirit activity is like taking a blind person to the movies. They'll sense random events, but you are still going to have to guide them to an interpretation of those events. And that is where the real sham is taking place with the SGN staff telling the guests what they are REALLY experiencing and inciting panic and performing outrageous behavior like some summer stock theatre group.

If you are sensitive, you don't need to go to a famous location to have experiences, and if you are not sensitive, do you really want your first experience to be a fake... Rhetorical question, no answer needed.

Now that I think about it, for $60 I'd go on a Simply Ghost Night Tour... That way I could say I was there for their last performance. Get ready SGN, I'm hopping the pond. I hope you have a good screening process for your guests. Please deduct the cost of the adult diaper from my entrance fee, I'm going commando.

Lou
darkfantum (44 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
hi I live the uk and I would to find out were you are based becuase I have knowlage on ghosts and ghost hunting equipment and would like to become a ghost hunter I live in north wales coast and would like to know if you have any hunts near

Darkfantum
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Woah, Kim saw an orb! And kevin had a hand touch him while tim watched the table tip! TOTALLY RAD!

BARF.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
You guys are so funny with your comments but its all true. But what can we do except not publish them on this site. If there was some kind police we could report to then I would probably be the first one there. They are FRAUDS. I was looking on their site and the information about booking a tour and the payment plan is really stupid. They say that we have to book in advance and if we ever decide to cancel we have to do it at 6 week before the show and only then would you get your money back. But the funny thing is, you don't get all of the money back only part of it and as time comes closer to the date, you get less and less of the money back until you don't get anything back. That's what I call BS.
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Lou. Well said and I can understand perfectly. I was merely thinking as an opportunist, penny saved is a penny earned and all that. I don't like these folks or the stupid way they behave either, they'll never be my favorites, and as we all know, they're fakes, no question about it! But if you can get a ticket in and a snack for a tenth of what a tour at some of the USA places? I say use these retards to get in then go off on your own.
Yes. They do treat the dead frivolously and disrespectfully, but they're doing that to the living too! They'll get the bad karma eventually.
I used to weld. I loved the job, but hated my bosses that disrespected everybody. Every year they'd give us free family tickets to an amusement park to take our kids to. Even though we all hated these jerks, we'd still take the tickets to sav money.

Of course these people are fake. Fake as a jackalope. We all know this. There is no debunking to do, lol. They're not doing one thing right or good, EXCEPT opening certain doors (not sure how
They did this exactly) People with any sense at all realize who and what these idiots are. All I'm sayin is as long as you don't have to associate or join their fan club, use the cheap ticket to go in without hangin with them and watching their ridiculous theatrical group.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
[at] Lou,
Well said my beautiful friend, well said.
Thank you putting it in words and feelings we can all understand.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I can't imagine having to spend 5 minutes with these jokers. But I also just don't see a group like this sharing their space either. Their egos couldn't take it! 😆 😆

Jav
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+7
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Indigo,

19 stories, six comments, enough said. We have tried to engage this poster on many a submission and they refuse. Anyone legitimate would do anything possible to legitimize their actions to the niche in our society that would be most supportive...us...the people who believe in ghosts!

I, and some other posters were able to debunk some of their activities just from viewing their website alone... I don't remember which story, but the comment threads should still be available. I support and commend you for wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt, but not only does this dog not hunt, he's gun shy as well.

I used to be a ghost hunter, so to speak, we actually waited for people to contact us who needed help, we did not charge a dime, and we actually did everything we could to help not only the clients, but the spirits. These bozos are duping the public and prostituting the spirit world for their own financial gain. Just because a spirit is earthbound doesn't mean it wants or deserves its space to be invaded.

The world is, and should be, preserved for the living... No question there. But pretend for a moment you lost a child... Would you want his/her spirit harassed by a--holes like this for any portion of eternity?

The spirit world should be respected the same way we should respect others in our society, and whoring them out for a hoax tour isn't my interpretation of respect.

Lou
Indigo (263 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
That's what I'm saying jav. It's like a free trip to the Bahamas for 4 days but you gotta attend 3 hour long meetings about time share in order to be eligible! If I had to spend a tenth of what I'd normally pay, and only have to watch a group of a$$ clowns to do it, why not? It's not like I'd be the one making an a$$ out of myself. Use these idiots to save money! Now... If I had to be with them all night long, on the other hand, with my temper the place would end up having a few more ghosts!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
These folks? You're kidding right? I just don't see these guys letting anyone in on their action. It may bring the tourists in for a night, but do you really think these guys are opening the doors to unfettered access? I highly doubt that.
Any place worth it's salt these days is going to charge up the a$$ for access, and as we've seen by what all the TV shows have shown us, NOBODY gets unfettered access.

Jav
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Jav---oh I understand! Lol, but if a clown could get most folks into waverly unsupervised sort of for 60$ cash? Hell yeah! I say go for it! I say we exploit them hahaha
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
What gets to me is that not everyone (sorry simplyghostnights) knows who you are or what you do. So to use names like Mark, Lean, Sam, Jan, etc., implies that "we" all, that is everyone on this site, knows you all. Sorry... I for one don't. If the Ghost Hunter team starts advertising on this site, I will know them on a first name basis. Sorry.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
These sites they go to also give tours to the public. That's how they maintain the site. Whether SGN does a show there or not is really inconsequential. The tourist trade makes up the bulk of what they spend on upkeep, it's always been that way. These guys are just cashing in on the latest fad.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
These folks are just using this site as free advertisement. I don't see how that is good at all. It makes a mockery of what everybody tries to do here if you ask me.

Jav
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I understand what you're saying Indigo. I myself am planning on checking out a supposed haunted location for a "ghost hunt" next year. I will pay money for access to the location overnight. They will give me a tour to aquaint me, provide me with hot cocoa and pizza, but then let me roam free until 5 am.

I think for the opportunity to check out this place for 9 hours legally and unsupervised is worth the money I'll pay. Plus, I also know that the money is going toward keeping this historical place in good order. So I don't have a problem paying a fee for use of a haunted location, no problem at all. I just think that if the whole ordeal was toured, and guided, that it loses its luster. The tipping of tables and such, I wouldn't be satisfied with that unless I was the only person touching the table (or anywhere near the table) when it flipped over.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
No, they're just clowns hun. They may be dressed differently, but they're clowns nonetheless.

Jav
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
You know, I've thought about this one for a minute. They're obvious fakes, frauds, phonies, charlatans etc, BUT...I've read their website. Although they do the silly table tipping etc, they do show the "fearless ghost hunters" how to use some pretty cool equipment (and some stupid ones) and all for roughly 60$ American! I suppose that if they're instructing folks and getting their attention, the people paying KNOW they're frauds, and will probably be more determined to go out and get their own equipment and go about this in the 'right' way. It also teaches the younger members of the believers in the paranormal realm what not to do, how to identify frauds, and also they probably won't need a cleansing afterward because I doubt anythings going to follow them home after one of these sessions.
In this day and age when even kids are highly analytic and intelligent, most serious ghost hunters etc are going to google and educate themselves... But they're also going to realize that for many of them, this may be the only chance they're going to have to experience some of these locations. I'd certainly pay my 60$ or 30
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
You know...it's getting a little tiring when you read a story and know that it's an ad for their so called "events".

I have also been following many of the stories by Simply Ghost Nights' stories and like BeautInside said, it is the same repeat with the exception of some name changes.

The only thing that is interesting is that they keep posting these stories even when they know that we don't believe them.

To all the posters,
Have you guys noticed that Simply Ghost Nights posted 19 stories here but only made 6 comments in his /their earlier stories but nothing since. This just goes to show that a person or group that can't support or at least try to explain / answer the question asked, their stories should be taken to heart.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Maybe I should be the last person to judge SGN as I only know what I read and what I was once told.
I don't know if that's caused by the excess of information or the way it's written, but a part from the location and a few names it feels all the same. Sorry 😢
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Tell me, how do you decide which team member gets the honor of tipping the table each "event"? Do you play rock paper scissors or something? I've visited your site. All I found was a bunch of vague pictures featuring museum exhibits, empty hallways, and a bunch of clever little con artists sitting around tables. I can't figure out why these people are allowed to market their scam on this site. If you are gong to spend money on these people, you might as well go visit a coin-operated genie-in-the-box. They are just as reliable. I mean seriously, the name of this group should be "Simply Fooling People."
stephyw2001 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Pffft. Table tipping is sooo outdated. Come on ghosts! Keep up with the times!
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
From what I can tell, every place they go is rampant with paranormal activity. No place fails to deliver an excellent round of table tipping. 😆
stephyw2001 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Interesting results on a Ouiji board? Funny, everytime I've played Ouiji with other people we get interesting results too! It just COULDN'T be the other players... NO! You know what would be an "fascinating result"? Video taped footage of a Ouiji board Planchette moving on its own. Now that would be cool. Wait... Damn they already did that on Paranormal Activity. Oh well, it was the best part of that movie after all. 😕 I can only hope when I go check out the Mansfield Reformory next year I get such "riveting" results too!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: