You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: In The Small Blue House

Real Ghost Stories

In The Small Blue House

 

Although my family and I have lived in a few haunted locations, theories about a familial curse type situation have been laughed off for the most part. My mother and I experience the majority of the phenomenon. In this submission I'm going to focus on my family's time at a rented house out in rural North Carolina, as these happenings aren't as severe as the haunting that took place later on at a different house.

I'm 27 now, so at the time of living there I was 7-15 years of age during the 90's. I'm only going to include events I remember clearly or my mother has told me herself during our late night discussions of our hauntings. I'll try to put them in chronological order as well.

-The earliest paranormal event was when my mother was sitting on her bed and my older brother and I came into her room to hang with her while we went through some photo albums. I was around 8 years old at the time. My mother says that while we were on the bed talking, my brother and I quickly looked up and out into to the hall at the same time. My brother asked "What was that little black man?" When my mom asked further what it was I then said "A little man in black ran through the hall and into the living room." She never mentioned it to us again, but my mom, unlike myself, is a Christian, and so later on she went from room to room with bible praying.

-While outside with my brother playing one day, I was probably ten or 11, I rounded the corner of the exterior of the house and directly in front of me was a large black pig. I know it sounds kind of goofy, but at the time I was terrified. I remember it very detailed to this day. I just stood there looking at me when a horrible stench to it and I just remember having the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach. It took all I had to run back in the house, because at that point my legs were like jelly. I told my mom and dad "There's a big pig outside, come look!" My dad came out and the pig was absolutely nowhere to be seen. My brother, who was on the opposite side of the yard said he never saw it. I know it's just an animal sighting, but I always considered that experience paranormal for some reason.

-The Lights. Both my mother and father, now divorced, have told me that at multiple times they would both be in the living room with each other, and small orbs or light would move out around on the walls and into different rooms. My dad said once he watched several lights circle my mothers head. They say they would try to see if it could be headlights, but not that many cars came down our road to begin with, much less at the same time the lights appeared.

-My mother complained of the couch constantly shaking or vibrating under her. A few times as I got older, I actually experienced the vibrating as well.

-In the living room, 2 doors would always slam one right after another. I said it was maybe the air pressure. But it would usually happen in the middle of everyone sitting down watching tv. And I mean these doors would slam so hard it shook the house.

-On two separate occasions we heard growling. It wasn't dog-like either. The only way I can describe it is like a human making a deep angry moan. While laying in bed, my parents would hear this noise under their bed, after checking to see if maybe one of the dogs got inside somehow, they found their room empty. Once my mom and I heard it while we were in the living room. We thought maybe it was my dad snoring, but came out to find that he was in the shower.

-Aside from all those occurrences, I just remember that a majority of the time in the house, if you were alone, you felt watched. My mother and I both had dreams involving shadowy intruders in the house. Years later my brother told me he had similar dreams. The house just had a very looming presence if that makes sense. I don't really know how to describe the feeling to someone unless they've lived in a house with similar happenings.

So... Those are all the tales from this particular residence. From this house we moved into another much older house that we purchased and actually MOVED the house itself onto some land we bought. Both the land and house ended up having some really interesting history. I had a LOT more personal experience with the house we bought rather than the one I just talked about. Soon I'll have that story up. I just have to get everything mentally sorted and prepare myself to discuss that stuff, because it was pretty traumatic lol.

So thanks for reading everyone.

Other hauntings by dustyisdead

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dustyisdead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
[at] pjod
I don't know, I've just read too many stories of suspicious behavior by the warrens to believe anything they say. One author, I believe the one that wrote about the "demon murders", complained that the warrens told them that everyone that contacted them looking for help was crazy and it didn't matter about the facts in the book, just to make it scary. So when you hear about that kind of behavior it kind of culls your trust in someone.

I grew up on horror movies. Instead of walt disney, we got george romero lol. So the amityville was definitely a staple in our household. Our copy of both the movie and the book were worn out from use. I hate to sound cliche, but they don't make em like they use to.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
hey Dusty,
I've been wanting to read up on some of the Warren's books. You really can't avoid their contribution to the "paranormal"...real or faux, their name comes up alot. More recently, John Zaffis, their Nephew, with his show (haunted antique collector) I actually enjoyed that show... There is a comical edge to it, even if it wasn't intended.
If you grew up during the 70's, the Amityville Horror (movie) most likely had some impact on you. Those scenes with the daughter scared me.
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] charisma
Really? You should submit your story. I love hearing from other people that grew up in haunted houses like I did. It certainly stays with you even as you get older.
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] Pjod
Haha, you know I thought about Jodi when I was typing my story. My mom was a big Amityville fan, and even thought I've finally gotten her to realize that the movie was not true, maybe that's where she got her "evil pig" theory.

And even though it was a hoax, I still really love the book and the movie.

I love reading books by the Warrens also, even though I think they're a bunch of frauds. Their books are fun to read if you want to be scared, just pretend they're fiction lol.
charisma1 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I know what it is like to grow up in a house like that! THe house that I grew up in had a lot of things going on in it.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
could be from the New Testament... When Christ expelled demons into a pack of pigs. Maybe that is where the whole "scare" factor comes in. Don't forget the Amityville Horror, where the little girl had a demonic pig (Jody) haunting the family.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Wow...pigs freak me out more than anything, I don't know why, they just do. I love this story simply for the scare factor of running into the pig on the side of your house (all though, I'm terribly sorry that happened to you!) this is going into my favorites 😊
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
I appreciate everyone's interest in my story. Especially since I didn't think it was too interesting myself. I submitted another today, which was more recent and detailed because I remember it better.


[at] Javelina
That's actually a really good theory. I've heard of animals leaving behind their spirits, but I always am quick to attribute them to something more sinister or folklore-based in nature. You're right though, it could just be the ghost of a pig.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
this is a great story, I am looking forward to hearing what other happenings you have experienced 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
dustyisdead interesting post thanks for sharin😊
Loking forward to your next one
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
dustyisdead,
Interesting account of your experiences. Myself, I'm wondering if the pig was just that, in spirit form of course. You stated that it was a rural area even when you lived there, so it stands to reason that perhaps it may have been part of a farm at some time? It would make sense to see the pig, especially if it were a "Prize Pig/Hog". It would have been treated differently and had a more 'stoic' attitude or nature to it. If that makes any sense. But it would have held a place of honor around the farm.
That's about all I've got, sorry.
Thanks for sharing, can't wait for your next one.

Jav
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Like the others, I enjoyed your account in this particular house and I can't wait to hear from you with the rest of the stories. I'm a Hindu by birth and in our culture and that of Islam, we don't eat pigs because we consider them the dirties animals and on the hand, we also don't eat cows (beef) because we consider the cow to be the holiest animal because it only eats things like grass but then it would give us milk and other things. Other cultures have different thoughts and opinions on various animals so like you said, it's all in one's mind and how their perceive it.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Can't wait to read the other stories to come. I'm with Mountaineer. I really enjoyed how you wrote your "first" story accurace by accurace and not like a story book.

😁
Cheers,
MM
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Nice story dusty! I too am interested in hearing more from you! That's awesome that you moved the actual house. I remember seeing that done on tv before. That alone could very well shake up some ghosts! 😊
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Really enjoied your story; you kept it simple but with all the necessary details. About the pig, it's very interesting and though it's common to find it in remote areas I agree that it can have a lot of meanings. Usually, black animals are also associated with dark forces, maybe your mom wasn't so far from the truth. It could have been really just a pig, but it could have been something else...

Looking forward to your next story. 😁
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
[at] mountaineer
Everything's cool, no worries. I don't do grudges.

[at] Nysa and renneespring
About the pig, it does seem dumb and silly to mention it. I should mention is wasn't a wild boar or anything, more like a very large hog. I'm sure they could be out in the wilderness and this house has definitely rural. It was just very stoic, and I remember it looking right at me, not 10 feet away and snorting. It smelled like filth (rotting food and pig feces), however growing up out in the country, I knew pigs don't smell that great so it could just be it's natural odor.

I looked online to see what pigs symbolize and it ranges all over the spectrum. So take your pick and it could mean whatever you want. My mother told me after I saw it that pigs were evil familiars. My mother is a bit nutty sometimes too though. I just know how it made me feel. And I've learned to listen to those same feelings my whole life and have yet to be let down, so maybe there's something to it.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
That is an interesting thought Reneespring. If "something" shows itself as an animal or an inanimate object, is it communicating symbollically either purposely or not? Generally when seeking the symbolism of a thing you can tell what it is by considering how the word or image is used in life. For most Americans a pig will represent gluttony, fertility, dirtiness, etc. As well as the symbolism of Judeo-Christian mythology. Though you feel a little silly including a sighting of a pig as part of an account of the unexplained, I find it the most interesting detail.
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Good story Dustyisdead, hope to hear more from you soon. I have found that writing about my own experiences, traumatic or not can be very therapeutic.

Mountaineer: I have great respect for you, you sound like a very switched on and mature teenager! 😁
reneespring (148 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
Wow...that's a lot for your first story, I wonder what the *worse house* will be like! Geeze! Funny thing about pigs, in some ways they are just normal animals, and holy in their own way. But sometimes dark beings seem to like to use pigs as a symbol of corruption and of evil presence. Maybe cause in the Old Testament and in Islam, they are considered to be unclean. I like pigs myself, and respect them as animals to be loved and cared for, but I think sometimes dark presences use them as symbols.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+7
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
Interesting story. And I like the way you wrote it; not a novel, just the facts and a few necessary details. About the disagreement (s) we had the other day: I apologize for my behavior. I was fuming after a day of high school drama and you had the sour luck of being the main one I vented on. I am not going to do that ever again, I'm embarassed of myself. (extends hand)...No hard feelings? 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: