You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: 5 Years In A Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

5 Years In A Haunted House

 

In my previous story I told about the house we rented with various little occurrences. After about 8 years in that house, my parents purchased a two storey white house built in the year 1900. This will be a little lengthy, so I apologize in advance, but I'm just trying to get it as accurate as I can.

The owners of the house said that the house was built by a doctor, who was a relative of one of their great grandfathers. He built the house for a woman he loved who he was dating at the time. The woman sadly didn't end up marrying him and instead married a soldier. The doctor never married anyone in his lifetime but still lived in the house and actually used the bottom part of the house to practice medicine as the town's local doctor. I've asked my mother his name, but she never asked the owner of the house so we never knew. The owners of the house were living in a trailer behind the house and were trying to sell it for a while so they could make room on the land to build a new house. They were actually going to tear the house down when my mother contacted them about purchasing it. My parent's paid 6,000 dollars for the house.

We actually moved the house itself about 10 miles down the road to some land we purchased. The land we purchased, and actually all the land in that 15 mile block, was once a moonshine bootlegger trail back during prohibition. Behind the house the trails are still visible and you can find glass everywhere along the trail.

In my opinion, the history of both house and the land, coupled with the moving of the house and developing of the land, all contributed to the intense haunting that increased in activity in the five years that we lived there. I'm going to list the occurrences in no particular order. Keep in mind that after 3 years there, my parents divorced and my mom moved out and my dad spent all his time with his girlfriend. My brother was in college. So in the last 2 years I was pretty much living there alone, aside from one summer when my boyfriend lived with me and when my brother came back one winter for a few months.

This took place from late 1998 to late 2003.

- A major phenomenon in the house was the voices.

Once, my mother was upstairs in the hall and I was in my room about 10 feet away. I heard a very loud "hey" from out in the hall. So I came out of my room and asked my mother what she wanted, she said she heard the "hey" as well and didn't know where it was.

I'm a musician, and after learning a very difficult piece of music in my room on my keyboard, I heard a very loud "Great job!". I didn't feel scared, but pretty amused. I responded "Uh, thanks..." what else could I say?

Later, when the hauntings increased, I was in the kitchen and heard my name called 3 times in a row by 2 distinct voices, followed by a door slamming about a 1 foot away from me. This was followed by whisper after whisper. This was probably the most scared I ever was in the house. I was alone, and it was very late. I felt very watched and actually spent the night in my car.

In the surrounding woods, talking and laughter was heard by both my father and myself.

-Things moving were a rare occurrence, but a few things did happen.

My boyfriend and I would be in the living room, both on separate couches, and we would sit there and literally watch every curtain (5 of them) in the room slowly close, one after another. We were never scared, just amazed.

Also, since we had a window unit air conditioner, we kept all the doors open throughout the house for circulation. After opening all the doors one day, we left for work, and had to turn right around to pick up some keys. Every door in the house was closed.

-Lights.

In the surrounding woods, I constantly saw orbs of light wandering around in the trees. My dad told me he saw the same thing.

Once while I was in bed, a blinding light woke me up from the corner of my room. As soon as I opened my eyes, it disappeared in a few seconds.

Small bursts of light were frequently seen in my room. Like little sparks from a cigarette lighter. They left you with a happy feeling. I should mention at this time, I was around 16 and experimenting with my occult phase. Specifically, I was interested with creating and contacting energies and spirits from nature. Maybe there was a connection? These days I'm not religious at all, but I guess it's something to consider.

-Apparitions and shadows were seen more often than we'd like lol.

My mother said that for the last year she lived there, she would be sleeping on the couch in the living room, and every night at around 2 or 3 am, she would see a black mass at the ceiling in the adjacent dining room that would undulate while black scarf-like shapes would flutter in and out of the mass. She said it terrified her and she couldn't sleep or take her eyes off of it. After about 2 or 3 hours it would go away. I would really like to hear people's thoughts on this.

I've had several friends tell me they've seen shadows and curtains move in the house while waiting for me to come to come out to their car. I was alone at the time, but there's always a small possibility it could have been me, but the locations never matched up. For example, I would already be outside when they would see the curtains upstairs shift as if someone was peering out at them.

Once, while in my room, I was attempting to get a video camera to work. When I brought the viewfinder up to my eye, I clearly saw the shape of a woman in my doorway. It was an old camera, so the image your saw in the lens was black and white and slightly blurry but it was clear what it was. This scared the HELL outta me. I brought it down and didn't see anything in the doorway. I tried to pretend I didn't see anything so as not to give whatever it was the satisfaction.

Almost everyone who's lived there at some point, between our friends and family, have seen shadows and heard and seen doors close. Usually the person was alone.

-Random things...

My boyfriend, who thought I was full of it until he moved in, had a strange sleep paralysis experience in the middle of the day while we were watching TV. He told me he clearly felt choked, while he heard "Adam" whispered to him. He said that earlier he dreamed about an Adam. He didn't tell me this. I had a similar dream about an "Adam" while living there. After that dream, I entered a raffle for a free used upright piano. I won the raffle (woohoo!), and when the piano arrived the manufacturer was, I swear to God, "Adams". I still own it.

We babysat a little girl, about 2 at the time, who constantly would point to the dining room and say "Who's that man? Who's that man?". She would just stare in the room sometimes also. The cats also stared into the room near the ceiling. The dining room had a creepy feeling to it.

Once, during a hurricane, we had some friends and family over that lived in mobile homes. We were all sitting around telling some personal ghost stories when a picture flew off the mantle. No one said a word about it and we stopped telling our ghost stories.

There was tons and tons more. I could go on forever but I'm won't. Eventually the ghosts were just part of the background and I wasn't scared. But during the last year there, things were getting more extreme and more blatant. I felt threatened quite a few times there. The last time I went in to grab the last few boxes of mine, I felt extremely nervous and left ASAP.

After my parent's divorce my dad eventually sold the house. I moved far away from the house and haven't been back to my old hometown since. My Dad did mention the new owners were having some trouble with "people" making noises outside the property, whatever that means, but he hasn't kept in touch. I still have vivid nightmares about this house. I was pretty scared several times, and I'm sure it scared me more than I know. I have no desire to go back there.

So that's my other story about another haunted house I lived in. Cheers.

Other hauntings by dustyisdead

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dustyisdead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Para-Chaser (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-20)
Paranormal chasers is located in eastern nc. They have some special equipment to conduct a proper investigation
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-02)
[at] caligirlinnc
Hey, sorry I rarely get on this site anymore because i'm so busy these days.
No, this wasn't in new bern. The house is in stanfield nc on harvell road. I don't know who is living there now so I won't give the actual street address, I haven't been there in over a decade. It shouldn't be hard to spot though, it's a two story wooden white house that looks fairly old. I may ride by it one day and see what it looks like these days.
caligirlinnc (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-29)
Did this happen to be in New Bern, NC? I have heard of an old house that has been moved. People live in it but I heard it used to be owned by a doctor,
gothic_king13 (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-26)
if you can tell me more information on it I would like to investigate your old house my partner and I are spiritual investigators and also exterminators if you wish to contact us please don't hesitate to reach me via email at gothic_king13 at yahoo.com
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
Thank you. You write in such a way that makes your stories so easy to read & identify with. Totally for me. I want to think more about the black mass & shadows that sprawl in & out of it. Actually I want to think more about all you have written. Also, to this day, I still have nightmares about the house my family lived in in Golden, CO. I'm 32 & haven't lived there since I was 6. Dont know if they'll ever stop. But sometimes they do bring me more understanding of things that happened to me. Also they show me things that I have forgotten & wish I still didn't remember. I think it will always haunt me. Thank again. Much love & bless you & yours.

~LSD~
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Dusty - I apologize for the lecture about posting OT a while back. It's just that I was chastised for it and didn't want to see the same thing happen to you.

Anyway, you said:

"There was tons and tons more. I could go on forever but I'm won't. Eventually the ghosts were just part of the background and I wasn't scared. But during the last year there, things were getting more extreme and more blatant. I felt threatened quite a few times there. The last time I went in to grab the last few boxes of mine, I felt extremely nervous and left ASAP."

However, you never really gave examples of the more extreme events. I can understand if it's not something you want to discuss. However, I am curious.

I 100% agree with you with regard to Satan. I think that "he" is merely the personification of the human potential for evil. Yes, like you, I do believe that there are energies and entities out there, but it's definitely not black and white. Like DeviousAngel and others, I believe that there is such a thing as "good" demons.

Also, what you refer to as "spirits from nature" are known by many as Elementals. I'm quite interested in both Elementals and Cryptids. Once I get my MS certs and can relax, I plan to do more research on those.
coolcatfun (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
i don't get scared much, but if I were you I would run screaming uot of that house! Can't wait for your next story!

Coolcatfun
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
dustyisdead, great story! I enjoyed it very much. It seems that whole strip of land from where the house once stood to the location it was moved to is very rich in history. I'm not surprised that there was so much activity. The relocation, and rennovations of the house could have very well stirred up activity, and there does seem to be a portal where these entities positive and negative traveled through. The couple of times I have heard someone report a black swirly mass the experience was pretty much negative. So I agree with you that this was negative and working it's way up to something.
Sounds like living in that house was quite the adventure. Thank you for sharing your experiences. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
dustyisdead: Firstly loved your story! It was well told I thoroughly enjoyed it! 😊Some great ideas and theories have come up here but just a couple of things I thought of whilst reading.

The house, even before you parents had bought it had experienced some high emotions and energies, these themselves would have been stained into the foundation.

Secondly the home was removed from where it was built on, it is well known that remodelling of a home can disturb, and wake up/increase spiritual activity, and thirdly where it was moved to, the land there in my opinion would have been very active with residual energy and even intelligent. So all up I'm not surprised you experienced everything you did, it had the making of a haunted home right there. 😊
And congratulations on winning that raffle 😁 I never win anything lol.

Thank you for sharing your story! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
[at] dustyisdead, taz and geetha,
I have to agree with you guys. And I also like geetha's point about the previous owner having something to do with opening it up to begin with. Could have been a seance or Ouija board session, who knows?
And I love the "Pop-a-troll" button idea! Add a little victory tune to it if you succeed in popping it, and you've got fun for all written all over it!
(I'll have to come up with an appropriate ditty for it);P

Jav
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
Well, all I can say is I hope where you live now, there is NO activity whatsoever.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
dustyisdead know what you mean, have been on other sites and this has to be the best one for getting ideas, help and a bit of understanding from people that are out there to help each other.
All it needs is a pop~a~troll button to clear out the trolls that pop up now and then and would be fantastic.
Please add what your mom thinks about the portal idea will be interested to know
Thanks
Carl 😁
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
[at] Taz
I think it makes a lot of sense also. But I wouldn't have thought of that if it wasn't from posting my story here and listening to everyone's theories about what they thought it was. I'm actually looking forward to calling my moms later and telling her what I think. This is an example of how great a website like this is. You can hear other peoples non-judgmental and serious takes on what happened to you so you can get a better idea of what actually went on.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
dustyisdead totaly agree with your last comment, makes perfect sense.
Was thinking about it after I logged off last night and did think should have added the portal idea to my comment.
All the best
Carl
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
[at] believer
I don't know if he was a smoker, it was 1900 when he lived there though so there's a good chance he was considering most people were back then. Why do you ask?
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
[at] taz, geetha, javelina
I agree about the divorce and other personal issues in the family possibly provided negative energy for whatever it was to feed off of. It wasn't until we started having issues like that that the paranormal things in the house became negative. So my theory is that it was a portal, and things only come through that can find the proper type of enery. Like good spirits come when good energy is in the house, and vice versa. Does that make sense?
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
This is a pretty interesting read... I hope you have a peace of mind now that you have moved out. Like the others, I too believe that black mass was some kind of portal that came activity when the house was moved. With the divorce and other activities in your house, I think it added your energy that was created in those situations to its strengths.

One theory that I have (and I'm pretty sure, not everyone is going to agree with this) is that the previous owners knew of what was happening and wanted to get rid it (the reason behind your mother getting it for $6000?) but they might have done some kind of seance (I think that's how you spelling?) or something similar and that attracted some unwanted attention and that traveled with the house.
believer21 (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
Wonderful story!
The black mass caught my fancy as well. I've seen something similar on two occasions, both in my old house that has a lot of activity. Both times when I saw it someone very close to me died. The first was my friend and the second was my mom. It woke me ouuta a dead sleep. It was just sitting in the corner of my room among waving shadows.
You theory about the doctor, any idea if he was a smoker? Maybe he was in your room still unable to kick that habit.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
dustyisdead firstly no need for the "sorry its so long" there is so much in here it has to be a long one!
Secondly LOVED IT!❤!
Enough in there to keep the reader going but not too much "filling" to boar some people who don't like to read as much (not me could read more:))
Now the black mass, was it just your mum who saw this thing?
Have to ask as you do say she was sleeping on the couch, a year before leaving the house so I'm getting from that that things were not good with your parents at the time, now I'm thinking it could have been the energy and feelings your mum was going through at the time being manurfested as a mass she could actualy see OR a spirit/entity was using the feelings/emotions she was giving off to show its self!
Just a thought
Carl
Oh and adding to faves 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
The black thing in the ceiling. It just seems so out of place with the other activity, that it makes me wonder if it may have gotten trapped there somehow.
An accident, not intentional, you know? Perhaps during the move, or the setting of the house on it's new foundation?
I have nothing to compare it to. And no idea how you would go about trapping any entity. But it just doesn't seem to fit somehow.
Sorry, just another one of my running with scissors theories.

Jav

~It's bugging the crap out of me though.~ 😕
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] ghostguy
I know there was a male spirit there simply because of the "adam" story and the fact of the little girl pointing him out.

Most of the voices I heard seemed to be non-gender specific. The spirit I saw in the camera appeared to be a female, but again it was blurry and just an outline so who can say.

I would like to think the male is the doctor that used to own the house, and he was a good spirit. Maybe he would shut all the doors in the house because in doctor's offices, all the doors were shut for privacy?
But as far as the black mass and the shadows, I don't know what they intent was.

[at] javelina
Yeah, the owners just wanted to get rid of it, so I guess that's why it was so cheap. The moving cost and land were quite a bit more though. They definitely didn't say anything about ghosts in the house, so either they were hiding something, or the move of the house stirred them up into activity. I wish I knew the answers to the mysteries that surround exactly WHAT was haunting that house. I probably never will though.
ghostGuy (45 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I'd say at least two entities are present in that house. If they're still there; because a ghost can move on at any time.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] Dusty,
Check your email when you get a minute.
Thanks,
Javelina
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
dustyisdead,
Before I go any further I want to say one thing...
$6000! Cripes! But then again, how many times have you been watching about a haunting somewhere that starts out with "We just couldn't pass up a deal like that. It was a steal!"? And, of course, the next "Hindsight is 20/20" moment was the people your parents bought it from wouldn't even stay in it. They lived out back in a trailer. I do realize that moving the home to it's new foundation was quite an expense. But you have to admit, the red fags were up and waving. Just once I'd like to hear from the guy who passed up that deal and why.
I also, am intrigued with the black form on the ceiling. It's the first time I've heard of anything of that nature being seen, as opposed to 'felt'. The description will stay with me, I can guarantee you!
I have more to comment but there is a huge storm brewing outside with thunder and lightening. Later!

Jav 😲
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] Champion
No problem, I like folklore and reading about the different meanings and theories of them, and this book had a completely different take on them. So I was pretty excited when I saw it in the library.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I will be looking for that one as well. I recently had a discussion about the possibility of astral bodies accounting for werewolves and I am seeking an explanation for a strange thing seen around my daughter - I just submitted an account of it on YGS - that the book may help with. Thanks for the recommendation.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
dustyisdead-I always come back to check the comments on stories especially when the O/P participates as well as you. I have learned more from the comments sections than I ever have from just the stories themselves. "Witches, Werewolves, and Fairies: Shapeshifters and Astral Doubles in the Middle Ages" by Claude Lecouteux. I am going to have to check this out! Thanks Dusty,

Champion
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] Nysa
That's funny you should bring up the idea of someone's astral form manifesting differently. I'm actually reading a book on that very idea. It's called "Witches, Werewolves, and Fairies: Shapeshifters and Astral Doubles in the Middle Ages" by Claude Lecouteux.

It talks a lot about the theory of "astral doubles" and how perhaps many of the creatures or folklore and the paranormal that we've seen and heard about, are actually the astral double of people. This could explain "spirit animals" as well. It gives all kinds of various accounts of people shapeshifting throughout history, but instead of it being the actual person, this book theorizes that it's actually the person's double. It's actually really interesting.

If you're interested in the subject, I recommend checking it out at the library or buying it. It's a light read, and although it's translated from french, it's pretty easy to understand.
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] Pjod
Yeah... Anyone that calls me a bigot seems like a really GREAT GUY! Anyway I'm not really interested in bringing him up anymore. Especially on the comments of my personal story.

In fact if any mod reads this, please delete any mention of him on here.

It's taking away from why I posted this story. This was a pretty big deal to me at the time, and kind of still is. So I would like to hear people's thoughts on
My story, I don't want to see anymore attention given to a self-professed demonologist on the comments my story
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I know you two have recently butt heads... But for what it's worth, I like Jim D. We may not agree on the idea of consistent demonic activity appearing in a lot of the stories posted here, but I know he means well and only trying to help others. Not too many people out there today willing to go out of there way, unless a fee is involved.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: