You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Haunted Churches

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Churches

 

This is a story about my town New Portland, ME. No matter where you go something seems off and you just want to leave. I will never forget when I first moved into New Portland. I could never get to sleep because I always thought I heard something. I have always been able to hear and see ghost but what I saw and heard always scared me.

I met this girl, Megan, and I found out she could sense ghosts. We would always walk around by the church until one day we were walking and I decided to look into the window and I almost feel backwards. When I looked into the window I saw a bunch of people, old and young, all hanging by the ceiling but when Megan looked in all she could sense something bad. I still can't believe this and I don't think I ever will.

There is also another haunted church in my town. It is on the other side though and I only realized that it was haunted this year when I was hanging out with my friends Megan, Austin, Breanna and Austin's little brother. We were walking around on a bridge when I heard a loud growl. Also Breanna can sense and see things like me. So when that happened we both looked at each other and then ran to the church. When we got there and when we stepped on the property I had a feeling to get off and run, but I didn't and neither did Breanna.

Austin, Megan and Austin's little brother caught up with us after a few minutes and when they got there, they knew something was wrong by what was happening to me and Breanna. She was hearing growling and I was hearing a little girl laughing. When I looked over into the window I swear to God I saw Lilly. Then Breanna elbowed me and told me we should leave because she could see hell hounds. We left and I am never going back.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gggirl9809, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

gggirl9809 (1 stories) (9 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
ok so at the church there is nothing for dogs to be barking behind and there is no dogs around the church. And yes, I know think the Lilith, was really a little girl's spirit.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
I do agree a bit with the Supernatural (TV series) reference with regard to Lilith and the hell hounds. It seems a little too coincidental. The "hell hounds" could very well have been dogs out of site range (i.e. Behind a fence or building), but within audible range. So, I see nothing that is, beyond doubt, paranormal about hearing dogs.

As for Lilith, it probably was simply a spirit of a little girl. She might have attended the church with her parents and was coming back, in spirit form, to a place with which she was familiar. So, this might have been paranormal, but I seriously doubt it was a demon. Prior to Supernatural, the only Lilith I was familiar with was Lilywhite Lilith (see Genesis album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway). Given the story of Rael as told on that album, Lilywhite Lilith was probably loosely based on the Lilith from Jewish mythology (i.e. The "demon").

Church and cemetary hauntings - there are all too many well documented cases for both to deny their occurance. I agree with Nysa's assessment as to why a church could be haunted. I would have a similar notion for cemetaries. They are places where people's emotions run high. Spirits can feed off of those emotions. Thus, they might hang around cemetaries for an "energy boost". Besides that, spirits might occasionally visit their grave site because it is associated with a church in which they were a member. Again, it is a place that's familiar to them.

Zombies - I've never seen one. I have felt like one on occasion though. Prior to the zombie craze of recent years, I thought they were only associated with Voodoo.
gggirl9809 (1 stories) (9 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
Nysa that makes sense. Really it does and also about the resident evil 2 thing 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
Right like in Resident Evil 2. The virus gets into the ground water & look out!
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
[at] Nysa - yeah. It's zombies you have to watch out for in graveyards, not ghosts, right: 😜
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-01)
A church is a building where extremely emotional events take place and it's not unusual for people to work in them for long periods and in some cases until their death. It makes sense to me that they would be haunted. Many large churches are famous for being haunted by monks, priests, and caretakers. Cemeteries seem a different matter, who wants to stay with their dead body? But it makes sense that people who were attached to one in life, visiting the grave one of a loved one every day for example, might remain there after death.
gggirl9809 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-01)
yeah I don't really get how churches can be haunted. Things happen though I guess. 😕:/
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
Yeah...I always have a hard time with haunted churches and graveyards... At least in a cemetery, you do have the chance to run into the "caretaker" ghostie guy/gal...But I don't know why anyone would haunt their own grave (in a cemetery), it is consecrated and hallowed ground...
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
I find it interesting that churches can be haunted, yet so many seem to feel that the invocation of "God", "Jesus" etc., can be utilised to dispel or exorcise ghosties.
So why is it on one hand...?
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
Well sweety, my advice for you: stay away from those places.
gggirl9809 (1 stories) (9 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
um I don't really know what it was. I thought it was Lilith because if the giggling and the hell hounds. It might have been a ghost though:/
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
I remember Lilith from the tv show "Supernatural", she took the shape/possessed a little girl and the only image that comes to my mind is that of a little girl. Are you sure it wasn't just a ghost, what makes you believe that was the demon?
gggirl9809 (1 stories) (9 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
ok so I guess you guys don't get it still. Lilith, there really isn't any way to explain her but I knew it was her. They were hell hounds because nobody else could see them but we could hear them. BeautInside what do you mean by " Supernatural?"
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
I agree, this story is very confusing. Is Lilith supposed to have only 1 shape? How did you recognise her? I am sorry but it sounds all too "Supernatural" to me.
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
How was it "Lilith"? Did you talk to this demon? From your story, you say you just looked at it and saw Lilith. But how did you come to that conclusion?

And what about the "hellhounds"? What exactly made them hellhounds?

You're just kind of saying pretty outlandish things and not really expounding on them, so everyone is kind of confused.

If would be like if I said "So, we opened the door and my friend felt the dragon's breath on her neck, so we ran and swear to god around the corner, Damien was standing. So we just ran away." lol
After reading it you're like "Wait, what?" Because you don't really explain anymore and no where else was a dragon or damien mentioned.

Do you see now why your story still isn't making any sense?
gggirl9809 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
ok first off thank you for the comments. Lilly is Lilith, you were right BeautInside, but I call her Lilly. Yes the people were hanging by their necks. To taz890 megan was with Austin and breanna started to run with me when I did. Dustyisdead no were were hanging out and there is a church right next to my house so we went there and the second one we were just walking and heard the noise so follow to where we heard it. Sorry you guys if this didn't make sense to you but I hope it does now 😕
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
I can't really understand your story to be honest with you.
Why are you guys going to the churches? Are you members or something and this happened as you were leaving or during the service.
You saw Lily? What does that mean?
What is a hell hound? Maybe she just saw a dog.
"All hanging by the ceiling" you mean floating around or hanging from nooses by the ceiling?

So I would like to give you an opinion about your story, but I don't really understand what you wrote.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
ok a few questions!
1> you say people were hanging in the church, since when do people get hung in churches?
2> at he second haunted church megan is with you again but did not run with you and this new girl breanna who you say can "see" things why?
3> Who was lilly ment to be?
[at] all the other commenters, you can't really be taken in by this?
Can I get a large order of blanky with a side of hmmmm right! Please
Thanks
Carl
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
Same question as the others... Who is Lily? Is she a friend, ghost, demon?
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
Did you mean Lilith? If you really meant Lilly I have no clue who she is, if you wanted to write Lilith instead I know that it's some sort of female demon. Could you please make that clear?
Thank you.
iLoveChocolates (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
Wow! So scary 😨
Churches are really haunted. It's kind of creepy cause y'know, Church is the house of God and ghosts shouldn't be in there but yeah, many Churches are really haunted. Old churches are most haunted.

But wait, whose Lilly?
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-28)
just a couple questions for the moment:

Who is Lilly?

When you said you saw people hanging by the ceiling - did you mean they were hanging by their necks?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: