You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Spooky Warehouse Incidents

Real Ghost Stories

Spooky Warehouse Incidents

 

So, I've worked in a warehouse, in the east of England, for almost four years now. Since, I've started working there, I have noticed a couple of strange things going on; as well as hearing from other people some strange events happening and I was wondering what other peoples' thoughts are on it.

I'll begin by explaining a bit more about the warehouse. It was built less than ten years ago, on farmland. As far as I am able to research, there have been no accidents or deaths on the site during construction of the building or since it opened. I have researched into the history of the land, which I'll talk about later, in case it should influence your opinion or thoughts. The warehouse is mainly one story, except for the front third which does have a second floor, which is used for offices. The main part of the warehouse is open plan.

So the strange incidents that I have experienced have occurred sporadically over the past four years. One of the most consistent things I have experienced is a sudden drop in temperature when in the warehouse. This happens in the central part of the warehouse on the east or west sides. The main part of the warehouse has no windows and the delivery shutters are on the north side and some distance from the site where the changes in temperature occur. Also I would expect to feel more of a draft or breeze if it was caused by the shutters being opened, rather than a noticeable shift in temperature. The second thing I've noticed, or rather felt, is the feeling I'm being watched while in the warehouse. This usually occurs when I'm by myself, usually after 5 o'clock when the majority of the staff have gone home. I am not the only one who seems to get this feeling, many new employees, who haven't heard about these strange incidents, claim that they feel uneasy and as if someone is watching what they are doing, despite no one being in the area.

Now, I have asked my father, who works at the warehouse as a manager if he has experienced anything strange, as he has worked there since it has opened. One of the tasks my father has to do is survey the CCTV every so often. He says that occasionally he will see shadowy images on the recording. Apparently they occur after the building has closed; usually after 2am and the images are pretty fast. Since the security company that remotely watches the building, after it has been closed for the day, didn't raise the alarm; I can only assume that the sensors weren't triggered, indicating no one had entered the building.

There was another incident my father spoke about which happened before I started working there. First, I'll have to explain briefly the call out system. As I have already explained, an outside company monitors the building once it has been closed. There are two types of sensors: one on each of the external doors that is triggered should they be opened and the other on the internal doors should they be opened. If the sensors are triggered, the security company has a call out rota, which is a list of employees that live in the local area. They call two of the employees, who then go and investigate. If an employee is on call out that evening they are not allowed to drink alcohol. Now, one April/May (my father can't remember) evening about five years ago, two of our colleagues were called out after one of the internal alarms were triggered. They walked around the outside of the building and were satisfied that all the external doors were closed and locked and none of the windows or delivery shutters had been broken into. They decided to enter the building and see what had caused the apparently false alarm. They checked the offices and found they were OK, including all the internal doors. They then entered the warehouse. When both of them entered, they heard a woman singing, in a Forties/Fifties style. They called for the person to identify themselves, but the singing continued. The two men walked to eats side of the building, where the singing appeared to be coming from. When it seemed they were getting close to the source of the noise is stopped. They called into the security company, to check the security footage of the area and entrance to the building. No one had entered/exited the building since the two men had entered; and no one was in the east side area. Please bear in mind that I know both of these men. Neither smoke, take drugs nor would not have drunk any alcohol that night as they were on call (one of them is in fact tee-total). Furthermore, both are trustworthy, reliable individuals; who up until this point, didn't really believe in ghosts.

Now, I have done some research into the local history of the area and before the warehouse was built an archaeological survey had to be done, a legal requirement in the UK. I was able to gain access to the original report which says that the archaeologists had found evidence of a post-roman settlement, possibly Anglo-Saxon, with a possible burial ground. Unfortunately due to the nature of the soil, which is very acidic, little evidence was found to fully prove that a burial ground existed. Another piece of research I have discovered, between 1943-47 there was an Internment camp for German and Italian POWs, just slightly west of the building.

That's all I've been able to find out. I'll keep researching to see what I find out; but I just wanted to know what you think and any ideas on how I should progress. Thanks for taking the time to read this (I know it's a bit long winded!).

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thero, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wolfeyes72206 (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
it's a good thing you didn't go any further cause it sounds to me like they were trying to lure you away to somewhere, please be careful and god bless
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
thero great first post really enjoyed reading it😊
Like you say it could have been someting to do with the pow camp there but if there is little information to find then sadly you might never find out exactly what or who it is.
Totaly agree with the comment about the cctv most people after a few days will forget about it even being there so I doubt that could be the reason for feeling like being watched, most people don't even notice the cameras as its so common now to see them around.
Hope you post more soon if you can
Carl
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Lovely, I mentioned England because in the beginning of his story, he said "in the east of England"... We're not all ignorant Americans. I am aware of what the UK is. I know that all of Europe contains massive amounts of history. 😜
thero (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
ghostGuy:
That's what convinced me, the fact that a range of people have experienced these things. Age wise we're talking teenagers to people in their sixties; and some who are sceptical about ghosts.

Lovely1:
I completely agree with you. Everyone forgets about Wales (it has one of the most haunted asylums in Europe!), as well as areas, like where I am. People seem to either focuse on the north of England or the south. Which is a shame, since they miss out on the best ghost stories. But I'll keep you posted on this one.

Geetha:
It is creepy, particularly when there is only eight of us in there on a Bank Holiday and everyone else is on the other side of the building.
Occasionally people feel uncomfortable in the warehouse (myself included). The changes in temperatures aren't too bad; it's when you feel someone is watching you, but you know there is no one in that area apart from yourself, that's when it starts to creep me out. There is one girl who refuses to go in one part of the warehouse on the east side; she doesn't say why but every time she has to go there, she will find a reason why someone else has to go.
The two men who went on the call out, also wouldn't stay in the area where they heard the singing, but that is understandable. Visitors also seem to get a bad feeling. They are quite comfortable on the second floor but when they enter the main warehouse they seem to quieten down.
thero (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Moongrim:
I have been thinking about using video and audio equipment, but unfortunately I doubt the company I work for would give me the permission to do such a thing.

Jav:
I completely agree with you on the security camera comment, but some of the people that have commented on feeling they were being watched have worked in the building for years, so I would be surprised if they are only recently getting that feeling because of the security cameras.
I must admit when I found out about the POW camp, that crossed my mind as well! The frustrating thing is, there seems to be few detailed records on the area so its taking a while to piece together the information that I have.
As I mentioned before, I believe it is unlikely that I will get permission to use such equipment. But what I will do is try and map out where these occurences take place and see if I can put together a timeline, to see if there is any pattern to what is going on. I'll also see if I can find any likely candidates for this singing lady (although can't make any promises).
I'll keep you posted on how I get on!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
It must be really creepy... But I don't expect anything less from a place with so much history to it. What were the feelings that you, your father, and the rest employees got? Were they uncomfortable about?
Lovely1 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
I agree with there being more history, but would have to take it further and say there would probably be more history in Scotland. Particularly Edinburgh, where there were more witches burned there than anywhere else in the UK combined! Not to mention the plagues and great fire. Sorry, just irks me a bit when people assume the UK is just England...it's really not.
Great story though! Very well told. Please post anything else that you come across.
Thanks 😁
ghostGuy (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
"occasionally seen shadowy images at 2am"
"the feeling I'm being watched"
Sounds right for a haunting.
Especially with many witnesses.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
thero,
Excellent telling and research of the land and your experiences! I've actually got a pretty good picture in my mind of the place. I am only guessing here, but the singing could have to do with the World War II POW encampment (I'm sure that has already crossed your mind though). Possibly a family member of the camp administrator, or perhaps a hired cook or cleaning woman?
The feeling of being watched could be real, either by spirit activity or the security cameras. Just knowing the cameras are there can give a person the feeling of being watched (and rightly so). But this along with the lowering of unexplainable temperature fluctuations, puts it more into the paranormal for me.
Add to that the shadowy figures and the history of the land? Sounds like a good start to me. Now if you could get an EVP or two, especially of the woman singing, I'd say you've got a solid case.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
Long winded? Who cares! It was nicely told, and most informative. Personally, it may be a good idea to leave a recording device in random spots over night. Video or audio recording only would probably indicate which is the best spots.
thero (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
Thanks for the comment. I agree that the UK seems to have a lot of ghostly goings on. In the area that I live in there seems to be a number of ghost sightings. But I'll keep you updated on what goes on in the warehouse.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
Interesting story! English ghost stories interest me a lot, considering England is so much older than the USA. I think there must be history on every inch of land over there. Please keep us updated on whatever you find! Thank you for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: