You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: A Little Dose Of Reality

Real Ghost Stories

A Little Dose Of Reality

 

Since I was young, as far back as I can remember anyways, I have always been interested in the paranormal. The idea of ghost hunting, searching for aliens, and working with Mulder and Sculley seemed like it would be a cool thing to do. Of course the thought of ever actually seeing a ghost scared the hell out of me. Because of this fear, as you can imagine, my future with the X-Files was unobtainable.

Moving forward in time, let's say about 25 years, we come to present day. I am now 37 years old. A few months ago, my family and I moved into a new home. Well I shouldn't say new, but new to us. After several weeks my wife began to ask me if I had seen anything strange going on in the house. She particularly wanted to know if I had seen what looked like a little girl, besides the two of our own, in the house. The answer was and still is no.

So one bored Friday night, my wife and I were having some friends over for adult social hour. We began talking about this little girl that my wife had been seeing. The suggestion of conducting an EVP session was mentioned, and well, seeing how easy the TV makes it look I thought, "Sure, I'm down." Little did I know that things were about to change for me. When we went back to review our EVP sessions, I was blown away by what I was hearing. It sounded like we had captured some voices. Regardless if they really were voices or not, the idea of the whole thing scared but excited me. I wanted to try it every weekend. I began reading everything I could get my hands on about ghost hunting. I was becoming a ghost hunting junkie with very little idea of what I was really getting myself into.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 is the night that changed everything. Over the last few weeks, I have been traveling to a particular cemetery to "ghost hunt". Its called Strawberry Chapel, located in Berkeley County, South Carolina, just outside of Moncks Corner.

On this particular night, I and another were conducting EVP sessions. Not having a lot of money or resources, our equipment is very basic and limited; old 8mm camcorder, cell phone, compass, you get the idea. Anyway, I was holding the 8mm camcorder while asking just simple questions.

All of a sudden I felt the most intense chill come across my body from my right side starting at my shoulder. I was speechless, almost frozen with fear. Never in my life have I ever felt anything like it. It felt somewhat like the chill had come from inside me, from my very being. It was in this moment that I "KNEW" this wasn't a game anymore.

As sure as I'm writing this, I know that there was someone or something that stood next to me with its hand on my shoulder. I did not capture any voice or visual from that moment. I did however capture what may be a hard quick breath but not 100% sure it wasn't my own. As minor as this event may seem to some of you, it changed my outlook on ghost hunting completely. I'm new at this, but I do not plan on stopping. Much like my favorite show says "The truth is out there"

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PriclessMike1974, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Sweet! Loved the X-Files reference. Ah, those were the good 'ol days. 😁 This was a great story, just because for people who are not "sensitive" to the supernatural (ahem, like me), it's easy to do all your research, and watch all the shows, and think "awesome, that is so cool"...or, "oh, if it was me, I wouldn't have acted like that", but when it actually HAPPENS to YOU, as in, real-life scenario, this is literally happening right Now? Yep... Totally different story. I seem to be a null - nothing has happened to me yet, but when the time comes, I'll definitely be sure to act appropriately. (Drop everything, squeal like a little girl & run as fast as I can.) 😆
Justinjack (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
I am from Lake City South Carolina, I just moved to nashville tn. I use to go out ghost hunting all over sc, look up salem black river cemetary, its about 2 hours from your area but definatly worth the trip. You will get a lot of action there. I know lots of other great places around your location that you will capture paranormal evidence. Shoot me an email if you want a list of these places. Justinjack89 [at] gmail.com. Love this story and good luck hunting.
PriclessMike1974 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
I am also working on getting a team together but its harder than I thought it would be. I need some good name ideas. Also if there is anyone in the Charleston, SC area that is interested please contact me by email.
Priceless1974 [at] hotmail.com
PriclessMike1974 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-11)
My wife doesn't mind the ghost hunting. She is interested in helping look at the evidence but not so much on actually going. As far as seeing the little girl in the house, she says she sees her from time to time but not as often as she did at first.
At the moment I am doing some research on a particular place to ghost hunt. I try to get my homework done before I go out there running around in the dark like an idiot without a clue. Hopefully soon I'll have a good story and some evidence to share.
ghostGuy (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-06)
Ilee is on the right track.
People are people, alive or dead.
Many that do investigations may believe that
Ghosts are evil or demons.
I can't wait for them to dare stay in the physical
World one minute past their death.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-06)
very interesting first post thanks for adding it.
As always some great advice given here but I have to ask does your wife still see the little girl?
How does your wife feel about the ghost hunting?
Hoe to read some more of your stories if you ever decide to add them.
Carl
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Mike,

Please do remember that when ghost hunting, show signs of respect. (Read the article on this site called "Ghost Hunting Etiquette 101")

Some spirits may be lost, confused and/or angry. You're essentially invading their terrority. So when you breach their terrority, clearly state your purpose and ask for permission. "I mean you no harm and wish to speak with you" or "may I take your picture." If you are respectful, you might be surprised at how cooperative some might be.

I once went on a ghost tour with a medium present. And she gave me a great advice that I think you will find helpful. When getting into your car before leaving, address any lingering spirits that are following you that they may not follow you home. That they do not belong with you and they need to stay here. It really gave me a piece of mind after I said it. I hope you find this helpful!

Happy Huntings 😁
PriclessMike1974 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Thanks for the input guys. Like I said in the story, I'm just getting started so I'm pretty new at this stuff. I do try my best to look at any evidence I may have obtained from a skeptical point of view. I look at all the possibilities it could be rather that assuming its something paranormal. However, I do tend to let my inexperience and lack of knowledge get me a little over excited at times, much like a kid on Christmas morning. I will definitely take the advise about learning how to protect myself and fellow hunters. I am a believe in God, so before and after a ghost hunt I always pray for protection. That's just something that I do on my own. I really want to learn as much as I can about all this, so any advise you have that will help me to grow as a good ghost hunter will be appreciated. What Id really like is to go with some more experienced ghost hunters that would be willing to take the time to show me the ropes. 😁
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
A liitle more reality is, in my opinion, needed. You should be aware of the effect your own mind can have on your experiences. Your mental state, that semi-obsessive excitement you report that you developed, can alter your experience of a perfectly normal chill. I am not saying that something was not there, I believe it is a very real possibility that something other-worldly "touched" you. But losing that skepticism is not a good thing in those pursuing paranormal activity. I think that all people who want to take up "ghost hunting" should read up on the criticisms of it. Not to be convinced that it is illigitimate, but to learn the alternate possibilities & especially the known pitfalls. Both sides can be right on some points & wrong on others. When trying to deal scientifically with things that appear to fall outside the realm of the physical sciences it is as easy to come to conclusions based on fallacies as it is to unfairly dismiss sound work. As for protections, that is another area where logical thinking is required. It would be silly not to use any protection you believe is reasonable, even if you think there is only a slight chance it could be needed. But taking up rituals or purchasing items just because some writer says you must, without understanding and agreeing with the philosophies behind it, is in my opinion, more harmful than helpful. Just a pitfall I have seen many fall into in their excitement.

Incidentally, I have heard many say that the basic equipment is the best equipment & the technology can get in the way with the fancier newer stuff.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Mike: I'm going to sound like Wardo's echo, but yeah, do some research about how to protect yourself and fellow hunters...It's an exciting field, but never forget to go into these investigations with a sense of skepticism, and rule out the obvious before deeming paranormal... Good luck, and looking forward to reading about more of your experiences! 😊
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Well Mike, I won't comment on your misspelling of priceless:) but welcome to the site nonetheless! Yes the truth is out there, and so are ghosts. Believe it or not, they do exist as many on this site will tell you! It sounds like you are pretty interested in ghost hunting, but there are some precautions you need to take! I strongly recommend doing some research on how to protect yourself from attachments and inviting bad spirits into your life. Other than that, it can be quite compelling to detect some real phenomena. And as other will likely ask you, can you post the EVP to youtube and share the link with us? Thanks and happy hunting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: