You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Strange Breaths And Movements

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Breaths And Movements

 

I am 15 years old and I lived in a house which I believed had ghosts living with me. I was the only person out of my family that experienced the events. I am the youngest in my family and I get scared of things like this quite easily. My mother and I both believe in ghosts. My dad had been living in the same house for over 15 years before I was born and had NEVER had any experiences with them.

My first encounter with them was when I had just turned off my light to go to sleep at around 11pm. I was laying there and heard a deep breath from the corner of the room, it continued and breathed/sighed another 2/3 times before I turned on the light to find NOTHING there at all. This happened to me about 3 times throughout one year.

I also had a different experience in the same house. The rest of my family was downstairs while I was upstairs alone in the kitchen unpacking the dishwasher. I had just finished cleaning the kitchen and had closed up all the drawers and cupboards. As I was leaving the kitchen I heard a faint sigh in the right ear. I assumed it was the dishwasher but it sounded exactly like what I had heard in my bedroom months earlier. I then sat in the loungeroom which was close to the kitchen. As I was watching television I heard drawers and cupboards OPENING in the kitchen. The noises were faint but I knew what I had heard. I poked my head in the kitchen to see what it was and saw that 2 cupboards and 3 drawers were opened slightly. I knew for sure and had remembered closing them when I had finished.

I know that my story may not be as interesting as other peoples' but I am still quite scared from the experience as I get scared easily. I know that the ghost won't do anything to hurt me.

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas what the ghost was doing when it was opening the drawers and cupboards and if anyone knows why it breathed around me. Nothing has EVER happened to my brother or dad because they don't believe in them - maybe this has something to do with it?

I would just like some tips/info if you might have any to help.

Thank you!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ellie7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
Oh I see, more like a "one true church" kind of argument. I guess that takes it back to relying on the beliefs of the user that it will work. Well the mind is an amazing thing, so it is plausible that that is why it works.
JimD (431 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
Well, not exactly. I mean that these specific prayers come down from antiquity, i.e. Tradition. They have been most potent throughout the centuries in use vs. The demonic. We don't hold that one of the original 12 used these exact prayers, but that the sacramental priesthood is passed on and on, unbrocken over the centuries. The valid sacramentality would apply to the seven sacraments and to blessings of objects. The prayers go back many centuries, but we can't know if one of the 12 used the same prayers.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
So there is a belief that one or more of the apostles invented the rite? Historically that is highly questionable, but from a spiritual & folkloric perspective that is very interesting. The idea that a ritual can be stronger because of a direct connection to the avatar of a deity or a demi-god / hero makes sense of course. I mean that is why religious relics are thought to be powerful. I wonder if I could find similar beliefs in Hinduism, since they have similar beliefs about their gods coming to Earth in physical form. I will have to look for that.
JimD (431 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
Nysa;

No problem. Honest debate is terriffic and illuminating. And you do well, by the way of not getting ugly. Others don't, but that is the way it is. Yes, I feel it's because the rituals are older and time tested, and therefore more effective. Also, a second reason is that the Catholics and Orthodox rituals have valid apostolic sucession, i.e. Dating back to the original 12 Apostles. In other words, they are sacramentally valid and potent.

Lutheran Ministers, good folks that they really are, don't have this sucession and they don't claim to. A H.S. Friend of mine is a Minister, and they base their faith on Scripture - based faith; not the four necessary elements for a Catholic Sacrament, i.e. Proper matter, proper form, proper intention, and valid priesthood. His church, on Long Island, NY, actually refers people from his congregation with serious, potentially demonic, problems to the Catholic Church. He has no problem with this.

I hope that made sence. I miss more than 5 hours of sleep.
bandet888 (86 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
Interesting theroies here. Anybody that reads my comment please don't be offended. I sometimes try to debunk stories to give some POSSIBLE logical explination although I could be wrong. Is it possible the breathing noises was coming from another room from a real person but just sounded like it's in the same room? Maybe thin walls? Maybe someone was in the kitchen for a split second and was looking for something in the cuboards and drawers and by the time you got to look the person was gone? Anyway I'm glad nothing bad has happened to you and maybe try some kind of Holy water but I couldn't tell you what kind.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
I understand, you are posting theories that are bound to bring attacks, and in a way I am "attacking" or at least challenging the theory. Not because I want to wound anybody but because I believe that understanding comes from honest debate. I will always challenge theories & a person's reasoning if I see flaws or gaps, but I aim to never attack people (I may miss the mark on occasion but I do try to keep my aim). And as I said I think it is important for future readers to see that some theories / advice is not universally accepted.

So do you have any theories on why those particular versions of holy water are most effective? Do you think it is because the rituals used are older? Or there is something specific that the Protestant rituals leave out? I have read accounts of people of other religions using elemental substances to great effect to drive away unwanted entities which begs the question; is it the elemental ingredients that have the effect (a position that seems to be supported by your experiences with "high octane" holy water as it appears to be the addition of an Earth element that makes it more effective), the ritual accompanying it's use, or perhaps the belief of the user that makes it work? I hope others will share their theories here as well.
JimD (431 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
Ok;

I'm sorry. I am used to having to be on the defensive on this site. Excellent question. I find the Holy watwer that works best are: Catholic, Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox. I never used Lutheran holy water, but a former client of mine did, with not so great results.

Since you asked; 'high octane' Catholic Holy water, i.e. With the extra blessing of exorcized salt, works better than does low octane Catholic Holy water, i.e. Simply blessed by a Catholic Priest. Low octange is still very effective, but, personally I mostly use high octang Holy water. Thanks for a civil, genuine question. Jim
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
No I was interested in the theory behind the advice, which I find is far more helpful to all. You specified Catholic holy water & I felt incredulous that someone would suggest water blessed by one kind of priest / holy person over others. And I think it is important that people reading the posts know when someone might question the validity of some of the advice offered. Now I am curious what other holy waters you have tried & if you have some kind of argument against other holy waters I imagine this poster & others would like to have that information to help them decide how to go forward.
JimD (431 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
I find Catholic Holy water works. I'm trying to help poster, as are you, correct? I won't engage in pointless kitchen debates. Nobody wins. Why don't we both offeer our advise without dispariging each other, ok? Your counsel is your right; stay well, and poster, please try the Catholic Holy water - if you choose. Good luck.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-10-06)
Why Catholic holy water? Lutheran holy water isn't magical enough? God won't imbue water blessed by an Anglican or Eastern Orthodox priest with sufficient power? What about Jewish or Buddhist holy water? Way too far off base to work? What's the reasoning for advising the use of Catholic holy water?
ghostGuy (45 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-10-06)
You don't seem scared enough.
A normal haunting leaves people looking
Like yesterdays sock puppets.
If there is something there, it appears that
They can be bullied into crossing over.
Keep a track of the activity.
Miricles51031- ditto.
JimD (431 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-10-06)
Hi;

Well, assuming it's not an over active imagination, it COULD be demonic. I'd suggest saying, even internally to yourself, "Jesus and Mary help me" and using Catholic Holy water - if it increases. That's my input. God bless you and don't worry - it'll be ok. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
IF it turns out to be ghosties-

Get some cold iron to keep on hand.

Cold iron is a poetic and archaic term for iron, referring to the fact that it feels cold to the touch. In modern usage the term has been most associated with folkloric beliefs that iron could ward off ghosts, fairies, witches, and/or other malevolent supernatural creatures.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore#Cold_iron
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Ellie7 - I don't know if your cabinet drawers are like this, but mine are. If they are on slides, they are to keep your cabinet drawers from closing completely if you don't do it yourself. What I mean is, if you just push the drawer, it will only close to a certain spot. This prevents "slamming" shut. I believe some cupboard doors are the same way. I have to physically close mine that extra little bit.

Try this and see if your cabinet drawers and cupboard doors are like that. Also, are you sure someone else hadn't been in the kitchen and you just weren't aware of it?

Before you think "ghost," make sure it's not something normal. If you've done all of that, then maybe there is something else.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: