You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Rental Property

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Rental Property

 

I bought a rental property in 2007, and first let my brother and his wife live there for about six months, the only strange thing that happened was my sister-in-law fell down the stairs in the first week that they had moved in, and sprained her ankle.

Then when they moved out, I rented out the property to a woman and her daughter. In the first week the mother had fallen down the stairs and broke her leg. When the tenant mentioned it in passing, at that time I thought to myself how strange, as my sister-in-law had fallen down those same stairs. It's not like the stairs are old, slippery, but quite the contrary. The stairs are carpeted (new) and in a narrow stairway.

One time my husband and I went to the property to do some land scaping, when the tenant was at work. The next door neighbor came over to see what we were doing, and asked if we had any other people in mind to rent the property to, as he had known the tenant had given notice as she was transferring to another city for her job.

As we stood talking he mention something about this haunted house, and I asked him what he was talking about, and he said, "has your tenant not told you?", and this is what he said.

"Before you bought the property the house sat vacant for a while, and once in a while someone would come by to check it, but other than that nobody was living there. The people used to come by and find the upstairs window open and they would close and lock, only to find when they came back the windows would be open again. There was no evidence of anybody entering the property, and the alarm would have gone off.

Your tenant informed me that someone had pushed her down the stairs, when she first moved in, and they hear and see ghosts in the house." I started to laugh and, and said, "are you serious"?, and he replied, "yes, this is what she told me."

Later on that evening when we went home I called the tenant to inform her that we were landscaping in the yard today, and was speaking to the neighbor. I relayed to her what he had told me, and she replied, "Well, I did not want to tell you in case you thought I was crazy, but my daughter and I are very sensitive to this type of stuff, and there is a little boys who looks about 8 or 9, but my daughter is more than I, and she tells me there is also a woman here too. The little boy likes to play hide and seek, as he is always running around hiding behind stuff."

I also asked her about the stairs, and she said, "yes!" someone did push her, who, she is not sure, she thought it could of been a bad spirit, so she had a preist come by and bless the house.

She said, since she had told me that she is moving now every night she said she hears tapping on the walls, and someone walking around the house. She said it getting so bad its disrupting her sleep, and she cannot function properly at work in the day.

The tenant had also contacted a moving company to get a quote, so the man came by and was walking around the house, when all of the sudden he lost his footing, and fell down the stairs, thank God the only thing that was hurt was his ego.

The tenant's daughter is attending University in another city, and called to her mom and said, "be very careful as the little boy is mad you are leaving." She said, "I guess he see's me as a mother."

Well, since then the tenant's transfer did not happen, so she is now staying. She told me once the decision was made that she was staying, the knocking at night has now stopped.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Landlord, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GreyFeather (44 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-09)
I live in a haunted rental house. The landlord knows it's haunted, but chooses to ignore it-except, won't go in the attic or basement, or go alone in here. I think there should be a warning to tenants before a lease sign. It's very detrimental to the family. The lack of sleep, expense of "supplies" to get rid of them and for "protection", the physical and mental stress draining and irritating everyone, the undermining of the religious teachings that everyone wants answered (especially the frightened children). It's like a pestilence of fleas, bedbugs, or roaches-only, worse!
ghostGuy (45 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2011-10-06)
It's hard to tell from second hand accounts.
Something doesn't sound right.
Another Amityville Horror accout it seems.
Windows opening by themselves and ghosts pushing
People around. Ghosts just don't have that much
Energy to spare.
maz1029 (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
I can relate to that story so well because my best friend has very similar things like that happen to her but yours stopped and that s a good thing. I do like the idea of researching the property like DragonStorm says. Good luck if decide to, we have tried on our property that we rent from but no luck and our landlord won t tell us anything until we move, going to b awile, already been here 5 years.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
Wow! First of all your tenants are very brave.
Second, I think a different type of entity must be in those stairs due to the bad falls there.

Thanks for the update and I do hope you find something on the land before the house was built.

And third, Hope you dind peace for your tenants.

Note: One of our renters for one of our homes the manage, saids that there's a man spirit in the house but is more of a protector so she doesn't mind him lol.

Respecfully,
Looney.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
Hi Landlord, this is pretty interesting, and I would love to know if you find out anything about the property. Did you investigate the stair case at all? Sometimes there could be a loose or uneven step that people are not aware of that causes them to lose their balance. You also mentioned that the staircase is narrow, this could also cause a person to experience a touch of vertigo. Just wanted to throw out a couple of other explanations just in case the little boy or woman were not to blame for them falling. Did your sister-in-law mention that she felt pushed? Thanks for posting 😊
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
wow, sounds like that house needs to be blessed properly. Tell her that any insence can make them less active.

❤ qt
Landlord (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
I actually thought of doing that when I get a spare moment. As you, I am also curious who this is, and why they are there.
This property is about 60 years old, so really does not go that far back, but maybe it could have something to do with the land or what was sitting there before this house. Can tell you one thing, my husband and I are very careful around the stairs, if we need to go in and fix something. When I research the property, I will update this story. Thank you for your comment.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2011-10-05)
samer ~ question how can you kill a ghost when technically they are already dead? Just curious...
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
Wow, is there any way you can research the history of the property and some how try to find out who could possibly be haunting the property so you and your tenant can some how better understand what is happening over there?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: