You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Wall Banging, Growls, And Children Playing

Real Ghost Stories

Wall Banging, Growls, And Children Playing

 

I have always had an interest in the paranormal but never expected anything to happen to me. That changed when we moved into our first house. We lived in a trailer park for the first 12 years of my life. My parents went and looked at a house and fell in love with it and made an offer before us kids even got to see it. It was a great house, handmade by the original owner by a design in a magazine in the '70s. We all loved it and it is still the house we all like best. I was the only one to ever experience anything paranormal. My brother and sister have been shocked to hear these stories when I have told them now that they're older and we don't live there.

I feel it necessary to describe the way our room was. There were two doors, one was a closet and one was a bedcloset, which eventually was made into my own room.

We had been living there about a month before I had my first paranormal experience. I was alone in the room that my sister and I shared, writing as I used to do a lot back then. I had done this a lot and was something I looked forward to every day. I was writing like normal, and from within the far corner of the bedcloset I heard something pound the wall, like something had been thrown or something punched the wall. I played it off, there were weird sounds outside sometimes. Within minutes, I heard the bang again but it was closer to the door. Then another, closer to the door. At this point I am staring at the door wondering what on earth is in there!

Finally, whatever it was slammed into the door and the door shook as if someone was on the other side. I ran out and told my family, which I was scolded for because they thought I was lying. My brother and sister (both younger than me) wanted to go see, so we went up and looked into our room. The door was opened, it was closed when I had left, and it was pulling open and shut by itself. We ran back down and now my dad believed me, and came up to pray over the bedcloset (he was a minister). That never happened again and I enjoyed having it as my room when it was remodeled.

The next experience I had I was alone in my brother's room playing a video game. Everyone else was downstairs together. All of a sudden from the corner by the window I heard a very deep growl. We lived by a train so I looked over but saw no train going by. We were also in the city so it couldn't have been something coming from outside like a bear. The growling got scarier and louder and more angry. I ran out and didn't tell anyone as I didn't want my brother to know that something was in his room if it hadn't bothered him at all.

Next, a friend was over one night and we were in the basement, with my brother and sister. We looked out a window and saw the reflection of my brother's bedroom window upstairs on the neighbors' window. We could see the light was on in his room and there was a silhouette in the window, looking back at us. My friend didn't want to ever come over again. I wanted to try out having someone stand there and seeing if it looked like what we saw, but no one wanted to do it with me.

After the bedcloset was fixed up into my room, I would spend time in there, writing as usual. One night I was upstairs and all the lights were off other than in my room. I started to hear children running back and forth between my brother and sister's room. I yelled out at them telling them to turn the lights on and be careful. No one replied and it quieted down for a while and then started again. I yelled again. No reply. I got up and went out, they weren't up there. I went downstairs and told them not to run around in the dark like that, because they would get hurt. They hadn't been upstairs for hours. This happened several other times and I would just stop and listen and enjoy the fact I was finally having a paranormal experience.

Other than the growl and bangs, I didn't ever feel scared there, just curious. I don't know what haunted that house or why, it seemed like residual, intelligent and demonic experiences all at once! I've always wanted to share my stories in a forum and I'm glad I found this site. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by smixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, smixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-28)
Nice, clean and neat experiences smixie. Good narration. Thanks for sharing and if you have any further paranormal encounters, please share with us. But still someone should have heeded to your advise and stood in your brother's room so that you could have verified other facts. Its ok. But, good paranormal experience indeed.
Greyle (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-28)
I feel bad your parents didn't believe you. Once I was nearing the ground on a plane on my way to new Orleans with a few friends and I saw something out the window and told one of my friends and she did not believe me. 😢 I'll write about it soon
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
I want to add a little something... My sister DID have an experience in this house! We had a bunk bed, and she slept on the bottom bunk, even after I moved into the new room. She said once when she was lying in her bed, she could hear loud, obnoxious breathing coming from the top bunk as if someone was lying up there. I asked her if it was growly like what I had heard in my brother's room, but she said it was just like a normal person breathing really loud. She said she ran out of the room and that never happened again. I wondered if maybe it was one of the children I heard playing trying out the fun bed? Heehee!
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
mott35- yeah, I thought that too. But my little brother would watch ghost shows about it and he believes as well as my sister in paranormal things but they never made themselves known to them. It's SO weird!

Grimm-reaper24: ohh that's so sweet it sounded like a shih tzu growl. That's the type of dogs my family has and we bred them... I WISH that the growl I heard sounded like that, but this growl was so scary.

Darkside- yes, I agree with the idea that it probably wasn't demonic. The only thing that made me think it was demonic was the growl that sounded like it wasn't of this earth... But I suppose it could have been the same spirit that was pounding the wall? It was in a different room but maybe it was mad we kicked it out of there and it was bored... Haha

Jrthompson- this was a possibility I considered, but the wall banging happened before we remodeled the room. Maybe just using it as storage was enough of a change that it ticked it off a bit?

Thanks for all the comments guys! So happy to put these experiences into a forum with fellow believers. When I've told these stories to anyone I've known they just get scared and want to change the subject...
jrthompson (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-10)
There's a popular theory that if your renivate a space or even an entire room, your can invoke paranormal activity. It may have been when your room was made. 😳
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-10)
smixie: I enjoyed your story, as previously mentioned yes you may be more intune with your spiritual side so this would explain why it was only you who experienced these events. There no doubt is some history involved with the home that would relate to what you witnessed did you ever find anything out about the home and land? Residual and intelligent most likely but demonic I don't think so, have you had any other experiences. 😊

Thanks for sharing

Dan
mott35 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-09)
I tend to believe that if you refuse to believe there are ghosts, you will never see or hear anything because they would dismiss anything that happens. Some people can hear, clairaudience, and some people can see them. Maybe no one else in your family experienced things because they have neither. When I was a kid, I heard whispering in the other room late at night. It was full blown conversation, I could hear a man and a woman and she was laughing between what she was saying. I yelled out to my brother in the other room and said "Do you hear that?" and he said "Hear what?". It was just me and my brother in the house at the time. I got up and looked around and it stopped. You are more sensitive because you are more open to it. I find it interesting, too, rather than scary. I invite them to communicate but tell them not to do it in a scary way, so things are often subtle... Like knocks or I ask them to show me a sign, like feathers in strange places, and they do. Our dogs are still around, too. Sniffing, dog collar tinkling. So, the dog you hear is probably yours protecting you. Interesting story... 😊
Grimm-Reaper24 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-09)
i heard a growl several months ago come from behind my recliner... But it wasn't a threatening type of growl but more of a protective growl. Like whatever it was whether it be demonic or a ghostly dog, was trying to protect me from my other neighbors it saw. It kind of sounded like my mom's shih tzu whenever he sees someone walking by.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
I also agree with stephy. I have always believed the same thing. Thank you stephy for mentioning it 😊.
Thank you for sharing
daughterofdarkness1234 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me! I can picture the room a lot easier now.
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
daughterofdarkness- Thank you for your sympathies... I always was a dramatic kid so I could see where my dad wouldn't believe me... It's okay though, I know it's real and I dealt with it myself. And I totally meant to clarify what a bedcloset was! It's more of a thing in older houses. It was actually a little room off of the room that my sister and I shared. It was a small enough room that you could use it as a closet, yet big enough that you could fit a bed in. Hence, bedcloset.
daughterofdarkness1234 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
That's a very interesting story. Of course, I'm sure these events were terrifying in person. I don't do windows at night, so... Yeah. I'd have been screaming bloody murder at that. I also agree with stephyw2001. I've never thought of that, and it seems very possible. I'm sorry that your father didn't believe you. I know how you feel about people not believing you, as my mom doesn't believe me about the ghosts I have at my home. Anyway, its 11:30 PM, and I'm rattling on. Once again, interesting story. Oh, and what's a bed closet? I'm not sure and I'd like to picture the room a little better.
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
steph- after that, I didn't mention anything to him. He tended to think I made even the one I told him about up, even though I never would have lied about that. Unless it hurt me or anyone else I decided I'd just keep it to myself. And I agree with you on your point about spirits being attracted to people who are more spiritual.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
neat story! Your father was a minister? Did you ever mention any of the events after the one where he prayed? I have a theory that when people are of a higher spiritual nature, that they emit more spiritual energy than people who say, don't pray every day. I think that all spirits are attracted to these higher energy levels, and that is why there are so many "hauntings" in religious locations and in the homes of people with strong religious beliefs.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: