You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Doppleganger Of My Brother

Real Ghost Stories

Doppleganger Of My Brother

 

This is another one of my experiences that took place when I was 8. I was living in my childhood home (mentioned in other stories) and I shared a bedroom with my brother who was 5 or 6 at the time. We had a bunk bed and I had the bottom bunk while he took the top. I started having sleep problems around this age, and the experience I had happened on two separate nights.

The first night, I was laying in bed, trying to sink into sleep. I remember that I was awake, because I distinctly remember my dog laying in bed beside me. I turned over to where my back was facing him and while I was readjusting my pillow, my eyes caught something at the foot of my bed. When I looked, I saw my brother laying down at the end of my bed, with his head propped up on his elbow, looking at me blankly. I was confused, so I was going to ask him what was going on, because I thought maybe he had a nightmare or something. But I barely got his name out of my mouth before my brother disappeared. He didn't just zap away either, it was like he evaporated and faded away. I had no idea what just happened, but I eventually went back to sleep.

The second night, I was laying in my bed again, trying to sleep, but I had to go to the bathroom really bad and it couldn't wait until the next morning. I got up to make my way to the bathroom.

The way that our house was set up, my bedroom door and the bathroom door were directly across from each other, separated by a narrow hallway. Both doors were always left open, so as soon as I got to the doorway of my room, I could see into the bathroom, or at least I would have been able to if it wasn't dark.

When I got to the doorway, I could see into the bathroom (this was before I needed glasses) and even though it was very dark, I could clearly see my brother at the sink brushing his teeth. I thought this was really strange, so I said, "Jake, what are you doing?" He was surprised, so he looked over at me, and no sooner did he look at me, he evaporated and disappeared just like last time.

I was very confused and a little creeped out but not scared because at this time I still thought that this somehow really was my brother. I forgot about having to pee, so I went back to my room and saw my brother's form in bed. He was still asleep!

I didn't learn about dopplegangers until much later in my life, but this is a possibility to explain what happened. I have also heard that astral projection could explain this, but it seems unlikely. My brother wouldn't astral-anything because he has never believed in anything like that and wouldn't try it.

Thoughts?

Other hauntings by ChildOfTheLotus

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ChildOfTheLotus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
Nysa,
It's so simple I don't know why it wasn't proposed regularly when it first occurred to me. I'm not claiming it wasn't, I just haven't found it yet if it was.
Here's the link to the story I had first proposed this theory (My alias back then was DCinAZ) :
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=10745
The only one to pick up on it was DARKNESS. We've been tag teaming these stories ever since

You also have a valid point about the previous posts, but I like mine to have an alternate opinion so the O/P can have all available possibilities from which to choose. And though residual haunting was mentioned below, it wasn't clearly laid out, in my opinion. And judging from your reaction alone, I feel I must have gotten my point across. Thank you.

Jav
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
Holy guacamole Javalina! Why had that never occurred to me? If a residual haunting is some kind of recording, obviously it would exist from the moment it recorded. And whatever causes it to play back would not have to wait for the person to die. I am blown away that that obvious fact had never occurred to me. 😲

I don't think the brother's surprise is a huge hurdle to overcome. It's not unthinkable that a boy was startled & looked behind him in surprise once when brushing his teeth. Though I would think it would be difficult for even he, himself, to say for sure if that circumstance ever happened; leaving the door wide open for the other, very plausible, suggestions discussed in earlier comments.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
ChildOfTheLotus,
I enjoyed reading this one. Doppleganger experiences just fascinate me to no end. Honestly? That would have creeped me out bad! I put it at about a '9' on the Creep-O-Meter. You can't have that happen at 8 years old and not affect you in some way.
However, I am a firm proponent for the theory of the "Living Residual". It simply means that if we are subject to residual hauntings on the theory of a recorded event being randomly played back to us like a movie clip, and the recording itself is a nature based anomally, there is no reason why a person's recorded image and/or action would have to wait for their death to occur before it started playing back. Why it would just be your brothers image that you saw is up in the air, perhaps he has a higher or lower electrical synaps firing rate. BUT, there is one problem with this theory as it applies to your situation. That is the action of your brother being surprised by you, looking over at you, and then evaporating. That is the single most important action of this entire scenario that has me stumped. And that alone qualifies it as an actual Doppleganger experience.
I saw another one about a year ago where the girl that was thought to be one had actually waved in her friends direction. However, if that wave was a regular act because they met at the same cafe each day, same time as well, and it was a toss up on it
If you can think of any reason he would have looked in your direction while brushing his teeth, maybe it would be different.
Very cool experience! First time I've ever given in to the Doppleganger theory too. Thank you for that.

Jav

~~PS~~I don't know how I missed this one, I usually try and catch the Doppleganger stories when they come up. DARKNESS does as well, and it seems we both missed it. But it is cool to beat him to this one for once!~ [ kidding]NOT! 😊
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
Brittany, it's called Always in the Darkness. If you click on my name it should be in the list of my favourite stories
BrittanyNoel (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
Thanks Fanny! I will definetly look for the story, was it recently posted?
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
[at] Brittany, I read a story on here, I think yesterday, about a girl who heard a ghost use her brothers voice to call her into a dark shed and I think another time it used her fathers voice. Keep hitting the back arrow at the top of the stories, you'll eventually find it. Sorry I don't remember what it was called.

So essentially, Yes I do think a spirit can manipulate their voice to take on that of someone you know. After all they can appear to us in any form they want so why not change their voice too. Looking forward to reading your story.

Best,
Fanny ❤
BrittanyNoel (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
I just want to throw this out there since I am not able to post my first story or questions officially until Monday... For some reason this story reminded me of a time when we lived in "The House" which I will elaborate on as soon as I can post my story. My mother claims that one night while she was at the house alone, she recieved a phone call (not sure if it was landline or cell) from what was presumed to be my father. She said there was no small talk, as soon as she answered the call he began saying nasty, sexual things to her while using words that were familiar between the two of them (gross, I know right! Lol). He hung up abruptly so she called his number back and he answered claiming he was busy helping someone with something and became irritated when she insisted that he had just called her. To this day, he denies ever calling her saying those things. This may sound a bit outlandish but considering what other hellish things happened in that house I don't doubt it at all! Does anyone think it is possible for a spiritual being to use a humans voice for manipulation as well as their body? I have always wanted other opinions on this particular subject. Thank you in advance!
TIGERKING (2 stories) (60 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
well we never can be 100 percent sure about what these things are. I've had a similar experience. I won't claim to know the answer because I don't know. But I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. A good experience but not dangerous. That's the vibe I get anyway.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Did you ever ask your brother if he experienced similar episodes? As in: him brushing his teeth and having you ask him and then your disappearing?

It almost sounds as if you and your brother were having time displacements.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
intersting post COTL and some interesting thoughts in the comments too.
Astral projection is a possibility and like geetha also mentioned a recording of the incidents is also a possibility!
Guess its a mistery that might never get solved, but enjoyed reading the post anyway 😊
Carl
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I found out recentely that I had an astral projection experience, and believe me I didn't even think about doing such thing! So I believe that it can happen whether you want it or not...
Geetha50, that's a very interesting theory! Could that be possible? It makes sense, I am curious now!

God bless ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I like to put another point view out there. What about residual hauntings. I have read many times on this site about how the spirit's residual would be left behind when a person dies and things repeat themselves. I also read that this also happens to people who are still alive; their imprints on the house makes the residual hauntings happen. Experts, what do you think?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
COTL: 😆 He had astrally nasty bad breath! LOL... It should be interesting to hear others' take, too...
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Wow! I can't believe I got so many comments in such a short time.
[at] zzsgranny, thanks for the kind welcoming.
[at] Steph, Nope. No twin. He is my only sibling.

I didn't know that people could astral project without trying to. That's a new notion to me. Maybe he felt the need to brush his astral teeth.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I agree with DeviousAngel. I don't think you have to try to make it happen for it to happen. And I agree with Stephy that a person might think they were only dreaming. I used to have "dreams" all the time where I would float out of my body and I would try to stop myself by grabbing onto something. It never worked and I would float through the ceiling and go flying out off of the planet into space. It really creeped me out.

Granny, I think you may be on to something there. I never believed in it either and that didn't stop it from happening!
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I agree that astral projection is something you might not even know you're doing. A person could merely think they were dreaming.

Your brother didn't have a twin did he?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I do not think you have to consciously try to astrally project all of the time. I have heard other people explain experiences where they did it accidentally, much to the frustration of the community that works hard at trying to do it lol. It is possible that this was a doppelganger, but I think the astral projection theory could be equally sound.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
ChildoftheLotus: I don't think it makes any difference whether someone believes in astral projection or not... Many (myself included) feel that we do it unintentionally almost every time we sleep... I think it's exactly what your brother was doing, even if he didn't realise it 😆...

Welcome back, and thanks for posting! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: