You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Mirror Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Mirror Ghost

 

In my 24 years of life, I have had numerous encounters with ghosts and paranormal events. I have decided to write about each of them individually in chronological order starting with my very first experience which occurred when I was about seven years old... My mirror ghost.

When I was younger (than seven, I mean), I used to sleep in a bedroom on the second floor of my parents' two story house. When my younger brother was born (when I was five), my parents moved their bedroom and mine downstairs and made a third bedroom down there for my brother. In the end, the layout of bedrooms ended up being my room on the right as soon as you hit the bottom of the staircase, my brother's room was second on the right, the downstairs bathroom was straight ahead, and my parents' bedroom was on the left directly across from my brother's room.

As you turned into my bedroom, my bed was on the right alongside the wall my room shared with the staircase. Beside the bed, on the left, sat a small nightstand. On the left, along the wall my room shared with my brother's room, stretched a long, short bureau with a large mirror attached at its center. Straight ahead were two closets, one narrow closet with two mirrored accordion doors and the other a wider closet with four pastel-pink, shutter-like doors which hid the oil tank. In front of the pink closet stood a high bureau on top of which my TV sat.

Because we lived on a rural road without streetlights, the downstairs was pretty much pitch-black every night so my parents put a small nightlight in every room to ensure that no one would run into a wall or anything on their way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

That night, I crawled into bed and my mother and father tucked me in as always and then put my dog, Gus Gus (a small white Maltese) on the bed with me. They kissed me good night and turned off the bedroom light, leaving only the amber glow of the nightlight which was plugged in beside the night stand. I remember falling asleep without any trouble.

A few hours later, I awoke to my dog growling. Now, Gus Gus was a sweet dog who never out-and-out growled at anything that wasn't an obvious threat so I was immediately scared when I heard him. There was a train a mile or two behind my parents' house and the vibrations of it did cause my dog to bark and growl when I first got him back when I was two. However, by the time of this particular incident I had owned Gus Gus for six years and by that time his only reaction to the trains were to chuff and then go back to whatever he had been doing.

Knowing that it wasn't the train he was growling at, I tried to figure out what else could have caused his reaction. I looked down at him where he was lying beside me and I expected him to be growling towards my doorway... But he was staring at the pink closet behind my television set. I looked in that direction and saw nothing so I turned to go back to sleep. Which is when my gaze fell on the mirror in the center of the long bureau. It was angled in such a way that, from my position on my bed, with my back facing the wall adjoining the outside front of the house, the reflection in the mirror was that of the pink closet from the bureau my TV sat on to the corner where the outside wall met the edge of the pink closet.

In the reflection, I saw a semi-transparent, human-shaped, white cloud floating slowly along behind my TV but in front of the pink closet and heading for the outside wall. I immediately turned my head back toward the pink closet only to see nothing. So I turned to the mirror once again and the cloud was still there, but it had progressed further towards the outside wall. I watched it continue its journey until it actually vanished through the wall.

I never got any sense that the spirit intended me any harm or that it even realized I was there at all. The spirit didn't scare me so much as startle me a bit. Though to this day I have trouble sleeping in rooms that have mirrors in them as they give me a sensation that I am being watched. However, as far as the spirits I have encountered in my lifetime, this is the one that confuses me the most. Why was my dog growling at it? What was it doing in my house? And, the most puzzling question of all, why could I only see it when I was looking in the mirror?

For those of you who may think it was a trick of the light caused by the nightlight in my room, I slept in that room from the time I was five years old to the time I was ten and I had a nightlight through most of those years. In all that time, that was the only instance where I saw a phenomenon like that. Also, I asked my father if his house had been built over anything. Native American burial ground or the foundation of a destroyed building, anything like that. My dad checked (mainly because I refused to leave him alone until he did) and according to town records and construction reports (which in Maine, as in most states with Native American cultures residing in them, would have had a report of the unearthing of human remains) there was absolutely no indication that anything existed on the spot my parents' house occupies, other than trees, right up until the time my dad built the house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, frozen_midnight, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jabbajones (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-13)
Hi,Frozen Midnight!
Thank you for sharing your mirrror ghost with us. I am also uncomfortable with mirrors kept in the bedroom for the same reason. Just a fun coincidence, I also have a maltese named Gus Gus!
Diskonnekted-X (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-16)
In relation to your story I also can't sleep in any room with a mirror in it, unless of course it is turned around away from my eye sight, I feel really... Uncomfortable. The paranormal can either allow you to see or not to see maybe this particular "ghost" did not exactly want to bother you and I'm sure you can tell by how sudden it left after your dog sighted it. The mirror is somewhat stronger than eye sight and reflects everything even in some cases the paranormal. Then it comes down to your dog (hehe such a protective little dog) dogs, cats and many other animals have much better sighting than us human beings and have the ability to see things that even we cannot set our eyes on (well in some cases we can) your dog recognised this source as something that was not supposed to be there or something that he did not usually come across which would cause him to become protective and cautious of his surroundings.

Hope you share more of your stories with us:) <3
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-16)
I agree the dog just didn't recognize whatever it was and had his protectiveness up. The thing with mirrors being portals I suspected but had never had it confirmed until now, I am quite intrigued by this!

Thank you for sharing your story 😊
BrittanyNoel (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
WOW! Funny thing is, here recently my sister claimed she saw a man pacing up and down my hallway whereas I have yet to see anything paranormal in my house. (I previously lived in a VERY haunted house for 6 years) When we were talking about it one night, she told me she felt bad energy coming from the extra bedroom. We went in and immediately she noticed that the two large mirrors left by the previous occupants were facing each other from across the room (they were both propped up against the wall on the floor) and insisted that I move one of them because for some reason it felt "wrong" and that this might be the reason for the haunting. Until reading this story and the comments, I have never realized mirrors were thought to be connected with the spirit world somehow. If anyone knows anything else about this, do tell! 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
What cosmogal said is true. That was my first thought. Animals have the ability to see what we don't and it probably was something that he didn't recognize.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
I agree with cosmo. My brother has three chihuahuas, and if anyone, even family members, walk down the hall at night with the door to the room the dogs are in shut, they will growl because they think an intruder is trying to get in. Dogs are very protective creatures and it may have felt that you were afraid. You would be amazed at how perceptive animals are.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
Hello frozen midnight, In regards to your questions I would like to offer you what I think could be the reasoning. It is believed that animals can sense spirits even if we are unaware of their presence. Your dog growled probably because it was something he wasn't used to, or knew that it was not supposed to be there. So kind of like a "who the heck are you?" type of growl. Some people believe that mirrors are portals for spirits to pass in and out of. You were only able to see it through the mirror because I think it can reflect the image better than the naked eye. Many cultures will cover all the mirrors in their home when someone passes away so the person's spirit will not get stuck in the home, or bring anything else in. I honestly don't blame you for being uncomfortable sleeping in rooms with mirrors, I would be too. Thanks for sharing your story with us, and take care. 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: