You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Figure In Trenchcoat And Cowboy Hat

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Figure In Trenchcoat And Cowboy Hat

 

So it was Oct 11th 2011. I am in my bed with my wife and 2 year old daughter. About 530 am. My alarm goes off. So I reach and turn it off and I turn and look to our doorway and there stands a dark figure. Now keep in mind that the bedroom is pretty dark.

So this figure appears to be wearing a cowboy hat and a long coat. No significant details just an outline, which was very defined. But it was almost as if the figure was transparent. Like looking at something through a tinted window. So all I can do is just stare and try to figure out what in the hell it is. Whether it's a spirit, a ghost or just a part of my imagination.

Well the staring goes on for about 45 seconds, and he is facing our direction. Not sure who or what he was looking at though. Just as my eyes become focused he started to just slowly disappear. He did not move or walk away, he just simply slowly evaporated. And then he was gone. I am still not sure what it was. Was it me or was it real? So I have read similar experiences and now I don't feel so crazy.

No one in my family has died yet and I pray that nobody does. This is the first time seeing this figure for me. I want to tell my wife but I know she will freak out. I would like to think that it was a guardian angel or something like that. The death thing freaks me out a little bit. But the cool part about it was that I was not scared. I mean when I hear other peoples stories it gives me chill bumps and I think to myself, if that was me I would have crapped myself. This was not like that at all. It was a staring contest. Only I had no idea who it was or what it could have wanted. I wish I knew. Not knowing the purpose of the visit is worse than the actual encounter.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, COWBOYJR85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-04)
May be it is this guy?
Http://www.jesusisnojoke.com/theshadowpeople/id19.html

The garb, the lack of a fear response or palpable sense of evil and the stare-down seem to fit.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-17)
Depending of the History of the Home/Property it may have been nothing more than a residual haunting... The 'stare down' may have felt that way as you strained your eyes in an attempt to make sure you were not seeing things.

Your 'gut feeling' during this experience can go a long way in determining the nature of this experience... And you stated you were not scared... There is a good chance you were seeing just a 'captured moment' in time.

Respectfully,

Rook
believer21 (3 stories) (56 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-17)
Good to know I wasn't alone in picturing John Marston.
I agree with R.V. Could be attatched to the land. He sounds harmless and you didn't feel threatned, so I wouldn't worry.
Has your daughter ever mentioned seeing a "cowboy"? Just curious. 😁
Lovethis (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-17)
I think you don't have to worry about it because as it's normal you're afraid of something like that happening to you, but... It happened and you weren't scared. I've heard it just happens when the being visiting is harmless, or more than that, when it has good intentions like watching over you.
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-16)
As creepy as he is, maybe he's a guardian. Maybe the spirit is just checking in as a very old relative.
ReliquiasVeritae (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-16)
Even if nobody has died in the house, it could still be haunted. Some spirits are attached to the land itself, not any particular landmark or building. You described him as wearing a long trenchcoat and a cowboy hat, which would lead me to believe he's from the mid-to-late Wild West era (about 1880 to 1910). Haha, the first image in my mind when you described him was John Marston, from the video game "Red Dead Redemption."

He seems harmless, as he posed no threat to you or your family. He could possibly be a residual haunting, or an energy imprint left on the enviornment. Either way, I'd research the history of your property. You might come across something amazing.
TIGERKING (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-15)
could be the guy off jeepers creepers. Just joking. I think it's somrthing real, but nothing to worry about. I see things sometimes as I wake up. I mean vividly see them, make eye contact and acknowlege each other. I reckon it's just a spirit. Could be wrong.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
Nah, he's not a doppelganger or some such. Despite the cowboy hat I'd be thinking he's of anything to worry too terribly about.

Http://www.unknown-creatures.com/shadow-people.html
lynrinth (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
I mean letting you know he's around. I always miss certain words.
lynrinth (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
It could've been just a spirit showing himself to you, letting you he's around.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: