You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Rude Awakening And The Growling Greeting

Real Ghost Stories

The Rude Awakening And The Growling Greeting

 

I lived in Austin, Texas for about a year spanning Spring 06 to Spring 07. During the last few months of that time we lived in a cute little apartment off the 620 and never had any issues, until we brought an old portrait of a Native American chief from my boyfriend's family last time we visited them. The portrait was displayed on the wall in our master bedroom either on my side of the room or the wall closest to the foot of the bed.

Soon after bringing that item into our home I started not being able to comfortably fall asleep on my own in the bed. I even felt uneasy being in the room in the dark, but I hadn't yet attributed it to the portrait.

Until the morning I was slowly waking up only to be quickly (and rudely!) woken up by a very solid::THUMP:: to my chest. Not the kind you would get from a fist; it was more like when someone uses their index finger and thumb to "flick" you. My eyelids shot open to look at absolutely nothing. I sat up immediately in a panic and a yelp, startling my boyfriend awake (he had been on his side facing away from me). I told him what happened and he said I was imagining things. He went back to sleep but I got up to get ready for the day. There was no way I was getting back to sleep!

There was a decently big walk-in closet attached to the master bedroom by a door which even had it's own light inside. I stepped inside, flipped the light on and shut the door most of the way so the light wouldn't disturb my boyfriend (the closet was on his side of the room). Thinking it was all over and that maybe it was all in my head I started to relax. Half way through getting dressed though, I had someone/thing making a growling noise literally right in my ear! It was as if the thing's "mouth" was no more than an inch from my right ear! Oddly enough, the growl sounded kind of like it was a long drawn out "Hi"...regardless, I screamed, waking my boyfriend up again and bolted out of the closet and jumping over him onto my side of the bed.

Neither of us had any concrete explanation for either incident, but I did make him get rid of that portrait and never had anything happen again.

Other hauntings by danigrl8484

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, danigrl8484, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Hi,
I have also heard that type of growling up close when no one was beside me (check out my story). It's no wonder you got rid of the painting straight away!
danigrl8484 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
The reason I associated the experience with the portrait is because a) it had just recently been brought into our home and hung on the wall and b) we took the portrait down and it never happened again. Of course it could just be coincidental, but it was the first thing I thought of.
I don't recall if the Native American was related to my boyfriend's family in any way but I am pretty sure he has Native American ancestry.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
That is creepy... Just have two questions... What made you associate your experience with the portrait? Also, is the portrait of the Native American a member in your boyfriend or was it a picture of some random Native American?
danigrl8484 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
While I've heard of the belief of souls being in objects like that and think it's possible, I'm unaware of any previous happenings with the portrait, however it had been in storage in the garage for who knows how long. That's where we found it.

[at] GhostSpotting: I don't mind =)
GhostSpotting (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-18)
Great story! I hope you don't mind, I've posted it to my blog: http://ghostspotting.com/the-rude-awakening-and-the-growling-greeting/

I've linked back to the original post, of course.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-18)
You know there has been a persistent belief, found in many places around the world, that representations of people (whether painting, photo, or statue) of a person carries a piece of their soul in it as long as it exists.

I, too, am curious about experiences of previous owners. Maybe something they did not associate with the picture, but went away after you took it. I assume they would not knowingly pass it on to their son with something creepy attached to it.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-18)
That was pretty creepy. It's possible there could have been soemthing attached to the portrait. Did your boyfriend's family ever experience anything while they had it?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-18)
Very interesting... I am not sure if the portrait had anything to do with it, but if it creeped you out then maybe it was for the best that you got rid of it. Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: