You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sad Airman

Real Ghost Stories

Sad Airman

 

I joined the Air Force when I was 18 and was whisked away into a new life. I went through the normal basic training as any other airman does, and then proceeded to Mississippi for my technical training, to learn my actual job. I turned 19 while at that location, which was easy to do because I was there for over 9 months. My ghost story starts after I had been there a few months and I had just moved from one room to another, from one bay to another.

The bay had 7 rooms, each would house 2 airmen, so we always had a roommate. This bay was different because the three girls that were moved to that bay were on a special team, so there were only the three of us, to the entire bay, each of us choosing our own room. I chose the room at the very end that was next to this big bay window. Across the hall, the room was missing a door and was filled with extra desks, chairs, and other furniture.

One night, after I had gone to the movies with my friends, I went upstairs, opened my bay door and saw this figure staring out the bay window at the far end of the hall. Yep, the big bay window right next to my room. The figure was a gorgeous girl, late teens or early twenties. She had long, about shoulder blade length, brown hair and she was crying. She was dressed in what looked like a nightgown. Since I knew immediately that this was a ghost (not my first experience) I froze, which resulted in the big door behind me slamming shut with a loud bang.

The girl ghost turned when the door slammed and looked at me sadly. Then she turned and floated to the room without the door. I say floated because the pace of her walk, and the speed at which she actually moved didn't match up at all. So it was like she was on another plane of reality... But here. Weird, I know.

Needless to say, I smooshed my body as far against the opposite wall (the side my room was on) as I could, and slithered my way down the hall towards my room. I laugh now cause I imagine it would have been good for a mission impossible type movie, except that I was terrified. Anyway, I finally got to my room, still hadn't taken my eyes off the room the girl had gone into and managed to unlock my door behind my back. I ducked into my room and sat on my bed trying to calm down.

I ended up seeing her all of the time, always looking out the window, crying and then going to her room. If I was alone, she was there. She wasn't mean or hostile in any way, and I felt bad for her so I cleaned up the room one day while it was light out. The next time I saw her, she did the similar window gaze, turn to me and go to her room thing, but this time she gave me a small smile.

I eventually graduated that school and moved to North Carolina, and the building was torn down after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast. I've since moved back here to teach new students the same way I was taught 10 years ago, and when I drive by the corner where my room used to be, I still sort of feel she might be there.

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by JoBee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JoBee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-20)
[at] JoBee - hmmm. Maybe you could go there and see if you can feel her. That makes sense that she would be enlisted. Do you think she could have been a girl friend to someone who was enlisted. It appears like she was waiting for someone to come home.

[at] Jav - yeah I know! I've been so busy lately. I've hardly had time to breath. But I'm here, starting to ruffle some feathers again. LOL
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-20)
JoBee,
Cool! I'll keep my eyes open for it. And just so you know, I agree. It was an Airman. I think we can pick our own out when we see them. 😆

Jav

~ [at] Red,
Hey woman! It's about time! I never see you around anymore. Talk at you another day though, it's nap time for me.
JoBee (2 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-20)
It's a sad airman because she was in the military dorms. No civilians have ever lived in those dorms, or have access to those dorms for that matter. There is no way this girl wasn't enlisted herself. Now I could be wrong on the airman, it could be a soldier, or a seaman; but history leaves no doubt that she was enlisted at some point.

I would love to help her, but I don't know how since the buildings aren't there anymore. I don't know how I would be able to see her since she only ever 'showed' herself at the window on the 3rd floor.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-20)
why is this a sad airman? It seems it was sad young woman. Thank you for sharing. Maybe you could go back there and see if she is still there and help her to the otherside.
JoBee (2 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
Jav,

I added my other story. It's going through the process, but it'll be on here eventually.

Jo
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
JoBee,
Oh you must share this other experience! Especially if it's a trickster spirit, I love those.
Yeah, the thing about the hair. Rook is retired Navy, so I'm thinking maybe the ladies cut their hair short when they spend a lot of time out at sea perhaps? I don't know. All I can attest to is my experience in the Air Force. And yes, it was the same as you said, most of us let our hair remain long and just wore it up, no biggy.

Jav
JoBee (2 stories) (15 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
Jav~

Sorry, yes on Keesler AFB. In the triangle. The building I work in is haunted too, but that one is a man in uniform. Really dated fatigues. He's pretty funny actually, he likes to mess with me by locking me out of rooms. I should share that one too.

Thanks for reading! ❤
JoBee (2 stories) (15 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
To answer some questions...
1. I'm pretty sure she was an airman. I had heard rumor of a girl committing suicide while living in those dorms. I can't attest to whether it was that room or what the girl looked like, only about the ghost I saw.

2. Her hair was mid shoulder-blade, so well past the collar regulations. I am active enlisted right now and my hair exceeds below my shoulder blader. I love keeping my hair long and have to wrap it up in a bun every day for work. But at night I leave it loose to flow. It was more typical to see girls in the dorms off-duty with their hair down than to see a girl with a short cut.

3. It was a female barrack while I was there, it's difficult to say who all of the occupants were in the 50 years prior to me being stationed there.

This is one of those stories that is more of a witness and trying to interact to alleviate suffering rather than figure out the reasoning. She never once tried to speak to me, or even acted as if she wanted to communicate. She didn't do the exact same motions over and over, however she did always go into her room when I entered the hallway. She looked as if she was bothering me by being the hallway, so left. So recognize that I had entered the hallway and then glide into her room. She was very sad, and very alone. Most people who commit suicide are very alone and very sad, which makes me believe she just lost her way and now she's just lingering.

Again, the building is gone, so I hope she is gone too. That the feelings I get when passing there are just residual rather than her stuck without somewhere to live.

I hope this helps clear up any questions. Thank you all so much for your input!
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
JoBee,
Thanks for the submission. Personally, I do not think that the girl was an airman. I think that her significant other was, and something tragic happened to him... And potentially to her later. I believe she is returning to where he was, when he passed... Not where she passed. I don't know the history of the facility, but if this was a male barracks, wouldn't it have served as that function in the past as well?...so the likelihood of her having died there...?

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
[at] Rook,
First of all, not all of us look good in short hair (lol), but a lot of the girls I was stationed with kept their hair long. It really wasn't that big of a deal to us.
The bay window? We had them in our Day Rooms. It wasn't a normal thing to have, but some of the older bases may have made use of buildings that were there before it was a base. Keesler AFB, was on the coast. Maybe it was there for the view of the ocean? That's all I come up with.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
JoBee,
At first, I was thinking this was a typical residual type haunting, seeing as the spirit seemed to repeat the same motions each time you noticed her. However, you say that after cleaning the room up, the next time you saw her she turned and smiled at you? That tends to make me believe you may have witnessed an intelligent haunting.
Either way, it was a very sad experience, and I thank you for sharing it here. Please let us know if you ever do come across this same spirit again. That would be very interesting.

Jav

~PS~ I am assuming this was at Keesler AFB. Is this the case?~ 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
Jav,

I understand this... But it's been my experience that the majority of enlisted females find it easier to maintain regs by wearing their hair 'shorter' rather than longer... It gets to a point that when pulled up and worn under a uniform hat an individual ends up having a hat that looks very silly due to the 'large size' needed to cover the hair that has been pulled up.

Sence you are Former Air Force... Do you have a guess as to why the 'Bay' these Ladies lived on had a Bay Window? That still sounds like it may have been a converted Private Home or Purhaps an Meeting House of some sort.

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
[at] Rook,
OK, since I am ex Air Force I'm going to weigh in here. When she saw the spirit, the spirit was in a night gown. Not in military dress. So her hair style has absolutely nothing to do with the apparition at that time. Regulation, as I recall, stated that while "in uniform" females hair could not touch the bottom of the collar. Nothing about how your hair was worn while off duty at all.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
JoBee,

Do you know the history of the Building that you were in at the time of this experience? I ask because you mention the bay window next to your room. I myself am retired Navy but our Barracks did not come with bay windows.

Also...

When you described the 'spirits' hair... You called it shoulder length, so I must ask... Top of the Shoulder, or Bottom of the Shoulder blade? I ask because US Air Force Regulations state in their Grooming Standards...

"Females

Hair will be styled to present a professional appearance. Plain and conservative pins, combs, headbands, elastic bands, and barrettes similar to the individual's hair color permitted to keep hair in place.

Hair will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or violate safety requirements. Will not extend in length on all sides below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar at the back of the neck. Will not exceed 3 inches in bulk or prevent proper wear of headgear. Will not include hair ornaments such as ribbons or jeweled pins."

Knowing how long this spirits hair was may help determine if she was enlisted or a civilian.

Just a couple of questions to think about...

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-18)
Fascinating. Biloxi no doubt. 9 months of training, so more than likely you were in a highly technical career field- possibly electronics. I can only imagine how different the Triangle is now... Over 21 years later.

Shoulder blade length hair? That is intriguing. Considering how difficult it would be to maintain such a length of hair with the Air Force Standards.

And yet she wasn't a phantasm, locked in time. She was actually interacting with you. I'd recommend leaving her a paper and pencil in an effort to communicate.

Considering how many other young airmen and airwomen have had their hearts broken there at Keesler. I'd not be surprised if the airman in question was one such.

Http://www.ghosteyes.com/hauntings-keesler-air-force-base
You can add yours to the list of haunting therein.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-18)
This was a very sad story indeed. I feel sorry for that girl! I hope she was able to move on. I think you did her a rather thoughtful kindness by cleaning the room up for her, and she acknowledged it with her little smile.
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-18)
That's a sad story, but thank you for sharing it.

Best,
Fanny ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: