You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: One Of The Strangest Places I've Ever Lived

Real Ghost Stories

One Of The Strangest Places I've Ever Lived

 

I used to live in a house in South Omaha that was built in 1895. Rumor has it, that it was once a mortuary and a funeral home -but I haven't confirmed that yet. I was told that by one of the other tenants and also by a maintenance man. They both claimed in the basement there was still old embalming equipment and in the attic area there was a few caskets and left over's from the funeral home business.

I wasn't aware of all this when I moved in - but it might offer some explanation for why strange things happened in that apartment.

I wondered if anyone else who lived there had bad experiences but I've never met anyone else who lived there after that whom I could ask. I know the apartment directly above us was occupied by people who were really dirty and did drugs and partied all the time. I say dirty because it took a crew of cleaning people several weeks to clean the place after they left and all the flooring upstairs had to be replaced - feces had to be scraped off to the point that it destroyed the flooring beneath it. Another one of the apartments had a prostitute living in it until she split one day. Her "associate" moved in after that and he was shady in his own right. He didn't look like a weirdo - but after I met him for the first time I got a very bad feeling. He knocked on our door one summer day to borrow a light bulb for his section of the shared wraparound porch. It had burned out and he said he needed the light for the evenings when he came home from work.

He was a relatively handsome man; he didn't look out of sorts or out of place but when he introduced himself to me for the first time as my neighbor, something inside me - told me that he was involved in p0rnography and that he had killed a woman. I couldn't shake that knowledge -that knowing of him - even though he never said a crude word to me or looked at me funny or anything. I thought I was nuts I didn't understand why I got this information about him in my mind and what I was supposed to do about it. I chose at that time to disregard it for the moment because what was coming into my mind wasn't jiving with what I was seeing in front of me.

A few months later, I had an occasion to visit him in his apartment for a beer. My boyfriend and myself and this guy found ourselves socializing periodically on the porch we all shared, so I felt like I needed to confirm or deny that information I received in my self when I met him, so I accepted his invitation to come over and shoot the breeze and have a beer. In hindsight I see that was a really stupid and bold move. I chalk it up to youth and gnawing curiosity.

He was slightly intoxicated already and the more he drank the looser his lips became. That's when I discovered that in his recent past and before they cleaned up the area he had managed a nude modeling studio over in Council Bluffs and pimped women out on the side. He also was involved in a second degree homicide of a woman in Des Moines Iowa in the 70's for which he served time in prison for. So there it was - his involvement in p0rnography and his killing of a woman - he actually shot this woman in the face at close range. They couldn't prove he did it on purpose, he claims that she attacked him in the car while he was driving and that he took a gun away from her and when she grabbed the wheel and tried to kill them both- he shot her in self-defense.

I don't know that I believe that - since my intuition warned me about him and after that was all confirmed for me, I kept my respectful distance from him until he moved out. I never felt comfortable with him after he spilled all that information to me while he was drinking. People over the course of my life often find themselves spilling their guts to me on a variety of subjects and I've heard many a confession. I think you should trust your intuition if you're given a clear message about someone you just met - don't doubt yourself. Someone above is looking out for you!

The actual paranormal stuff started one evening when my boyfriend and I came home from a launder mat around 8:30-9:00pm. In one of the large bay windows we both saw a small boy looking out of our living room window toward the street where we were parking our car.

It was a bit shocking since we both clearly saw the child silhouetted in the window. We had left a lamp light on in the living room. He couldn't have been more than 7 and even more strangely he had no discernable facial features. We clearly saw his form however and that he was sitting in the window as though he were waiting for someone to come get him.

When we got into the house there was nothing there. After that for weeks I had a nagging feeling that someone was following me around in the apartment. And just to make sure it's presence was known it began to mess up my dining room table mostly picking the candles out of the holders and throwing them on the table cloth, knocking over salt & pepper shakers that sort of thing; childish behavior. It did this over and over again. No matter how hard I scrunched the tapers in the holders, they would be pulled out and thrown on the table. I found it odd since the candles would be fine as long as we were in the dining room, for hours on end if we were entertaining, never a problem at all. But when I would leave the room and come back, candles would be out of the holders and on the table.

One day I had just put the candles back in their holders really annoyed that this was happening AGAIN and no sooner had I put them in there, right before my eyes, they were pulled out one after the other and literally thrown on the table with the force of a young child having a temper tantrum or something. I finally got upset and yelled out loud - "STOP IT! Don't TOUCH MY STUFF ANYMORE!" Amazingly, it never happened again after that.

I have to believe looking back on this now, that if there was a "ghost" of a young boy in the house, he was attracted to the dining room area because it was where I had my craft supplies stored in one of the hutches and on one wall I had hung up my framed picture of the old dinosaur grandmother from that sitcom DINOSAURS. Inside the dining room was also a huge mahogany circular staircase that led up the second floor apartment, the door at the top was sealed shut but there was all those gorgeous wooden steps and was the perfect place to put interesting stuffed animals; gave it a more family friendly vibe and made you want to climb that staircase. The room was beautiful, spacious and yet it had some whimsy in there that would have appealed to a child, more so than the other rooms in the apartment.

Before we moved out of there, I had a really frightening experience. I was home alone; my boyfriend was at his job. I was laying on the waterbed and I was awakened by something pressing me into the mattress to the point where I was having trouble breathing. It was horrifying. It wouldn't let me up. I was struggling to catch my breath. Some people claim this is a sleep paralysis thing, but I wasn't asleep anymore. I was awake by this time and struggling to get up. Something was holding me down. It eventually let me go. I jumped out of that bed and waited until my guy got home and told him about it. We decided we really needed to move out of there. So we found a house, also in South Omaha, but with a much friendlier vibe to it.

What a creepy place that was!

Other hauntings by Acultofpersonality

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Acultofpersonality, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
EEK! Your ex neighbor gave me the creeps when you explained what you felt.
I don't have the intuition you explained but I know my mother does.
Well for the last experience in the house I could only imagine that whatever was there liked you so much that it didn't want you to leave.
I'm glad you found a better place to live.
Thanks for your experiences, it was interesting to read!

❤ Qt
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
hi thankyou for sharing, I found it very interesting, I really believe that all all need to trust our gut feeling such as intuition, also I am glad that you have moved to a place with a friendly vibe, cheers di
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Acultofpersonality,

The strangest part to understand for me in this story was the bit where you got clear information about your neighbour! Amazing... It was spot on!

However personally I find that where memories are concerned, we by human nature tend to exaggerate. Does not mean we are making things up, just means that we picture it with the most minuscule details. Great story, thanks for sharing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
Acultofpersonality: Very interesting account... Like you, I have total strangers come up to me and start pouring their hearts out if I don't put out my "don't f**k with me" vibe😆...You know, the whole area seemed to have a negative air, right?...There's probably a lot of history that you don't, or even want to, know... Glad you're in a better place now...

Did you ever notice any of your stuffed animals out of place, or missing?...I think this little guy was just messing with you, and was maybe too shy to come out while you were entertaining...

Thank you for posting, and I'm looking forward to reading more from you 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
You really do have a very strong intuition and pretty dead on too. Wow! I am still in shock at how much information that guy gave you. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. Ugh! It just goes to show no matter how much rennovation, painting, and changing you do to a place you can't change the history. Creepy will always be creepy. Thanks for sharing your story with us. 😊
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
I agree with DeviousAngel. Your intuition really saved you that day, and it certainly kept your mind clear despite going over to the pimp's apartment, though I probably would have done the same (not smart, I know) for curiosity's sake.
Shouting out like that to the child ghost would have been my first method of advice. Your words are stronger than you know, especially to a child. I'm glad it did the trick for you.
Hopefully your new house won't give you any problems. I hope you and your boyfriend, if you're still together, will finally be able to live in peace.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
I think intuition is one of the most amazing survival instincts that humans possess. It is really odd how its intensity varies from person to person, but sometimes it can save your life. I hope that you did not hang out with that guy again after that. I know I certainly would not!

As far as the boy was concerned, I feel a little bad for him. I know he was throwing your stuff around and eventually it would have irritated me too. But in hindsight, maybe you could have put a specific stuffed animal on the stairs and tell the boy it was for him to play with? It might have distracted him from playing with your dining set instead and he would have felt comforted that you were being kind to him. What you described still sounds to me like sleep paralysis, but you would know better than I would I suppose. You do not have to be fully asleep to experience an episode. It is just that your brain releases a chemical that paralyzes your body for a time to protect you from thrashing in your sleep, and the whole point is that you wake up paralyzed because the chemical is still going through you even though you are awake. Whereas yes you may have been fully awake when you realized the paralysis was happening, that does not mean that it rules out SP as a factor.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: