You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting Greensleeves Song Musicbox

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting Greensleeves Song Musicbox

 

I work in a retail store in Shepparton, Victoria. There is a musicbox song that plays at least once a week and it seems to be around the same area of the store near the mirrors and curtains section, or sometimes it will follow you around the store and things seem to fall off the stock shelves. Most of the time the music that plays seems to be in the morning or when its getting dark. Most of the staff at work are aware of it and my Manager has experienced things flying off shelves in a strange manner or curtain rods falling off. At one stage she was almost knocked out when a curtain rod fell on her and caused some bruising. One of the new staff mentioned to me that when she was sent upstairs to get some layby items for a customer she heard a whistle when there was no one there or its an area where customers do not enter. She said it was a creepy whistle like as if it was calling her type of whistle, not a wolf whistle or anything like that.

I should also mention that right next to this building is the town's electricity power plant, and before it was a retail store there were tomato farms there over 50 years ago.

Anyway the song that the musicbox plays is 'Greensleeves' apparently it is a song composed back in the 16th or even 15th century. For those who know about music you will know this song, I have looked up the lyrics to the song and it seems to be a sad love song I think its about a love betrayal.

Have any other readers experienced music haunting or musicbox hauntings or anything like that?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, susi82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-22)
I'm new-ish, and I don't want to go against site etiquette, but my attention was drawn here by the Recent Comments feature and I hope it's all right to comment on old stories.

Greensleeves is the most well-known pre-19th century piece of music I can think of, except for patriotic ones. IMO, it isn't odd for anyone of any age to know it; it's often learned by children at school, and is featured in lots of movies and TV.

I wonder if one of the employees had it as a ring tone on their cell phone, or maybe an employee at the power plant next door, who would go outside for breaks now and then (depending on the window situation and the layout of buildings/parking lots). Perhaps it was coming from a phone in someone's purse in a back room. It's surprising sometimes how music will carry.
ForbiddenKitten (1 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-09-18)
Hi

I have a friend who messaged me on Facebook a few moments ago, telling me that he had heard this tune in his house. He was sitting there, and all the sudden, he heard the tune "Greensleeves"
At first,
He didn't know what the tune was.
He tried whistling the tune into Sound Hound and his phone tweaked out and shut off.
Only when his wife came home from work, is when she whistled the tune to her.
She said that it was "Greensleeves"
He's pretty freaked out right now.
I had asked him if he had heard it before, maybe from his childhood? And he said maybe, and that it was very alureing.
So I tried researching it and all I found was the origin of the song, and this website.
He wants to know why he heard it.
They have 2 boys, and it wasn't from one of their toys.
And they don't have a music box
He said he tried following the tune and it lead him into the living room and then faded out.
Does anyone know why he heard it?
His house has a history. And not a very light one, mind you.
If anyone has any idea as to why he heard it, please let me know.
Thank you.
IrishGuy (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-04)
Elvis did a version with different words, it was adapted as a song titled "Stay Away".You say there was a retail store before it, do you know what the store sold? Is it possible the melody being heard is residual. Just a thought.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
Because I am full of useless information & want others to be as well...

Greensleeves was written by Henry VIII - some insist on saying "supposedly" but I have never seen credible evidence that the composer should be doubted. And all music enters the public domain 75 years after the composer / writer (lyrics) dies. Sorry, I try to control myself but I just can't help spewing trivia.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
What's interesting is that the melody itself is well known, though not necessarily by the title "Greensleeves"...One of my favorite melodies in fact...It's smooth, simple and haunting..."A Home in the Meadow" and the Christmas hymn "What Child Is This?" borrowed the melody... Guess they didn't have copy rights in the 1500's 😆...
susi82 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
stephyw2001

Thanks for your comment, well I was told it was the "Greensleeves song" which is quite old. Sorry I should clear up that the sound is a music box but there isn't one at all in the shop. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to mention business names here so ill just tell you that its a well known store know for selling craft things, fabrics, manchester,toys, books and so on.
susi82 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
Hi Shell1982

Looks like we were born in the same year. Well to be honest I'm not sure about the tune of the ice-cream vans but it does make sense. I don't think they play that song anyhow. Have not heard one for a while as its been winter but now we are in spring so may be hearing them more often soon
susi82 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
Hi Devious Angel

I only know because that is what I have been told it is and also one of the staff that plays musical instuments and has been taught to play this song knows it. Hope that clears it.
susi82 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
Hi Moongrim

Sorry,its a late reply I know. Thank you so much for the links the first and second link could not be more spot on. The cd christmas music cd link is exactly the same tune as the music that plays.
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
Do ice cream vans in your part of the world play Greensleeves? In the UK, a lot of ice cream vans play a tinkly, music box-like rendition of Greensleeves (or other songs like nursery rhymes) as they drive. If I heard that while at work, I'd assume one was driving by.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
Well I don't think its odd that you knew the song's name was Greensleeves. It's a common song, especially if you ever played in band/orchestra. Hell, probably even choir. But its interesting that it plays at the same times. What interests me more is what kind of retail store do you work in? Music boxes aren't really hot items, so I'm kind of curious what else you have in the store?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
Hey, maybe earworms are paranormal...?

Or not...
Lou
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-25)
I have heard of haunted music boxes before, although in this case I believe it is something connected to either the shop or land, is this music box brand new? I am familiar with the Greensleves tune as I had to learn it on the acoustic guitar, kind of creepy in a way. Good luck to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-25)
I am curious about how you figured out which song it was... Not many young people today (I am assuming the 82 in your name implies your birth year) know the name of that song. Most people our age do not even recognize it let alone know the name, without having taken music lessons of some kind which required it to be played. I might be on board with Moonunit here, especially because of which set of lyrics was chosen for this story, but I am on the fence at this point.
alicerein (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-25)
ahahahaha...that's many of possibility:
-that's juz a naughty ghost cause they're wait for they time to go to last destination they waited here. Cause boring, we all like to tease, ghost is as same.
-it's really a ghostly musicbox, which was accompanied by its owner spirit... Maybe its owner is bad or good
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
I was at my fiances house alone about 9 years back and after having an interesting dream (it is lost on me now all I rememver is that it was interesting) I heard flute like music dancing across the back yard. It wasn't like it was standing still or walking, but dancing! It would get closer and then farther and eventually faded away. It was so strange...
imjanetita (1 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-23)
hi. I have this music haunting me for 4 years. It's a tagalog song (from Philippines) titled "Bato sa Buhangin. An oldie song which I first heard from the movie. Whenever I hear this song, something miserable happen like terminating from job, fighting with my husband, getting bad news or anything that makes me cry.
I tried to contra it by praying but still nothing happen. When my husband and I heard it last month at the mall, he prayed to contra so that nothing bad happen, and one week after that, he lost a job.
So whenever I hear this song, I know something bad will happen. I guess it serves as a warning to me and be aware of what will happen. 😐
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
I too have experienced a musical haunting. I have my suspicions about it, but am not entirely certain of its origin story. My music, however, was not a tune that I recognized. It was a run of seven notes, repeating itself about three or four times before fading away. Very strange indeed.
loca_mocha (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
No I'm sorry. But I have had someone whistle at me! It was really creepy 😁 hope all is well ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: