You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Ghostly Black Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Black Cats

 

Having read many stories here about ghost animals, I thought I would share mine about my ghost cat. When I was a small child my parents and I lived with my grandfather in his house. It was a big Edwardian detached house in the south-east of England and had been in our family a while as it had been built by my great-grandfather.

When I was about two or three years old, I would always insist on my mother taking me up the stairs to bed with the lights off, because then I could see and talk to my friend, the black cat, sitting halfway up the stairs.

In my mind's eye, I can still see the cat now, just sitting there, looking at me with its green eyes shining in the dark, as cat's eyes do! If the lights were on, it wouldn't be there.

My grandfather died soon after, and my father inherited the house. My grandfather had had a cat called Monty, and when I no longer saw the cat on the stairs, I assumed Monty had died.

I continued living at the same house with my family until I left to go to college.

Many years later, I was talking to my mother about my childhood, and she told me that it really used to freak her out that I always wanted to go up to bed in the dark when I was little, but, being a good mother, she never told me that it had scared her.

I said I had only wanted to do it so I could see grandfather's black cat Monty on the stairs every night.

My mother looked shocked, and said grandfather's cat was a ginger, and had died three years before I was born, and there were no cats in the house when I was a small child!

Many other unexplained things happened while I lived there, but I will add them another time if anyone would like me to.

Other hauntings by netnix0

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, netnix0, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ShilRoy13 (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-03)
Very scary... But interesting... Hope to hear more stories from you! 😊
netnix0 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
Have been travelling for a couple of weeks but many thanks for all your comments.
Nysa, that is a good question, but I really cannot remember if the cat disappeared around the time of my grandfather's death. I guess I was too young to remember.
And geetha50, it would be lovely to think the black cat was a family guardian. Some years later, when I was about 8, I got a real cat a tabby called Mitzi, she lived to be 19 years old. My current cat, Berry, another tabby is nearly 17 and he's still going strong! But I digress... Will post more about experiences in that house soon... Bye for now.
BatsuTora (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-02)
i agree with DeviousAngel... I see cats as guardians and I love your story ^_^ it's really touching and interesting:D
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
My first thought was the same as DeviousAngel. I think the cat was / is a guardian angel. I would love to hear more of your stories.
melisha (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
i liked this story! 😁
I think its a bit weird you still see the cat but maybe it likes bing with you or something 😕
smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
this is sweet, aw. Please post more of your stories! We'd all love to hear more.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
great story adding this to favs 😊
I enjoy reading storys of pets returning to the family home, and I hope you do post more of your stories.
Thanks for adding this one
Carl
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Love this story! Curious as to the kitty but something we will never understand. It is awesome that you had a good and happy experience and it atleast taught you not to be afraid of the dark.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Am I understanding right that the cat disappeared when your grandfather died?
Dameon (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
I for one would like to hear/ read more about strange things happening, can't seem to get enough.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
That is definitely very interesting. I wonder if the cat was some kind of guardian to you or your family? Most children are afraid of the dark so it might freak me out a little as a parent if my kid preferred it too!
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
That was a neat story! So cool that you got to see that! I am glad it was nothing spooky! 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: