You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Imposing Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Imposing Man

 

My fiance and I decided a few days ago to spend some time apart while we deal with our individual personal issues. In spite of our separation we still see each other occasionally, and since we were best friends before we were a couple we still get along very well. On this past Friday afternoon he was asked to help watch over his grandmother while his parents were away. His grandmother has been diagnosed with dimentia and requires constant care. He invited me to come over since we had to discuss the finances anyway.

His grandparents' house is built in sort of a circle. When you walk in the front door you are in the sitting room. There is an L-shaped wall that divides the sitting room from the TV room and the TV room from the kitchen. The sitting room opens up to the kitchen on your right, which extends all the way to the back door. To the left of the sitting room is a hallway. If you go down the hallway, there is a bedroom on the left (where his grandmother sleeps, also the room his grandfather died in), a bathroom and an unoccupied second bedroom to the right, at the opposite end of the hall. Where the second bedroom is, the hall opens up again to the TV room, where we were sitting. That room also leads to the back door. A little confusing but hopefully you get the idea.

As we were watching TV I kept getting really uncomfortable feelings. I knew that his grandfather had died in the house but that did not bother me. As far as I understood, his grandfather was a good guy and had lived a long life. I did not associate the feelings I was having to his grandfather. I did not necessarily feel threatened, but I felt as though I was being watched very critically. I got up to go to the bathroom and as soon as I got into the hallway, I stopped right in front of the bathroom door. I did not see anything, but I got a very clear mental image of a man walking down the hallway from the bathroom door to stand in the doorway of his grandmother's room. She was sleeping, and as far as I could tell he was just standing there watching her. I thought that I might just be imagining things, so I shook off the unease and went into the bathroom.

I was only in there for a couple of minutes, but after I had finished my business I felt the overwhelming sensation that a presence had entered the room. As I washed my hands, I felt the hairs on my arm prickle and from my mind's eye I could see the image of a tall, imposing man standing beside the sink. He was wearing a blue plaid shirt and either slacks or jeans, I could not really tell which, but they were dark in color. He wore dirty brown work boots and his long sleeves were partially rolled up. He had a thick face, not really fat but somewhat wide, and a full beard. His cheeks were flushed in a way that reminded me of alcoholic's rosacea. His hair was dark reddish brown and curly, and his eyes were light. I want to say blue but they could have been green. As quickly as I could, I went back into the TV room and sat beside my fiance. I started to feel sick to my stomach. I had planned to be at a friend's house at 6:30 that night, so as I was leaving around 6, I decided to ask my fiance about what I had experienced.

I first asked him, "I am not trying to freak you out or anything but have you felt like anything was in the house?" He knew what I was talking about when I said this because we have discussed our paranormal experiences with each other openly before. He confirmed my feelings, and before I had described the man or anything about him, he told me that he felt the presence of a very big man, not fat but of a tall and sturdy build. I was floored. I described in detail what I believed the man looked like, and as we said our goodbyes he assured me that he would ask his mom and stepdad about it, and if they knew anything about the previous owners of the house.

Later on that evening as I was at my friend's house, my fiance sent me text messages sharing a little bit of the information he had discovered from his parents. According to his stepdad, his grandmother occasionally talked to someone named George that no one else could see. They naturally assumed it was her dimentia and did not think much of it.

Now I am not sure where my fiance's parents found all of this out, but I do plan to ask. His parents told him that his grandparents were the second owners of the house, which was built back in the '50s. The first owners were a husband and wife. One day the wife suddenly left the husband, and he grew depressed and began to drink. Most likely in a drunken stupor, he had laid down on the tile floor in the kitchen and shot himself in the shoulder. Supposedly he had not planned to kill himself, but had hoped to bring his wife back by making her feel sorry and/or guilty for him. His bizarre, alcohol and depression-fueled plan went awry, however... Instead of simply wounding himself, the bullet pierced an artery and he bled to death before he could get help. When my fiance's grandparents had first moved in, there was a section of the kitchen tile that had been replaced.

My fiance and I plan to do some research this week. We are going to check out the property records and hopefully dig up some information on the name of the man who lived there. If we can come up with a name, then we might be able to check obituaries and see if we can find out the cause of death and anything else about him. It would be very interesting to find out if his name was George...

Other hauntings by DeviousAngel

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeviousAngel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-29)
I'll be in and out, depending on how life is going. Oddly enough, since I posted my last comment I've been seeing shadows and lights out of the corner of my eye. I dismissed it at first as playing too many video games, but I started noticing them as soon as I would sit down to turn on my laptop. Sometimes I get weird feelings from them, other times it's rather neutral.

My step-dad's parents both passed away in the same room, and I end up at their house a lot these days. I try to avoid the room because there is a strange smell (I can only describe it as the smell of death) even after leaving the windows open. I've had plenty of late nights of gaming at said house, and every once in a while I get this really weird, creepy vibe that just disappears as quickly as it comes. No more than a second or two, but it interrupts whatever I'm doing. I can't call it paranormal, because I have nothing to accurately base it on. My mom and I have talked about doing a cleansing of the house, but there are so many trinkets and useless things around here we want to clear them out prior to trying anything since anything could be the source of said feelings. It may just be the house itself, I don't know. Anyways, I'll see you guys around.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
Smokey!
About time you showed up. I agree. I believe your grandmother was having a talk with George all those times. No doubt in my mind hun.
Don't be such a stranger buster! We could use a good debunker around here.

Jav 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
Smokey: Welcome back, and thank you for the update... My condolances to you for your loss...

I'm still fascinated by this account, and now knowing that D/A wasn't the only other one who experienced his presence reinforces my belief that your Grandmother wasn't hallucinating at all...

Again, thanks for the update! 😊
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
On the subject of the suicide, I don't have the name of the previous owner of the house. What I can tell you is the tile was redone a while back, so the tile where the bullet hole was is gone. The tile from then was a brownish-red, since replaced by something a little lighter. The hole was plugged and covered, I was in Iraq when the tile was replaced so I never saw the actual bullet hole. I remember one piece of tile being discolored prior to the tile having been replaced.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
First post back, good to see you guys missed me. Don't work on your aim too much though.

As you all may or may not be aware, I am in fact D/A's former fiance. She and I are still on good terms, and I respect her greatly. This experience was very interesting for me, because I had tried to ignore it for years when I was at that house. My grandmother has since passed away, and was too far gone mentally to get anything out of her about the whole thing. My grandmother is actually my step-grandmother, my step dad's mother.

There were times when my grandmother would talk in a very casual tone with "George". I would walk to the door and stand outside listening or even step into the room to see if I could catch something. She would usually be looking toward the closet (which was closed) that had mirrors. The thought had run across my mind that maybe since she was going blind and deaf, that maybe she was talking to her own reflection. But in light of not wanting her to get bed sores, we would turn her and even facing the wall I would hear her speaking to "George". When I would stand in the room or leave my phone in there to record, most of what was said was not understandable. It would be a random assortment of words, sometimes with comprehensible statements in the mix.

Picking my grandmother's brain was impossible given the dementia. She had grown very aggressive and hostile, even to the point of being combative.

The "spirit" D/A has described I've felt for years. My grandmother's house is two doors to the west of my house, so for about 19 to 20 years I have been at that house nearly every day. I've felt that presence as long as I can remember, but I blocked it out as much as I could. But that day D/A came over, I couldn't block it out any more. Strangely enough, since my grandmother passed, things have been calm. Couple weird feelings, but not like it had been.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Shell: Such is perception of words on a page...I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention...
Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
zzsgranny: I know this was posted ages ago, but I've just seen it. You correctly say that many hallucinations in people with dementia are not true "hallucinations" but misinterpretations of the world around them. However, this distinction is irrelevant here - a misinterpretation could just as easily account for "George" as could a genuine hallucination. When I used the word "hallucination" I was using it in the widely understood, colloquial sense of "experiencing something that isn't really there." I wasn't making a judgement on the neurological basis underlying that experience. I found the tone of your post a little patronising, and a bit insulting considering my dad has this disease and therefore I ought to know quite a lot about it.

DeviousAngel: I find that people with dementia often behave as though they are possessed by a demon. I really can't think of a better way to describe their behaviour sometimes than that. That's all I meant.:)
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-02)
granny, thank you for adding that! Although blood is easy enough to get off of tile, I agree that it takes a lot more elbow work and probably some kind of steam cleaning method to get it out of the grout. As far as I know the usual grout they use here is the standard white stuff, not sure what exactly it is made out of but the texture is very porous like plaster. I think that is the same stuff they used for the kitchen tile. Also not sure what the tile is made of but it seems smooth, like porcelain almost? It might be terra cotta. If I can get permission, I will see about taking a photo of just the tile next time I go over there so you all can see it.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Lou and D/A: I think it may be possible that the tiles needed replaced if the grout was stained, since most of us take better care of our decks than our tile grout, as far as yearly sealings go...It's hard to just scrape the grout out between tiles, much more efficient to tear it all up and start again... Just tossin' that out there...Also, it would depend on the type of clay used for the tiles... Here in the Southwest, terra cotta is used quite frequently; it doesn't hold glaze well, and is very porous, so it would stain quite easily, if the sealing hadn't been done regularly...
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Miracles' suggest of the spirit guiding Gavin's grandmother over did come to mind but it wasn't the first thought. I felt that it was ghost who didn't feel comfortable with a stranger in his house. I would like to know more about what happened in the house so keep us updated. It would be nice to know that someone is waiting for Gavin's grandmother to help her over to the other side but like you said, I just hope that he doesn't keep her here for company. I figured that if someone was here to help Gavin's grandmother it would be his grandfather.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
D/A,
I agree. I doubt his parents would tell you something they did not believe. I forgot that he shot himself while lying on the floor... That would require more than just wiping up. If it is the type of tile I imagine, it is difficult to get one out without damaging others, so several may need to be replaced to repair a single tile.

Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Lou, I could not agree with you more. Me and bathrooms really are not friends at this point. I think it is because one of my biggest fears is something horrible happening while I am in the bathroom, non-paranormal related, like a massive earthquake or the zombie apocalypse. I do not want to be remembered as the girl that died sitting on the throne or taking a shower. 😭

I really do not know much about flooring but what you have said makes sense. I did not pay much attention to the tile but I did not see thick grout, really... It looked fairly normal to me. I think it had to be replaced because of the bullet hole, not so much the blood. I have cut my foot and some bleach did the trick. I am interested to know where they got this info from too, because it sounds very legend-y to me, but his parents are honest people and I cannot imagine them lying about something like that.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
D/A.
Interesting...if it were possible, I would recommend you stay clear of bathrooms, girl. Sheesh!

One thing I am certain of is that you will investigate the story as it was told to you and provide us with any findings. The part that stuck out to me... Depending on whether or not it were a type of flooring that required a thick grout line that could get discolored, why would you have to replace tile in this instance? Carpeting, for sure...hardwood, most likely... Even concrete absorbs liquid to a degree... But tile, unless it is very old; would usually wipe up pretty clean.

Like I said, I know you will check it out and let us know of you findings. Good luck with everything that is going on and keep us posted.

Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and comment! I would have responded sooner but I ended up having my brother take me to Urgent Care last weekend because I was having chest pains. Have I mentioned I hate hospitals?

Taz: I definitely think you could be correct, and that is something that I believe I brought up to the other half as well. If George is indeed not a 'red herring', then I certainly think he could be there to help her cross over. My only worry about that is that if he has not crossed over himself, I hope he does not try to keep her here for company...

Shell1982: Thank you for your comment. It could be that George is just a figment of her imagination or a hallucination of someone she knew in the past. I am certainly not settling on him being a real person until I know about the presence I felt/'saw' for sure. I do know for certain that SOMETHING is there, so it is not too much of a stretch for me to think that his Grandma could be talking to that entity, and possibly even wrongfully assuming he is her 'George'. Though I am not sure what you meant by the demonic possession part.

Jav: Thank you for the direction. The historical society is certainly a place worth doing some research. I hope we can get some of that done this week of the schedules allow! You also brought up a very good point about the missing pets, something big coming, etc. I think a lot of people have been feeling very unsettled and anxious lately. You are right about animals acting up around the time of various natural disasters. Their senses are so much better than ours, so I believe they can hear it coming long before we do. California is way too long overdue for a major earthquake, so I guess we will see... The only good thing about Cali is that we have the architectural requirements for earthquake reinforcements on public buildings and most newer houses, so hopefully if one does hit the damage will not be too severe. Though I do remember the Northridge earthquake that struck when I was a kid... Watching the pavement roll in waves like the ocean was a freaky, freaky thing.

TwistedAngel: Thank you for your comment. Whereas I agree that George may not be the name of the entity whose presence I felt, and he may be someone different entirely, I do still firmly stand by my belief that SOMEONE'S spirit is in that house. And I have a pretty good feeling it was the man who killed himself.

Darkness: Thank you friend. 😊 I will let you guys know as soon as I find anything out. I would definitely like to know the truth behind this whole thing myself.

I also wanted to point out that though this presence felt a little menacing mostly on account of his stature, I did not feel endangered or get a sense of evil from him. The only thing I felt was concern, or perhaps criticism--possibly of us young whipper snappers in our strange modern ways 😆 In a way, I kind of feel like he is just guarding the house in general. If nothing else, there is homework on the horizon...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Hey Devious😊 we can safely assume that this isn't just Gavins Grandmother's Dimentia playing up here, the fact that you had this whole experience is what seals the deal for me. Looking forward to hearing what you find at the city hall that's exciting! 😁 I like Miracles guide theory aswell, but the feeling you received from this experience is what gets me!😕 Cant wait to hear about your findings Devious!

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Dan
XxTwistedAngelxX (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
This is one of those stories that may or may not be real. 'George' may just be a coincedence, because dementia patients often hallucinate. If he is real, don't be afraid of him. Ghosts are just tortured spirits unable to find their resting place. I hope you find out the information you need, as my guess is as good as yours. Thanks x
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
Shell: Well, I've done a little research on hallucination in those with dementia, and found that it really isn't common, and if it occurs at all stems from an underlying physical or mental cause not related to dementia... Visual and auditory misinterpretations are not the same as true hallucinations... Most of those stricken with this syndrome are of an age where their eyesight and hearing are failing anyway, and they experience illusions; simple mistakes caused by the loss of cognitive skills needed to reason logically...

"Grandma" isn't talking to herself, she's talking to "George"...It will be interesting to see D/A's findings...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
[at] DeviousAngel and zzgranny
One more 'running with scissors' theory...
I have concerns about something you two mentioned. The feeling that something big is on the horizon? I know that earthquakes occur all the time in different spots around the world. However, the higher magnitude quakes that we've been seeing in the past ten or so years have caught my attention.
Devious, you live in California, I was born and raised there too. And in the same general area as you. When I was growing up, if there was a quake the magnitude of what we've seen in Japan and the quake that killed a quarter million people in Indonesia a few years back, that would have had many more people worried than seem to be now. Those two quakes actually affected the earth's rotation and took seconds off the day.
I would be paying attention to the amount of "Lost Pet" posts in the newspapers and online, for your area. When that count makes a dramatic increase in numbers of missing pets it's a good indication of a natural disaster looming. It may sound silly, but it is something to think about. When the earth makes dramatic shifts like we've been seeing, it also creates a massive electro-magnetic field. And we all know what that means.
The rise in reported paranormal activity is something I've noticed as well, and we can't be the only ones who've wondered about this.
Well, sorry for going on forever here, but it has been on my mind.

Jav

~I have got to put these scissors away, they're starting to freak me out~
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
DeviousAngel,
It has occurred to me that his reason for making his presence known to others may signal a change or a future event involving his grandmother is on the horizon. He could get others to watch her more closely if they knew he was real and not simply a Dementia related imaginary friend. And the fact that since he got your attention, which then provoked your and Gavin's interest, resulting in Gavin going over to stay, his actions would then have been justified and he may not need to make his presence as pronounced as he had that day.
Now comes my 'running with scissors' theory...
From the way he showed himself to you in your minds eye, he sounds like he worked outdoors, physical labor. Back then, in California, there were so many infrastructure type projects going on, that I wouldn't be surprised if he worked for the state or county in some capacity.
If you do happen to get his name, this is a long here so bear with me on this one, you may be able to find a photo with him in it from the archives at the city's Historical Society. He would stand out because of his size and full beard. Like I said, it's a long shot, but it would be cool. Talk about verification!

Jav

~I'd love to see Gavin come back myself, he was one of my favorite posters. I've always considered him a friend, and I miss him around here. 😊
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
I think "George" may be a red herring here. Lots of dementia patients hallucinate, particularly about people or animals. Please send my love to your fiance; my dad has dementia, and it's really rough for the family. Now, if you want to equate dementia with a paranormal phenomenon, try demonic possession...
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
devious very interesting post thanks for adding it. Did have the same thoughts as miracles, as sad as it is he could be a guide for his gran but then again in her mental state she could just be more open to george and his presence.
Looking forward to reading what if any information you find.
Carl
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
DA - as one of the veterans who knows who your fiance is, I hold no grudges. I hope you know that. If he is up to sharing his story, and I feel there is anything I can contribute that can help, I will.

Have you tried meditating to see if you can tap into George anymore? See if he is connected to the house or to your fiance's grandmother?

I just wonder if he was "waiting" on her. Would be weird maybe, but could he be her escort? Just checking on her to see how close she is. I know how morbid that sounds, and I'm so sorry for the way it comes across. I just don't know how to make it sound...nicer.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Nysa & Stephy: Thank you for your comments! I will have to ask his parents about the tone uses with 'George', but from what I understand it is pretty much conversational. She seems to just talk to him, though I am not really sure what is said. A lot of her talk is just nonsense.

As far as the dimentia goes, she is in a pretty advanced stage... Most of the time she does not know the year, her age, where she is, and who the people around her are. She seems to talk about her life as if she were living in a different time frame, and it comes and goes at a moment's notice so it is really hard to decipher if George is in the present or someone from her past that she remembers talking to. I will definitely be doing more research though, and thank you for your questions and suggestions! Keep them coming... The more ideas I get the more we can research, and hopefully discover.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Wow, what did the grandmother have to say about "George"? What were her feelings? Dementia is such a sad disease. 😢 The ironic thing is it will come in handy to determine the intentions of "george". I'm not sure what stage Dementia she's in, but generally, a patient with it will respond to how they're feeling. So if she's worked up, and nervous, or violent, its safe to say "George's" intentions may be bad. Likewise if she's peaceful. I hate to make grandmother sound like a guinea pig, but hopefully it will help with the feelings of unease in the home. Keep us posted!
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
I am curious about the tone of the conversations his grandmother has with "George." If it sounds like they get along or if she sounds like she is uncomfortable or if she is trying to keep him in check. I hope you find a photo as well as the account of the owner's death. If you can figure out the year it happened, finding a newspaper article shouldn't be too hard. Of course if that guy is not George you will have some real digging to do! Can't wait to hear more.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Granny: Thank you for your input and for your support through this and the other weird stuff that has been going on for me lately. It really does seem like there is some kind of profound energy shift going on in the world, does it not? Like you said, others are experiencing a lot of things right now too. I really do not know what to make of it.

I had been planning to go with Gav to City Hall to look up the property records, since he knows where it is and apparently it is not far from the house where this took place. I just did not get the chance because this week was chaotic. I am going to see him today though, so I might get the chance. I will definitely keep you all posted when I find something.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
D/A: Wow!...That sounds rather unnerving...I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out about the house, too... Since it's not that old, it should be relatively easy to obtain tax records, census records, etc...

It would be nice to hear Gavin's perspective on this; what his theories are about why this person has chosen now to make himself known to someone other than his grandmother...

Thanks for posting, and please keep us posted ❤
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
It kind of seems like he was thinking, "Who is this person and what are they doing in my house?" That's the impression I get.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Thank you for reading my experience. Since this happened my fiance has been staying there helping his grandmother. He has not yet told me if he has experienced anything else yet, but I am going to try and encourage him to come back to the site and comment. He was here a while back and most of you veterans would probably remember him, most likely in a negative light (lol), but we never made our relationship public... A select few know who he is. Anyway, I hope that he will be able to share his perspective on the whole thing, because it was a very interesting and unnerving situation. I cannot even begin to describe how closely I felt this presence watching me.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Very interesting experience! Please keep us posted on what else you find out. Seems like he still considers it to be his house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: