You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Podunk Poltergeist

Real Ghost Stories

Podunk Poltergeist

 

This is my first post on any type of paranormal forum page. I have always believed there are paranormal entities out there and have read many a story and browsed numerous collections of evidence. I have always been reluctant to post any experiences or discuss any with friends as they are all skeptics. However, on that note here I go.

This particular experience is not glamorous or over-the-top but none the less I felt this site was a fitting spot to share it. It happened almost 5 years ago. My boyfriend was working in a small Podunk town an hour drive from our city (which is the closest major city, population 110,000). The population of this Podunk town is less than a thousand and is in North Western Ontario.

He was living in a single wide trailer in the trailer park along with one of his then friends. They both drove snow plough and my boyfriend was on night shift. He left for work at 11:30pm for his midnight to 8:00am shift, while his friend and I sat down to watch a movie. Now the layout of the trailer was as follows: the back of the trailer was his friend's room, my boyfriends room was off the small hallway next to the bathroom, the kitchen was as soon as you walked into the trailer, a small closet divided the kitchen from the living room which was to the right of the entrance. The living room was laid out that one couch backed on the closet and the other under the windows at the front. I sat on the couch backing on the closet, it was the comfiest.

Throughout the movie I heard small tappings and scratching (like someone trying to pick something off a wall with their index finger) from the closet. I dismissed it as creaking due to the cold; it was -25 to -28 Celsius. Half way through the movie the friend left as he had been pocket dialed by his then girlfriend while she was on a date with another guy. Oops. He left abruptly to head to our city. I was left alone.

The sound from the closet grew more frequent not louder just at closer intervals; again I dismissed it as cold weather creaking. I called my boyfriend at around quarter to one in the morning to let him know his friend had left and I was just finishing the movie and heading to bed. I told him of the noises from the closet, he said "Oh yeah that is just our Podunk Poltergeist." chuckled and we said goodnight. I was just drifting off to sleep when I heard footsteps in the hall.

There was one spot in the hall that always squeaked loudly if you stepped on it, we all knew where it was and avoided it at night to avoid waking anyone up. It squeaked. I rolled over and called out to his friend thinking he had returned and in his state had forgotten about the spot. There was no answer only the sound of heavy footsteps and the trailer shaking side to side as if someone was stomping down the hall.

I will point out there was no wind it was a calm, clear night. I was awake when the friend returned at 7:30am to get ready for his shift at 8:00am. These sounds and hall walks happened a few more times during the time he lived there. None of us ever felt negativity in the trailer and were merely intrigued by the happenings. We never tried to communicate. I am wary on this front as I wish not to inadvertently open a door I could not close or hold someone here who is trying to get to the other side.

I will also note the trailer park was located across the road from the grave yard. However, this is only a side note and I do not wish to imply/indicate/suggest it was due to the cemetery across the road that the trailer was spiritually active but perhaps.

Other hauntings by Faustess

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Faustess, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Thank you to:
Argette and Nysa for the explanation. The story makes more sense 😁
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
I learned something new today! Thanks! I don't know, I probably would have run with my tail in between my legs. I would have thought it was an intruder or something!
Faustess (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

Taz - The activity was limited to foot steps in the hall and the sounds in the closet. I did check the closet (corners, walls, even up on a step ladder to check to top of the shelf) and there were no marks. We didn't use the closet (typical young adults we just threw our coats on the couches or floor) and there were no hangers in there that would account for noise.

Thanks to Nysa and Argette for explaining podunk. As mentioned this town has a population of 1000 or less and is somewhat isolated. There is actually either a Mennonite or Hutterite (not sure which) colony at the end of the road the trailer park was on.

I haven't been back to the trailer in almost 5 years. My boyfriend sill works in this town but now stays with co-works in a house. No activity there.

I have at least one more experience I will try and find the time to submit to post on here.

Thank you all again for allowing me to share. 😁
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Podunk is a sort of slang term for small town or backwater. It's kind of a general term for a small, maybe not too sophisticated town in the "sticks."
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Hades podunk just means small town, back-woodsy. It is sort of the opposite of urbane.
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Just out of curiosity what is a "podunk"? Please explain... Otherwise I am lost trying to understand your story, although it is creepy.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
how interesting was it just sounds or was there any other activity?
Did you ever check the closet for any signs of marks?
Just wondered.
Enjoyed the story anyway
Carl
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
What you experienced sounds pretty exciting. I wonder if this spirit was just trying to get a rise out of you? The activity did not sound threatening at all, just noisy. I am glad you were not really scared by it!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
Faustess: Confession time 😆...I had to google "podunk", though I could guess the meaning from the context of your story...

Anyway, I've had an experience with hearing footsteps also... Some people (my Mom and step-Dad) try to explain it away as the house settling, etc., but footfalls are an unmistakable sound...

Cool experience, thank you for posting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: