You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: It Was Always Right Behind Me

Real Ghost Stories

It Was Always Right Behind Me

 

This began when I was about... 8 or 9. I lived with my brother, my mother and my stepdad in what was definitely one of my favorite houses to live in (moved a couple of times). There was nothing scary about the house itself, it wasn't old, I never heard scary noises or saw weird thing in the shadows.

I'm the only one in the family who has had these kind of experiences. My stepdad doesn't believe, my brother is too down-to-earth for it and though my mum does think that these things are possible, she chooses to ignore because it scares her. I've never really told her about my experiences, though in this story she plays a part. I doubt she remembers though. Now that I'm writing this, I will ask her later today if she still remembers that night.

Anyway. My bedroom. I loved my bedroom. It was spacious and I felt safe there. There was a small desk, a closet for my clothes, a closet with a black door for my art supplies and toys, and my bed which stood against the wall right under my window. I tend (and still do) to sleep with my back pressed against the wall, facing the open of the room, on my side.

When I was young I just couldn't fall asleep when I was positioned differently: laying on my stomach, or facing the wall made me feel unsafe and unprotected for some reason. Sleeping on my back always gave me nightmares. I've grown more comfortable with sleeping on my other side or stomach over the years, but sleeping on my back is still something I try to avoid because I've gotten some bad cases of sleep paralysis - but that's really for another story.

I believe that during that time I had something... With me at night. I don't know what it was, but I would wake up, still with my back towards the wall but no longer pressed against it. Like I was pushed away to create room between myself and the wall, a space big enough for another body. I could feel a presence, breathing against the back of my neck, and a tongue.

Now, we did have a cat but she was always locked downstairs and it definitely didn't feel like a rough feline tongue. It was larger, smooth and slippery and cold. And it kept going, licking the back of my neck without a pause. It terrified me, I didn't dare to move so I would just lay there frozen in place for hours, too scared to sleep again, waiting for the sun to rise because when the sun came up, the licking would suddenly stop and presence would disappear.

This happened about 12 times over the course of a year with a few weeks in between each event: so once a month I guess. And it was always the same.

It got really annoying after a while though because I was losing sleep over it, I'd spent almost entire nights awake frozen in place. It was terrifying, but frustrating. So the last time it happened brave little 9-year-old me decided to do something against it. I slowly counted to 10, threw the covers off and made a run for it. My parents bedroom was right next to mine. I threw open the door of my bedroom and ran into the hallway - while I did I looked behind me and what I saw scared me to the core: a greyish black figure shaped like a man rose up from my bed and came towards me. At this point I was screaming, almost kicked open the door of my parent's bedroom and ran in crying that "there is a ghost in my room!"

The bedroom had one large window and my mother's side of the bed was on the window side, furthest away from the door. I ran around the bed to her side and curled up in a corner. From here I could see the door and the greyish-black figure followed me into the room, moved around the bed and phazed through the curtains and the window behind it. My mother was awake but she couldn't see it. I was too afraid to go back to my own room so my mother let me sleep in the bed with her.

The next night I slept in my own room again, and the thing-whatever-it-was never bothered me again. I think it was because, for once, I didn't just lay there accepting what it did, but ran instead and got help. It left and never came back.

What do you guys think it was? A ghost or a demon or something? It wasn't very powerful, just annoying and it seemed to feed off my fear (with success!) but standing up to it once was enough to make it go away. It never tried to communicate with me or anything. Feedback is much appreciated.

Other hauntings by Lynyme

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lynyme, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sarah84 (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
i can't tell you what it was that was 'attacking' you, but from what I can tell it was either an incubus or just a peverted spirit. The fact that it got up and followed you into your mums room points to it being just a perverted spirit. Also if it was an incubus you would have more then likely had your energy drained, not just from being awake all night. I suggest sleeping with maybe a piece of amythest or moonstone as thy can be used for protection. I personally know that amythest works so I would strongly recomend getting a piece and putting it under your pillow.
Blessed be 😊
kiwi12345 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-29)
i think that it was a lost spirit who wanted love... Thats probably why it was licking you
or it could have been a demon trying to make your worst fears come true that is what they always try to do...

you say the only time you felt safe was wen you faced an open space well I'm 13 and that's how I feel every night I hear noises but nothing is ever there or I just havnt saw it yet. I can't sleep on my back without having nightmares either I feel the same now as you did then.
Tohn (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
from what I read, you should check out Feng Shui and check out the information about your lucky direction, also check the information about bed postion etc. I have experience something different. As I'm sleeping but I know that I'm half awake. The strangest part is that as I'm sleeping, I could feel something tickling my neck and I laugh, I thought the furry blanket was tickling me but it wasn't at all, because I cover myself under the blanket and still, I could feel tickling on my neck. I woke up and saw nothing but darkness and street lights on the street and... Quietness.
Lynyme (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-06)
LuiDesu: Haha, perhaps it was indeed lonely but that didn't mean it should cuddle up with 9-year-old girls.

Javelina: Yeah it was very creepy, but I can laugh about it now. My friends find it hilarious that I got 'licked by a ghost'. 😜

Moongrim: Really, an incubus? Wow. XD Interesting. I will keep your advice in mind, thanks! It hasn't come back since that last time I stood up to it by running into my parent's bedroom. I'm 24 now so I doubt it will come back after 15 years, but who knows.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-05)
Apparition or more than likely an incubus.

Rough guess- bring some Cold Iron into your bed, say in a necklace (for obvious reasons).

Cold iron is a poetic and archaic term for iron, referring to the fact that it feels cold to the touch. In modern usage the term has been most associated with folkloric beliefs that iron could ward off ghosts, fairies, witches, and/or other malevolent supernatural creatures.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore#Cold_iron

If anything else- you can try rubbing some garlic juice or some other nasty tasting stuff on the back of your neck, before going to bed. Or if you believe in folk magick, you can create a small pouch with several protection herbs in it, including five-finger grass, cinnamon, and echinacea. However, don't overdo this. The point is to repel ghosts, not drive everyone away from you! *grin*

Http://www.hollowhill.com/guide/ifghost.htm
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-05)
Lynyme,
I couldn't say what that was. I only know that what it was up to was just plain creepy! Holy crapoly! Just thinkng about that gives me the heebie-jeebies!
Sorry I don't have more to add that would help figure out what was going on. I wish I knew.

Jav 😲
LuiDesu (3 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-04)
Lynyme, I don't really know what this means and can't help you to understand what you've experienced, but I think you were very brave to stand up against it.

In my opinion, this just doesn't sound friendly anymore and the thing definitely went too far and had to be stopped somehow. Good thing that it never came back.

(Or the spirit realm was too cold and unfriendly for your visitor and it needed someone to cuddle with... Just kidding!)

-Lui

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: