You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Creepy House I Grew Up In

Real Ghost Stories

The Creepy House I Grew Up In

 

The house I grew up in was really weird to say the least. Not to look at, it looked pretty normal, semi-detached, 3 bedroom house with a long back garden with flowers in etc. The only weird visible thing to anyone not living in the house would be the cemetery behind it, but living behind a cemetery wasn't what was scary about living there.

I'm not entirely sure how old I was when the first thing happened, maybe around 8 or 9, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I'd gone to bed and my mum was in the bath just down the hall. I liked to go to sleep with my door slightly open because I felt scared of the dark. Anyway, that day we'd been somewhere, I can't remember where, and I'd been bought a mouth organ. I'd been playing with it all day and my mum had put it in the cupboard opposite my bed. I was lying there starting to get sleepy when all of a sudden this mouth organ started playing! Not a tune, but it was like someone was blowing into it! I have no brothers or sisters and nobody could be in my room let alone in the cupboard blowing that thing, and for a split second I doubted I'd even heard it until my mum shouted for me to get into bed and go to sleep! This absolutely terrified me but to this day she doesn't believe me, nor does anyone else I've told.

So the second creepy event happened around a few years later, however all through my childhood I remember having awful dreams that felt real, in the dreams I'd get out of bed and try to get to my parents room because I was scared, but the light wouldn't turn on and the door handle wouldn't budge and I'd be terrified or SOMETHING and no scream would come out. I aren't really sure if this was a dream or not now? But this happened a lot. Anyway, creepy thing number 2. I was laid in bed reading a book and had this like, night light. It was a battery operated thing stuck to the wall above my bed that when you pushed it it turned on and off, anyway it was late and I felt uneasy as usual so left the light on to sleep, I fell asleep, only to be tapped on the shoulder quite forcefully. I opened my eyes immediately and nothing was there. My bedroom door was closed and I asked my mum next day and she hadn't been in.

This next one is the one that scared me the most and it's something I go over a lot, I still can't explain what happened. I may have been younger than I was with the things above. I was bored, and I was sat on my bed in my room, it was day time. There was a mirror on a dresser next to my bed and I could see myself in it. I started bouncing on the bed, just sat bouncing with my back to the wall, and this shadow of like a hand started rising from behind my head, and I stopped bouncing and it vanished, I started bouncing again and it started to raise from behind my head again. I shot out the room and down stairs to my mum who didn't believe me of course. I didn't go back in there all day and at night I had to be forced and told I was being silly. But I didn't imagine it at all, I still remember it vividly and it's making me shiver just typing about it.

Ever since I moved out, (I'm 27 now and living with my partner) I've had nightmares (like everyone does) but they all centred around that house. My dad still lives there, and it's a perfectly nice house, but there's something weird about it! He swears he sees an old man dressed in black standing in the corner or his room at night, and that an old lady sometimes hovers over him at night. He jokes that the old man is waiting for him to pop his clogs! How awful! Well any help in explaining would be nice, but I think I just wanted to get it all off my chest and onto people who would believe me as not many people (if anyone) seems to. Thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Emmapops, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
generalchaos, I think that was the name of it. It was featured on one of those Scariest Places America documentaries.

Thanks 😊
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
cosmogal926 - that sounds a lot like Cheesman park in Denver, CO.
Emmapops (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-08)
Yeah "popping his clogs" means just that! When you think about it, it doesn't make much sense? But anyhow. My mum would mostly tut and shake her head (I think because I tried so hard to convince her that it wasn't me playing that mouth organ) but we would often come home from a 2 week holiday and smell cooking in the downstairs toilet, which used to be part of the kitchen many years before. Also the dog would growl at nothing. She never denied that something was there but she never really spoke much about it. Maybe I should ask her!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
interesting story emmapops thanks for adding.
You say your dad experienced things but what about your mum?
[at] stephwy2001 that's exactly what popping your clogs means kicking the bucket...us brits say both, some even say pushing up the daisys.
Carl
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
What did you mean by "pop his clogs"? Is that like "kick the bucket" or "pushing daisies"? (death) I hadn't heard that one before.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Hi Emmapops, and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It is possible that the remains of some people buried on that land were disturbed or left behind when the cemetery was made smaller. I saw this documentary once about a haunted park that was once an old cemetery. It was not being cared for so they decided to move the bodies and make a park, only problem was there about 4000 graves. The undertaker figured if he used smaller caskets he could move more bodies and make more money. He ended up mixing up remains and leaving a lot behind. It is pretty creepy to think about something like that and you can't really blame the spirits for being a little annoyed. I'm thinking that either these spirits are there because they have no where else to go, or there is a vortex of some kind where they are able to enter and exit.
Emmapops (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Nysa - Thank you for your comment. The history of the house itself isn't that interesting, there was a lady living there before my dad and that was it. However, she had my bedroom and she passed away in that room. My dad tells me that before the house was built, that land was part of the cemetery and the cemetery was made smaller, but they wouldn't build a street over buried bodies would they? Who knows but I wouldn't think so.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-04)
The dream you describe is a typical reoccurring dream. It represents a fear of helplessness, it is not surprising you would have it since you could obviously feel that it was haunted, even if you did not see things as clearly as your father does now. The nightmares about the house now are to be expected as well, we often dream about the things that scared us when we were young. As for what / who is haunting it, it is hard to say. The behavior seems mildly aggressive, like an unpleasant person (people). Perhaps the history of the house would shed some light, but I suppose if a previous owner (who was not a very nice person) just returned after death researching the property won't really tell you that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: